• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

KZObsessed
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:07 AM)
KZObsessed's Avatar
I was gonna make a thread about this months a go but completely forgot.

Guerrilla Games have hired the former Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer of Obsidian Entertainment John Gonzales (actually back in September)

His profile states he was "the lead story guy on Fallout: New Vegas"

Narrative designer with extensive in-house game development experience. My focus is storytelling for open-world role-playing games. Because they are awesome.

Specialties
Narrative design, dialogue systems, creative writing, world design, documentation, voice direction.

Lead Writer at Guerrilla Games
Lead Designer, Narrative at WB Games
Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer at Obsidian Entertainment
Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
Writer at Outrage Entertainment

More evidence mounts for a GG open world RPG. Personally I hope it's sci-fi or cyberpunk. I'm sick of generic fantasy.
Last edited by KZObsessed; 11-27-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Thnx mods
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(11-27-2013, 11:09 AM)
Always-honest's Avatar
Hmn.... Damn, i'd love to see what they are working on..
No fantasy i hope, but judging on the taste of some of the artdirectors there i don't think it will be a fantasy setting.
It will involve tech, distopian worldviews i think. And lighting. Lots of cool lighting.
hemtae
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:10 AM)
hemtae's Avatar
Well an Obsidian hire was a good first step towards getting me interested in whatever game they're working on.
shwimpy
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:11 AM)
shwimpy's Avatar
obsidian lead writer? awwww yeaaaaaah.
Pound_lb003
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:12 AM)
Pound_lb003's Avatar

Originally Posted by hemtae

Well an Obsidian hire was a good first step towards getting me interested in whatever game they're working on.

Fuck yes...

Brilliant find dude!
Wingman
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:13 AM)
Wingman's Avatar
Good find.

I mostly enjoyed Killzone: Shadow Fall but I'm ready for GG to move on to something else, and an open world RPG sounds great.
velociraptor
Junior Member
(11-27-2013, 11:13 AM)
velociraptor's Avatar
Finally... a GG game which may potentially feature a decent story.
Hyunashi
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:14 AM)
Hyunashi's Avatar
New writer for this? Great.
Marvel
could never
(11-27-2013, 11:15 AM)
Marvel's Avatar
Obsidian lead writer? color me interested then.
DieH@rd
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:15 AM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
Hopefully this new game will not be placed in a science fiction world. That team needs a break from industrial / sf / warzone artstyle.
kevm3
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:16 AM)
Sounds like a great idea to me. Sony pretty much had all genres covered with their first party except rpgs.
Infinite_Daremo
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:16 AM)
Infinite_Daremo's Avatar
I genuinely liked the world created in Killzone. I just hate modern FPS games.

GG have the tech and people to make something amazing here.
TucoBenedictoPacifico
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:17 AM)
TucoBenedictoPacifico's Avatar
Hiring a former Obsidian employee doesn't necessarily mean he's going to work at a RPG even this time.
michaelius
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:25 AM)
Killzone RPG with scenario written by ex Obsidian guy would be awesome :)
SomedayTheFire
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:25 AM)
SomedayTheFire's Avatar

Originally Posted by Infinite_Daremo

I genuinely liked the world created in Killzone. I just hate modern FPS games.

GG have the tech and people to make something amazing here.

The world and lore of Killzone was excellent, the story telling however, was trash.
DieH@rd
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:25 AM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
"As a studio we do want to branch out," lead designer Eric Boltjes told Eurogamer, "and we have started work on a new IP, something completely different to Killzone. I don't want to say anything about it right now, but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh."

It wont be a shooter, that's for sure...
RaikuHebi
Banned
(11-27-2013, 11:27 AM)

Originally Posted by velociraptor

Finally... a GG game which may potentially feature a decent story.

A GG G that'll be a GG?
Fezan
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:30 AM)
Fezan's Avatar
SOny you spent so much money on GG. get obsdion onbaord too and merge them with GG. You will have GG graphics with obsdion story . best of both world
Callibretto
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:32 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

"As a studio we do want to branch out," lead designer Eric Boltjes told Eurogamer, "and we have started work on a new IP, something completely different to Killzone. I don't want to say anything about it right now, but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh."

It wont be a shooter, that's for sure...

Not necessarily, shooter itself has way too many subgenres that it can be very different and still be a shooter.
KZObsessed
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:32 AM)
KZObsessed's Avatar

Originally Posted by TucoBenedictoPacifico

Hiring a former Obsidian employee doesn't necessarily mean he's going to work at a RPG even this time.

True, and normally I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion but there's been a self perpetuating GAF rumour of them making an RPG. Just thought I'd add some fuel to the (possibly BS) fire. :p

Thinking about it though, if they are making an RPG I think it's more likely they'd make something more akin to Mass Effect than a true open world game. A kind of linear TPS/RPG hybrid. Personally I'd be sad to see them leave the first person perspective because they're animators are so good at it and their gunplay is top tier but from comments they've made it seems they want to branch out and do something new. Can't blame them.

My dream game though would be a Fallout game with KZ2 style visuals and gunplay. I'd even fund it myself. Call me Guerrilla Games.
Callibretto
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:34 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by KZObsessed

True, and normally I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion but there's been a self perpetuating GAF rumour of them making an RPG. Just thought I'd add some fuel to the (possibly BS) fire. :p

Thinking about it though, if they are making an RPG I think it's more likely they'd make something more akin to Mass Effect than a true open world game. A kind of linear TPS/RPG hybrid. Personally I'd be sad to see them leave the first person perspective because they're animators are so good at it and their gunplay is top tier but from comments they've made it seems they want to branch out and do something new. Can't blame them.

My dream game though would be a Fallout game with KZ2 style visuals and gunplay. I'd even fund it myself. Call me Guerrilla Games.

If you have that much money, you should call sony, probably shu yoshida
Sentry
Still Alive
(11-27-2013, 11:35 AM)
Sentry's Avatar
Really can't wait to see what they're up to. Part of me hopes it's still in the Killzone universe, though. The story and lore of that universe is just so deep and untapped (unfortunately).

Perhaps back on Earth?
Dinda
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:38 AM)
Dinda's Avatar
I would really like a modern day Open World RPG.

There are really too few of that. Something like "The Secret World" in Singleplayer.
TheOddOne
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:39 AM)
TheOddOne's Avatar
Sounds like he worked on WB's open world game Shadow of Mordor?

Two straight back-to-back RPG credits. That is intresting.
Acheteedo
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:40 AM)
Acheteedo's Avatar
Good, Guerrilla needs to spread their wings a bit.
Paertan
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:40 AM)
Paertan's Avatar
Sounds interesting =) Really looking forward more info on this project.
dragonelite
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:41 AM)
dragonelite's Avatar
Weren't there rumors going about an steampunk rpg?
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(11-27-2013, 11:43 AM)
subversus's Avatar
JOHN GONZALES IS ON BOARD?!!!

HYPE
Xater
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:44 AM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dinda

I would really like a modern day Open World RPG.

There are really too few of that. Something like "The Secret World" in Singleplayer.

Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.
PrintedCrayon
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:44 AM)
PrintedCrayon's Avatar
As much as I love the Killzone games (Mercenary is my current addiction, at least until my PS4 and Shadow Fall turn up) it is the right time for Guerilla to move away from the property.

A whole new genre is certainly something I would like to see them try to attempt, if it leads to some fresh ideas (and hopefully a decent story this time?!) then I'll be over the moon. They have certainly shown they have potential when it comes to the FPS market, I hope that translates into something greater when approaching something different.
Triggerhappytel
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:45 AM)
Triggerhappytel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fezan

SOny you spent so much money on GG. get obsdion onbaord too and merge them with GG. You will have GG graphics with obsdion story . best of both world

This is actually a great idea. I think Obsidian are a seriously underrated developer who've always got the short straw from publishers. Guerrilla are technical wizards who can't write for shit. Merge the two and they'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
SparkTR
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:45 AM)
SparkTR's Avatar

Originally Posted by dragonelite

Weren't there rumors going about an steampunk rpg?

Steampunk was a pitch which apparently evolved into something more sci-fi, but it got scrapped for what I'm assuming they're working on now. According to this.
Averon
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:45 AM)
I hope GG is making a Western RPG.

Hell, I hope GG does anything other than another Killzone game. Let them spread their wings in other genres/gametypes.
CosmicGroinPull
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:46 AM)

Originally Posted by shwimpy

obsidian lead writer? awwww yeaaaaaah.


Finally. FINALLY.

My first response when I read this topic was 'Okay, but how about you at least write a decent FPS story before you attempt a RPG?'
AHA-Lambda
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:47 AM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar
Make it a sci fi rpg and I'll be all over it :)
Dark_castle
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:47 AM)
Dark_castle's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Hopefully this new game will not be placed in a science fiction world. That team needs a break from industrial / sf / warzone artstyle.

Truth.

Also take a break from post-apocalypse setting.
V_Ben
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:49 AM)
V_Ben's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

Sounds like he worked on WB's open world game Shadow of Mordor?

Two straight back-to-back RPG credits. That is intresting.

Aye, very interesting. Shadow of Mordor looks like it's leaning more towards hard fantasy, so... it wouldn't surprise me if Guerilla advertised to studios they were working on something similar. Or, if they went after him deliberately.
CosmicGroinPull
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:50 AM)

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Hopefully this new game will not be placed in a science fiction world. That team needs a break from industrial / sf / warzone artstyle.

You know, with a rpg, they might finally be able to tap into all the art and backstory they've probably amassed for the Killzone universe.
captscience
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:53 AM)
captscience's Avatar
Great hire. Guerilla taking on a RPG with the Killzone writers seemed like a disaster in the making. Hopefully this comes at a stage in development where he can make a proper difference.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(11-27-2013, 11:53 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
Should probably also note that he wasn't hired directly from Obsidian. He left after New Vegas wrapped up, and joined Warner Brothers to work on some LotR game. Not sure if it ever came out, of it its the new one they just announced, but he left WB some time ago and joined Guerilla.
ArjanN
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:58 AM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.

Vampire Bloodlines <3

It's probably because in a modern setting you notice the stuff that doesn't make sense a lot more.
Alienous
Member
(11-27-2013, 11:59 AM)
Alienous's Avatar
Judging by how Shadow Fall seems to be fufilling a quota, and that I remember Hulst talking about it during PS4 previews, I think we should all be excited.
Sleeplessnights
Banned
(11-27-2013, 12:00 PM)
Sleeplessnights's Avatar
I was about to make a joke about how they should hire a writer first.

Now I am looking forward to hearing more of it!
Truant
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:01 PM)
Truant's Avatar
Guerilla graphics and world design coupled with interesting gameplay and an open world is a recipe for success.

They've been wasting their talent on those terrible Killzone shooters for way too long.
Xater
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:02 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

Vampire Bloodlines <3

It's probably because in a modern setting you notice the stuff that doesn't make sense a lot more.

Maybe, but there ways to introduce supernatural or sc-fi elements into such games. I also think you could totally do one without such elements.
WooHooAlex
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:04 PM)
WooHooAlex's Avatar
Let's hope so, because I'm ready for them to move on from Killzone.
Mokubba
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:05 PM)
Mokubba's Avatar

Originally Posted by kevm3

Sounds like a great idea to me. Sony pretty much had all genres covered with their first party except rpgs.

WRPG from GG and a JRPG from Studio Japan hopefully this gen.
Callibretto
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:10 PM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mokubba

WRPG from GG and a JRPG from Studio Japan hopefully this gen.

Still need fighting game and srpg, more simulation game woukd be great too
Kodiak
Banned
(11-27-2013, 12:13 PM)
ewwww no Guerilla Games doing an open world RPG is like that shitty guy who suddenly decides he wants to learn guitar because he thinks it will help him get laid.
skybald
Member
(11-27-2013, 12:16 PM)
skybald's Avatar
After Killzone Shadow Fall I have a hard time thinking this team will be able to put together an interesting story.

Thread Tools