• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$499 Steam Machine from iBuyPower Revealed [Up: AMD CPU, Radeon 270 GPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

What a thing of beauty

steammachines837ibuypower.jpg

It isn't a white PS4: it's a commercial Steam Machines box, or at least a prototype of one. iBuyPower tells us that it's building the box for a 2014 launch, but says it's still early.

iBuyPower tells us that it actually has two models, codenamed Gordon and Freeman, in the works. The two consoles are identical, save for the light bar round the middle -- one model's is clear, while the other's is black when not illuminated. And, while the company wouldn't tell us about the boxes' internals, it did confirm that the hardware will run all Steam titles in 1080p resolution at 60fps.

More pictures through Engadget

WhitePS4me if old.

Update:
$499
multicore AMD CPU
discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive
Valve's Linux-based Steam OS

Thanks angular graphics for the list, via The Verge.

Sinfamy

Reminds me of a dessert I used to eat, white chocolate covered wafers with strawberry cream filling.

markot

Banned
That sure is ugly.

Valve shouldnt let them design the casing. Just look at most 'pc' players. Their casing and peripherals are things of pure awfulness.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
And, while the company wouldn't tell us about the boxes' internals, it did confirm that the hardware will run all Steam titles in 1080p resolution at 60fps.

...right.

Just tell us what the hardware is.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Don't see how they can guarantee this for something that's launching next year

Well they are kinda cheating because you can always alter video settings to make a game run better.

Also 1080p isn't a terribly difficult resolution for modern computer hardware.

What settings are required for the 1080p60 they claim? Console settings? Last-gen settings? Pretty meaningless claim to make.

Herne

That sure is ugly.

Valve shouldnt let them design the casing. Just look at most 'pc' players. Their casing and peripherals are things of pure awfulness.

Anyone who can build a pc will be able to build a Steam Machine, never mind companies like IBuyPower. If you don't like the look of one, get another. Why should Valve have any say in what anyone else builds?

And why did you put quotes around pc?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems kinda... large. Need to know the size dimensions.

Damaniel

Banned
And, while the company wouldn't tell us about the boxes' internals, it did confirm that the hardware will run all Steam titles in 1080p resolution at 60fps.

In other words, this is going to be a gaming PC that's nowhere near price competitive with consoles. To get 1080/60 on everything, you're probably going to need GTX 670/680 class hardware, at a minimum. At that point, you're at PS4 pricing before you even add a CPU, memory, motherboard, OS, or the custom enclosure. That doesn't even include a controller.

Steam Machines are going to be dead in the water unless vendors make more cost effective models. The people willing to spend $1000+ on gaming hardware probably build their own, and people buying consoles already aren't going to pay a 100% premium over current-gen console prices just to get a Steam machine.

(Hopefully, other vendors will tone down the hardware somewhat, and concentrate on bringing the systems closer to price parity with consoles -- or at least the same ballpark.)

smr00

Banned
In other words, this is going to be a gaming PC that's nowhere near price competitive with consoles. To get 1080/60 on everything, you're probably going to need GTX 670/680 class hardware, at a minimum. At that point, you're at PS4 pricing before you even add a CPU, memory, motherboard, OS, or the custom enclosure. That doesn't even include a controller.

Steam Machines are going to be dead in the water unless vendors make more cost effective models. The people willing to spend $1000+ on gaming hardware probably build their own, and people buying consoles already aren't going to pay a 100% premium over current-gen console prices just to get a Steam machine.

(Hopefully, other vendors will tone down the hardware somewhat, and concentrate on bringing the systems closer to price parity with consoles -- or at least the same ballpark.)
I can run everything at 1080p/60fps on my 660. Can i run it all maxed out? no, but neither can this. You only need to be able to run stuff on medium to compete with PS4/XBONE and a mid range card can do that.

Damaniel

Banned
I can run everything at 1080p/60fps on my 660. Can i run it all maxed out? no, but neither can this. You only need to be able to run stuff on medium to compete with PS4/XBONE and a mid range card can do that.

That's true - if they advertise 1080p/60 for everything, but only at low to low-medium settings, then that would still count, and they could get away with more modest hardware. Said games would also look like higher-resolution 360/PS3 games at that point, once you account for the lower texture quality and lack of post processing effects.

Getting the balance right is going to be tricky. You don't want to release an obsolete box, but you need to keep it price competitive. An extra complication is the Windows license - until Valve gets more AAA PC titles running on Steam OS, Steam Machines are going to have to come with Windows installed, or they're going to be severely crippled. I'm not sure I trust iBuyPower to be the people to figure this out, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
All Steam titles 1080@60?

With what settings huh, im sure most games will hit 60 if the settings are lowered to the absolute lowest.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
AC4 isn't Steam though, it's uPlay.

You can buy it through Steam.
Sure you have to go through UPlay to open it, but if it really does support all Steam games then it's Windows and that's no problem.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That sure is ugly.

That's pretty damn tasteful, by PC gaming hardware standards. I mean, my rig has more lights than a Christmas tree.

I just wonder if the box is gonna have a demon or a half naked elf on it.

jeffers

They already confirmed that Steam Machines will have:

Video Cards: GTX780, GTX770 and some will have GTX660.
Processor: i7-4770, i5-4570 and some will have i3s.
All models will come with 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM.
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid Drives.
Power: 450W 80Plus Gold power supply.

http://www.gizmag.com/steam-machine-prototype/29309/

thats Valves - and beta only at that. several people will be making these with different customisations.

markot

Banned
By "PC" players I mean the Razers and the kazers and the mazers who make 'Gamer!' peripherals that always look like the jankiest shit ever. From Cases to keyboards. Utter shit balls catering to PC gamers from the 80's that never existed. Or had such bad taste.

They have the Steam logo on it so I assume Valve would have some rights inclusive.

You dont put a ferrari logo on a fiat.

The last thing, in the entire universe, that anyone ever wants, is more lights and shit in their living room. Every freaking piece of electronics needs to have a light these days thats bright enough to lite up the room.

Get over it!

jediyoshi

lol oh boy this mockup

xxDRek0.jpg

not sure the person had a great sense for the size of the controller at that point :p

They already confirmed that Steam Machines will have:

Video Cards: GTX780, GTX770 and some will have GTX660.
Processor: i7-4770, i5-4570 and some will have i3s.
All models will come with 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM.
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid Drives.
Power: 450W 80Plus Gold power supply.

http://www.gizmag.com/steam-machine-prototype/29309/

The specs aren't a standardized thing, that's part of the whole point

I like the design of this case. Looks pretty sleek.

By them saying it will support all Steam titles then it must run Windows then right? Unless they're banking on Linux support (in terms of games) being much farther along by the time this comes out.

By "PC" players I mean the Razers and the kazers and the mazers who make 'Gamer!' peripherals that always look like the jankiest shit ever. From Cases to keyboards. Utter shit balls catering to PC gamers from the 80's that never existed. Or had such bad taste.

They have the Steam logo on it so I assume Valve would have some rights inclusive.

You dont put a ferrari logo on a fiat.

The last thing, in the entire universe, that anyone ever wants, is more lights and shit in their living room. Every freaking piece of electronics needs to have a light these days thats bright enough to lite up the room.

Get over it!
If its like my tower, I could just open it up and unplug the LEDs, maybe it will even come with a switch.

params7

Banned
That sure is ugly.

Its ugly. But its the future of console industry. Open standards, open OS, unified platform for software makers, but many manufacturers of the hardware. Just like video and pc gaming business. Private console businesses will always be limited in their scope of games and features compared to a model like Steam Machine.

Depending on how accurately Steam Controller is able to level with the mouse, I think Sony and MS would most likely be releasing PS5 and Xbox 3 as their own Steam Machines.

I'll put down $10 on that here with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom