• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game.

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38
Kotaku

Raxious

shiiiit.gif

That's long.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have all my sandwich recipes from the PS3 era if any XB1 users want them. I won't be needing them anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty bad. Sure, it only needs to happen once (unless you're reinstalling when you go back to a game after some time), but damn if that doesn't kill yet another advantage to console games over PC games.

Are they doing the same thing? I mean, ps4 only installs a small portion of the game and then caches what it's using, right? Does the X1 do the exact same thing?

inky

The update & notifications seem to be a hassle as well. During the GB launch stream they downloaded some game in the background and I think it wouldn't automatically apply the new update to it. They noticed it required it until they were going to play it. It was significant too, several GBs large and about 50% the size of the game they just had downloaded.

Requiem

Seem's incredibly stupid to require an update to download before you can install a game; that's what seems to be increasing the install times

I noticed this yesterday (even tiny apps take ages to install) and wonder if this has to do with some sort of decryption due to the DRM reversal, because 360 wasn't like this and PS4 never had the same policies in place...

spwolf

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

so even offline is a lot slower than PS4.

Xater

Are they doing the same thing? I mean, ps4 only installs a small portion of the game and then caches what it's using, right? Does the X1 do the exact same thing?

Don't know all the technical details but you can start the Xbone game before the install is finished, but even that seems to take way longer on the Xbone.

entremet

Sony's Playgo tech is really nice I must admit.

Interesting seeing the PS4 having some OS advantages when MS is usually stronger in that arena.

maomao

Banned
yes it's a bit long, but no sandwiches needed as you can play digital games (if you're installing using a disc), view tv/apps/Blu-ray while it's installing

Zomba13

What are the PS4 games "installing"? Those times are very low.

With the PS4 I think it's still installing stuff after the time listed it's just with the PS4 it installs the essentials first so you can dive right into the game you just bought while it installs the rest in the background. If Xbone did the same I think the times would be similar.

Top Bottom