• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(11-29-2013, 11:02 AM)
http://www.n-land.co.jp/ (I think the site is down or hammered now)

Neverland Company, the developers of Lufia, Rune Factory, and the Shining Force Neo and EXA games, will cease operations on November 29 2013 because they have failed to successfully raise funds to continue their business. In a few days they will officially begin bankruptcy proceedings. :(

Kyouji
Haman Discharged... she smells nice
(11-29-2013, 11:03 AM)
Not like this...
silkysmooth
That really sucks :(
Yawnier
Wow, sad...
Hours Left
(11-29-2013, 11:04 AM)
Is there a chance some other company will snatch them up?
PandaPedinte
(11-29-2013, 11:04 AM)
D:

Wow this is bad. Is there a chance to they being bought?
Last edited by PandaPedinte; 11-29-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Pressed post too early
batbeg
(11-29-2013, 11:05 AM)
That suuucks
Celine
(11-29-2013, 11:05 AM)
Sadly, just a question of time.
Dorj
Banned
(11-29-2013, 11:06 AM)
Does that mean no more Rune Factory?
duckroll
(11-29-2013, 11:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Dorj

Does that mean no more Rune Factory?

MMV will have to find someone else to develop it, and it probably be different from what the series has been up until now I suppose.
L~A
(11-29-2013, 11:13 AM)
Looks like it simply didn't matter than Rune Factory IV became the best-selling entry in the franchise. Always sad to see some decent companies close down like this.
vareon
(11-29-2013, 11:14 AM)
Wasn't Rune Factory 4 the best selling entry? ....

:(
Tenki
(11-29-2013, 11:14 AM)
Wow that sucks :(
wrowa
(11-29-2013, 11:16 AM)
Rune Factory was rather successful, but most of the money probably went straight to MMV. What else have they done in recent years? I guess they just didn't have enough contracts apart of the Rune Factory fare. :(
mclem
(11-29-2013, 11:18 AM)

Originally Posted by L~A

Looks like it simply didn't matter than Rune Factory IV became the best-selling entry in the franchise. Always sad to see some decent companies close down like this.

I was about to comment on that; I was under the impression Rune Factory IV did fine. Would it be the other titles that dragged them down? Had MMV lost interest in RF despite it being on the up?

Are MMV doing okay in themselves?
Yagharek
(11-29-2013, 11:19 AM)
Well FUCK.

No PAL localisation of RF4 I guess ;_;
Apdiddy
(11-29-2013, 11:20 AM)
That's horrible. There is a place in this world for developers like Neverland Company (even though all they've made recently is Rune Factory games)....at times, I really hate this focus on AAA gaming. So no more Lufia or Rune Factory. :(

Help us Sega, you are our only hope....
duckroll
(11-29-2013, 11:21 AM)

Originally Posted by mclem

I was about to comment on that; I was under the impression Rune Factory IV did fine. Would it be the other titles that dragged them down? Had MMV lost interest in RF despite it being on the up?

Are MMV doing okay in themselves?

For a developer to close down like this, it would be likely that they've been operating in the red for a while now. They probably finally ran out of money to pay their debts and bills.
hosannainexcelsis
Sad. Rune Factory has been a good series - started off a bit rough but constantly improving until it produced some very enjoyable games. My heart goes out to those who are going to lose their jobs because of this; I hope they can get back on their feet elsewhere.
witchedwiz
runefactory4..
in pal region...
please don't abandon me...... please.....
L~A

Originally Posted by Yagharek

Well FUCK.

Why do you say that? Zen United already said they'd bring the game to Europe in early 2014. Besides, it's only the developers that are impacted by this, the publisher (Marvelous) is doing just fine.
Basileus777
(11-29-2013, 11:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Yagharek

Well FUCK.

I imagine that'd be up to Marvelous anyway.

Originally Posted by Hours Left

Is there a chance some other company will snatch them up?

I don't think they own any valuable IP, that probably makes them an unattractive acquisition.
Coxy
Banned
(11-29-2013, 11:22 AM)
huh, that's odd, thought the rune factory games were doing good.
They did make shit out of some beloved IPs but since that was work for hire I didnt think it'd effect them
LayLa
(11-29-2013, 11:23 AM)
awww this sad, maybe they didn't get the contract for RF5? still haven't played RF4 due to region locking :(
mclem
(11-29-2013, 11:27 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

For a developer to close down like this, it would be likely that they've been operating in the red for a while now. They probably finally ran out of money to pay their debts and bills.

Well, yes, but I'm curious how they ended up in debt; were they accepting development contracts for much less than what they'd spend on development? Were they expecting other contracts which never came through (that's rather like the reason I got laid off, ultimately)?

Was RF4 significantly delayed? I don't recall. I'd have to assume given MMV's MO that they'd have been receptive to an RF5 unless they themselves were hard up, so I'm wondering if it's *other*, non-RF reasons that they couldn't sustain themselves.
Spieler Eins
(11-29-2013, 11:37 AM)
Well, shit :( So is the series dead or could someone else make RF for MMV?
duckroll
(11-29-2013, 11:39 AM)

Originally Posted by mclem

Well, yes, but I'm curious how they ended up in debt; were they accepting development contracts for much less than what they'd spend on development? Were they expecting other contracts which never came through (that's rather like the reason I got laid off, ultimately)?

Was RF4 significantly delayed? I don't recall. I'd have to assume given MMV's MO that they'd have been receptive to an RF5 unless they themselves were hard up, so I'm wondering if it's *other*, non-RF reasons that they couldn't sustain themselves.

I doubt it has anything specific to do with RF4. The press release makes it sound like they've been in trouble for a while. It says that in recent years, because of a slump in results due to changes in their business environment, they've been saddled with debt from banks and they're having problems paying it back. They also mention that they've tried everything in terms of raising funds to continue operations, including trying to find a buyer for the company, but everything has failed. So now they're winding down the business. :(
Other
(11-29-2013, 11:39 AM)

Originally Posted by L~A

Why do you say that? Zen United already said they'd bring the game to Europe in early 2014. Besides, it's only the developers that are impacted by this, the publisher (Marvelous) is doing just fine.

Localization Programming is usually done by the developer, though there are exceptions in certain cases.
L~A
(11-29-2013, 11:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Other

Localization Programming is usually done by the developer, though there are exceptions in certain cases.

Game has already been translated and released in the US. The EU release will definitely use XSEED localisation, so there's little left to do development-wise. No doubt Marvelous AQL will take care of whatever needs to be done, since they're the publisher after all.
Datschge
(11-29-2013, 11:50 AM)
Another Telenet Japan offspring kicks the bucket. Sad, I just recently learned that the Rune Factory series was directed by the person that handled the Zan series (among others) in the Wolfteam days early to mid 1990s...
Zevenberge
(11-29-2013, 11:55 AM)
I'm still staring at the screen in disbelief.
Neverland, rest in peace.
Kouriozan
(11-29-2013, 12:08 PM)
Aww, that's always sad to hear :(
Goldmund
(11-29-2013, 12:11 PM)
99 years after bankruptcy they'll rise again.
m0t0k1
(11-29-2013, 12:13 PM)
Nooooo first Cing now Neverland all my favorite studios dieing one by one :(
influentzar
(11-29-2013, 12:48 PM)
*look at the post*
*look at the 3DS screen on my hand*
... oh dear...
Spierek
(11-29-2013, 12:54 PM)
Very sad news, RF3 was the bomb.
Spirit Icana
(11-29-2013, 12:59 PM)
This reminds me...

I still have no idea what happened to their former awesome composer, Yasunori Shiono. :(
Datschge
(11-29-2013, 01:01 PM)
Shiono left the business years ago.
K.Sabot
(11-29-2013, 01:03 PM)
Why didn't you guys buy RF4.

ronpaulitdidnthavetobelikethis.jpg
Spirit Icana
(11-29-2013, 01:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Datschge

Shiono left the business years ago.

Any idea if he's still making music outside video games, or did he just disappear after... what was it, Lufia 4 on GBA?
Paskil
(11-29-2013, 01:06 PM)
I bought Rune Factory 4, day one. Did my part. :(
Spieler Eins
(11-29-2013, 01:07 PM)

Originally Posted by K.Sabot

Why didn't you guys buy RF4.

ronpaulitdidnthavetobelikethis.jpg

Because it's not out. :I
YianGaruga
(11-29-2013, 01:08 PM)
Developers of the original Lufia and Lufia II?
awww :(
duckroll
(11-29-2013, 01:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Spirit Icana

Any idea if he's still making music outside video games, or did he just disappear after... what was it, Lufia 4 on GBA?

http://www.rpgdl.org/est3/neveroff2013.html

According to this report of an offline meeting event with old Lufia staffers, Shino mentioned that he's managing a soba place set up by his dad in 2010: http://tabelog.com/tochigi/A0903/A090302/9010883/
Terra_Ex
(11-29-2013, 01:16 PM)
Sad news, really enjoyed RF:F and the SF games were alright for what they were I suppose.
RPG_Fanatic
(11-29-2013, 01:16 PM)
No, not the Rune Factory devs. I hope these people can find work elsewhere.
Dark_castle
(11-29-2013, 01:18 PM)
Dammit.

I really like Lufia II and the two Shining Force games in PS2.
MrChocolate
(11-29-2013, 01:19 PM)
They own the Lufia IP right? If then, Nintendo/Sony/Sega BUY IT DAMMIT!!!
duckroll
(11-29-2013, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by MrChocolate

They own the Lufia IP right? If then, Nintendo/Sony/Sega BUY IT DAMMIT!!!

No I'm pretty sure S-E does.
Sammy Samusu
I should post less pop-gaf speak spam. It's bad for my health.
(11-29-2013, 01:24 PM)
Hmmmm, let's see how this impacts Rune Factory 5.

Originally Posted by L~A

They got paid for their work, Marvelous is the one who collected all the extra coins.