• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

Paskil

I wish I had a time machine so I could travel back in time to the childhood home of the individual responsible for this art direction so I could shit in their cereal and then force them to eat it. WHY MUST YOU SHIT IN MY CEREAL, SE?

At least Bravely Default comes out soon. There's hope for non-Final Fantasy Final Fantasy yet.

Just read through some of the posts here. I honestly have no idea where all the hate is coming from...

Maybe it's because S-E is releasing this on mobile with shitty touch controls.
Making it's because S-E broke the pattern of developing more extensive remakes on actual game devices beginning with FF1-4.
Maybe it's because this remake looks like it was made by a 3rd rate Korean web game developer in RPG Maker.
Maybe it's because S-E is still going to charge more than other mobile games.
Maybe it's because it's one of S-E best games and they are treating it like another quick cash-grab.
Maybe it's because S-E used to support the GBA, DS, and PSP with great line-ups and now they have abandoned real gamers.
Maybe it's because S-E is a shell of its former self that needs to be taken out back and put out of its misery.
And last but not least, maybe it's because we know that fools like you will probably buy it, thus perpetuating the cycle that is killing gaming.

cafemomo

Just read through some of the posts here. I honestly have no idea where all the hate is coming from...

it would be like taking your favorite game, shoving it through rpg maker with those shitty sprites, and slapping a $20 price tag on it.

The sad part is that it's going to sell well enough that SE will consider it a success.

I would rather even a shitty remake of this game be a success than fail. Failure cannot be associated with this game. One day we will get the remake we deserve. Square cannot think of this legendary game as a failure in any way for that to happen.

jaxword

Nostalgia and rage of a childhood sensation that will never return.

I mean, most people here played FF6 as SNES FF3 on their parents' lousy CRT tv. The graphics argument is silly because it was blocky and distorted 15 years ago. People have 15 years of love and imagination making those little sprites far, far, far more expressive than anything and everything released today.

Basically, S-E could not actually release any version of FF6 today without instantaneous backlash.

This also applies to other games--look at Final Fantasy Tactics. The original version was so badly translated it often said the opposite of what happened. So there's a new version that is far clearer, and yet people STILL will say the original is better, mistakes and all.

That's just how nostalgia works.

Basically, S-E could not actually release any version of FF6 today without instantaneous backlash.

yeah, it's almost as if some of us expected them to make full 3D remakes on 3DS following in the footsteps of Final Fantasy 3 and 4 or something! What a silly thought that was.

IISANDERII

They're a bit small.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/jf14/ff6/

Via Aquamarine:

SdW2eF2.jpg

xHm4vbG.jpg
I was there on day one and I've played through this game many times on different platforms over the decades.
And I don't mind this new look, it's not that different anyway. I'm curious about the music now too.

Paskil

I would rather even a shitty remake of this game be a success than fail. Failure cannot be associated with this game. One day we will get the remake we deserve. Square cannot think of this legendary game as a failure in any way for that to happen.

I'm actually hoping that the next real work they put into a remake is on IX or XII. A real remake of IX...the noises I would make would be embarrassing for most adult men.

KtSlime

Maybe it's because S-E is releasing this on mobile with shitty touch controls.
Making it's because S-E broke the pattern of developing more extensive remakes on actual game devices beginning with FF1-4.
Maybe it's because this remake looks like it was made by a 3rd rate Korean web game developer in RPG Maker.
Maybe it's because S-E is still going to charge more than other mobile games.
Maybe it's because it's one of S-E best games and they are treating it like another quick cash-grab.
Maybe it's because S-E used to support the GBA, DS, and PSP with great line-ups and now they have abandoned real gamers.
Maybe it's because S-E is a shell of its former self that needs to be taken out back and put out of its misery.
And last but not least, maybe it's because we know that fools like you will probably buy it, thus perpetuating the cycle that is killing gaming.
Real gamers play games. This will get played, I look forward to playing it on the go with a platform I always have on me. This is not killing gaming, not wanting to be associated with pretentious closed minded people is more likely to bedoing that.

Aeana

I mean, most people here played FF6 as SNES FF3 on their parents' lousy CRT tv. The graphics argument is silly because it was blocky and distorted 15 years ago. People have 15 years of love and imagination making those little sprites far, far, far more expressive than anything and everything released today.

This also applies to other games--look at Final Fantasy Tactics. The original version was so badly translated it often said the opposite of what happened. So there's a new version that is far clearer, and yet people STILL will say the original is better, mistakes and all.

Yes, the only reason anybody could possibly think this isn't a total upgrade is nostalgia. The concept of different tastes does not exist, and apparently neither does the concept of empathy. Let's use broad strokes and insult everyone who has a differing opinion.

cafemomo

this is more than just muh nostalgia

If Square actually took the time to make it look good on iOS/Android, then I would have no problem with it. But the thing is, the sprites of the characters look hideous. It's laziness that I'm pissed off about here. And I'm pretty sure they will butcher the music as well.

Negator

This is total bullshit. Do you seriously think this is Square-Enix's best effort on a product that deserves nothing less? Nobody is disappointed because it has new graphics, we're disappointed because they are phoning it in. They should not be using shit that looks like RPG Maker on their flagship franchise.

And if the PSP version of Tactics didn't have horrible spell effect lag, it would be without a doubt the definitive version. Just throwing that out there.

epmode

The sad part is that it's going to sell well enough that SE will consider it a success.

Square has perfected the slash and burn method of videogame development. I wonder when they'll run out of IPs to destroy.

Who am I kidding, they'll just keep abusing the same IPs until they go under.

Real gamers play games. This will get played, I look forward to playing it on the go with a platform I always have on me. This is not killing gaming, not wanting to be associated with pretentious closed minded people is more likely to bedoing that.

If having a hatred of phone games makes me pretentious I'll wear that like a badge of fucking honor.

*sigh* It's great that the seams seem to be gone, but the character sprites still have that fugly "HD filter" look that makes them look like they were painted with broad watercolors. I'll need to see more sprites to determine this for sure.

Grief.exe

In my opinion, the soldiers look very good, they updated the sprite without taking anything away from the original models.

The Terra model looks horrible, of course.

xHm4vbG.jpg

ff6_gmotd_cliff--article_image.jpg

Tangsta

Banned

I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and re-evaluate yourself as a gamer, buddy. With remarks like the one above, you're not exactly a real credit to the gaming community at large.

FF13-2 and Lightning Returns are atrocities, this remake actually looks decent and it's pretty much the same great FF6, only with HD sprites, so I'm still not sure why you're so upset about it.

I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and re-evaluate yourself as a gamer, buddy. With remarks like the one above, you're not exactly a real credit to the gaming community at large.

I was there to buy the first Final Fantasy. I was there to buy Final Fantasy 6 and every other game they put out on the SNES.
I was there to buy their PlayStation and PS2 games, and even their rereleases and remakes over the years.
I, along with everyone else who was a fan of these types of games before they became popular, helped to make Squaresoft successful.
We feel betrayed by the moves this company is making, and we have a right to be angry.

Oh, and I own more than 900 video games for consoles ranging from the original NES to today. Believe me when I say I am quite confident in myself as a gamer and don't need to be spoken down to by someone who plays Angry Birds.

But apparently you will talk down to someone who plays FF6 with graphics you don't approve of. Bleh.

It's not just the graphics. Bleh indeed. Every dollar is a vote, and if you vote for trashy cash-grabs like this you deserve to be ridiculed.

Valnen

I own more than 900 video games for consoles ranging from the original NES to today. Believe me when I say I am quite confident in myself as a gamer and don't need to be spoken down to by someone who plays Angry Birds.

But apparently you will talk down to someone who plays FF6 with graphics you don't approve of. Bleh.

cafemomo

I own more than 900 video games for consoles ranging from the original NES to today. Believe me when I say I am quite confident in myself as a gamer and don't need to be spoken down to by someone who plays Angry Birds.

In their defense, you don't have to go as far as calling them fools.

Although it is a bit foolish to buy this version when there are many better options out there.

Valnen

Although it is a bit foolish to buy this version when there are many better options out there.

I'd like to see price comparisons between those versions and this version when it comes out. As far as I know the PSX version is pretty bad and the SNES version isn't exactly cheap. And even if you can get your hands on something like the SNES version god help you if you don't have an SDTV anymore.

Negator

I'd like to see price comparisons between those versions and this version when it comes out. As far as I know the PSX version is pretty bad and the SNES version isn't exactly cheap. And even if you can get your hands on something like the SNES version god help you if you don't have an SDTV anymore.

Virtual Console. $8.

120v

i think it looks fine for what it is. if this were an HD remaster for consoles or Vita then i'd be grousing too. but it's respectable, and i'd probably take this over an FFVI rom, for what it's worth

Top Bottom