• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missing YouTube on your PS4? Here's how to fix it.

S¡mon

Banned
While there is no native YouTube app (yet) for PS4, there's a way to get back an almost exact replica. Almost.

It's not as easy as a native app. It's not as direct, but it's at least acceptable.

1) Open the Internet browser
2) Go to "http://www.youtube.com/tv"
3) You'll now see the 'native YouTube app' that we had before

Additional steps for 'optimal' experience:

- Use the square button to go full screen
- If used frequently, the "YouTube TV" page will show up on your "Frequently Used Pages" list, for even quicker access

Bookmark
You can also create a bookmark for quick access. When you are on the webpage "http://www.youtube.com/tv", press the "Options" button and select "Add boodmark".

Once it is in your "Frequently Used Pages" or "Bookmarks" list, it's not that bothersome. Sure, it is still one or two steps more than before - but at least we can use YouTube.

RQoGc1X.jpg

wMsHFmg.png

Extra Hint for an even better YouTube experience on your TV
In the YouTube app go to "Settings" and than "Pair Device". It allows you to pair the YouTube page with your smartphone, tablet or PC. This way, you can select a video on your smartphone or tablet, while you watch it on your TV. :)

Rich!

Yikes, it looks the same as the xbox one app, which is not that great in terms of UI.

And the same as the Wii U app too, iirc.

Not good. Browsing standard YouTube on the Wii U is still the superior way to go. Watch video on the TV, browse on the pad. Throw a video to the TV whenever you want. Brilliant.

And the same as the Wii U app too, iirc.

Not good. Browsing standard YouTube on the Wii U is still the superior way to go. Watch video on the TV, browse on the pad. Throw a video to the TV whenever you want. Brilliant.

I'd die for the same thing to work on the 3DS's browser. Then we'd get 3D videos! But NOOO Google doesn't feel like competently designing their apps for systems.

Sean

Banned
I was wondering why the Xbox One YouTube app had such a terrible UI that didn't match anything else on the system and noticeably worse performance than other apps. Now I see that it was basically just a bookmark/webview for this page.

Wish they would design native apps for these consoles, they certainly have the resources.

Rich!

I was wondering why the Xbox One YouTube app had such a terrible UI that didn't match anything else on the system and noticeably worse performance than other apps. Now I see that it was basically just a bookmark/webview for this page.

Wish they would design native apps for these consoles, they certainly have the resources.

Isn't youtube locked to Xbox Live memberships too? If so, that's hilarious.

IISANDERII

Didn't even realize youtube worked at all. I was just fooling around with the web browser, went to youtube, it said that I need Flash to play videos and that it was incompatible with my device, clicked on a video anyway and boomla, it works.

And the method in the OP makes it even better. Navigates faster than the PS3 app and hopefully it's reliable. Sucked all kinds of balls for longer videos.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yikes, it looks the same as the xbox one app, which is not that great in terms of UI.

No it doesn't?
xboxonebrowseui102813.jpg

I don't have one so that picture may not be accurate.

If Netflix worked together with MS to make an interface fitting of the Xbox, I always assumed they did the same with the Playstation 3. Since the rail has the same design philosophy as the new PS Store.

I think it may be the case that youtube.com/tv is the same thing as the app on any TV platform. The app is more than likely made in HTML5 with CSS/JavaScript and the website is no exception to this. The website looks, works, and feels exactly the same as the YouTube app on any TV platform. So the YouTube app is essentially youtube.com/tv anyways.

The only difference when the "app" (or rather web app) comes to the PS4 is that it'll be treated as an app with it's own icon on the PS4, not something you have to go through the browser for.

I just used the regular website last night with no issues. Its no app, but I don't see the need to use this "TV" psuedo app version.

IISANDERII

11208954543_e2266dd679_c.jpg

Shoulda dedicated more rams
LOL.gif

No, seriously, I ran into this problem frequently on PS3 youtube and was eagerly awaiting PS4 so this bullshit wouldn't happen and here we are, happens the first damn time I try it.

Yeah hopefully the app won't have this issue but youtube on the whole has become shit anyway so my hopes for anything from google are in the sewers.

11208954543_e2266dd679_c.jpg

Shoulda dedicated more rams
LOL.gif

No, seriously, I ran into this problem frequently on PS3 youtube and was eagerly awaiting PS4 so this bullshit wouldn't happen and here we are, happens the first damn time I try it.

Yeah hopefully the app won't have this issue but youtube on the whole has become shit anyway so my hopes for anything from google are in the sewers.

How did you trigger that? I've been using the Youtube TV page and it's been pretty damn good. Multiple tabs, perhaps?

IISANDERII

How did you trigger that? I've been using the Youtube TV page and it's been pretty damn good. Multiple tabs, perhaps?
Just used the /Tv method in the OP, was browsing through my subscriptions, watched a bit of video, tried to watch another video and crash. Nothing out of the ordinary.
No other tabs. No other games or apps.

Pauly Math

Neo Member
No it doesn't?
xboxonebrowseui102813.jpg

I don't have one so that picture may not be accurate.

If Netflix worked together with MS to make an interface fitting of the Xbox, I always assumed they did the same with the Playstation 3. Since the rail has the same design philosophy as the new PS Store.

Youtube, not Netflix

IISANDERII

This works better than the native app for PS360 for one single reason: It allows you to go to a video at whatever time you want. On PS360 all you can do is fast forward in small increments[with shoulder buttons, somebody correct me if I'm wrong] while this way on PS4 you can just use the cursor to point to a spot on the timeline and you're there.

Very helpful for longer videos. I fell asleep watching the Giantbomb Friday program and now I can go right where I left off. If this was on PS360, I wouldn't have bothered.

kiguel182

I've used that mode but the textboxes seem harder to click compared to the normal page, not a fan.

The easiest way is to pair your youtube on the pc with the PS4 one and just send the videos there, that way it works but I would still prefer a dedicated app.

Top Bottom