• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just can't bring myself to order these last two volumes of Batman Incorporated, not since Burnham dropped the hint that there'd be a deluxe edition and he would replace some of the fill-in pages that cropped up due to deadlines.

I'm on the exact same page. I absolutely loved the New 52 volume of Batman Inc and I'd be happy to throw money at the hardcovers, but I'd be even happier to throw money at a deluxe edition. I'm so looking forward to it.

While I'm on the subject, did Chris Burnham do interiors for any other series that's worth reading? He's probably my favorite artist. I really hope he gets put on something else soon (if he isn't already and I just didn't know it).

Owzers

Age of Ultron #9 went up on MU....it is bad and i feel bad.

Daredevil: End of Days #8 went up as well, the final issue, now i can read 2-8 in MU peace.

IrishNinja

^nah man i love westerns!

catching up on New Avengers....

1) this is about the worst goddamn iron man armor in forever, i dont know how it keeps getting worse. this sun armor is a 90s reject
2) do you guys ever wonder how it is when Bendis reads this stuff and gets mopey cause he can't do team/cosmic stuff nearly on Hickman's level? i mean specifically these characters, his own Guardians is enjoyable, but even his big events are way more forgettable

tim1138

Very nice. Anything on the back?

Don't think so, no. There was also a great Mr Miracle one listed as well.

STK423651.jpg

Bii

I just can't bring myself to order these last two volumes of Batman Incorporated, not since Burnham dropped the hint that there'd be a deluxe edition and he would replace some of the fill-in pages that cropped up due to deadlines.

The B2G1 deal is good through January 2nd.

Oh man, I completely misread the end date. Looks like I'll knock out a bunch of graphic novels that have been on my wish list.

Hopefully its a step up to Aaron or even better (WATXM)

edit: According to Latour, the new Wolverine & The X-Men series will focus on three students – Quentin Quire, Evan Sabahnur and Idie Okonkwo
edit: “But now Logan is mortal and for the first time he’s being forced to take stock of what he’s built,” the writer explains.

he never got back his healing factor? oh wow

Hopefully its a step up to Aaron or even better (WATXM)

edit: According to Latour, the new Wolverine & The X-Men series will focus on three students – Quentin Quire, Evan Sabahnur and Idie Okonkwo
edit: “But now Logan is mortal and for the first time he’s being forced to take stock of what he’s built,” the writer explains.

he never got back his healing factor? oh wow

I'll continue to read WatXM with a focus on Quire, Evan, and Idie. They're the most interesting students in the existing run anyways.

Great. Now who is the team on Inhuman?

Not you.

studyguy

I don't really know too much about comics, but have read a small few. It always seems so daunting to just jump into a story. I listen to some comic podcasts simply to listen to the conversations and from that standpoint it sounds cool. A guy looking in through the glass from the outside. Then they get down to the nitty gritty and there are a million references that go way over my head.

Heroes I've never heard of and storylines I'll probably never follow.
Moreover, I have no idea what kind of story/hero I'd like to read about. Some of them sound sort of cheesy, but then again I'm going in new.

I don't really know too much about comics, but have read a small few. It always seems so daunting to just jump into a story. I listen to some comic podcasts simply to listen to the conversations and from that standpoint it sounds cool. A guy looking in through the glass from the outside. Then they get down to the nitty gritty and there are a million references that go way over my head.

Moreover, I have no idea what kind of story/hero I'd like to read about. Some of them sound sort of cheesy, but then again I'm going in new.

Well, stick around these monthly comics threads. We're always talking about series we like and don't and why. We share with each other news about new series (as you can see above). Eventually you'll notice which characters and genres tend to interest you most.

Reading articles and previews on comic websites can be helpful, too. Just be wary of their reviews as certain sites tend to review more kindly the publishers that give them exclusives.

The library can be a great starting point. Borrow some graphic novels that catch our eye and see what you reckon.

arkon

It's easier than it's ever been to get into this stuff. Wikis, forums, twitter, etc. Loads of avenues to find this information. I'd question whether you even really need to know some of the references to enjoy current stories

studyguy

Well, stick around these monthly comics threads. We're always talking about series we like and don't and why. We share with each other news about new series (as you can see above). Eventually you'll notice which characters and genres tend to interest you most.

Reading articles and previews on comic websites can be helpful, too. Just be wary of their reviews as certain sites tend to review more kindly the publishers that give them exclusives.

The library can be a great starting point. Borrow some graphic novels that catch our eye and see what you reckon.

Curious on how easy it would be to just follow comics strictly in a digital sense. I unfortunately don't have much room at my place for extra stuff if I really get into it. I hear there's some services, but I have no idea if they're worth it.

Curious on how easy it would be to just follow comics strictly in a digital sense. I unfortunately don't have much room at my place for extra stuff if I really get into it. I hear there's some services, but I have no idea if they're worth it.

Comixology is the way to go. Super reading experience and no clutter.

I know that DC is notoriously bad about collecting their runs in a timely manner. Is it even worse for Vertigo runs? And are Vertigo omnis even worse still? I would imagine that depends in part on the popularity of the series.

I really want a complete collection of Scalped and Sweet Tooth but I'd like it given omni/oversized/deluxe/HC/the works sort of treatment. Will I be waiting forever?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know that DC is notoriously bad about collecting their runs in a timely manner. Is it even worse for Vertigo runs? And are Vertigo omnis even worse still? I would imagine that depends in part on the popularity of the series.

I really want a complete collection of Scalped and Sweet Tooth but I'd like it given omni/oversized/deluxe/HC/the works sort of treatment. Will I be waiting forever?

If it ain't Gaiman or Morrison, you'll be hard-pressed to find a Vertigo Omnibus. It's absurd, because Sandman is being reprinted in, like, its third different omnibus version or something and stuff like Scalped, Lucifer, and a bunch of other incredible series aren't getting the giant, massive, absurd omnibus treatment they deserve.

Invisibles and DMZ have been announced for the 100 Bullets/Y treatment. Scalped has not. I am very torn right now.

arkon

Waiting forever unfortunately.

tim1138

As big as Lemire has gotten for DC, I'd be surprised if Sweet Tooth doesn't get the deluxe hardcover treatment.

studyguy

If you are a Marvel guy they offer Marvel Unlimited which is an annual subscription package. Reviews seem to be pretty positive as long as you don't want/need the most up to date releases. Been debating signing up myself, currently waiting for a holiday promo.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

I honestly couldn't tell you one group of heroes from another group when it comes to publisher properties. Anyway thanks for all the info guys.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I wouldn't expect them soon. Maybe 2015 at the earliest? It seems like their reprint/repackage lineup is already pretty full. There is certainly no sign of anything new for Scalped and Sweet Tooth for the first 8 months of 2014.

So I think Al Ewing is one of the best writers no one is talking about currently at Marvel, and to prove it here's one panel, out of context, from Iron Man: Fatal Frontier #9

Yeah, I heard quite a bit about Ewing on the comic podcasts I listen to that feature British hosts. Ewing's first notable works appeared in 2000 AD, including Zombo which is reportedly hilarious and awesome.

Deprive

^nah man i love westerns!

catching up on New Avengers....

1) this is about the worst goddamn iron man armor in forever, i dont know how it keeps getting worse. this sun armor is a 90s reject

Yeah it is a major step back design wise :\

Also when did Robocop join up with Magneto.

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before so apologies if it seems familiar but does anyone have any solid comic book related podcasts to recommend? Currently listen to War Rocket Ajax and would like another one or two comic book focused casts to add to my commute rotation.

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before so apologies if it seems familiar but does anyone have any solid comic book related podcasts to recommend? Currently listen to War Rocket Ajax and would like another one or two comic book focused casts to add to my commute rotation.

Thanks,

My favourites are Silence! and Inkstuds. I also like Comic Geek Speak and The Comics Alternative. 11 O' clock Comics is great if you can tolerate Vince B (I can't).

NoTacos

Damn I need to head over to the local shop soon. Haven't been in a month so that's 2 superior spider man, 1 flash, 1 Damian, and a batman waiting for me next Wednesday. Haven't even started on the second volume of court of owls either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom