• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the conference call:

As for the characters depicted on the "Uncanny Avengers" #18.NOW variant, Remender said
the conclusion of "Ragnarok Now" is "pretty shocking" and there's "some form of a mutant home world established in space." "As for what is going on on this planet, I think it's going to be an examination of the mutants getting everything they didn't know they wanted," said Remender. "When there are no humans, save for Wasp, they perhaps continue to break into factions ... it's something we're going to examine." A lot of that story will be told through the eyes of the last human on the planet: the Wasp. Havok will also play a large role.

"Without being unrelentingly depressing, things do not get a lot better -- issue #14 is probably the uppest issue," said Brevoort.

"Issue #14 is the feel-good issue!" said Remender.
LOL. Also, expect a lot of Wasp in upcoming issues; she's going to become a pivotal figure.

Not feeling the Wasp costume. Thought it was an update to Hellcat in the first pic.
I rather like it. The yellowjacket inspired colors mixed with the old-school pointy cap; it looks very retro sci-fi.

Eldren

Uncanny X-Force was pretty much done before Remender jumped on Secret Avengers.

It's not really that interconnected. He'll just continue plots that are introduced in one book to other books. Secret Avengers can probably be read straight through after the Deathlok Nation arc of UXF (5-7 and 5.1) but even that isn't really necessary.

Basically Remender planned UXF to be double its actual length of 35~ issues so a lot of his ideas went into SA/Cap/UA

Hmm ok, so would it be fine to just read UXF straight through and then SA? There's less jumping back and forth between series that way. Thanks for the answers!

Also yeah I think I might start picking up Cap and Uncanny Avengers, it's all sounding rather interesting...

studyguy

Bendis-speak. Dialogue lovingly crafted from the mind of the greatest writer of mainstream comics perhaps the world has ever seen.

Oh there's a term for it?
It kept happening every so often and I was like... who the hell talks this way?
I get that it was supposed to be like small quips, but no one talks like that, what the heck.

Hmm ok, so would it be fine to just read UXF straight through and then SA? There's less jumping back and forth between series that way. Thanks for the answers!

I recently read both, and it flowed pretty well. I think Remender's Secret Avengers is a little underrated, I much prefer his approach than the SHIELD-lite of the current series.

Eldren

I recently read both, and it flowed pretty well. I think Remender's Secret Avengers is a little underrated, I much prefer his approach than the SHIELD-lite of the current series.

Nice, thanks for the help mate. Yeah from what I've seen Remender's style seems way more fun. I've skimmed through a bit and it looks really interesting, the stuff with Ant-Man and Father and whatnot. I'm not too interested in the newer series. I'm currently reading Legend Of Luther Strode but after I've finished I think I'm going to dive into Uncanny X-Force.

Remember when Ellis rescued Secret Avengers from burnt out brubaker?

Can I get a GOD DAMN

image.php

Isn't your avatar from the Brubaker run though

There are some links between them, but they're mostly self-contained and Birdie's continued harping on about their connectivity is only confusing potential readers

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Based Kot is gonna save us all

BELIEVE

In Kot We Trust.

Seriously, he's coming out the comics' gate swingin'. Zero is crazy when you break it down--it probably shouldn't work, but it fucking does.

Marvel:
Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #2 of 5
Superior Spider-Man #23
Inhumanity #1

DC/Vertigo:
Batman/Superman #6
Earth-2 #18
Green Arrow #26
Trillium #5

IDW
Doctor Who #16

This week's issue is written by Kot is it not? And he can make that work with Spencer co-plotting, he will truly be the second coming. Might have to pick that up.

Bii

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=42220

Barnes and Noble's site is doing Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Marvel/DC trades - plus the BFRIDAY30 code will give you 30 percent off the most expensive one.

Ended up getting the "Sequential Art of Amanda Conner" collection, Elektra Assassin and Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes.

If anyone missed this like I did, coupon code CMONDAY25 will give you 25% off the most expensive item. Coupon code and B2G1 ends today. I got All-Star Superman, Infinite Crisis and Batman: Black Mirror for $32 after taxes and free shipping.

Owzers

a few more days of ignoring Comics Gaf until my dcbs shipment arrives and i can read books without getting everything spoiled. Just wanted to pop by and say dark horse is running a 50% off sale on all books if you spend $20 today. :O Gotta browse.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is anything else from the revived Valiant worth reading? Archer & Armstrong Vol 1 was fun. I love the chemistry between the two characters.

Pretty Deadly makes absolutely no sense. The script must've been written in another language, the through Bablefish, then through Ann Noccenti for good measure. So awkward. Someone pay Emma some money so she doesn't have to suffer anymore....

Is anything else from the revived Valiant worth reading? Archer & Armstrong Vol 1 was fun. I love the chemistry between the two characters.
The whole line is pretty good. I have some catching up to do on some of them but I really recommend both Quantum and Woody and Harbinger.

Owzers

reading around the internets, Danger Club #6 is real and coming in the nearish future, Hell Yeah #7 is missing, and Secret #3 is out?

Danger Club #1-5, reread the first two issues, really liked the first issue, not so much the second, and it went a little weirder than expected. Overall a lot of fun though, I'm sticking with it when it returns.

Hell Yeah 1-6, fairly good but got a little deflated towards the end

Secret 1-2: I found it a little hard to follow regarding who the characters were, pretty good though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys, I can't decide whether I want to buy these or not. Any opinions good or bad on any of these? (It has to be at least $20 to get free shipping btw)

eykgm5S.png

I know it's a great deal, but none of that is anything that I really want. It's just stuff that seems kinda neat. And I already have quite a bit to read. Buying comics is too addicting...

So yeah, thoughts?

Guys, I can't decide whether I want to buy these or not. Any opinions good or bad on any of these? (It has to be at least $20 to get free shipping btw)

eykgm5S.png

I know it's a great deal, but none of that is anything that I really want. It's just stuff that seems kinda neat. And I already have quite a bit to read. Buying comics is too addicting...

So yeah, thoughts?

I don't think you should buy anything if you already have a lot to read. But easier said than done, I know. I'm the same way.

But I will say that I love Dark Horse Presents and The Walking Dead.

Messi

Pretty Deadly makes absolutely no sense. The script must've been written in another language, the through Bablefish, then through Ann Noccenti for good measure. So awkward. Someone pay Emma some money so she doesn't have to suffer anymore....

I'm sticking with it for the art for them moment but I want you to know I agree with all of this.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't think you should buy anything if you already have a lot to read. But easier said than done, I know. I'm the same way.

But I will say that I love Dark Horse Presents and The Walking Dead.

Thanks for the advice. I was already leaning towards passing, so I think I will. I'll probably check out Dark Horse Presents sometime though. I'm not so sure TWD is for me though. Never really been a fan of zombie stuff and I also prefer shorter runs. It's just so hard to pass on 48 issues for $12. :p

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to check out that TWD deal, here it is: https://www.tfaw.com/Promos/Nick-An...pendium-TPB-Vol.-1---Nick-|and|-Dent___375411
You get free shipping on orders over $20 with the coupon "NEWS" too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just can't bring myself to order these last two volumes of Batman Incorporated, not since Burnham dropped the hint that there'd be a deluxe edition and he would replace some of the fill-in pages that cropped up due to deadlines.

If anyone missed this like I did, coupon code CMONDAY25 will give you 25% off the most expensive item. Coupon code and B2G1 ends today. I got All-Star Superman, Infinite Crisis and Batman: Black Mirror for $32 after taxes and free shipping.

The B2G1 deal is good through January 2nd.

I'm sticking with it for the art for them moment but I want you to know I agree with all of this.
Yeah the art is oh so incredible and the paper feels so good. But what the fuck is going on in this stoey? Who are these people? What do they want? Why does none of this mistake? Why is Bunny so philosophical? I had to stop reading the words a few pages in.....it hurt so bad. Kelly Sue needs a date with a DC editor ASAP. She better have not been ghostwriting Inhuman.

Pretty Deadly breaks my heart a little bit. It has so many pieces that lure me.. Intriguing characters and events. But I just don't fucking understand how any of it fits together. I feel like a five year old reading it where I want to ask "WHY?" after every page.

But.. But.. It does manage to make me WANT to understand it. It's like a drug. Just one more issue. Just one more and everything will be ok and the world will make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom