• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Also, while we are talking about BOTM winners, why doesn't Dean White have an Eisner for best colourist yet? Dave Stewart has enough awards. Dean White for 2014.

Messi

Well yeah, because it's where the best books are. People probably read more big 2 books on the whole but everyone actually likes their indie titles more.

In the last year, I went from 90% Marvel to 90% Image. I followed the quality train into station.

As someone who got really into comics in the past 6-8 months. Most of what I read is Image produced and most of my favourite books are from there, also batgirl .

ReiGun

I like what I like and don't give a fuck what company it is.

tumblr_m2wvx5IJRt1qaben4o8_400.gif

Awesome comics are awesome. Don't give a damn which company logo is on the cover.

Damn they cant kill off The Watcher. He was starting to get characterization in FF. Can't believe its under police jurisdiction, I think The Watcher demands a higher power investigating his death.

ReiGun

Sunday night and a new thread? Lemme see dem lists!

Action Comics #26
Batman Superman #6
Earth 2 #18
Green Arrow #26
Movement #7
Amazing X-Men #2

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=42220

Barnes and Noble's site is doing Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Marvel/DC trades - plus the BFRIDAY30 code will give you 30 percent off the most expensive one.

Ended up getting the "Sequential Art of Amanda Conner" collection, Elektra Assassin and Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes.

I got the Invincible Iron Man omnibus vol. 1, the new Hawkeye hardcover, and pre-ordered the paperback Immortal Iron Fist omnibus for exactly $50. I'm quite pleased.

Cheska

Barnes and Noble's site is doing Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Marvel/DC trades - plus the BFRIDAY30 code will give you 30 percent off the most expensive one.

Ended up getting the "Sequential Art of Amanda Conner" collection, Elektra Assassin and Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes.

Hnnng. I don't know what else to buy, I've order so much off of there in the past month already.

Ass kicking list of the week
Action Comics #26
Amazing X-men #2
Batman Superman #6
Fearless Defenders #12 :( :(
Guardians of the Galaxy #9
Hinterkind #3
Velvet #2
Young Avengers #13

I'm behind on Green Arrow and Superior Spidey so I should probably read up on the last few issues so I can pick those up too.

Nudull

Banned
I like what I like and don't give a fuck what company it is.

*sagenod*

EDIT: Silly me, I plum forgot about my own list. :p

Adventure Time OGN 2, Pixel Princesses
Avengers: Enemy Within TPB
Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard vol. 2 HC
---
Amazing Spider-Man #700.1
Ash and the Army of Darkness #2
Inhumanity #1
Legends of Red Sonja #2
The Movement #7
Regular Show #7
Superior Spider-Man #23
Young Avengers #13

Again, I hope my wallet recovers enough so I can catch back up.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I really want to check out that Hip Hop Family Tree book, have you cracked it open yet? Impressions?

I flipped through it at a shop and it looked, from an art and presentation perspective, super fucking rad. It's oversized and the paper used is crazy.

I fear that I have but one list to give for my country.

Action Comics #26
Batman Superman #6
Detective Comics #26
Earth 2 #18
Green Lantern #26
Swamp Thing #26
Trinity Of Sin The Phantom Stranger #14

Messi

Nothing for me this week. Good week to do more catching up. I would buy Velvet #2 but I can't afford the trip to go to the store this week lol so hopefully it's still there next week.

arkon

Hinterkind #3
Prophet #41
Six-Gun Gorilla #6
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #24
Velvet #2
X-Men Legacy #21
Young Avengers #13

Really strong week for me.

Listpocalypse now:

Movement #7
Trillium #5
Elephantmen #52
Prophet #41
Velvet #2
Amazing X-men #2
Fearless Defenders #12
Inhumanity #1

The List

Pick Up
Velvet #2
MK Spider-Man #3
MK X-Men #2

DCBS
Green Arrow #26
Amazing X-Men #2
Avengers Annual #1
Inhumanity #1
Superior Spider-Man #23
Young Avengers #13

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I wish they had the original Fantastic Four Omnibus in stock. That 30% would be great to use, alongside the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus and one of their volume twos.

BN's search is totally borked right now, making it harder to find stuff.

Bigfoot

Doesn't Locke and Key end this month?

I'm still waiting for the 6th volume and the wait seems to keep getting longer. I buy most comics digitally but like having the ones I like the most in hard cover trades, and Locke and Key is one of those right now.

Cade

Forgot to ask last month, but how was the Batman/Scooby Doo book? Campy fun or just trying too hard?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
BN order for an easy $44. Ended up grabbing some older books I don't have.

* All-Star Superman
* Jack Kirby's Fourth World, Volume 4
* JLA, Vol 3

IrishNinja

Hellboy in Hell # 5 yissss

I really want to check out that Hip Hop Family Tree book, have you cracked it open yet? Impressions?

friend got me a copy, i gotta read it soon but right off the bat: it looks awesome, great throwback style for the era and i dig it cause the DMC/Marley Marl/etc scene was before my time, really looking forward to it. in the back you've got some really classic pinups of Run, Snoop and hip hop icons as well, totally looks worth the $ but ill post back after finally reading it!

Hey guys, help me out here. I'm after recommendations for my Christmas wishlist, more so outside of the big two. I already read many of DC's weeklies, so I'm looking to broaden my reading. Preferably titles released in 2013 (greater availability). Happy to make exceptions for quality trades though. Here's what I'm working with so far:

The Black Beetle Vol. 1: No Way Out
Hawkeye, Vol. 1 (hardcover)
Lazarus Vol. 1
Locke & Key Vol. 5: Clockworks
Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends

DC
Action Comics #26
Batman Superman #6
Earth 2 #18
Green Lantern #26
Trillium #5 (Of 8)

IDW
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Villain Micro-Series #8 (Shredder)
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #24

Velvet #2

MARVEL
Amazing X-Men #2
Avengers Annual 2013 #1
Cataclysm The Ultimates' Last Stand #2
Guardians Of The Galaxy #9
Inhumanity #1
Marvel Knights X-Men #2
Superior Spider-Man #23
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #7
X-Men Legacy #21
Young Avengers #13

VALIANT
Quantum And Woody #6

I just saw that on the Marvel store there having a $1 sale on all digital comics for the Avengers vs X-Men series. I'm guessing this is there Cyber Monday sale.

I'm gonna probably pick up 2.

arkon

Hey guys, help me out here. I'm after recommendations for my Christmas wishlist, more so outside of the big two. I already read many of DC's weeklies, so I'm looking to broaden my reading. Preferably titles released in 2013 (greater availability). Happy to make exceptions for quality trades though. Here's what I'm working with so far:

Lazarus Vol. 1

Manhattan Projects, Prophet, East of West, Chew, American Vampire and Nowehere Men. Perhaps Saga as well if you aren't already reading it.

Lazarus Vol. 1

Chew/ manhatten projects

People complain about all the big 2 talk in here, but Image cleaned up in the actual voting as I expected.

There is a very vocal, staunch group in ComicGAF that will tear you down if you aren't into indie titles. They'll grudgingly read some Marvel and they'll rip apart anything DC. So no, it doesn't surprise me.

There is a very vocal, staunch group in ComicGAF that will tear you down if you aren't into indie titles. They'll grudgingly read some Marvel and they'll rip apart anything DC. So no, it doesn't surprise me.

Really? I notice that there are a few Marvel fanboys who don't like DC. But there are only, like, two or three indie heads period and of them maybe only Acid dislikes DC and I don't notice him "ripping apart anything DC." He's reading Trillium, for one thing. I don't think much of DC in general but I never really talk about it. What's the point? And like most comic fans, sure, I would love more people to read the books I do because I think they're awesome! But I dont tear anyone down for not reading them. I understand people liking iconic heroes and soap operas (I love actual soap operas) and shared worlds. Sorry, but I have to defend indie Comics GAF (not that there really is one- most people read a little of everything) because I really value my fellow indie heads and don't agree that we behave as snobby asshats.

But I guess we all have our own perspective.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thought it best to ask here.

Aint read any comics for a while, but what are the best ongoings besides Bats, Flash, Daredevil, TWD, Saga & Hawkeye

This Is The List

Amazing X-Men #2
Avengers Annual 2013 #1
Catalyst Comix #6
Deadpool #20
Hellboy In Hell #5
Indestructible Hulk Annual #1
Inhumanity #1
Iron Man #19
Prophet #41
Secret Avengers #12
Superior Spider-Man #23
Velvet #2
Young Avengers #13

Really? I notice that there are a few Marvel fanboys who don't like DC. But there are only, like, two or three indie heads period and of them maybe only Acid dislikes DC and I don't notice him "ripping apart anything DC." He's reading Trillium, for one thing. I don't think much of DC in general but I never really talk about it. What's the point? And like most comic fans, sure, I would love more people to read the books I do because I think they're awesome! But I dont tear anyone down for not reading them. I understand people liking iconic heroes and soap operas (I love actual soap operas) and shared worlds. Sorry, but I have to defend indie Comics GAF (not that there really is one- most people read a little of everything) because I really value my fellow indie heads and don't agree that we behave as snobby asshats.

But I guess we all have our own perspective.

Right, and it's fundamentally bullshit to break it down like this in most cases. Take me, for example. Right now I could be described as a "Marvel fanboy [who doesn't] like DC" but the reality is that I LOVED DC. I just dropped mad bones on the Green Lantern sale to relive the magic of some of my favorite comics.

This kind of attitude a lot time strikes me as weak attempts to debunk valid criticism of DC's current output as the rantings of fanboy blindness. Which couldn't be further from the case. I have no bias against DC Comics. I have a bias against wack comics.

As far as Indie Comics goes, I think there's a survival instinct among old school superhero dudes, like a lizard brain response like "DON'T YOU LEAVE ME TO MAKE SHADOWHAWK"

;D

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I don't really see any of this, man. People have been praising the good DC books, like Batman and Green Arrow and everything Vertigo, and been shitting on the bad ones (rightfully so) like everything Scott Lobdell farts out. With that said, there have just been too many incredible creator-owned comics for them not to dominate the discussion, and I say that as a dude who loves DC.

You seem overly defensive on this one, dude. Also, don't you still pick up Catwoman?

Vyer

It's been toned down recently, but GrandHarrier is right that there was a real overbearing anti-DC vibe in the comics threads, to the point where people were pushing articles that hinted that people who happened to read any DC books were 'bad readers'. And anytime anything DC was mentioned we'd get a constant blast of cheap shots and lame jokes from people who weren't even reading the books.

DC (particularly it's editorial) deserves a good chunk of the criticism it has received, and I also say that as someone who read a lot of DC comics. Right now my favorite stuff is Marvel and indie stuff as well, but there are still a few good DC reads. I'd say the point isn't that DC shouldn't be criticized at all, simply that it was getting to be a bit too much white noise any time anyone wanted to discuss.

As I said though, it hasn't been that bad for several months luckily and overall I think people are still just happy to discuss good comics.

You seem overly defensive on this one, dude.

Eh. Go back and look at old threads. Or just pay more attention to these ones. You'll see constant, unneeded, snarky jabs. Lists are one place they seem to love doing it.

Edit: I should clarify that I wasn't even trying to make this into an anti-DC thing. It's been less of that and just more "if you read anything but indie you're doing it wrong". I'm usually a pretty pragmatic individual. I look at something like the fact that the Big 2 are still successful even in this age of indies as a sign that people still happen to like those comics and they like them in greater numbers than indie titles. This doesn't diminish or raise the quality of either. I understand the appeal of indie books. I get a couple myself. But as someone who likes a shared universe, almost every indie title leaves me wanting. There just isn't enough of it (Red Sonja doing the anthologies is a great idea btw!), or too much is left unexplained. So I consider those negatives marks against them. For someone who doesn't want that shared space, it's obviously not a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom