• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k14 grants technical fouls for language via PS Eye/Kinect 2.0

TCKaos

So, I remember we had a thread about a person possibly being banned for cursing over Skype, but I just saw this posted on Facebook. Does anyone know if this is true? Can anyone confirm?

Video here.

wyAligr.png

EDIT: Thanks for the mod edit for clarity. I didn't know this happened on both systems.

Yup, saw it while someone was streaming the game on Twitch. The guy yelled the F word and he got a foul (though he was using the PS camera on PS4).

It's funny the first few times, but I'm guessing it gets annoying later. I'd turn it off.

BadRNG

It's true, the PS4 does it too if you have mic or camera.

Not really a big deal, you can disable it in options I think.

daman824

PS4 headset does it as well.
I haven't tried the headset. I just know the camera only caught one out of at least ten tries.

It was actually really funny because it happened on accident when my friend lightheartedly said "bad call ref" after goaltending. After realizing the camera could do that, we started to yell things like "what the fuck ref?", "you're a shit ref" ect. after every foul to get it to happen again. but it only happened that one time.

I'm surprised that it calls a technical when I'm in a party chat. I figured the PS4 party system wouldn't allow the game to have access to your conversations.

Bsigg12

Its just a part of the game. Its also in FIFA, getting penalties/fouls for arguing and cursing, but you can shut it off.

ultron87

That is great.

I always appreciate when games integrate your voice chat into the game. Like when Manhunt or (I think) one of the Splinter Cell co-ops let enemies hear you talking.

Though obviously it should be optional. But defaulting it to On is fine with me.

Damaniel

Banned
This is amusing as fuck.

<<You have been fined one credit for violation of the verbal morality code.>>

I think this is actually pretty funny. As long as there's a way to turn it off, I don't see any problem with this (or the FIFA equivalent).

Confirmed. Happened to me playing on my Xbone. I screamed a vulgarity in reference to a personal foul that was called on me while playing against the computer and the game hit me with a technical. Thinking back I should have "Xbox Record"-ed it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Had a couple friends over the day the PS4 came out and we got so many technicals. Sometimes 3-4 in a quarter (PS4 Camera here). Funny thing was that it would T us up when we weren't cussing. And then when we did cuss frequently and clearly to try to trigger it nothing happened. I've unplugged my camera because of the mic issue for now anyway.

The Cowboy

I actually think this is pretty neat in a sports game that has the actual rule in it, I'm guessing you get the same result if you swear in an actual real game of basketball?..

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Old not only within a NBA 2k14 context but also in general. Last year they wanted to put it into FIFA 13 but fans had a serious bitch fit about it. I think it's in there in some muted form like the announcer comments on your rage.

EDIT: Apparently they did step it up in FIFA 14 into something much worse. Why?

Can you imagine cod or battlefield with something like this?? It would be hilarious

seriously we all get upset at games but as a parent id support this being an option for my kids machines as I dont want them to end up like the trash talking "I fucked your mum" kiddies you see today

NoTacos

I'm pretty sure on ps4 it can give you the technical through your headset mic as well. I've gotten about 3 or 4 techs that way and I don't own a PS camera.

Top Bottom