• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SĦmon
Member
(11-30-2013, 08:46 PM)
SĦmon's Avatar
While there is no native YouTube app (yet) for PS4, there's a way to get back an almost exact replica. Almost.

It's not as easy as a native app. It's not as direct, but it's at least acceptable.

1) Open the Internet browser
2) Go to "http://www.youtube.com/tv"
3) You'll now see the 'native YouTube app' that we had before

Additional steps for 'optimal' experience:

- Use the square button to go full screen
- If used frequently, the "YouTube TV" page will show up on your "Frequently Used Pages" list, for even quicker access

Bookmark
You can also create a bookmark for quick access. When you are on the webpage "http://www.youtube.com/tv", press the "Options" button and select "Add boodmark".

Once it is in your "Frequently Used Pages" or "Bookmarks" list, it's not that bothersome. Sure, it is still one or two steps more than before - but at least we can use YouTube.





Extra Hint for an even better YouTube experience on your TV
In the YouTube app go to "Settings" and than "Pair Device". It allows you to pair the YouTube page with your smartphone, tablet or PC. This way, you can select a video on your smartphone or tablet, while you watch it on your TV. :)
beast786
Member
(11-30-2013, 08:47 PM)
beast786's Avatar
So I can snap it on my ipad ;p
backbreaker65
aka gluv65
(11-30-2013, 08:53 PM)
good look my dude.
PAULINK
Member
(11-30-2013, 08:55 PM)
PAULINK's Avatar
Yikes, it looks the same as the xbox one app, which is not that great in terms of UI.
richisawesome
Member
(11-30-2013, 08:57 PM)
richisawesome's Avatar

Originally Posted by PAULINK

Yikes, it looks the same as the xbox one app, which is not that great in terms of UI.

And the same as the Wii U app too, iirc.

Not good. Browsing standard YouTube on the Wii U is still the superior way to go. Watch video on the TV, browse on the pad. Throw a video to the TV whenever you want. Brilliant.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(11-30-2013, 08:58 PM)
chubigans's Avatar
Ah nice, thanks! Now I don't have to boot up my PS3 anymore. :D
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(11-30-2013, 08:59 PM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar

Originally Posted by richisawesome

And the same as the Wii U app too, iirc.

Not good. Browsing standard YouTube on the Wii U is still the superior way to go. Watch video on the TV, browse on the pad. Throw a video to the TV whenever you want. Brilliant.

I'd die for the same thing to work on the 3DS's browser. Then we'd get 3D videos! But NOOO Google doesn't feel like competently designing their apps for systems.
Sean
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:05 PM)
Sean's Avatar
I was wondering why the Xbox One YouTube app had such a terrible UI that didn't match anything else on the system and noticeably worse performance than other apps. Now I see that it was basically just a bookmark/webview for this page.

Wish they would design native apps for these consoles, they certainly have the resources.
richisawesome
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:07 PM)
richisawesome's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sean

I was wondering why the Xbox One YouTube app had such a terrible UI that didn't match anything else on the system and noticeably worse performance than other apps. Now I see that it was basically just a bookmark/webview for this page.

Wish they would design native apps for these consoles, they certainly have the resources.

Isn't youtube locked to Xbox Live memberships too? If so, that's hilarious.
HawksWinStanley
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:08 PM)
HawksWinStanley's Avatar
There's no YouTube app on PS4? Is it coming soon?
sangreal
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:08 PM)
sangreal's Avatar

Originally Posted by richisawesome

Isn't youtube locked to Xbox Live memberships too? If so, that's hilarious.

so is the web browser so it doesnt really make a difference
xBuTcHeRx
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:20 PM)
AMAZING find OP. Thanks to you I'm using it now :D
richisawesome
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:21 PM)
richisawesome's Avatar

Originally Posted by sangreal

so is the web browser so it doesnt really make a difference

...But you can access a web browser (and youtube) for free on almost every other device on the market. It's just odd.
xBuTcHeRx
Member
(11-30-2013, 09:21 PM)

Originally Posted by HawksWinStanley

There's no YouTube app on PS4? Is it coming soon?

Yes it's coming but this is a great alternative while we wait.
SĦmon
Member
(11-30-2013, 10:27 PM)
SĦmon's Avatar

Originally Posted by chubigans

Ah nice, thanks! Now I don't have to boot up my PS3 anymore. :D

Originally Posted by xBuTcHeRx

AMAZING find OP. Thanks to you I'm using it now :D

Thanks! This is exactly why I posted this... in the hope that it was useful for someone. :)
IISANDERII
Member
(12-04-2013, 04:43 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar
Didn't even realize youtube worked at all. I was just fooling around with the web browser, went to youtube, it said that I need Flash to play videos and that it was incompatible with my device, clicked on a video anyway and boomla, it works.

And the method in the OP makes it even better. Navigates faster than the PS3 app and hopefully it's reliable. Sucked all kinds of balls for longer videos.
ieatzombies
Member
(12-04-2013, 04:49 PM)
ieatzombies's Avatar
Good looks on the tip man! I can finally stop using ps3youtube in the browser :-)
coolasj19
Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
(12-04-2013, 04:54 PM)
coolasj19's Avatar

Originally Posted by PAULINK

Yikes, it looks the same as the xbox one app, which is not that great in terms of UI.

No it doesn't?

I don't have one so that picture may not be accurate.

If Netflix worked together with MS to make an interface fitting of the Xbox, I always assumed they did the same with the Playstation 3. Since the rail has the same design philosophy as the new PS Store.
Interframe
Junior Member
(12-04-2013, 04:59 PM)
I think it may be the case that youtube.com/tv is the same thing as the app on any TV platform. The app is more than likely made in HTML5 with CSS/JavaScript and the website is no exception to this. The website looks, works, and feels exactly the same as the YouTube app on any TV platform. So the YouTube app is essentially youtube.com/tv anyways.

The only difference when the "app" (or rather web app) comes to the PS4 is that it'll be treated as an app with it's own icon on the PS4, not something you have to go through the browser for.
Last edited by Interframe; 12-04-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Lazaro
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:00 PM)
Lazaro's Avatar
Dosent PS4 support YouTubes HTML5 mode?
ymmv
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:03 PM)
ymmv's Avatar

Originally Posted by sangreal

so is the web browser so it doesnt really make a difference

What? Even the browser is behind a pay wall? That's incredible.
riskVSreward
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:04 PM)
riskVSreward's Avatar
I just used the regular website last night with no issues. Its no app, but I don't see the need to use this "TV" psuedo app version.
SymbiantXenos
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:06 PM)
SymbiantXenos's Avatar
This works 100% thank you. Was missing the app (even though I could have used the PS3/vita/xperia version.

Thank you once again.
Thrakier
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:07 PM)

Originally Posted by sangreal

so is the web browser so it doesnt really make a difference

The web browser of a 500$ self titled multimedia machine is...behind a paywall? Amazing. It really is amazing.
IISANDERII
Member
(12-04-2013, 05:48 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar


Shoulda dedicated more rams

No, seriously, I ran into this problem frequently on PS3 youtube and was eagerly awaiting PS4 so this bullshit wouldn't happen and here we are, happens the first damn time I try it.

Yeah hopefully the app won't have this issue but youtube on the whole has become shit anyway so my hopes for anything from google are in the sewers.
Kabuki Quantum Lover
βαρβαρβαρβαρβαρ
βαρβαρβαρβαρβαρ
(12-04-2013, 05:50 PM)
Kabuki Quantum Lover's Avatar

Originally Posted by IISANDERII



Shoulda dedicated more rams

No, seriously, I ran into this problem frequently on PS3 youtube and was eagerly awaiting PS4 so this bullshit wouldn't happen and here we are, happens the first damn time I try it.

Yeah hopefully the app won't have this issue but youtube on the whole has become shit anyway so my hopes for anything from google are in the sewers.

How did you trigger that? I've been using the Youtube TV page and it's been pretty damn good. Multiple tabs, perhaps?
Joeki11a
Banned
(12-04-2013, 06:00 PM)
He has to much Apps "ON"
UNCMark
Banned
(12-04-2013, 06:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Kabuki Quantum Lover

How did you trigger that? I've been using the Youtube TV page and it's been pretty damn good. Multiple tabs, perhaps?

I get that message when I use Twitch.tv. It's really a shitty browser. I just got a Wii U and that thing's browser is amazing in comparison.
IISANDERII
Member
(12-04-2013, 06:04 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kabuki Quantum Lover

How did you trigger that? I've been using the Youtube TV page and it's been pretty damn good. Multiple tabs, perhaps?

Just used the /Tv method in the OP, was browsing through my subscriptions, watched a bit of video, tried to watch another video and crash. Nothing out of the ordinary.
No other tabs. No other games or apps.
Pauly Math
Junior Member
(12-04-2013, 06:06 PM)
Pauly Math's Avatar

Originally Posted by coolasj19

No it doesn't?

I don't have one so that picture may not be accurate.

If Netflix worked together with MS to make an interface fitting of the Xbox, I always assumed they did the same with the Playstation 3. Since the rail has the same design philosophy as the new PS Store.

Youtube, not Netflix
coolasj19
Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
(12-04-2013, 10:38 PM)
coolasj19's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pauly Math

Youtube, not Netflix

Dammit... your right. Brain fart.
The One and Done™
Member
(12-04-2013, 10:40 PM)
The One and Done™'s Avatar
Lol fuck youtube
IISANDERII
Member
(12-22-2013, 08:54 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar
This works better than the native app for PS360 for one single reason: It allows you to go to a video at whatever time you want. On PS360 all you can do is fast forward in small increments[with shoulder buttons, somebody correct me if I'm wrong] while this way on PS4 you can just use the cursor to point to a spot on the timeline and you're there.

Very helpful for longer videos. I fell asleep watching the Giantbomb Friday program and now I can go right where I left off. If this was on PS360, I wouldn't have bothered.
kiguel182
Member
(12-22-2013, 08:56 PM)
kiguel182's Avatar
I've used that mode but the textboxes seem harder to click compared to the normal page, not a fan.

The easiest way is to pair your youtube on the pc with the PS4 one and just send the videos there, that way it works but I would still prefer a dedicated app.
Last edited by kiguel182; 12-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Thread Tools