• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

unbias
(11-16-2013, 03:55 PM)
http://youtu.be/t4kWDKs2UOs?t=6m1s

Is he joking? Or is MS really mad at him about something? That is horeshit if true, I mean over what? He doesn't just praise everything, so they brush him off?

He starts talking about how he is too unpredictable so they don't talk to him, a little past the 6 min mark.

Edit: Looks like there is something to it.

Jim's comment on the talking point:

Originally Posted by Jim Sterling

Clarification:

Sony's reaction to the Escapist hiring me was to congratulate the site.

MS' PR department's reaction was to hope the Escapist puts a leash on me.

And again:

Originally Posted by Jim Sterling

...There's no actual conversation, and that is the thing I am talking about. MS' PR wing has been doing a lot of talking ABOUT me, and no talking TO me.

Usually, publishers are actually very accepting of my opinions and coverage, even if it's harsh, and even if they don't agree. Very rarely, a company pulls the kind of stunt where it strings someone along and talks vaguely to them without having the stones to actually tell that person what the problem is, and then they hear about it from friends and colleagues.

And then they make smarmy little tweets one morning for no reason other than to highlight the problem with not actually telling someone directly what the problem is.

Last edited by unbias; 11-16-2013 at 06:51 PM.
zroid
(11-16-2013, 03:57 PM)
you probably shouldn't take anything in that video seriously
unbias
(11-16-2013, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

you probably shouldn't take anything in that video seriously

Ya, I normally wouldnt, it just sounds like he was actually telling us what was happening, but in a sarcastic/joking manner. I was just curious if this is the 1st time he mentioned it, and wondering if there is any validity to it.
BakedSardine
Banned
(11-16-2013, 03:59 PM)
He tweeted this this morning:

https://twitter.com/jimsterling/stat...74655569686529

One thing with Microsoft's PR dept.refusing to speak to me is I don't know the embargo for these XBO reviews I'm in charge of publishing.

unbias
(11-16-2013, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by BakedSardine

He tweeted this this morning:

https://twitter.com/jimsterling/stat...74655569686529

Yup after looking at his twitter, it does look like something is up. So looks like his unpredictable nature is why they are brushing him off? Wow...
zroid
(11-16-2013, 04:02 PM)
Hmmm. I don't know, then. Maybe they're just really busy and Sterling is not near the top of their priority list. Or maybe they're still bitter over his acerbic criticism of XB1 and MS over the last few months.
jacksepticeye
(11-16-2013, 04:04 PM)
To quote South Park... "That's how Xbox people are"
Gentle Rodriguez
(11-16-2013, 04:04 PM)

Originally Posted by unbias

Yup after looking at his twitter, it does look like something is up. So looks like his unpredictable nature is why they are brushing him off? Wow...

Unpredictable reviews? We can't have that!

/gamingindustry
Untalkative_Bunny
(11-16-2013, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

Hmmm. I don't know, then. Maybe they're just really busy and Sterling is not near the top of their priority list. Or maybe they're still bitter over his acerbic criticism of XB1 and MS over the last few months.

Jim is very well known and worth their time. & any decisions like that are made with one aim and that is managing the message, they aren't 'bitter'.

So the natural conclusion is that Jim wont play ball and so he isn't worth their time. They would rather talk to journos like Gies, Sessler, Orland, etc. who are more receptive to helping them manage the message.
Honey Bunny
(11-16-2013, 04:07 PM)
I wondered how long it would take for that to happen to him with the scores he's been giving. Expected a third party to do it first though (maybe they have)
statham
(11-16-2013, 04:08 PM)
they figured out he was cboat.
SteveWinwood
Sowing his wild patented oats
(11-16-2013, 04:09 PM)
i wouldnt talk to Jim sterling
3rdamention
(11-16-2013, 04:10 PM)
In before major nelson asks to get in contact with him to clear this all up....
Ultrabum
(11-16-2013, 04:10 PM)

Originally Posted by statham

they figured out he was cboat.

whta uoy duobe djwpoq sdoujbq fipaa

TRUTHFACT
Jedi2016
(11-16-2013, 04:11 PM)
Well, yeah, that's the way the modern reviewing system works. Say good things about us and give us good reviews, and you'll continue to be able to work with us. Say bad things about us and give our games bad (i.e. actual) reviews, and we'll cut you off, and you'll never review again!! Mwahaha!!

That's what makes pretty much every "professional" reviews, particularly those that give a numerical assignment, absolutely pointless.
unbias
Put some of his tweets up to add more validity to the video. Apparently greylisted is a thing? Good to know.
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
is there a week that goes by without a games journalist throwing a tantrum on twitter?
Skeff
(11-16-2013, 04:12 PM)

Originally Posted by 3rdamention

In before major nelson asks to get in contact with him to clear this all up....

that whole banned ordeal was ridiculous, it's good they fixed it, but it's shit for the other 99.9% of people with wrongly banned consoles who are still banned...
kunonabi
damn, this contra game looks awesome. why is this the first time i'm seing it?
Nemesis_

Originally Posted by SteveWinwood

Pretty much.
DBT85
(11-16-2013, 04:13 PM)
Were I a publisher one of the few people I think I'd want to annoy by not talking to would be Jim Sterling, simply because he will quite happily stand up and call them out on it.
teiresias

Originally Posted by Gentle Rodriguez

Unpredictable reviews? We can't have that!

/gamingindustry

If the review isn't guaranteed to be directly proportional to the amount of money they transfer into a gaming news publisher's bank account, than MS considers them "unpredictable."
BlackFlip
He is probably the only one that would give a really disappointing game like Ryse for example something like a 3/10. I can see why they are scared.
zroid

Originally Posted by Untalkative_Bunny

Jim is very well known and worth their time. & any decisions like that are made with one aim and that is managing the message, they aren't 'bitter'.

So the natural conclusion is that Jim wont play ball and so he isn't worth their time. They would rather talk to journos like Gies, Sessler, Orland, etc. who are more receptive to helping them manage the message.

Yeah I know, lol, "bitter" isn't the ideal term here, but I think it gets the point across. They don't want to deal with him because he has been so critical of them recently.
SteveWinwood
Sowing his wild patented oats
(11-16-2013, 04:14 PM)
also that embargo line is bullshit

he has paperwork somewhere on his desk outlining all of that
Xanadu
Banned

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

He is probably the only one that would give a really disappointing game like Ryse for example something like a 3/10. I can see why they are scared.

he is the hero we deserve
zainetor
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeff

that whole banned ordeal was ridiculous, it's good they fixed it, but it's shit for the other 99.9% of people with wrongly banned consoles who are still banned...

Every person who isnt a ms guy or a journ. Has his console banned atm.
unbias

Why's that?

also that embargo line is bullshit

he has paperwork somewhere on his desk outlining all of that

Well ya, but he already said that isnt why he was trying to get a response from them... I mean isnt it pretty normal for PR to just tell him if he tried to contact them? Isn't it PR's job to keep relations up with the media?
Marvel
could never
(11-16-2013, 04:15 PM)
Microsoft a little twitchy right now I guess...
sohois
(11-16-2013, 04:15 PM)
Unpredictable code for "Your not reviewing everything within the 7-10 boundaries!"?
Dennis
Banned
(11-16-2013, 04:16 PM)
I hope Jim comes in here to shed some light on the situation.

If one of the platform holders are essentially blacklisting journalists we need to know about it.
mjc
He's complaining that he has to stick to embargo deadlines? Am I reading that wrong?
zainetor
Banned

Originally Posted by Xanadu

he is the hero we deserve

Mw3: 9,5.
Yes he id our hero.
FrostuTheNinja
The plot thickens..
epmode
(11-16-2013, 04:17 PM)
I'm glad I saw that first Jimquisition a while back because I wouldn't have known that Jim Sterling is pretty keen otherwise.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear about MS being an idiot again. It's been their MO for years.
Skeff
(11-16-2013, 04:18 PM)

Originally Posted by zainetor

Every person who isnt a ms guy or a journ. Has his console banned atm.

I was talking about the 360 bannings for breaking street dates on games.
GashPrex
NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
This whole embargo thing is very strange - its like none of these journalists have legal departments or something that explain this stuff to them. Jim doesn't come across as very professional here...just passive aggressive.
v0yce

Originally Posted by mjc

He's complaining that he has to stick to embargo deadlines? Am I reading that wrong?

Yes.

You're reading that wrong.
mhayze

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

I don't see how not talking to him would help that situation. He's going to review it anyways.
unbias
(11-16-2013, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by mjc

Ya, going by the tweets and what not it seems he is trying to get PR to talk to him. Since he knows how to get the embargo list, that isn't the actual reason why he is doing what he is doing.
Last edited by unbias; 11-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
erawsd
(11-16-2013, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly

is there a week that goes by without a games journalist throwing a tantrum on twitter?

Eh, at least he's got a good reason to vent and he isn't being all cryptic and shitting on his fans for being curious.
Fallout-with-swords
(11-16-2013, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by mjc

I believe he is trying to contact MS PR to ask when the embargo lifts, but they're not responding. He said he could find out the date (probably by asking fellow Journalists), but is trying to make a point or highlight the fact he is being ignored.
chancellor
(11-16-2013, 04:21 PM)
MS wants all their games to get a 9.5, just like MW3. Seriously though, if MS aren't going to talk to someone who gives lower scores and criticizes them more often then that is BS, such opinions give more scope for improvement than a 9 or 10.
Nibel
(11-16-2013, 04:22 PM)
They don't talk to him?

What
Impeccable
(11-16-2013, 04:22 PM)
Time to bust open the dam.
HovaHovito
Banned
(11-16-2013, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by mjc

Dat reading comprehension
BlackBuzzard
Greylisted thats a new one.
Empty
companies go to great efforts to increase metacritic points, as highly reviewed games get more attention. cutting out a reviewer who has the ability to drop games scores by actually using the full scale and not bowing to manufactured prestige is probably much cheaper than throwing fancy events and buttering them up with pr or buying them a vanity documentary
mjc
(11-16-2013, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by HovaHovito

Dat reading comprehension

Hangover. No bueno.
megaStryke
(11-16-2013, 04:28 PM)

Originally Posted by zainetor

Mw3: 9,5.
Yes he id our hero.

Call of Duty: Ghosts: 5/10

It's not two years ago anymore.