• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Fuu
Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(12-02-2013, 04:47 PM)
Yep, another PS4 Brazil thread. Follow-up to this one.

I used the 1850 USD price tag for the title because that’s the amount we’ve been rolling with in these threads. R$ 4.000 in today’s conversion would be slightly lower.

Translation by me:

http://gamehall.uol.com.br/v10/conhe...gar-4k-no-ps4/

Meet Lord Eternal, the Brazilian willing to pay $ 1850 for a PS4

The PlayStation 4 was officially released in Brazil this Friday (29), timidly and with no fanfare, unlike what happened with its rival the Xbox One, which had a series of events throughout Brazil - the main one at store Fnac in Săo Paulo, where the first buyer waited in line for 4 hours. But this was not a problem for Paulo de Campos (also known as Lord Eternal), who works with 3D modeling and lives in Salvador, Bahia. He bought the coveted console at the Sony Style store, located in Salvador Shopping, at 10 am, without having to deal with lines or anything. In fact, according to Paulo,”it was like the store stopped to treat me."

When the bitter price of R$ 4.000,00 was announced millions of Brazilians were outraged, and several boycott campaigns were organized. It’s an absurd price for a console, one that few can afford to pay. But these Uncle Scrooges do exist and we interviewed one of them; single, 34 years old with no kids (the console is for himself), and who probably was the first Brazilian to buy the local version of the console. Check out our interview below:

GH - Paulo, where did you buy your PS4 and how did you pay?

I bought it in Brazil, at the Sony Style store in the mall here in Salvador. I paid in full.

GH - And why buy here, paying R$ 4.000,00, if it can be bought by other means at a lower price?

Primarily because of the full warranty, and secondly because it’s more accessible to me. I only had to go to the mall to fetch it.

GH - So you didn’t think R$ 4.000,00 was expensive?

No, I'm used to video games being expensive. I’ve been a gamer for 30 years, after all this time I am used to the prices. U​nfortunately, in Brazil it has never been easy to buy games or consoles, the prices are always excessive.

GH - Were any of your acquaintances surprised that you paid this amount? How did people react?

All my friends are shocked, but I told them beforehand that I was going to buy it in Brazil.

GH - Were you the only one in your group to buy it here?

So far, yes.

GH - Why the PS4 and not the Xbox One?

Good question. I chose for the PS4 because last year I bought the PS Vita and PS3. Then I put my Xbox 360 away and I’ve been playing Sony ever since. So now I went for the PS4.

GH - Any chance to get the Xbox One in the future? Or will it be just the PS4?

Sure, I'm fanatic for Halo, and I really like the Xbox platform. I have over 100 original Xbox games on the shelf and a good amount of digital games as well.

GH - What are your thoughts so far about the Brazilian PS4? Is it all in Portuguese? Did you buy games, the camera?

Due to the PSN servers being overloaded I couldn’t play yet. I found no physical games, and I could’t download the ones I had already bought on PSN either. I didn’t buy the camera because it wasn’t available in any store.

GH - What would you say to the people who will criticize you for spending R$ 4.000,00 on a console?

That’s a good question. I’d say that it’s a free world, we are in a free and capitalist country. Everyone is free to buy whatever they want. If it’s on the shelf of a store, it’s for the public to purchase. It’s no big deal.

GH - Tell us a little about your game life, which consoles you played, favorite games, and if you have a favorite console.

The consoles I owned were the Atari, Master System, Nes, Super Nes, N64, GameCube, Wii, DS, DSi, DSi XL, I have the PS Vita, 360, PS3, PS4, and I also had the GBA. I have no preferred console, I like all of the ones I currently own and I miss the ones that I don’t have anymore. On games, I like RPG, FPS, adventure, action, etc, any that isn’t horror, or sports, as I find those boring. One of my favorite games is Skylanders. I've been following it since the launch of the first one, I have many of the action figures, I really like this game. And on the PS4 I'll be able to play the Swap Force version using remote play with the PS Vita, I'm looking forward to that.
Last edited by Fuu; 12-02-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Ocelott
(12-02-2013, 04:49 PM)
I hope he doesn't become a target
Stone Ocean
(12-02-2013, 04:49 PM)
This guy is basically a real life Francis, he's kind of uhh "famous" around BR message boards.
Acquiescence
(12-02-2013, 04:50 PM)
That's not how I pictured someone called Lord Eternal to look like.
DMPrince
Sony Brazil - 1
MadmanUK

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

He looks about 12.
Kiraly
He looks 15, not 30.
Alric
(12-02-2013, 04:51 PM)

I don't know. Someone referring to themselves as "Lord Eternal" in my mind would look very much like this.

Basically it's Pat.
default two
Good for Paulo, I suppose.
McDougles
Some people really go out of their hue to purchase these 8th gen consoles.
otapnam

Originally Posted by MadmanUK

He looks about 12.

But he's been gaming for 30 years.

Eternal indeed
Stone Ocean
(12-02-2013, 04:52 PM)

I believe this is what you're looking for.
PandaPedinte
(12-02-2013, 04:52 PM)
Great Lord Eternal!
2San
(12-02-2013, 04:53 PM)
Seems like a decent guy. His motivation for buying in Brazil is good enough as well.
LuuKyK
Oh God, not this guy again. We were discussing about him on BrasilGAF. lmao

I just discovered he is "famous" here for the worst reasons ever. Like thinking Entei is an entity that protects him in real life or something. He became a joke everywhere basically.
Norante

Originally Posted by Stone Ocean

This guy is basically a real life Francis, he's kind of uhh "famous" around BR message boards.

Best not to draw attention to this gentleman.
dragonbane
(12-02-2013, 04:54 PM)
He is 34!? How!?
Tinfoilhatsron
(12-02-2013, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by LuuKyK

I just discovered he is "famous" here for the worst reasons ever. Like thinking Entei is an entity that protects him in real life or something. He became a joke everywhere basically.

What?
2San
(12-02-2013, 04:55 PM)

I'm kinda curious what the reasons are.
maouvin
(12-02-2013, 04:56 PM)

When he looks how you pictured him, he'll be almost 200 yo, on his way to eternity.
dragonbane
(12-02-2013, 04:56 PM)

Seems like he played too much Beyond: Two Souls lol
Mistah
(12-02-2013, 04:57 PM)
Nvm was wrong.

Anyway still crazy to buy 4 times more the price then the rest of the world :/
Last edited by Mistah; 12-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.
maouvin
(12-02-2013, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by 2San

Ok BrazilGAF, who will translate the whole Entei thing?

edit: 7 posts from now, there it is! Still gold when translated.
Last edited by maouvin; 12-02-2013 at 05:04 PM.
felipepl
(12-02-2013, 04:58 PM)
He's a nice guy, I've been posting in his thread at UOL Jogos where he described pretty much the whole initial feeling for the system.

I guess that general people just don't understand that if he's happy with the purchase, there's nothing else left to say.
Frodo
(12-02-2013, 04:59 PM)

Wait, are you saying that that guy is the one responsible for this?

EDIT: OMG! HE IS! I've just noticed this picture as a watermark on the seal! lol
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
Banned
You know. My bundled controller didnt work and I had to buy a new one. I was cursing every Sony employee that has ever existed just because I had to pay an extra Ł55 quid.

Reading this makes me realise how spoiled I am.
Ilúvatar

Originally Posted by Ocelott

I hope he doesn't become a target

Too late. Props to him though.

Originally Posted by dragonbane

He is 34!? How!?

Before I read I thought he was like... fifteen.
Brickhunt
(12-02-2013, 05:00 PM)
Praise the great Lord Eternal. I remember when they put him into a teen magazine contest for most beautiful male teen. He stayed for several weeks at the 1st until he was disqualified for being in his 30s.

Great guy, praise Entei
Stone Ocean
(12-02-2013, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by 2San

It's basically this dream he had after playing Pokémon Silver where he walked through a desolated place and then met Entei, his favourite Pokémon, who talked to him and said "everything was gonna be ok".

We still use Entei emotes as "everything will be ok now" lol

Originally Posted by Norante

Best not to draw attention to this gentleman.

I don't mean that to mock him. I don't think he was ever serious anyways, people playing characters in BR message boards aren't uncommon.
Last edited by Stone Ocean; 12-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.
LuuKyK
(12-02-2013, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Tinfoilhatsron

What?

He posted this in a brazilian board:

Meaning: "Entei Seal of Safety" - "Everything is fine now" :lol

"I had a nightmare. I was in a dark place, like a cave, it was dark, I was alone, I walked a lot till I saw an exit, there was a canyon out there, I kept walking, then suddenly I saw Entei in front of me, wow, I sighed in relief, I even spoke with him, "Entei are you really here?" and he said "Everything is fine now".

At that time I was 23 yo, but I always had that pokemon as a protector, when I am having problems, I always think "I will be strong like Entei".

5amshift
I would've shipped him one if he had paid for it..
Hag
R$ 4.000 lol

It's good to have money, holy shit
dragonbane
(12-02-2013, 05:03 PM)

OMG haha.
sixteen-bit
(12-02-2013, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Kiraly

He looks 15, not 30.

Perhaps wealth will keep you young forever
TheMan
Careless With His Member
But not with what comes out of it!
(12-02-2013, 05:04 PM)
tl;dr- he's rich as fuck and just wanted to get a hold a ps4 quickly and conveniently. in brazil this just happens to mean going to the store and picking one up.
PandaPedinte
(12-02-2013, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Brickhunt

Praise the great Lord Eternal. I remember when they put him into a teen magazine contest for most beautiful male teen. He stayed for several weeks at the 1st until he was disqualified for being in his 30s.

Great guy, praise Entei

Lol I remember it
King Boo
(12-02-2013, 05:10 PM)
30 years? he looks much younger than that
Fuu
Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(12-02-2013, 05:11 PM)

Great guy, praise Entei

Holy shit, I remember this. Capricho iirc. Had no idea that was him.
Last edited by Fuu; 12-02-2013 at 05:13 PM.
LuuKyK
(12-02-2013, 05:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Fuu

Holy shit, I remember this. Capricho iirc. Had no idea that was him.

Colírio Capricho? HAHAHAA Are you kidding me? I did not know that. I remember it happened, but I never associated it with him. Wow...
Sammy Samusu
I should post less pop-gaf speak spam. It's bad for my health.
(12-02-2013, 05:13 PM)
Depois que ele passou o cartăo, o Entei apareceu e disse "tá tudo bem agora."
Ponn01
(12-02-2013, 05:15 PM)

On the contrary, thats exactly how I pictured someone with the handle Lord Eternal to look like.
Ainnem
(12-02-2013, 05:16 PM)
BRBRHUEHUEHUE GIBE QUOTAS PLOX

He is just a nice guy who enjoys spending all his money on nerdiness stuffs, not raising a family nor being a vagina slave. He is to be worshiped.
2San
(12-02-2013, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Stone Ocean

It's basically this dream he had after playing Pokémon Silver where he walked through a desolated place and then met Entei, his favourite Pokémon, who talked to him and said "everything was gonna be ok".

We still use Entei emotes as "everything will be ok now" lol

I don't mean that to mock him. I don't think he was ever serious anyways, people playing characters in BR message boards aren't uncommon.

Meaning: "Entei Seal of Safety" - "Everything is fine now" :lol

This is pretty hilarious though.
maouvin
(12-02-2013, 05:23 PM)

Some fellow brazilian reported his age after Lord Eternal denied his money pleas, I presume?

Originally Posted by Ainnem

He is just a nice guy who enjoys spending all his money on nerdiness stuffs, not raising a family nor being a vagina slave. He is to be worshiped.

And as soon as he changes, he'll get a beard, wrinkles and lose some hair. He knows his shit.
Gareth Bale
(12-02-2013, 05:24 PM)
"Due to the PSN servers being overloaded I couldn’t play yet. I found no physical games, and I could’t download the ones I had already bought on PSN either."

$1850 and he couldn't even play his games... that's pretty shit.
NEOPARADIGM
(12-02-2013, 05:25 PM)
lol the look on his face just screams "yeah, it's bullshit."
Dolobill
(12-02-2013, 05:32 PM)
So what you're telling us is, that's not a woman in the OP?
WoodenLung
(12-02-2013, 05:33 PM)
Was surprised to see him say he had been gaming for 30 years, dude looked in his mid teens.
The Omega Man
(12-02-2013, 05:35 PM)
He just bought a PS4 for the price of 4 PS4s, he is not even sorry
Rm88~
(12-02-2013, 05:36 PM)
This is nuts. I'm going to say no console ever made is worth that much money.