• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

cyborg009

Banned
Indeed . I tried to go with the old style Dr Robotnik ( staying away from the 2006 creep)

Let try to forget that about that.

This game! I got my copy!!! It puts such a HUGE smile on my face! I just got JUMP!

First, it is beautiful. Like beyond beautiful. One of the prettiest games I have ever seen in my life. Second, it sounds lovely. Third, there's none of that bullshit padding they started Little Big Planet with. OMG I need a gif to express myself.

The best has yet to come.

No Love

Banned
This game! I got my copy!!! It puts such a HUGE smile on my face! I just got JUMP!

First, it is beautiful. Like beyond beautiful. One of the prettiest games I have ever seen in my life. Second, it sounds lovely. Third, there's none of that bullshit padding they started Little Big Planet with. OMG I need a gif to express myself.

OMG BRO U SHOULDVE WAITED FOR IT TO BE FREE ON PS+... 8 HOUR GAME? LOL NOT PAYING FOR DAT, I GOT PERSONA

Lol jk. You're gonna love it. The game is possibly one of the greatest I've ever played.

It's nowhere near the level of quality I've seen from some of you guys, but I started making a new grinchy look.

That's amazing -- I couldn't be bothered to fix Iota's head. I just fixed the face enough so that if it was shown I didn't have a hate attack. :)

The hair is construction paper, I'd guess?

Had to make a little tribute to the first paper style game!

You gotta believe!!

Amazing.

Gabe3208

Banned
I've replayed it over and over and I'm so lost. I know that most of the confetti is clustered together or within a line, but I still can't seem to find the last one in The Barn stage. I re-checked the drums your bust through, and also the one where you use your finger to boost Iota up. Anyone get into a similar predicament in this stage?

Found it!!!!! It was hidden inside the cylinder here in the top right corner, I must've missed it on my initial run when I hit that spot

[img=http://abload.de/thumb/imagedtul4.jpg]

Edgeward

Having terrible luck withnsome of the trophies. Cant get the last enemy in the Caverns, last pieces of confetti in Maypole Fields, the take a photo in every chapter wont unlock either. Such a damn shame. May wait til a patch comes before continuing.

Having terrible luck withnsome of the trophies. Cant get the last enemy in the Caverns, last pieces of confetti in Maypole Fields, the take a photo in every chapter wont unlock either. Such a damn shame. May wait til a patch comes before continuing.

- Maypole fields isnt just the pig riding segment(thats what i thought), its the entire area before the cave that the crows guard and the barn.
- Have you taken a picture on the last lvl?
The you
- When you are freefalling in the cave 2 scraps follow behind you make sure to kill them when you land, otherwise replay the lvl and the trophy will unlock. Thats what worked for me, i had to rekill 1 of 2 scraps, that follow you when freefalling.

Hope i have helped you with this.

I've replayed it over and over and I'm so lost. I know that most of the confetti is clustered together or within a line, but I still can't seem to find the last one in The Barn stage. I re-checked the drums your bust through, and also the one where you use your finger to boost Iota up. Anyone get into a similar predicament in this stage?

Maybe find a youtube walkthrough?

Glix

Got this as a gift tonight but my Vita is dead and the charger is at work!!! Can't wait for tomorrow to try it!

AllenShrz

Is this game region locked or something? My vita is JP and I have a US account but I cant find it on the US PSN sotore, only the demo.

Roubjon

I completed that
Wendigo chase sequence and wow it was so fun. The game is so goddamn adorable too. The way Iota runs away and screams was fantastic. And the paper dung piles were also awesome.
This game is soooo good.

It says that I've still got 55% more of the game to go through. Is this percentage taking the missable/optional stuff into account, or is it soley chapter based? Thanks.

Game is incredible. Don't have much interest in soap boxing my displeasure that this game isn't blowing up (which it deserves to do) but hopefully enough people buy it to encourage more unique games

Zushin

I completed that
Wendigo chase sequence and wow it was so fun. The game is so goddamn adorable too. The way Iota runs away and screams was fantastic. And the paper dung piles were also awesome.
This game is soooo good.

It says that I've still got 55% more of the game to go through. Is this percentage taking the missable/optional stuff into account, or is it soley chapter based? Thanks.

Takes collectables into account unfortunately.

Cha

Okay, so I'm thoroughly enjoying this game at the moment. Taking my time and exploring every inch of the world. Taking lots of photos too. Currently at 39% and just finished making my way through the
Crash Site
(<early location spoiler).

Anyone else noticed that this game doesn't seem to draw much power? I haven't properly timed myself, but I feel like I can play this game for a lot longer than other vita games on a single charge. Think I'm gonna time myself today :)

Elvick

Banned
I had the same problem with The Caverns, but when you start the stage (the free fall). Wait.

Turn around and see if there are two behind you. Kill them, that's where my remaining 1 was. I still had to go a bit further and kill some more enemies before the actual trophy popped, but it's worth a try. Though if you're not aiming for the 100% scrap trophy yet, then that's irrelevant.

9rv8x9p.jpg

edit; I see someone else already said this... oh well. Look how cute iota is! :p dat lazy default

This game looks so amazing, Sony should port it to the PS4.
It wouldn't be the same on PS4.

I wouldn't mind the paper engine be used for something *new* on PS4 though. But I doubt that MM would do that for their current PS4 project.

Anyone have a problem with a bug near the end (
during The Tear
?) I'm
jumping off the cliff and getting killed before I hit the bottom for no reason.
Can't go back to a previous checkpoint so looks like I won;t be able to finish the game :(

EDIT: Reloading the chapter and not checkpoint seems to have worked.

Man, love this game but cant help but feel like there were something stuff missing from its initial reveal. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYDNN3VbRQ to be specific.

I understand why the blowing at the vita mechanic wasnt included, it doesnt work, but what bout the screaming one? That seemed possible (only if you were isolated or brave enough to do that in public) and quite fun to mess with. Nice to see the polka dotted elk easter egg though. Also, it seemed to me like the initial reveal made it seem like it was open world, what with the compass at the bottom.

Oh and to anyone who has made the papercrafts, what paper should i use to make them?

VanWinkle

Man, love this game but cant help but feel like there were something stuff missing from its initial reveal. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYDNN3VbRQ to be specific.

I understand why the blowing at the vita mechanic wasnt included, it doesnt work, but what bout the screaming one? That seemed possible (only if you were isolated or brave enough to do that in public) and quite fun to mess with. Nice to see the polka dotted elk easter egg though. Also, it seemed to me like the initial reveal made it seem like it was open world, what with the compass at the bottom.

Oh and to anyone who has made the papercrafts, what paper should i use to make them?

The final game actually seems close to the original vision, but they made it more of a platformer than it was at that conceptual stage. The screaming thing, I think it just didn't make sense to have to scream to use the squeezebox, and it makes more sense as a tool Iota himself utilizes, thus being assigned to a button. Also, I think its a little presumptuous to think it may have been open world just because one TINY snippet of gameplay showed something that looked like a compass, when a lot of it didn't have that. I'm sure the game was too early to have been one or the other.

And man, I'm so glad they added graffiti for a little bit of that collect-a-thon aspect. The debs said they didn't add that until a while into development.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Blowing mechanic works.
Screaming mechanic... well, I think anyone could see how quickly that would wear out its welcome. It's a good thing they only used it for the pumpkinhead.

I do wish we had some of those puzzles and environments though.

The final game actually seems close to the original vision, but they made it more of a platformer than it was at that conceptual stage. The screaming thing, I think it just didn't make sense to have to scream to use the squeezebox, and it makes more sense as a tool Iota himself utilizes, thus being assigned to a button. Also, I think its a little presumptuous to think it may have been open world just because one TINY snippet of gameplay showed something that looked like a compass, when a lot of it didn't have that. I'm sure the game was too early to have been one or the other.

And man, I'm so glad they added graffiti for a little bit of that collect-a-thon aspect. The debs said they didn't add that until a while into development.

I suppose it does make sense, I still wanna try that screaming mechanic though. Looked like another grand way to break the fourth wall between Iota/Atoi and the player. I may have been over thinking when i saw that snippet but having played Tearaway, it would've been an even more interesting experience if it was open world IMO. I'd imagined it'd be a papery LoZ-esque game.

Edit: Wait....they inserted the confetti later in its development? Im glad they were included, getting confetti in this game is pretty neat to see.

Blowing mechanic works.
Screaming mechanic... well, I think anyone could see how quickly that would wear out its welcome. It's a good thing they only used it for the pumpkinhead.

I do wish we had some of those puzzles and environments though.

Would've been fun. Kids would love that feature for sure. Thats also one of thes bit missing from the full game, understandable though. It may have been difficult moving Iota and holding down the interactive sections.

Elvick

Banned
I'd be interesting to hear MM talk about removed features/ideas. LBP had an Ice Hazard they showed off early on and it was removed too. (still sad about it)

I'm sure screaming at the system would have been tiresome,, but they still had it in there with recording voices. Which I thought was better, and done so minimally that it really was spiffy. And my scarecrow sounded awesome ;3...
my message of "Hello" to iota near the end was awful though

Puzzles, I'd think that they just decided to focus on platforming or felt that the pacing was too slow for them. From memory, everything in the game was relatively straight forward. Even the side-objectives.

I do wish those large scraps had been in the final game though. Would have added some more variety to battles. Especially if they required being killed a certain way, like throwing things at them or something.

And that orb thing you get in, and then tilt the Vita was awesome. Tilt wasn't used much at all in the final game, and I'm sure it was for the best but I think that could have added some non-annoying tilting functions to the final game.

But what we got was awesome, so... *shrug*

Skyzard

Banned
I haven't finished it but I'd love an expansion with more levels, anything to get more Tearaway. Adding in some of those missing elements would really make it worth it too.

zroid

Banned
just booted the game up for the first time...

man, even the initial loading screen is a bundle of charm. so good.

zroid

Banned
If there's one complaint I have so far it's that it just takes too long to learn how to jump. The game and its controls are clearly designed with jumping in mind, so not having that key ability for a little while makes it feel pretty bad to play. On the other hand, when you finally learn to jump, it feels really liberating.

I was surprised how there was some clever design even in the first area, in order to get to the 5th present. It even used the rear touchpad in a clever and fun way! Might be the first time I've ever said that, and the game just started!

Edgeward

- Maypole fields isnt just the pig riding segment(thats what i thought), its the entire area before the cave that the crows guard and the barn.
- Have you taken a picture on the last lvl?
The you
- When you are freefalling in the cave 2 scraps follow behind you make sure to kill them when you land, otherwise replay the lvl and the trophy will unlock. Thats what worked for me, i had to rekill 1 of 2 scraps, that follow you when freefalling.

Hope i have helped you with this.

I had the same problem with The Caverns, but when you start the stage (the free fall). Wait.

Turn around and see if there are two behind you. Kill them, that's where my remaining 1 was. I still had to go a bit further and kill some more enemies before the actual trophy popped, but it's worth a try. Though if you're not aiming for the 100% scrap trophy yet, then that's irrelevant.

edit; I see someone else already said this... oh well. Look how cute iota is! :p dat lazy default

It wouldn't be the same on PS4.

I wouldn't mind the paper engine be used for something *new* on PS4 though. But I doubt that MM would do that for their current PS4 project.

Cheers on the help. Got all scraps covered now.

Photo trophy still glitched. And i am missing a single confetti in the caverns. Sigh. And the level is so long too. Only two trophies left ;-;

Add me to the Tearaway Platinum Club. It also doubles as my first platinum trophy ever! :D Of the three "don't lose your stamp" trophies, I found Between the Pages to be the hardest of the three. How about anyone else?

plat.jpg

H2Yo

I was listening to the latest Rebel FM where Anthony was talking about how much he likes this game and is explaining the setup. He mentions that you're an envelope that is given life and that you have to deliver a message to the sun... When Arthur jumps in with this:

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Now, I have played the start of this game and there was no default character, you choose whether you're male or female. It seems to me that Arthur is reading too much into this and is insinuating a sexist agenda where there is none.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I was listening to the latest Rebel FM where Anthony was talking about how much he likes this game and is explaining the setup. He mentions that you're an envelope that is given life and that you have to deliver a message to the sun... When Arthur jumps in with this:

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Now, I have played the start of this game and there was no default character, you choose whether you're male or female. It seems to me that Arthur is reading too much into this and is insinuating a sexist agenda where there is none.

Gies is obviously an anagram for Moron Douchebag.

zroid

Banned

3Ds3F8Y.gif

gies is a tool; it is known.

This game looks fun, but I can't stand things like motion control tilting, blowing, and stylus stuff. Is there a lot of that stuff packed in here? If 99% of it is an adventure platformer then I'm all in!

zroid

Banned
This game looks fun, but I can't stand things like motion control tilting, blowing, and stylus stuff. Is there a lot of that stuff packed in here? If 99% of it is an adventure platformer then I'm all in!

if the first half hour is any indicator (it might not be), there will be a lot of rear touchpad and touchscreen use. not sure about the rest, although there's definitely a fair bit of gyro stuff, but i think much of it is optional (like for the camera).

however, i do think this game makes a very strong case for actually implementing unique input mechanics well, unlike 99% of the games which use them.

cyborg009

Banned

No blowing stuff. And strangely the game had less of this stuff then I actually imagined. But I did have to use these feature they were implement very well.

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Default meaning the character used primarily in promotional materials, like (male) Commander Shepard instead of "FemShep", perhaps?

I don't think there's anything sexist about it though. That's straight up douchebaggery. ;)

No blowing stuff. And strangely the game had less of this stuff then I actually imagined. But I did have to use these feature they were implement very well.

Most of it is rear touchpad and it's rather well done. Other than that, there's a few spots where they make you use the camera to take a photo for a texture or use the mic to record a sound. Again, everything is ridiculously well done.
I don't recall a lot of front touchscreen use, and there was definitely a lack of tilting and definitely no blowing.

if the first half hour is any indicator (it might not be), there will be a lot of rear touchpad and touchscreen use. not sure about the rest, although there's definitely a fair bit of gyro stuff, but i think much of it is optional (like for the camera).

however, i do think this game makes a very strong case for actually implementing unique input mechanics well, unlike 99% of the games which use them.

Default meaning the character used primarily in promotional materials, like (male) Commander Shepard instead of "FemShep", perhaps?

I don't think there's anything sexist about it though. That's straight up douchebaggery. ;)

Most of it is rear touchpad and it's rather well done. Other than that, there's a few spots where they make you use the camera to take a photo for a texture or use the mic to record a sound. Again, everything is ridiculously well done.
I don't recall a lot of front touchscreen use, and there was definitely a lack of tilting and definitely no blowing.

Thanks. Sounds like it will be a fun game. I love the art style!

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Iota is also Atoi backwards and the game doesn't even default to a highlighted selection before picking. There's not even a left-brain/right-brain bias in the initial presentation of choice, as neither is preemptively highlighted, and the game even lets you play as either character and choose to be addressed as whichever gender you prefer.

Is it possible for 2nd hand "thinkers" in games journalism to not piggyback off whatever the recent subject of enlightenment is... one that's introduced by more genuine personalities in the industry, who've put far more thought into it? Someone puts out a great, interesting video or thought piece, then all of a sudden everyone in the industry yearns for the peer acceptance, repute, relevance and validation garnered from appearing to be insightful and "in touch" with current issues. You just come off as a parrot who adds redundancy to the real dialogue and makes alignment with the ideas and causes seem like bandwagon hopping.

Gaz_RB

GOTY for me. I thought TLOU would edge it out but that ending... jesus.

3Ds3F8Y.gif

It's in quotes so I wonder if he was mocking people who say that about Tearaway.

H2Yo

GOTY for me. I thought TLOU would edge it out but that ending... jesus.

It's in quotes so I wonder if he was mocking people who say that about Tearaway.

It's in quotes because Arthur was saying it with his voice, this is just written down.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not sure but I think he's still being an ass but it's for the opposite reason I think... like he isn't seriously saying Tearaway is a sexist game, surely.
I think it's sarcasm about the story about Atoi being added in later on after a female dev pushed for it. Or perhaps it is making fun of people who were saying the same things. Right? I could be wrong.

IMO it's gotten to the point that we have a lot of games already with male leads, why not have a female character in this game it's a really cute game, the hair looks really great. I'm glad they did it. I'm glad to see Peach in Mario3D as well, even if I remember reading something earlier that suggested it wasn't going to happen. Have the option if possible.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game...

Hahaha, not only is that a great reaction to the end, but I'm impressed at the dexterity it must have required to pull off that shot!

Btw, aren't you at MM? How come you're only just finishing this off, if you don't mind my asking?

Iota is also Atoi backwards and the game doesn't even default to a highlighted selection before picking. There's not even a left-brain/right-brain bias in the initial presentation of choice, as neither is preemptively highlighted, and the game even lets you play as either character and choose to be addressed as whichever gender you prefer.

Is it possible for 2nd hand "thinkers" in games journalism to not piggyback off whatever the recent subject of enlightenment is... one that's introduced by more genuine personalities in the industry, who've put far more thought into it? Someone puts out a great, interesting video or thought piece, then all of a sudden everyone in the industry yearns for the peer acceptance, repute, relevance and validation garnered from appearing to be insightful and "in touch" with current issues. You just come off as a parrot who adds redundancy to the real dialogue and makes alignment with the ideas and causes seem like bandwagon hopping.

Exactly. Tearaway is one of the most neutral, non-gender-centric titles out there, and yet people still have to take pot shots. As long as there are "recent subjects of enlightenment" and the likes of Twitter where people have established a group of "fans" for themselves, I don't think it is possible. I hope this kind of thing backlashes and people end up getting scolded by the masses they're trying to impress.

VanWinkle

3Ds3F8Y.gif

Of all the games Gies could say, or even REMOTELY IMPLY is in any way sexist or anything like that. Oh man this jerk makes me mad sometimes.

Top Bottom