• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Updates Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Review Score: 7.5 -> 4

Interfectum

After a brief period of reliability in the day or so before Thanksgiving in the US, Battlefield 4 has again succumbed to repeated and consistent issues on every platform. PC players are reporting crashes, while Xbox One and PS4 players are once again suffering from crashes to the homescreen of their respective platforms, as well as general matchmaking problems for the Conquest game type. More than a month after its initial release, Battlefield 4 is still barely playable for many players, and EA and DICE can't seem to fix the problem (though EA has informed us a new patch is going live on PC tomorrow, delaying our appraisal of that platform for at least a day or two). As such, it's difficult for us to recommend a game that otherwise may be the strongest multiplayer shooter of the year.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5040656/battlefield-4-review

Discuss.

Good on them to keep their reviews updated. I don't own the game, but I approve of this. A lot of gamers will buy the game for the multiplayer instead of the single player, and this will keep them in the know.

I just hope they update the review again when (if?) the issues are fixed.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ah, ok. So the game has been constantly improved from where it was at launch and they decide it should now be scored lower?

This should have gone the other way around.

'Barely playable' is an exaggeration of the current state of things as well.

Personally think it's fair to reflect the 'state of the game', especially considering it's a Multiplayer game at heart. A month after release and problems still happening should warrant a full refund as far as I'm concerned, but that's a topic for another thread.

Appleman

Don't really like their selective revisioning of scores and I wish they were more clear about when this happens. They gave the XBO Ghosts 0.5 higher pre day 1 PS4 patch, I'm just wondering where they draw the line on this... I guess the score will go back up if DICE/EA fixes the BF4 issues?

Ah, ok. So the game has been constantly improved from where it was at launch and they decide it should now be scored lower?

This should have gone the other way around.

Has it? I was able to put more playtime in during the beta than I have since the full game has been released; it's almost constantly unplayable.

Personally, I think the updated review scores is the best thing Polygon does, and I'd like to see other outlets adopt something similar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity have they ever changed a review score due to new content?

I'm just contemplating things like Dota 2, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, or anything else that gets really frequent updates, which is what I thought this would be most interesting for, but so far it seems to be about changing scores due to bugs.

Now, that's completely valid, but I feel there's a bit of missing potential here.

Thanks for waiting until after plenty of people already bought it. Maybe you shouldn't have issued out that original review score to begin with.

Derrick01

Banned
I can fix their problem. Stop fucking using EA servers in every game. They are garbage in literally every single game EA uses them for. You hear that console makers? Stop bending over and letting EA make their own rules.

That's pretty crazy. I don't know about how the console versions are but PC is a lot better than it was. I played a ton of BF4 this weekend with friends and didn't experience near as many crashes as I did a few weeks ago. So for me at least, it seems like its improving. Hopefully that's the case for others as well!

Seanspeed

Banned
I also wonder, are they actually playing this themselves and considering it? Sounds kind of like they're just going by what they're hearing rather than personal experience.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was just another case of Polygon doing something they know will get them a bit of attention.

blackflag

Polygon are exactly right in this case. EA said they fixed some things on the back end and it worked great for me a couple days prior to Thanksgiving. Now, I crash about every other Conquest game. It's ridiculous. Always seems to happen when I'm doing well too.

Kysen

I crash on PC every other round, its stupid how buggy this game was released. EA don't give a fuck. I doubt they even came close to COD sales this year.

Vooduu

Such as shame because when it worked, I really enjoyed it.

Can't say I'm not pissed that all my campaign progress got lost though.

Dyno

How does DICE fuck up a net code that has gone through multiple iterations and is now playing on simple x86 architecture that is more powerful than ever?

DICE once made must-have shooter software. I cannot believe they're becoming a dev. that should be ignored.

Top Bottom