• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft aims for 40% market share in Germany

chadskin

A few tidbits from an interview with Oliver Kaltner, Xbox chief in Germany, in the paper "Euro am Sonntag" (via heise):

"From the getgo, we want to earn money with every console we sell in Germany."

"We want to improve our market share to 40 percent until the end of the year."

Their market share in Germany is currently at approx. 30 percent, heise says. Microsoft aims to take away some percentage from Nintendo in order to reach their goal.

Germany LtD hardware sales (in million) from November 2013:
Wii: 4.6M (42%)
PS3: 3.9M (36%)
Xbox 360: 2.4M (22%)

Thanks, shinra-bansho.

shem935

Banned
When is the Xbox one releasing in germany and at what price?

Edit: Ah I didn't realize it was part of the original 13 countries.

Anyone have console marketshare numbers in Germany for this gen of consoles handy?

Would think it being mainland Europe would sway to PS but I do know a german or two who are Xbox diehards

Skyzard

Banned
A few tidbits from an interview with Oliver Kaltner, Xbox chief in Germany,
Their market share in Germany is currently at approx. 30 percent. Microsoft aims to take away some percentage from Nintendo in order to reach their goal.

Focusing on Kinect/ads for it or just expecting casuals to not upgrade to Wii U...

Bodde

Banned
Germany is pretty much PC and Playstation oriented. Dont think that will happen anytime soon especially when they have a more expensive machine, Kinect and weaker specs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They want to increase market share, yet also make money from launch. Challenging target, especially with a stronger Sony. Maybe the relative weakness of Nintendo compared to Wii will help

Scandinavia and Benelux is probably gonna order Xbox Ones from France and Germany untill its out in their countries so i would expect an almost 1-1 ratio for those months..

Thefriend

Banned
Unfortunately yes, as I remember every Dead Rising game was banned in Germany so far! Makes it near impossible to resell the game at Gamestop or Rebuy or something like that.

Woah, that's a huge deal. That's probably the only launch title I would be interested in. I imagine Germany is sort of used to not having that game, but it's a huge part of the launch lineup.

AOC83

Banned
Is Microsoft actually making any moves to make the the Xbox One more desirable than the 360 in Germany?

No. The 360 launched 15 months earlier, 200€ cheaper and still got trashed by the PS3 in the end. I probably don´t need to say what that means for the Xbox One.

Colbert

Banned
Woah, that's a huge deal. That's probably the only launch title I would be interested in. I imagine Germany is sort of used to not having that game, but it's a huge part of the launch lineup.

Not really, you can still purchase the game in a german version that is released in Austria from internet shops like amazon or others.

reminder

The Xbox 360 had a 1 year and 4 months headstart, and still got outsold by the PS3 in germany. This time the headstart will be 7 days and the bad news about the Xbone is still in many peoples mind. Good luck with that, MS.

8bit

Knows the Score
I don't think I there could be a country less receptive to the bundled Kinect, regardless of their backpedalling on it.

abracadaver

Is Microsoft actually making any moves to make the the Xbox One more desirable than the 360 in Germany?

Not at all.

Their marketshare will be dropping a lot this gen.
They have the weaker console at a higher price. Everyone besides the hardcore xbox fans is getting a PS4.

Germany loved the PS3 even in its terrible first years. No chance for xbox here this gen.

AOC83

Banned

Price and brand power mostly. Playstation is synonymous for gaming/consoles in Germany.
People are also pretty sensitive regarding data protection and consumer rights so stuff like Kinect and always online (although it was removed) are not taken too kindly.

The banned site with the weird numbers no one knows where they came from says as of 07/2013:
PS3 30,6%, 360 30,4%, Wii 39,0%.

Just because you don't specify that you're talking about vgchartzzzzzzz doesn't mean you can cite his bullshit numbers as if they mean anything more than something you'd get from a random number generator.

Anyway, par for the course this year, Microsoft are out of touch with reality. There's no chance of this happening.

The Xbox 360 had a 1 year and 4 months headstart, and still got outsold by the PS3 in germany. This time the headstart will be 7 days and the bad news about the Xbone is still in many peoples mind. Good luck with that, MS.

Plus that official PS4 bundle with an extra DS4, KZ, and a PS Eye is the same price as the Xbox One. 499 each.

Colbert

Banned

They had lots of advertisement recently on TV. That's all I have seen so far. Spaces for MS at retailers are usually a little smaller than the Playstation counterpart. But retailers often rearrange their space depending on the success a console have in germany. There were times the Nintendo space was double the space of Playstaion and Xbox combined but that have changed now.

Their goal is to eat Nintendo's market share, not Sony's. I'd say that's a more realistic target.

Isn't a large chunk of the Wii's marketshare probably not going to buy any console?

Edit:

And if they did decide to get a new console, why the 499 one?

Edit 2:

Derp. Even if less total consoles are sold they can still increase their % of that total. Though it doesn't mean much if they sell less total Xbox Ones than 360s.

madmackem

Good luck with that ms, your advantage in the uk might just be about to get attacked as well with the shocking pricetage of £429 which is more than the ps3 launched for. They face a massive task throughout europe.

Usobuko

Banned
Depending on the void left behind by Nintendo, it's might be possible for Xbox share to increase their marketshare despite selling less than its predecessor.

AOC83

Banned
Isn't a large chunk of the Wii's marketshare probably not going to buy any console?

Edit:

Let´s say it this way: If the Wii people are going to buy another console (and most of them won´t) it won´t be the Xbox One.

Nokterian

Dead rising 3 got banned in germany?

Germany bans a lot of games because of there system there. Nothing new really or they change it. Thank god not here in the netherlands but hey we are a second tier country but 499 euro's is pretty expensive.

Colbert

Banned

Edit:

Don't underestimate Kids love Kinect actually, don't underestimate this. My friends kids are yelling for the Xbox One because of this. Not to forget germans (as far as I know from my circle of friends) are fans of "all in one" offerings they can integrate in their home cinema setup. price point isn't that factor in my circle of friends.

Top Bottom