• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 World Cup Group Draw |OT| A Global Audience for Ball Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
STREAMS

Here are some live streams, if anyone is interested. Starts at 8AM PST, 11AM EST (US) - Drawings 30-45min into event.

BBC2(Justunblock.com)
BBC2 (UK only, maybe)
Wiziwig Streams
ESPN.go.com
The Guardian
FIFA live blog
Telegraph.co.uk
Brazillian News Sport Link

d2Id2rP.jpg

What? :The event where the 32 teams that qualified for the 2014 football World Cup Finals are drawn into 8 groups of 4 for the group stage of the competition.

Where?: The upmarket coastal resort town of Costa do Sauipe in the province of Bahia, approximately 56 miles from the host city of Salvador.

When?: 1pm local, Friday 6th December 2013 (13:00 UTC/GMT -3 hours)
1am - Japan
3am - Sydney
8am - PST
10am - CST
11am - EST
4pm - Britain (GMT)

Duration: 90 minutes (the actually drawing wont likely take place until 45 minutes after the event starts)

Who?: 32 teams have qualified for the World Cup. They are as followed:
nDCgEEt.jpg

From Asia (AFC): Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea
From Africa (CAF): Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria
From Europe (UEFA): Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, GErmany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland
From North and Central America (CONCACAF): Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, United States
From South America (CONMEBOL): Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay

How does it work?:
The draw is seeded according to recent FIFA World Rankings.
The 32 teams are divided into 4 pots, predominantly based on their geographic location.
Pot 1: Contains the seeded team: The hosts, Brazil, and the 7 highest FIFA ranked qualified teams (Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay and Switzerland)
Pot 2: Unseeded South American teams and the African qualifiers.
Pot 3: Asian, North and Central American teams.
Pot 4: Unseeded European teams.

A total of eight groups will be made up of one team from each pot. FIFA do this to maintain their principle of geographic seperation in the groups. No more than two European countries can be in any one group.

It can't be that simple right. This is FIFA we're talking about
Correct. At the moment Pot 2 only has 7 teams and Pot 4 has 9. Typically, in cases such as this, the lowest rank unseeded European team would be moved from Pot 4 to Pot 2. That team would be France. But due to Platini's influence (conspiracy theory!) an unseeded European team from Pot 4 will be picked at random to move to Pot 2 instead. It remains however that no more than two European teams can be drawn together in a group.

There is also a Pot X. The four South American seeds - Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina - will be put into a temporary Pot 'X'. The three teams not drawn against this relocated European team in Pot 2 will go back into the main draw. This is so that no two South American teams are drawn together.

Breaking down the Pots - Highlight = Avoid Bold = Want
Pot 1: Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland
Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador, (and One Randomly Chosen Team from Pot4).
Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras.
Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France.

_41212076_fan_416.jpg

Lest we forget the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

IceCold

Portugal will be in a group of death again most probably but that's ok. They excel when under pressure.

So what is the US best case scenario?

Switzerland
Algeria
Bosnia-Herzegovina

and OP how is Belgium not an avoid and the US is?

Wes

venison crêpe
No nationality tags this World Cup?

I doubt it. That took WasabiKing and I a hell of a long time to do, and it ended up with more bickering from people complaining they didn't get one than any positives it brought.

Wes

venison crêpe
and OP how is Belgium not an avoid and the US is?

They're all relative to the Pot they are in.

Would you want to have to play anyone in Pot 1? Nope. But you have to so you want to avoid one of the consensus strongest four in Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina.

In Pot 3, Japan are far and away the strongest team. Widespread opinion is that US are the other main team you want to avoid from that pot as they won their qualifying and their general history in the competition. Once again, all relative to the other nations in their pot.

Addi

What? They actually changed the rules for France or did they decide that before they qualified? Definitely thought we were going to be in Pot 2 and end up in the group of death (and lose), now we might have a chance to get a bit further in the competition.

They're all relative to the Pot they are in.

Would you want to have to play anyone in Pot 1? Nope. But you have to so you want to avoid one of the consensus strongest four in Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina.

In Pot 3, Japan are far and away the strongest team. Widespread opinion is that US are the other main team you want to avoid from that pot as they won their qualifying and their general history in the competition. Once again, all relative to the other nations in their pot.

Ok, I can live with that :)

Wilbur

Banned
Switzerland is in the most eight seeded teams in the world? What?

I assume there's been some nice friendlies there.

Please never question the FIFA rankings

They will turn your brains into mushy peas and cockrot

Anyway, England here innit. All my faith is being placed in the owl resembling visage of Roy fucking Hodgson.

Firemind

Japan is a strong team, I agree.

The US team is weaksauce. You only got lucky last WC because you drew England.

Come at me, bros.

IceCold

What? They actually changed the rules for France or did they decide that before they qualified? Definitely thought we were going to be in Pot 2 and end up in the group of death (and lose), now we might have a chance to get a bit further in the competition.

It was announced a couple of days ago.

MrChom

Predicting England to qualify second in the group or go out there, then if they get through fall at the first hurdle and give us 4 more years of people moaning about us not being able to play as a team.

I like football...but my own national team and the expectations put on them by the public just annoy me so intensely at times....Yes, we're rubbish, this should be obvious, but no, some idiots always go "Well we should be beating ___$Name_of_Better_Team___"

Should be:

Switzerland
Algeria
USA
England

AKA

England
Algeria
Switzerland
Yanks
And then watch as we go out in the first round. British tabloid schadenfreude agogo.
They have the greatest trainer of all time. They have some decent players and the highly-talented Shaqiri. They've had very solid results in qualifying and in friendlies.

Oh come off it. Solid results are all well and good, but Switzerland should be nowhere near the top 8 in the world. Half of Pots 2 and 4 should be above them.

Firemind

Predicting England to qualify second in the group or go out there, then if they get through fall at the first hurdle and give us 4 more years of people moaning about us not being able to play as a team.

I like football...but my own national team and the expectations put on them by the public just annoy me so intensely at times....Yes, we're rubbish, this should be obvious, but no, some idiots always go "Well we should be beating ___$Name_of_Better_Team___"

It's to be expected. The Brits invented football after all. '66 never forget

Juicy Bob

Supporting my second nation Australia next summer because I find this entire England team totally unlikeable.

And the Socceroos will probably have a better chance of succeeding.

Wilbur

Banned
Actually I kind of hope England get a tough group. That way we can just defend and be noble in defeat as opposed to being under the illusion our attacking threat is enough to destroy the likes of Algeria and sail through to the semis.

When Andros Townsend cuts inside and knobs it over the bar for the umpteenth time, I'll want to commit fucking seppuku anyway. Might as well get knocked out early so I can enjoy the rest of the competition without permanently touching the cloth on my Joe Hart briefs.

gutshot

Japan is a strong team, I agree.

The US team is weaksauce. You only got lucky last WC because you drew England.

Come at me, bros.

Last WC we were coached by "Bunker" Bob Bradley. Now we're playing the beautiful game as taught by one Jurgën Klinsmann. Don't sleep on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom