• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

Gangxxter

So when they say Wednesday, what time on Wednesday we talking? Midnight? It's nice to be excited for a game that I paid for a year ago :D
Steam store page says: "This game will unlock in approximately 21 hours"

What's the total size of the game gonna be on PC?
This worries me for the PS Vita ver. because if both games end up being 3 GB...I'd rather get the game retail instead if possible @_@
According to GOG.com the download size is 3.9 GB. But I guess that is both episodes combined. On the other hand, the Beta with only 8 % percent of content of the whole game is already 1.1 GB large :O
Vita version will be definitely smaller in size because they can reduce the size of the assets by a good chunk because of the small screen resolution.

If the game doesn't run on my laptop I'll definitely be shedding tears.
Make sure your graphics card supports at least 4k textures (GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE must be at least 4096). Refer to this list of graphics chips to see if your card is supported: http://delphigl.de/glcapsviewer/listreports.php

For those worried that the game is only in 720p, from the newest developer diary:

Sweet. :)
Still a shame they can't provide that on launch day -.-

Green Yoshi

First review by German magazine GamersGlobal: 8/10 (they call it a “score trend” because it's only the first half of the game, they'll update the score once the second episode is out)

The say that the needed 6-7 hours for completion and criticize that there only a few locations.

Paris and London only

Terra_Ex

Has Nico got yet another new voice actress in BS5? Getting close to finishing my broken sword marathon and Nico's voice changing with every game is by far the most jarring element of the series continuity wise (though its probably exacerbated due to my playing them all back to back).

Played one and two on the PlayStation. Got the first game as part of a charity compilation called Help! which included Myst and Road Rash. Then I got the second game free when I subscribed to Official PlayStation Magazine UK which I remember being a fairly decent mag for the time. Never bothered with 3 or 4.

I will be getting this when the second episode is out. I don't see the point in the episodic structure for a game like this. Perhaps the lower price point panders to hand held audiences.

Gangxxter

Has Nico got yet another new voice actress in BS5? Getting close to finishing my broken sword marathon and Nico's voice changing with every game is by far the most jarring element of the series continuity wise (though its probably exacerbated due to my playing them all back to back).
Yes, she has a new voice actress again. Originally they wanted to bring back Hazel Ellerby (voice actress in BS1) but it didn't work out so they had to use a new actress.

Looks like it's out on GOG but revolution still hasn't sent out redemption codes :/

Really? I can't download it yet:

ptCWbrh.png

Not that it matters, I'm off to work now anyway. But I want to play it as soon as I get home, so hopefully it's not released at midnight or something.

Eeeep, it's here!

Gangxxter

It looked like you edited your post or something. As if you first thought you can't download but after that you saw you can download it already.

"I can't download it yet" and "Eeeep, it's here!" are two contradicting statements :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah when I checked GOG a few hours ago it had the 'Buy Now' and nothing about pre-order. Thought it might be out. Yeah it's switched back to 'Will unlock...' now.

Replaying BS1 in anticipation. Not sure whether I want to play this on PC or not. I actually really enjoy adventure games on tablet. Nothing would please me more than sitting down and playing this in an actual cafe in Paris
not that I could afford to/fear of getting blown up

It looked like you edited your post or something. As if you first thought you can't download but after that you saw you can download it already.

"I can't download it yet" and "Eeeep, it's here!" are two contradicting statements :p

Ah fair enough :)

I'll be checking GOG all day at work and will post a real "Eeeep!" when it's definitely downloadable.

RAIDEN1

Well in the meantime I'll download Beneath a Steel Sky and get the updated version of Broken Sword 2, that should keep me busy till the demo releases..

Gangxxter

Well in the meantime I'll download Beneath a Steel Sky and get the updated version of Broken Sword 2, that should keep me busy till the demo releases..
You mean the full Episode 1...

when they say released on windows do they mean the store or like the old way?
What do you mean? The game will be released today for Windows, Mac and Linux on Steam and GOG.com (GOG.com Windows&Mac only).
If you want to own a retail copy, you need to wait till next year. They try to release a retail copy, but they don't know yet when (or if) it gets released.

Hah - rocking a cropped image of my George wallpaper I made many, many years ago:

I always get a small boost of happiness when I see that image pop up online.
This is indeed a great wallpaper!

I love Broken Sword but I hate episodic content games.
Well, it's not really episodic, it's only split in two halves. Just wait until the second half is released next year and you'll get one full adventure on a large scale.

Ganondolf

What do you mean? The game will be released today for Windows, Mac and Linux on Steam and GOG.com (GOG.com Windows&Mac only).
If you want to own a retail copy, you need to wait till next year. They try to release a retail copy, but they don't know yet when (or if) it gets released.

I mean is it in the windows (8) App Store (the one built in to windows 8)?

RAIDEN1

Not worried about the portion of episode 1 released as a demo, as long as there is a demo available that's the main thing..can be of episode 1 or 2, not fussed..

Gangxxter

I mean is it in the windows (8) App Store (the one built in to windows 8)?
I see. No, it only releases on Steam and GOG.com.

Not worried about the portion of episode 1 released as a demo, as long as there is a demo available that's the main thing..can be of episode 1 or 2, not fussed..
Sorry, misinterpreted your post. I thought you've pre-ordered/backed and you're now waiting for the full game.
I expect a Demo version in the following weeks. Go ahead, play BASS if you haven't already, it's a great game ;)

mclem

While on the one hand it must be really nice for a developer to be able to have direct input into their product that close up until release, as a user, the thought of last minute tinkering doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

There's always last minute tinkering. That's what the last minute is for.

Gangxxter

First(?) English review:

Metro: 6/10
Pure fan service in every sense, which ensures an enjoyably nostalgic adventure but also means a number of flaws that wouldn’t be tolerated in other circumstances.

Another review:

Digital Spy: 3/5
This first episode of Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is a noble attempt at recapturing the spirit of a classic from a bygone era, that doesn't quite reach the same lofty standards as the original.

jonnyp

You mean the full Episode 1...

Well, it's not really episodic, it's only split in two halves. Just wait until the second half is released next year and you'll get one full adventure on a large scale.

Oh ok, I can live with 2 parts :) Yay, more Broken Sword and a HD remake of Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers is also coming out next year!

Gangxxter

Don't want to read the full review, have only read the bottom line. But they also list some cons below:

Cons: The script and voice acting is highly variable, and many of the puzzles are either absurdly abstract or purely dialogue-based.

Can't access the link, but what're the flaws they bring up exactly?

Sounds like nico is crap again and the dialogue isn't amazing, but the puzzles are good while remaining logical.

The reviewer is one of the best in the UK and is a long time fan of point & clicks btw.

Gangxxter

Updated the first post with some reviews, seems the Germans like it more heh.
Germans are the only ones who know how to appreciate good adventure games ;)

Translation of the bottom line in the PC Games review:
Revolution took the criticism of the 3D predecessors and the wishes of the fans to heart and made a really great new part in the series. Therefore it hurts as much more that the game ends halfway after about eight hours. Just when the investigations are close to a breakthrough and George and Nico are in greatest danger, the team around Broken Sword father Charles Cecil pulls the plug. Small cliffhanger. Credits. See you again in Episode 2.

epmode

In my experience, modern adventure game reviews have been very unreliable outside of a few select reviewers. FOR EXAMPLE, RPS' John Walker tends to know a good game when he sees it.

Not to excuse a bad game or anything but I really liked the demo and I have a hard time believing the lower scores, especially considering the sorry state of the genre.

In my experience, modern adventure game reviews have been very unreliable outside of a few select reviewers. FOR EXAMPLE, RPS' John Walker tends to know a good game when he sees it.

Not to excuse a bad game or anything but I really liked the demo and I have a hard time believing the lower scores, especially considering the sorry state of the genre.

For Adventure game reviews I only look at adventuregamers.com.

You don't rate games by how desperate you are for someone to release something for the genre though :/

By the way, how is nico's va? From the sounds of things she's nowhere near as good as the one from BS2, but surely she's not as bad as the one from BS4?

epmode

You don't rate games by how desperate you are for someone to release something for the genre though :/

Of course.

I feel like I may weight stuff differently than many reviewers though. For traditional adventure games, good writing is ridiculously important yet I see awkwardly translated games getting favorable reviews pretty often, presumably because of the art or music or whatever.

The BS5 demo is actually well-written so that alone puts it over most other modern example of the genre.

Top Bottom