• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

astonish

Great, thanks for clearing that up. What about light boost? I notice it being listed as an nvidia option so I'm assuming I'll need an nvidia card to enable it in the monitors menu? I have an amd card, but from what I've read I can force light boost using that blurbusters program, right?

It's been a while, but yes you can force on the ULMB via other programs. You can set it so it's just the "default" mode of the monitor as well.

hoy

Banned
im still absolutely confused on what to do right now. i think i want a 27" monitor. and ips is better than tn right?

i am seeing pulled products and bad reviews with screen quality when i try and do research on panels that should technically be good. i can't see myself playing that game with returning multiple monitors in hope i get a good one that stays that way.

i don't care about the money but what is the answer for the right monitor to get or should i wait?

and i don't know if i should get gsync or freesync. my gut tells me i should go the amd route and would of course build the video card around that.

never thought i would have trouble buying a monitor.

Wozzer

Similarly torn. I've currently got 2x Dell U2311H IPS monitors, which I've adored and haven't really seen issues with when gaming but I'm intrigued by the wonders promised by modern monitors and gaming bliss.

I'm hesitant to replace one of my two monitors but am tempted by the idea of having three. Though my lack of desk space would mean the two existing monitors would have to be vertical either side of the central new one. I've a Nvidia 970 so support should be there, and enough power for the games on their monitor itself.

I've been looking at the Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27". A requirement being both G-Sync and 144hz, though I'd have liked higher than 1080p, especially at 27". Also hesitant to shell out more than £400 for a monitor. It's a shame it's not easy to preview monitors so I can get a feel of the improvements and various monitors quality vs pricing.

Any other suggestions, or reviews of the Predator? My biggest fears being the large investment to see little improvements, or even worse experiencing lesser panel quality on my primary screen.

im still absolutely confused on what to do right now. i think i want a 27" monitor. and ips is better than tn right?

i am seeing pulled products and bad reviews with screen quality when i try and do research on panels that should technically be good. i can't see myself playing that game with returning multiple monitors in hope i get a good one that stays that way.

i don't care about the money but what is the answer for the right monitor to get or should i wait?

and i don't know if i should get gsync or freesync. my gut tells me i should go the amd route and would of course build the video card around that.

never thought i would have trouble buying a monitor.

Got an Acer XB270HU with no screen issues to speak of. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Rizific

so im finally home after the holidays and got a chance to mess around with my vg248qe. its immediately apparent that my 7950 isnt cut out for this. i smell a gtx970 in the near future. i installed strobelight, and it works (as far as i can tell). i can toggle it on and off and such. but when its on, it absolutely kills the colors on the screen. yeah its a tn panel and the reviews have said the colors arent the best, but with lightboost enabled it just looks like shit. is that normal? i wont pass judgement until i get a gpu that will be able to maintain that 100+ fps.

astonish

so im finally home after the holidays and got a chance to mess around with my vg248qe. its immediately apparent that my 7950 isnt cut out for this. i smell a gtx970 in the near future. i installed strobelight, and it works (as far as i can tell). i can toggle it on and off and such. but when its on, it absolutely kills the colors on the screen. yeah its a tn panel and the reviews have said the colors arent the best, but with lightboost enabled it just looks like shit. is that normal? i wont pass judgement until i get a gpu that will be able to maintain that 100+ fps.

Remember that turning on lightboost changes lumance and contrast (very important for PQ). It's likely you have to calibrate differently for the two conditions.

Velinos

I am considering finally replacing my old NEC 20WMGX2 since it has started having issues with IR. What would be a good replacement in the $500-600 range?

I really liked the colors and picture quality on the glossy IPS panel of the NEC. I mostly play RPGs and indie games. Not looking to go much larger than the 1680x1050 resolution that I currently am using (I doubt my Nvidia 670 could handle 4K). Is the Eizo Foris FG2421 what I should be looking at?

I'm not sure where else to ask this. I have the Asus VG248QE and a GTX 970. I sometimes leave my computer on overnight, and a few days ago I woke up and my desktop looked funky. It was like chunks of pixels were scrambled up. I unplugged my DisplayPort cord from the monitor and back in and I had no signal. I tried flipping the cord around, etc., and I couldn't get a signal again. I'm currently using HDMI at 60hz. Is it just a problem with the cord probably? Should I use DVI instead? If so, do I need to make sure I get a specific style of DVI cord? I jumped from VGA to HDMI, then DisplayPort so I never messed with DVI. I know DVI-D is a thing but I don't know what it does or if it's a certain style of cord or something.

00Zombie00

Neo Member
I'm not sure where else to ask this. I have the Asus VG248QE and a GTX 970. I sometimes leave my computer on overnight, and a few days ago I woke up and my desktop looked funky. It was like chunks of pixels were scrambled up. I unplugged my DisplayPort cord from the monitor and back in and I had no signal. I tried flipping the cord around, etc., and I couldn't get a signal again. I'm currently using HDMI at 60hz. Is it just a problem with the cord probably? Should I use DVI instead? If so, do I need to make sure I get a specific style of DVI cord? I jumped from VGA to HDMI, then DisplayPort so I never messed with DVI. I know DVI-D is a thing but I don't know what it does or if it's a certain style of cord or something.

Are you using a 120/144 Hz Monitor? If yes you should really switch. Normally the Monitor doesnt mess up any pixels, its more likely the graphic card broke down.

EDIT: Btw: Did you try to use your MOBO grafics yet? If you use an grafic card, just try using the MOBO internal grafics. If that solves the problem, its your grafic card for sure.
You could also try to use your old VGA cable to try if thats still working.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 22'' to a 27'', at the very least, and was looking into Gsync as well but I'm kinda against the wall here. Seems like the prime choice would be an Acer Predator but no physical store in my country carries it, so I'm in doubt if I should chance it and order it through amazon since I read that some people had some faulty units with the IPS.
Failing that, what's a good alternative?

I'm looking to upgrade from a 22'' to a 27'', at the very least, and was looking into Gsync as well but I'm kinda against the wall here. Seems like the prime choice would be an Acer Predator but no physical store in my country carries it, so I'm in doubt if I should chance it and order it through amazon since I read that some people had some faulty units with the IPS.
Failing that, what's a good alternative?

What GPU do you have? What country are you in?

kennah

There's a Acer XB270HU 27in WQHD IPS Gaming LCD w/ G-SYNC on sale at a local store for $500 Canadian (regular price $1000). Seems to be a refurb/warranty return item.

That's kind of a no brainer buy isn't it. I can't really really afford it, but it wouldn't put me out too hard either.

Only problem really is I have a 670 4gig so would have to bring the res down quite a bit.

Is there anyone playing The Division on a 144hz monitor (1080p) and a GTA 970?
I can't decide between locked 144fps with no vsync, or vsync on @60hz.

What is the best result when you get 50-80 fps in a game using a 144hz monitor?

Type2

Im in the market for a new monitor along with a planned GTX 1070 upgrade to my at home rig. I've started working from home on my game more and more recently and I need something with color accuracy but Ive also not experience gsync as well as other advances in tech.

Whats a reasonable budget for what Im looking for 400-500? Id like to use a resolution higher than 1080p to take advantage of the new card.

sinxtanx

I had heard that Adaptive Sync was the god-level gaming upgrade so I got an AOC G2460PF

I feel like this is it

this is the real life, the life I was meant to live

the 144Hz FreeSync life

it made just moving the mouse around fun

Rizific

what kind of gpu am i looking for to get 100+fps at 1440p? right now ive got a 24" 144hz, 29" ultrawide 1080p 75hz freesync, and a 27" 1080p 144hz all in my office area with a 27"1440p 144hz gsync scheduled to get here on monday. i started with the 24" as my first 144hz and LOVED it but decided i need a larger screen because i also work on my pc which lead me to the 29" ultrawide. the 29" is a nice monitor and i love the immersion but 75hz just doesnt cut it. which lead me to the 27" 1080p 144hz im on right now. i chose 1080p because i know itll be easier to hit 100+fps at 1080p with my r9 390. once the 1440p gets here, ill need to make a decision on which to keep. if i keep the 1440p, ill need an nvidia card and ive been eyeing the 1070...which would require an additional $500 =(

I need help GAF, for the love of all that is 60+ FPS and Holy. I just bought a new monitor, Acer 144hz GN246HL, and I'm suffering from some crappy ghosting (or motion blur whatever you call it) problems. This is my first 144hz monitor so I know very little about this stuff but the ghosting is pretty noticeable even just scrolling around and pretty terrible in certain games like MGSV. It's actually a physical eye sore after long use.

Is there anyway to fix this? And, if not what is the best 144hz monitor I can buy instead that is relatively cheap and doesn't have this same ghosting issue?

riflen

I need help GAF, for the love of all that is 60+ FPS and Holy. I just bought a new monitor, Acer 144hz GN246HL, and I'm suffering from some crappy ghosting (or motion blur whatever you call it) problems. This is my first 144hz monitor so I know very little about this stuff but the ghosting is pretty noticeable even just scrolling around and pretty terrible in certain games like MGSV. It's actually a physical eye sore after long use.

Is there anyway to fix this? And, if not what is the best 144hz monitor I can buy instead that is relatively cheap and doesn't have this same ghosting issue?

I'm afraid it seems like a known issue with that display; aggressive overshoot ghosting and no adjustable overdrive. A very cheap move by acer.

I don't have any direct experience with anything other than my own display. If I were shopping for a display today and wanted to be sure about motion resolution, I would go through all the relevant reviews at tftcentral.co.uk. They are very thorough.

The Asus 144hz TN panel monitors are great. I own 2 of them and there is no ghosting and the color is surprisingly good.

ASUS VG248QE

I'm afraid it seems like a known issue with that display; aggressive overshoot ghosting and no adjustable overdrive. A very cheap move by acer.

I don't have any direct experience with anything other than my own display. If I were shopping for a display today and wanted to be sure about motion resolution, I would go through all the relevant reviews at tftcentral.co.uk. They are very thorough.

Argh, this is what I thought after some searching. Alright, I'm gonna try and get my refund and get a better monitor.

masterkajo

After wanting to only upgrade my graphics card a little, it went awry and I somehow am looking at a 1070 and thinking of going from a 1080p to a 1440p monitor.

Basically, I want 1440p and I am guessing to future proof a bit (even though the 1070 won't utilise it fully on 1440p) 144Hz as well as g-sync. I looked a bit and found the following mintor

1439522.jpg
Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz, 27" (UM.HX1EE.A01)
Diagonale: 27"/​68.6cm • Auflösung: 2560x1440, 16:9 • Helligkeit: 350cd/​m² • Kontrast: 1.000:1 (statisch), 100.000.000:1 (dynamisch) • Reaktionszeit: 1ms • Blickwinkel: 170°/​160° • Panel: TN • Bildwiederholfrequenz: 165Hz • Anschlüsse: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 • Weitere Anschlüsse: 4x USB 3.0 • Ergonomie: höhenverstellbar (150mm), Pivot, Swivel • VESA: 100x100 (belegt) • Leistungsaufnahme: keine Angabe (typisch), keine Angabe (Standby) • Besonderheiten: LED-Backlight, Lautsprecher (2x 2W), NVIDIA G-Sync (30-165Hz), flicker-free, Slim Bezel, ULMB • Herstellergarantie: zwei Jahre (Pickup&Return)
EAN-Codes: 4713392553301

for €539. Is this a good deal? Anything I should be aware of? I know it is a TN panel, but the IPS panel costs €200 more. Any otther, better, cheaper recommendations?

I am coming from a budget 1080p LG monitor and know next to knowhting about mintors apart from what I learned in my frantic buying spree in the last two days.

XaosWolf

I have a Curved Acer Predator Z271 144Hz 27" Monitor with G-Sync arriving today.
I opted for a 1080p with smoother framerate over the 1440p resolution bump (I can wait for that)

I only have a MSI 1070 so I should be able to have the graphical bells and whistles by keeping the resolution at 1080p.I can always experiment with downscaling too.

Will post back here later with impressions. Though it is being sent via Yodel so fingers crossed it gets to me in one piece. Or at all.

laxu

I have a Curved Acer Predator Z271 144Hz 27" Monitor with G-Sync arriving today.
I opted for a 1080p with smoother framerate over the 1440p resolution bump (I can wait for that)

I only have a MSI 1070 so I should be able to have the graphical bells and whistles by keeping the resolution at 1080p.I can always experiment with downscaling too.

Will post back here later with impressions. Though it is being sent via Yodel so fingers crossed it gets to me in one piece. Or at all.

You could've been running 1440p easily with that. I'm using a 980 Ti and it runs nearly everything like a champ at 1440p. The resolution bump from 1080p to 1440p makes a big difference me, far more noticeable than 1440p to 4K.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in, I Need a New PC figured maybe here is the best bet.

Basically had $2,000 CAD to spend and want to focus it on a monitor.

Looking at the XR342CK for $1,100 but open to other suggestions basically want to go big and Freesync (I think G-sync and new NVIDIA card out of my pricepoint). Question is what else should I upgrade to maximize gaming with that.

Currently have a:
i7-2600k
16GB RAM
and a R9 390.

Doesn't seem like there is a big AMD graphics card upgrade. Am I looking at maybe new motherboard and CPU.

Thanks!

kennah

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in, I Need a New PC figured maybe here is the best bet.

Basically had $2,000 CAD to spend and want to focus it on a monitor.

Looking at the XR342CK for $1,100 but open to other suggestions basically want to go big and Freesync (I think G-sync and new NVIDIA card out of my pricepoint). Question is what else should I upgrade to maximize gaming with that.

Currently have a:
i7-2600k
16GB RAM
and a R9 390.

Doesn't seem like there is a big AMD graphics card upgrade. Am I looking at maybe new motherboard and CPU.

Thanks!

Do you currently have an SSD? Use the balance for that.

But with $2,000 you could easily do GSync and a 1070.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Thanks for the reply! I do have an SSD.

Looks like the 1070 is around 550 CAD and a X34 for example is 1700.

A but out of budget but possibly manageable.

I should say I don't necessarily need a curved screen but want to go big.

Currently on a 970, thinking of picking up a Dell S2417DG and a 1070 at the same time or later.

Hope that's the right move, they're both a lot of money..

aradikus

Currently on a 970, thinking of picking up a Dell S2417DG and a 1070 at the same time or later.

Hope that's the right move, they're both a lot of money..

I'm in a similar position as you, I think. I'm scraping some money together but can't decide if the smarter upgrade is the GPU (1070) or an actual good monitor (G-Sync/144hz). I'm gaming with a 970 and I'm happy with the card's performance, but I'm using a very basic 1080p 60hz monitor. I'd definitely love the increase in performance from the 1070, I could use Downsampling to 1080 along with AA for increased IQ, I'm sure that'd make me happy. But perhaps playing at 1440p @ 120/144hz and G-Sync to eliminate frame-pacing problems from variable FPS, decreased input latency and generally increase the smoothness of the images would make me happier... It's hard for me because I haven't ever seen G-Sync or 144hz, all I know is I love the shit out of a locked 60hz with V-Sync on, nothing feels better than that during gameplay...

What would you do if you were me?

Strix 970 1468mhz
i5 6600k @ 4.8ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz

I have an old cheap desktop connected to an old 24" tv. I'll replace the desktop later, but first the screen as we have a second xbox hooked up to it.

I'm looking for a decent monitor that will work fine for both my xbox one and pc i'll be buying later this year.

I see this ASUS VG248QE 24" was recommended in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess my question is how does this recommended monitor compare to another one I've had my eye on.

AOC G2460PF 24"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or other monitors around that price range? If its something small like a bezel difference or less screen options thats fine if it costs around $65 cheaper as I'm not looking for a super nice monitor or anything for 4k gaming.

dVeLoPe

hey guys please help me money is not an issue

i am currently going to be running 1x 1080Ti

I currently have a BenQ XL2410T that I purchased in 2011 (been used to 120hz for over 5 yrs)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014241

^^ a link to the monitor i currently own with my GTX1080 some games "own'' it @ 1080p

my issue is i cannot choose a new monitor...

they have ultrawides, 240hz, etc etc

what would be a SUPER BIG upgrade to what i currently have???

Jamaro85

Just posting in here to say how much I love the Samsung CFG70 24". I have a RX 480 and only want to game at 1080P, and this monitor is perfect. 144 Hz curved VA panel with a good response time (1ms MPRT) and FreeSync. I had no idea what I was missing all these years with 144 Hz.

I currently have a BenQ XL2410T that I purchased in 2011 (been used to 120hz for over 5 yrs)

^^ a link to the monitor i currently own with my GTX1080 some games rape it @ 1080p

I would review some of those words you chose if I were you.

TheExodu5

Banned

^^ a link to the monitor i currently own with my GTX1080 some games "own'' it @ 1080p

One of 2 options currently:
27" G-Sync IPS 16:9 monitor like the Asus PG279Q or Acer XB271HU.
34" G-Sync IPS 21:9 monitor like the Asus Swift PG348Q or Acer X34.

Or wait it out for something with HDR/OLED...though it could be a while or cost you a lost of money.

pulled the trigger on the PG248Q will let ya know how it compares!

Oh sorry, didn't see you ordered already. I mean, you'll get an upgrade in terms of IPS and G-Sync, but if you can still reconsider, you might want to look into the 27" 1440p options. Then, you'd be looking into a resolution upgrade as well, and your 1080Ti is more than enough to push 1440p at high framerates.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm thinking about upgrading my monitor, at least in a minor sense. I have a BenQ XL2420Z and the size and clarity is good but the color is kinda garbage. It's so hard to make yellows not look green without turning the blues a bit red and the reds a bit magenta. I have about the most delicate balance possible right now but then I look at my Wii U gamepad and all the colors are wonderful and it makes me sad, especially switching back and forth with Super Mario Maker. Do they make monitors with good colors and 120hz now? I don't need anything bigger than 24".

riflen

So I'm thinking about upgrading my monitor, at least in a minor sense. I have a BenQ XL2420Z and the size and clarity is good but the color is kinda garbage. It's so hard to make yellows not look green without turning the blues a bit red and the reds a bit magenta. I have about the most delicate balance possible right now but then I look at my Wii U gamepad and all the colors are wonderful and it makes me sad, especially switching back and forth with Super Mario Maker. Do they make monitors with good colors and 120hz now? I don't need anything bigger than 24".

The panel in the XL2420Z is 6-bit precision with dithering to simulate 8-bit, which is the main reason for poor colour reproduction.
When shopping for a new display, make certain it uses a true 8-bit panel. Good review sites like pcmonitors.info and tftcentral.co.uk are the best. The good news is 6-bit panels are mostly gone, except in budget displays.

Arkanius

For some reason, after playing a large variety of games with Gsync at 144hz for such a long time on my XB270HU, whenever I turn ULMB on for CS:GO I find the non smoothness off-puting, more than motion blur.

Am I cray cray?

nomis

For some reason, after playing a large variety of games with Gsync at 144hz for such a long time on my XB270HU, whenever I turn ULMB on for CS:GO I find the non smoothness off-puting, more than motion blur.

Am I cray cray?

I find ULMB to be pointless in CSGO where you are basically aiming at slow moving targets that are corner peeking. I don't think the drop from the smoothness of 165hz is worth minor blur reduction in a largely blur free game to begin with.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So, ULMB and Gsync are mutually exclusive then?

Yes, because Gsync/Freesync allow variable frame timings, the time between the flashes of the LEDs (ULMB/Lightboost) wouldn't follow a consistent cadence and the screen brightness would vary too much.

BlurBusters actually posted a design for varying strobe intensity/duration to allow consistent perceived brightness with variable frame time, but I'll be surprised if anyone ever does anything with it.

Does anyone have a monitor where they're happy with the ULMB brightness? I haven't been using it on my old ROG Swift because it's so dim. It was great on my Asus VG278H with the LightBoost hack.

dVeLoPe

hey guys so I pulled the trigger and ordered a

ASUS ROG PG248Q and its just been delivered.

how is the best way to plug them both in clone mode so I can compare??

I also found the PG258Q which is native 240hz not sure if I should get that instead??

I have 10 more days of testing or exhange period before I wont be able to return it anymore.

TSM

Does anyone have a monitor where they're happy with the ULMB brightness? I haven't been using it on my old ROG Swift because it's so dim. It was great on my Asus VG278H with the LightBoost hack.

The PG258Q is ridiculously bright. You can run 144hz lightboost and still have it be brighter than most monitors at 100% brightness with lightboost off. The monitor is basically the new standard for lightboost, but you have to live with a TN panel to get that.

I have the brightness set at it's lowest setting, and it's still over 105 cd/m2 after calibration. It arrived set at 90 brightness and it was simply blinding. I believe a review said that at 100% brightness it's over 450 cd/m2.

hey guys so I pulled the trigger and ordered a

ASUS ROG PG248Q and its just been delivered.

how is the best way to plug them both in clone mode so I can compare??

I also found the PG258Q which is native 240hz not sure if I should get that instead??

I have 10 more days of testing or exhange period before I wont be able to return it anymore.

I bought the PG258Q and it's pretty awesome if you can live with a TN panel. There is an enormous reduction in LCD related motion blur when you are refreshing at 240hz. It's still not anywhere near 120/144 lightboost, but it certainly moves LCD quite a bit in that direction.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The PG258Q is ridiculously bright. You can run 144hz lightboost and still have it be brighter than most monitors at 100% brightness with lightboost off. The monitor is basically the new standard for lightboost, but you have to live with a TN panel to get that.

I have the brightness set at it's lowest setting, and it's still over 105 cd/m2 after calibration. It arrived set at 90 brightness and it was simply blinding. I believe a review said that at 100% brightness it's over 450 cd/m2.

All right, good to know, thanks.

Edit: wow, you weren't kidding about that brightness. I found some numbers for it and it's a huge difference. I was going to see if they had a demo PG279Q in the store to try that one out, but now I'm not going to bother. Looks like the PG258Q will be the way to go. I don't mind TN since I already had the original Swift, and I've got my 4K IPS for games where I'm prioritizing quality anyway. (no problem going from 1440p back to 1080p either)

PG279Q - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm#ulmb
At 120 FPS ULMB with 100% pulse width, it's 101 cd/m2 for the PG279Q.
(scaling down pretty much 1:1 with pulse width = luminance)

PG258Q - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg258q.htm#ulmb
At 144 FPS ULMB with 100% pulse width, it's 275
Pulse width -> Luminance
100 -> 275
75 -> 210
50 -> 139
25 -> 72
10 -> 29

They also have a great comparison chart of the available options.
mf1q2nI.png

For the PG278Q (the original ROG Swift I'm using)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm#ulmb
120 FPS ULMB, 100% pulse width
100% -> 122 cd/m2

So the PQ279Q would actually be even more dim than the one I'm currently using and was unhappy with.

Come to think of it, the hardware's probably really similar to what I had been used to with the Lightboost hack on the VG278H before, except of course now it's actually supported as ULMB instead of needing to run that lightboost hack utility. Thanks for the heads up!

dVeLoPe

so my first panel lottery was a no go panel wont do anything above 144 qand has flickering

gonnna retry 1 or 2 more times but if it doesnt work out for me whats a next in line for me?!!?

dVeLoPe

guys the first PG248Q wouldnt even overclock to 160 hz what gives????

also looked really weird super bright ughh i dont know.. anyway..

fought best buy about it and apparantly cannot return and was able to get an exchange

have a brand new PG248Q sitting here that I am scared to open and ''hope'' it does 180hz

i have a BENQ XL2410T which has spoiled me with 120hz since 2011 and I used clone mode with the previous swift when I tested it and they look identical (swift being brighter)

what should i do? they are selling on ebay for around 300+ as refurbished but my unit has 3yr new warranty attached to it..

should I sell it and get something else? use it? so confused now..

Top Bottom