• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

bakedpony

I doubt it's anything about gameplay at all because the wording is very specific about it being about liberation after overcoming something you have to do. They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

The dungeons would probably cater to each party member's personal trial. Then when they finally get "free from their chains", their persona would awaken.

Asd202

Sounds interesting. High school setting was a given that's how Japan rolls. My guess is a lot of the story will be about escaping from expectation the society puts on you.

lTM2NU2.png

Now the high school setting has been confirmed, I'm intrigued to know what sort of stuff they're going to do thematically to really push boundaries and whatnot, because I guess the setting does limit it somewhat.

So for someone looking to get into these games, what's a good primer? I played the original SMT on SNES but that's about it.
Persona 4 is the best way to get into the series right now IMO, but P2 IS, EP and P3 are all worth playing - if you're gonna play P3, go with the PSP version.

And I'd advise to stay away from P1. That game hasn't aged well and if you're not a hardcore fan you're most likely going to hate it big time.

Mupod

So for someone looking to get into these games, what's a good primer? I played the original SMT on SNES but that's about it.

I advise starting with Persona 3 FES on PS2. It'll be hard to go back to it if you play P4 first, and I personally prefer 3 even with 4's gameplay improvements.

For mainline SMT you could jump in anywhere really. I started with Nocturne and it was an amazing introduction to the series, even if Matador punched me in the dick a few times.

Jarmel

Banned
I doubt it's anything about gameplay at all because the wording is very specific about it being about liberation after overcoming something you have to do. They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

I could see the cast being comprised mostly of 3rd years who are freaking out about entrance exams. It would be a good way of not only looking at the college feeder system in Japan but also the social pressure as well. That's a really critical time period for the Japanese and so it would be really fascinating to watch/play a critique of it.

Mix that in with suicide and having no direction in life, and you got yourself a stew going.

Hopefully when they say it's tonally different, that means different from P3 and not just P4.

Just load it with a fantastic supporting cast again and I'll be happy.

Dantis

Hopefully when they say it's tonally different, that means different from P3 and not just P4.

Just load it with a fantastic supporting cast again and I'll be happy.

I think it will be more like Catherine in tone. The trailer was so Catherine-esque that it was crazy.

daveo42

Banned
Man, I really wanted something associated with constant social connectivity and an always on culture. I'm fine with the subject matter though, especially with the overbearing stress that Japanese society puts on students.

duckroll

I could see the cast being comprised mostly of 3rd years who are freaking out about entrance exams. It would be a good way of not only looking at the college feeder system in Japan but also the social pressure as well. That's a really critical time period for the Japanese and so it would be really fascinating to watch/play a critique of it.

Mix that in with suicide and having no direction in life, and you got yourself a stew going.

Tokyo U is the final boss.

raven777

by the way this week's Dengeki cover is really nice.....wish it had the main character from 5 on it but I guess they are not ready to reveal.

From Persona 3/4 presumably, since they're talking about it being a continuation of the current set of titles. After Catherine, it wouldn't be surprising to see Hashino tackle something heavier in scope, theme-wise.

I certainly hope so. Can't wait to hear more about it; whatever they do, I'll be there. There's something about the Persona series that I find captivating. I feel like I get a good idea of what teens go through in Japan, but that may be naive to say. Weird, right?

Omikaru

Evokers would have been much better suited for this title if they are going darker, perhaps.

I think the Evokers were thematically relevant to Persona 3, so I don't think they should be included in a darker game just for the sake of it being more edgy or whatever. It was very fitting in P3.

Asd202

by the way this week's Dengeki cover is really nice.....wish it had the main character from 5 on it but I guess they are not ready to reveal.

I don't think ready is the right word. They most likely don't want to reveal much of the game yet to not to overshadow the 3 other games they've just announced.

Dr. Buni

The dungeons would probably cater to each party member's personal trial. Then when they finally get "free from their chains", their persona would awaken.
I approve of that. I loved how the dungeon in Persona 4 reflected traits of each party member's personalities/issues/etc. It will be even greater if the bosses are also related to the party member's personal trials, similar to the shadow selves from P4.

jdkluv

Persona 4 is the best way to get into the series right now IMO, but P2 IS, EP and P3 are all worth playing - if you're gonna play P3, go with the PSP version.

And I'd advise to stay away from P1. That game hasn't aged well and if you're not a hardcore fan you're most likely going to hate it big time.

Everyone please ignore this gentleman.

Omikaru

Elizabeth or Margaret to replace Igor. Calling it now.

For the love of all things beautiful, don't bring Marie back.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
All I care about is dungeon design, social links, and whether there is a female playable MC

The school setting is great, don't mind the high school setting.

Top Bottom