• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Unison
(12-02-2013, 09:28 AM)
Hijack update:

Originally Posted by Lazaro

This is from the Double Helix forums in the Killer Intsinct Bug Reporting Thread.

MULTIPLAYER DESYNCHRONIZATION:
User States: It seems like players in an exhibition match will desynchronize after a certain amount of rematches. The opposing player from either side will appear to not do anything and once the round is finished the lobby will close.
User States: Desynch is causing both players to see a victory screen from they're perspective. Thus, giving the illusion to a player that he won the match.

In short, nothing to see here, beyond an infrequent occurrence of a match disconnect. Put down the torches and go home, people.

Original OP below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkMw3G18C4E

What the heck....

The game apparently deysncs and puts you against AI at times, which is why the netcode seems so smooth.

What a joke this is.

Have other games done this or is this a new low?

Better bring in the fight-atars.
Last edited by m0dus; 12-02-2013 at 12:59 PM.
ILoveBish
(12-02-2013, 09:29 AM)
Why is this bad? Everybody wins on their end, seems like a good thing?
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(12-02-2013, 09:31 AM)
Holy shit, potentially insane thread

The repercussions of this.

HOLY FUCK lol.

in the cloud ... everybody wins.

The cloud is DREAM

Originally Posted by ILoveBish

Why is this bad? Everybody wins on their end, seems like a good thing?

Pandoras box has been opened. This is some breaking news sort of shit man
Last edited by Slayer-33; 12-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Tain
(12-02-2013, 09:33 AM)
Hooooly shit if true
vulva
(12-02-2013, 09:34 AM)
The craziest part is how you can see it resync at times mid match, then desync. At times you can see the characters doing the same moves in different screen positions.
Passive Assassin
in the cloud ... everybody wins.
NeoGash
OMG, this is M. Night Shyamalan levels of crazy. WHAT A TWIST!!! I'm grabbing the popcorn.

thisgunbegood.gif

Haha. I love how the guy is getting so happy, but basically the whole time he was beating a bot....hahaha. OMG this is too good. This is like two alternate realities colliding, this is the Twilight Zone!

Killer Instinct still looks awesome, but I don't think I want to play it now. Imagine getting a rage message from a guy with him saying how he whipped your ass, even though on your side you beat him? So good.
Last edited by NeoGash; 12-02-2013 at 09:40 AM.
JBourne
Wow. That's bizarre. I wonder how common it is.
Mystery
How the fuck...

This 100% defeats the purpose of playing multiplayer online.
mocoworm
ignore my opinion
on everything ever
(12-02-2013, 09:35 AM)
WTF
Ken
welp, back to asw
plainr_
Clickbait title. I was expecting Justin Timberlake in Orchid's clothes.
tehPete
(12-02-2013, 09:36 AM)
This is a game-breaker no matter which way you slice it. Nice to see the videos side by side; are there any known instances of this occurring in any other online beat-em-up?
Kyon
Banned
Help

Me

Twinduct
Waaat? This is really crazy
Alfredo
(12-02-2013, 09:37 AM)
Doesn't look like it actually puts you against an AI (which would be insane if true) because the inputs look the same, but that is definitely a desync issue that doesn't make it very clear to either player...
Voltron64
(12-02-2013, 09:37 AM)
wat
BlackBuzzard
(12-02-2013, 09:38 AM)
Wait what!
tamaster92
Man if this is a common occurrence...

Bye bye any chances of KI being a good fighting game
kazebyaka
Banned
I don't want to play KI anymore, what a joke.
Frostinferno
Well this is certainly interesting. Can't wait to hear the official response/reasoning.
maquiladora
(12-02-2013, 09:39 AM)
what the fuck......
NameGenerated
That's crazy, there were like 3 instances where it synced back up but the health is so different in each fight.
Auto-Reply
This has the potential to kill it's online aspect, doesn't it?
nbnt
is responsible for the well-being of this island.
(12-02-2013, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by vulva

The craziest part is how you can see it resync at times mid match, then desync. At times you can see the characters doing the same moves in different screen positions.

Just noticed that, holy shit. This is amazing, lol.
ZeroX03
But guys, the netcode in Killer Instinct is so good.
danmaku
I can't watch the video from work, but can't this be just an effect of the rollback? If the game is lagging badly, it's normal to see characters teleporting or repeating moves, as the netcode tries to keep the sync.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(12-02-2013, 09:41 AM)

Originally Posted by danmaku

I can't watch the video from work, but can't this be just an effect of the rollback? If the game is lagging badly, it's normal to see characters teleporting or repeating moves, as the netcode tries to keep the sync.

The matches became different matches lol. Only approximation to an extent, a match to who beats who first it seems.
Miles Quaritch
lemme stick dat Red Ring
(12-02-2013, 09:42 AM)
Damn. That's going to kill KI online if it's true.

Needs more testing though...
Hypron

No the characters don't teleport, they just carry on fighting but what's happening on screen is completely different. It almost looks like one of the characters is replaced by an AI or something until the game can re-sync. Really weird.
Mystery

It's not teleporting characters. The game goes in two totally different directions for each player. Hits get registered differently, and one player is winning on his screen, and the other is winning on his respective screen.

It's unacceptable, especially in a fighting game.
Unison

Originally Posted by Slayer-33

The matches became different matches lol. Only approximation to an extent, a match to who beats who first it seems.

This... they arent even playing against each other past a point... the life bars arent even synced... the match just stops for one player when the other player's game has a lifebar hit zero.
GoodMorningPluto
OMG. I can imagine the wrath of FGC on this =/
Leezard
It's Just the
Sweet Scent of Butane
(12-02-2013, 09:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Mystery

It's not teleporting characters. The game goes in two totally different directions for each player. Hits get registered differently, and one player is winning on his screen, and the other is winning on his respective screen.

It's unacceptable, especially in a fighting game.

Everybody wins! A new type of fighting game for a new generation.
Toxi
Banned
(12-02-2013, 09:45 AM)
Fucking awful if true. Double Helix should be ashamed of themselves for A) not informing the consumer, and B) tarnishing the good name of GGPO.
polyh3dron
Banned
(12-02-2013, 09:45 AM)
Infinite power.
The Xtortionist
(12-02-2013, 09:46 AM)
I wonder what the odds of this actually happening are.
sofiabudapest
(12-02-2013, 09:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Unison

... the life bars arent even synced... the match just stops for one player when the other player's game has a lifebar hit zero.

yeah, and at this point the video makes no sense. What happens with the upper player? The game just stops? Or maybe he wins anyway? How does it work?

Anyway, the video seems legit. This is crazy.
MrCookiepants
(12-02-2013, 09:47 AM)
So that's the same match between the same people, yet it plays out completely differently on each side?

Wow, lol. That is hilarious.
shidoshi
GameFan alumnus
ganguro preacher
(12-02-2013, 09:48 AM)
This is... I mean, I've watched it once, but my brain is having trouble wrapping itself around what is going on. If this is totally legit, that's not just a few errors in syncing up, that's game-breaking stuff going on.

If you can't have any faith in what is going on on the other person's screen in the exact same fight, how can you play this to any serious level?
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
Banned
As a casual fighting game player, this is actually a good thing. Keeps the flow of matches going and allows you to keep practising. Nothing is more annoying than looking at disconnect screen.

This kills it as a competitive fighter though.
Goodacre0081
this reminds me of one of those gradeschool sports days where everyone gets a ribbon.
sonicmj1
(12-02-2013, 09:49 AM)

It's more like, there's a desync somewhere, and the game never bothers to match things up. All the player's inputs register on their screen, and there's no apparent lag, but their opponents moves are coming out in inappropriate situations because they're responding to a completely different game-state.
vulva
best approximation I can do for those who can't watch the video

edit: I guess dropbox didn't like the bandwidth
Last edited by vulva; 12-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Ken

Originally Posted by sonicmj1

It's more like, there's a desync somewhere, and the game never bothers to match things up. All the player's inputs register on their screen, and there's no apparent lag, but their opponents moves are coming out in inappropriate situations because they're responding to a completely different game-state.

Watching the video that kinda looks like it.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(12-02-2013, 09:50 AM)

Originally Posted by sonicmj1

Fuck

lol
Sinfamy
Banned
WHAT? You get placed against the A.I. sometimes? How are people not lighting their torches right now?
hawk2025
How is this... What?

Isn't the game running on dedicated servers?
bLaiSe

Originally Posted by Sinfamy

WHAT? You get placed against the A.I. sometimes? How are people not lighting their torches right now?

They will if this is true.
Nymerio
(12-02-2013, 09:51 AM)
Man, I remember when I was playing Excitebike as a kid and I couldn't understand that my NES was controlling the other bikes. I always thought all the other racers where other people around to world who were playing the game. This is the exact opposite, you think you're playing multiplayer but you're actually playing against the AI. Next level gaming.