• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Pjsprojects

Don't know if this is common knowledge but cross region save games don't work on PS4.

I purchased UK disk based MGS and completed the main story so sold the game.
When the US store had it on offer I bought it again to do the side missions. However my save game did not work so would need to start from scratch on the US version.

Note - Russian games may not have any other languages. I have Russian Unity on pc and had to download some files and mess with the game a hell of a lot to get everything in English.

Storm360

Don't know if this is common knowledge but cross region save games don't work on PS4.

I purchased UK disk based MGS and completed the main story so sold the game.
When the US store had it on offer I bought it again to do the side missions. However my save game did not work so would need to start from scratch on the US version.

Yup! DLC also doesn't work cross region, its a side effect of Sony's regional based disc ID system

Phiiiiil

Neo Member
Buying from the Russian store is a bit of a pain to begin with but with a bit of help from Google translate is possible.

You can buy digital microsoft points from the Russian Microsoft store. (I bought 1x500, 1x1000 and 1x2000 to pay for dying light ultimate).

Originally trying to purchase, the store seemed to keep rejecting my transactions

So I went to Microsoft commerce, selected Russian personal account, made sure details were good and added my credit card info. (I used the british embassy as my address)

Then I went back to the store (best way to search for points is just type 500 or 1000 or 2000 in the search bar.)

The transaction then went straight through. I got an email from Microsoft saying I had to wait 4-6 hours for the code (assumed at this point it hadn't worked) but a couple of hours later they were there.

Redeemed at the xbox one store online, changed the region to Russia and bought dying light ultimate edition. (I assume you could use smarglass here, just change your phones region to Russia and restart the app).

A bit of hassle to begin with but will be pretty straightforward in the future.

Hope that helps you guys

Phiiiiil

Neo Member
So you dont purchase the game on the xbox itself but online with Russian VPN?

No vpn needed with the method I used. The Microsoft russian store just let me purchase. No extra facilities needed. Once you have the credit in your account, you could purchase from the console. No vpn needed for that either

Oh and to get to the Russian microsoft store go to the Microsoft store and change region in he bottom left, Russia is poccnr in case you can't find it.

Tak3n

Banned
No vpn needed with the method I used. The Microsoft russian store just let me purchase. No extra facilities needed. Once you have the credit in your account, you could purchase from the console. No vpn needed for that either

Oh and to get to the Russian microsoft store go to the Microsoft store and change region in he bottom left, Russia is poccnr in case you can't find it.

how much is evole on there? and dying light please

Phiiiiil

Neo Member
how much is evole on there? and dying light please

Dying light ultimate was 3500 rubles, use google to convert to your local currency for me that's about £33. So a big saving. To find the prices go to the xbox one store online and switch regions to Russia. Then just click on the game you want for the price.

Evolve isn't on there yet, don't know why.

offshore

Just remembered that I wanted to say a big thanks to Delusibeta and others in this thread. I've never really bothered about wanting to buy from PSN in general, let alone other countries' stores, but I looked into it when I saw RE4 on sale over Xmas in the US store for $10, as opposed to £17 on UK PSN.

So in the end I got it for about £6.60. If Capcpom had have put in the effort, I may have paid more, but as it is, for under 7 quid I'm delighted. Cheers.

Lettuce

Hmm cant seem to purchase points from the Russian Store, when i select the points i want and then click on the confirm button hola seems to switch to USA and then i get an access denied screen

Hmm cant seem to purchase points from the Russian Store, when i select the points i want and then click on the confirm button hola seems to switch to USA and then i get an access denied screen

Did you change the region on Hola? Paste the website address and then Hola will have the image on Chrome clickable with the region and you change it there.

Buying from the Russian store is a bit of a pain to begin with but with a bit of help from Google translate is possible.

You can buy digital microsoft points from the Russian Microsoft store. (I bought 1x500, 1x1000 and 1x2000 to pay for dying light ultimate).

Originally trying to purchase, the store seemed to keep rejecting my transactions

So I went to Microsoft commerce, selected Russian personal account, made sure details were good and added my credit card info. (I used the british embassy as my address)

Then I went back to the store (best way to search for points is just type 500 or 1000 or 2000 in the search bar.)

The transaction then went straight through. I got an email from Microsoft saying I had to wait 4-6 hours for the code (assumed at this point it hadn't worked) but a couple of hours later they were there.

Redeemed at the xbox one store online, changed the region to Russia and bought dying light ultimate edition. (I assume you could use smarglass here, just change your phones region to Russia and restart the app).

A bit of hassle to begin with but will be pretty straightforward in the future.

Hope that helps you guys

This was happening to me and I am very pleased you posted this as I wanted to see if it would work (and it did!)

Thanks very much :)

Lettuce

Did you change the region on Hola? Paste the website address and then Hola will have the image on Chrome clickable with the region and you change it there.

Yeah when i get to the checkout page with the screen box with russin writing in and the credit card logos as soon as i click on the green box it forces Hola from Russian region to USA region

I just bought Dying Light in xbox one.... made up :D
However, got bitten in the ass by the tax !!! I thought the total amount $59.99 includes tax, and it didnt !!

Does the tax depends on the billing address ??

Lettuce

Finally got it to work and have a code for Russian credit, but i dont see a Russian loctaion on the XBOX marketplace??

EDIT: Ok found the Russian store now. Do i need to redeem my code when i have Russia selected as my region online or can i redeem it on the UK store?. If i need to redeem the code on the Russian store online where do i find the redeem code link?

Finally got it to work and have a code for Russian credit, but i dont see a Russian loctaion on the XBOX marketplace??

EDIT: Ok found the Russian store now. Do i need to redeem my code when i have Russia selected as my region online or can i redeem it on the UK store?. If i need to redeem the code on the Russian store online where do i find the redeem code link?

Redeem it on the russian store. Its the bottom option on the left when you enter the store. Easiest to paste the code into smart glass and redeem it that way

Gamezone

Gold Member
However, got bitten in the ass by the tax !!! I thought the total amount $59.99 includes tax, and it didnt !!

I have always paid $59 as total amount. That's it.

How do you redeem a code on the smart glass app, can you even change your region on that app?

Use smartglass to paste the code into once you have opened the redeem code bit on the store on the console.

Im not sure you have to but thats what I did as a friend said it might be awkward to type the code in

Lettuce

Use smartglass to paste the code into once you have opened the redeem code bit on the store on the console.

Im not sure you have to but thats what I did as a friend said it might be awkward to type the code in

Ah, no you can change to English text on the console via the triggers when the on screen keyboard is up

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ok, so i just bought some US codes and have changed the region to US on my console. I redeemed the codes fine and have just tried to purchase far cry 4 except its displays "buy this tomorrow" you have reached the limit of how much you can spend in the xbox store today.

What? i haven't even spent anything.

I haven`t bought anything digital from my US account in a while, but this one is new to me.

pieface

Hmmm my credit card is getting rejected on the Russian store :(

Payment wont go through. Get the following error.

Unable to authorize payment method. Make sure that the correct data provided , or use another method of payment. If you continue to receive this message , contact your financial institution.
error code

Really gay!

EDIT: My debit card works. Weird!

Phiiiiil

Neo Member

It does. I use Borderlinx(or some other free address website) and put my address in Portland Oregon and pay no tax. Just change the info on your billing address

Phiiiiil

Neo Member
Thanks for the update.

One more question, will this method work in PS4 and PSN ?
Absolutely. Best way to use PSN is to buy gift cards from Amazon us. PSN is slightly different though as you have to create an American PSN account. But as long as you set your PS4 as your home console, you can still play all of the games with your current PSN account

AzzaGabba

Neo Member
Afaik you can't buy HK gift cards directly from MS but a number of sites do sell them but you'll pay a small premium on these sites

blazeuk

Annoyingly I have a $10 gift card but the commerce website shows my US account as locked (I assume from when they allowed paypal a while back) and it doesn't allow me to redeem anything. Is there any way to fix that? Xbox support seems to suggest the only work around is creating a second account and using that as a US one and then sharing the games/gold between them.

tuna_love

Banned
Annoyingly I have a $10 gift card but the commerce website shows my US account as locked (I assume from when they allowed paypal a while back) and it doesn't allow me to redeem anything. Is there any way to fix that? Xbox support seems to suggest the only work around is creating a second account and using that as a US one and then sharing the games/gold between them.
If you keep pestering them they will unlock it. Happened to my US account

blazeuk

If you keep pestering them they will unlock it. Happened to my US account

Cheers, they eventually unlocked it but I ended up going through MS accounts support rather than Xbox support (who were just telling me nothing could be done because it's normal). A bit too late in the end since I missed the sale but at least it's sorted now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Where do you see your balance? I have money in both my Uk and US accounts, wih my xbox set to UK, and iPad webstore set to US. But it would be nice to see my balance before I buy stuff.

iNelz

Neo Member
Where do you see your balance? I have money in both my Uk and US accounts, wih my xbox set to UK, and iPad webstore set to US. But it would be nice to see my balance before I buy stuff.

You can check each countries account balance via http://commerce.microsoft.com/ - there's a little dropdown to the right of the page where you can choose the different accounts, should come up with available balance under 'Payment Options'.

Top Bottom