• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ID@Xbox launch clause has dev signing exclusive deal with Sony in order to be on XB1

It's not just free tools, it's access to the program. If you aren't in the program, you aren't releasing self published games on Xbox.

then develop for your system of choice and then sign up? its not like once you build for one system, you build from the ground up again considering the similar architecture they both have now to pc development.

Bsigg12

Also, we don't know if this will apply to devs who use retail Xbox Ones as dev kits. This clause could be strictly for those receiving 2 full devkits. Since we haven't seen a full copy of the contract there is a lot of details missing.

Rhindle

As a small developer, you most likely won't have the resources to work on both concurrently, which translates into working on one first and then the other. Considering how difficult it is to keep the lights on at the best of times, if you can get one version out and generating revenue for you immediately while working on the subsequent versions, that's a much better scenario than having a finished product sitting in the can while you work on another version due to the Xbone parity clause.

From the MS side, I totally get it. From the developer's side, not so much. I'm glad it worked out for Vlambeer.
Fine, so assume you're only developing on one platform because you have limited resources and need to release some version of the game ASAP.

If you decide to develop exclusively on PS4, then you're developing exclusively on PS4 whether you signed an exclusivity deal with Sony or not. If you decide to develop exclusively on X1, then you're complying with Microsoft's contract language regardless.

The point is that the platform parity clause should not affect your behavior either way, and I don'd see what putative benefit they gained by signing an exclusivity deal with Sony.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd like to know if this parity contract says something about PC too. That would be wild. MS is too turnt up. Turn down fools.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Does this only applies to indies or big 3rd party publisher also? Because it actually hurts indie more.
I can't speak to third party deals. Since we're talking about ID@Xbox program, that should be the focus - and yes, it does hurt indie devs more.

harSon

Banned
Do you have to become a ID@Xbox enrollee to utilize your retail unit as a dev kit? Once that functionality is rolled out of course.

viveks86

Man! The more I think about it, the more annoying this is! The whole point of self publishing is to allow devs to release their game whenever they see fit, right? This is in complete contradiction to that! We are back to arbitrary restrictions that not only limit how and when developers release their games but hold back their earnings until they can release on the xbox as well, if that was part of the plan. The only option if you are not ready yet, is to not publish for the platform at all. WTF, MS? How is this supposed to attract more devs?

Wereroku

Do you have to become a ID@Xbox enrollee to utilize your retail unit as a dev kit? Once that functionality is rolled out of course.

Yes that is how they whitelist your box.

then develop for your system of choice and then sign up? its not like once you build for one system, you build from the ground up again considering the similar architecture they both have now to pc development.

This is specifically what they are disallowing. You have to start on XBO first if you can only do one platform at a time and you want it released while working on the others.

adixon

I'd like to know if this parity contract says something about PC too. That would be wild. MS is too turnt up. Turn down fools.

I would too. I could see them getting away with strong arming developers into finishing the xbox versions before the ps4 versions (even though the MS tools for indies sound like they're a lot less far along), but if this applies to Steam and GoG as well... lol.

Eusis

This can bite MS in the ass, especially when the PS4 keeps selling gangbusters. Then again who knows what kind of weird clauses Sony has.
While this is something you should always keep in mind without seeing the contracts for yourself, I do think a key difference this time is that the decision makers at Sony were forced to try and view this all from the perspective of a indie developer and what they need to worry about, so I suspect they'll be relatively tame or at least deals that compromise what a platform holder would want and what an indie developer needs to survive. Microsoft in contrast seems to ONLY be looking at this fromt he view of the platform holder, whether or not some of the staff tried to understand the indie standpoint (I do suspect a good chunk of them did actually) those who made the final calls either didn't try or didn't care.

Tobor

You're missing the point. You either release on Xbox at the same time you release on other consoles, or you don't release on Xbox at all.

Most indie devs don't have the resources to do multiple simultaneous releases.

libregkd

The point is that the platform parity clause should not affect your behavior either way, and I don'd see what putative benefit they gained by signing an exclusivity deal with Sony.
Because otherwise they wouldn't be able to release their game on the XB1 without delaying the PS4 version. And delaying a completely finished game from going on sale is never really a smart thing to do.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fine, so assume you're only developing on one platform because you have limited resources and need to release some version of the game ASAP.

If you decide to develop exclusively on PS4, then you're developing exclusively on PS4 whether you signed an exclusivity deal with Sony or not. If you decide to develop exclusively on X1, then you're complying with Microsoft's contract language regardless.

They only signed the exclusivity contract with Sony to get around MS's parity clause. That loophole is now closed. It's either release on Xbone first/day and date with PS4, or don't release on Xbone at all.

hawk2025

That is the major question right now, IMO.

It changes every thing about their "friendly" policies if so.

Oppo

Nice, Microsoft. Mandate an effort from indie developers that fucking Respawn Entertainment, maker of your beloved TitanFall, said was a little too hard for them.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Makes sense from a biz standpoint for the console holder. I guess the free dev tools are the carrot for the developer but it kinda hamstrings them if resources are limited.

adixon

Oh damn. If that sales gap continues to grow in Sony's favor, this could turn out to be disastrous for MS, with indies choosing to forgo XBO completely.

Exactly! :/

(Though in that case hopefully they'll get rid of the clause before it hurts both indie developers AND themselves.)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

If you decide to develop exclusively on PS4, then you're developing exclusively on PS4 whether you signed an exclusively deal with Sony or not. If you decide to develop exclusively on X1, then you're compying with Microsoft's contract language.

You're not getting it.

By signing the exclusivity deal earlier in the year with Sony, Vlambeer maintained their flexibility to launch their game on their terms, ie. PS4 first and Xbone later. If they had not signed that exclusivity deal, that flexibility is no longer available and they're forced into a day and date release.

That platform parity clause will affect indie dev behaviour going forward, as the loophole is now closed. How do you not understand this?

prwxv3

This could backfire gloriously. Does the clause include PC into the mix too, because for some indie devs it might be better to just release ps4, PC versions and skip xbone.

Argyle

My understanding is that you can choose which console to publish on first.

If you prefer to release on the PS4 first, you sign a time exclusive deal with Sony and then go to MS. If you want to go MS first, you can do that as well. And if you have the capacity to do both, you can do that too.

The only thing this changes is how an indie approaches the signing process. If he signs with MS first, and doesn't have the capacity to work on two consoles at the same time, then he's obligated to release on MS first.

In other words, nothing really changes fkr the dev.

It's almost as if you didn't read the OP :)

Mifune

Mehmber

Do you not see the irony of a "self-publishing" program that forces indie developers to release on the XB1 first or at the same time as the other versions?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This could backfire glroiously. Does the clause include PC into the mix too, because for some indie devs it might be better to just release ps4, PC versions and skip xbone.

They cannot be that stupid. So many amazing indie games release first on PC.

Rhindle

Because otherwise they wouldn't be able to release their game on the XB1 without delaying the PS4 version. And delaying a completely finished game from going on sale is never really a smart thing to do.
Why would they have to delay the PS4 release again? The MS contract language doesn't require launch exclusivity, just parity.

viveks86

This could backfire gloriously. Does the clause include PC into the mix too, because for some indie devs it might be better to just release ps4, PC versions and skip xbone.
They specifically said other console platforms.

Why would they have to delay the PS4 release again? The MS contract language doesn't require launch exclusivity, just parity.
Because the PS4 version may be ready but the Xbone version is not?

MThanded

My understanding is that you can choose which console to publish on first.

If you prefer to release on the PS4 first, you sign a time exclusive deal with Sony and then go to MS. If you want to go MS first, you can do that as well. And if you have the capacity to do both, you can do that too.

The only thing this changes is how an indie approaches the signing process. If he signs with MS first, and doesn't have the capacity to work on two consoles at the same time, then he's obligated to release on MS first.

In other words, nothing really changes fkr the dev.
No.

Here are your options going forwards
1. Release on xbox one first
2. Release on xbox one and ps4 at the same time
3. Release on ps4 without an xbox one version and you can't release an xbox one version at all.

Vlambeer's situation only worked because they exploited a loophole by singing an exclusivity contract early. You no longer can do that.

Do you not see the irony of a "self-publishing" program that forces indie developers to release on the XB1 first or at the same time as the other versions?

no i don't really see the irony, its a business plan, if they are giving you free dev tools that is not provided by the competitor, you would think they would want something in exchange. that is parity or exclusivity.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
1. PS4 version is complete.
2. Xbone version is in development.
3. PS4 release is now delayed until the Xbone version is ready thanks to this clause.

If you want to release on XB1 you have to release it at the same time as all other platforms unless you already have a deal with another platform (loophole). Otherwise you wont be accepted into ID@Xbox.

Simply:
1) Release on XB! first or at the same time as other platforms = accepted for ID@Xbox
2) Otherwise (except for the loophole mentioned above) = not accepted for ID@Xbox

*Thats what im getting from it

This seems like a good way to turn down some good games that just might now have looked at xbox for various reasons.

I assume they probably will have some "you can port a old game to xbox if you include some extra content" clause?

Argyle

Parity means day and date release. So you can either release on Xbone first, you can release simultaneously, or you can release on Xbone exclusively. If you only have time to get one ready for release at a time and that one happens be the PS4 version, then only option 2 is available to you.

tkalamba

Can anyone actually post the clause? I get that it is probably not possible, but I'm hoping the anonymity the internet allows will mean someone posts it.

I feel like there may be room for misinterpretation in what is being said. Any contracts I've ever read pertaining to market dates and the like specifically reference the term date so I want to know if launch day parity means means the game has to release at the same time, or the game has to be released at par (same version with updates applied) as a game previously released. I figure this makes more sense, as if a game that was previously exclusive was released on Xbox 1 months after the PS4, MS would want that game to be running with all the same updates and patches from day one to ensure the game is to par with the competitions version.

jim2011

Did you guys even read the OP? It's why vlambeer decided at the time to sign with Sony first. There were "mentions". This isn't official confirmation this is even the case.

As for those saying the loophole is closed. Why would Microsoft say this TODAY:

"In instances where games have signed a timed exclusive with another platform, we'll work with them on a case by case basis."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ls-loads-of-indie-devs-signed-up-with-id-xbox

Wereroku

not i don't really see the irony, its a business plan, if they are giving you free dev tools that is not provided by the competitor, you would think they would want something in exchange.

Dude are you doing this on purpose? This is the only way to develop on the platform these devs cannot waive on the free stuff to allow you to waive the platform release parity. It is not in exchange for free stuff it is holding the program hostage.

Dragon

Banned
Still makes no sense to sign an exclusive with Sony.

By doing so, you've reduced your option set to 1 - launch exclusively on one and wait out Sony's exclusivity period.

How is that better than signing up for development on both platforms, and retaining the option to launch on one platform (XB1) or both concurrently? Unless you're getting some finanical support or other benefits from Sony for signing an exclusive, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

So it's better not to give developers choices and be locked in because why exactly? Because you prefer a specific platform?

Did you guys even read the OP? It's why vlambeer decided at the time to sign with Sony first. There were "mentions". This isn't official confirmation this is even the case.

"In instances where games have signed a timed exclusive with another platform, we'll work with them on a case by case basis."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ls-loads-of-indie-devs-signed-up-with-id-xbox

Because MS doesn't want bad press?

tkalamba

Parity means day and date release. So you can either release on Xbone first, you can release simultaneously, or can release on Xbone exclusively. If you only have time to get one ready for release at a time and that one happens be the PS4 version, then only option 2 is available to you.

Don't most contracts have to actually use the word "Date" if that is what they mean by parity? My interpretation of parity is that the games need to have any patches or updates in the xbox one version so that it is at par with the competitions version.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And if you don't decide to develop exclusively and are rather just trying to prioritize limited resources to get your game out on as many platforms as and when revenue intake allows it?

MThanded

As for exclusivity deals, he said, "We do not require exclusivity agreements. However, we do ask for day one parity with other console game platforms."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/198528/

Oppo

Don't most contracts have to actually use the word "Date" if that is what they mean by parity? My interpretation of parity is that the games need to have any patches or updates in the xbox one version so that it is at par with the competitions version.

you don't get an interpretation of parity, it's in the dictionary. "day one parity" means just that, they both launch on the same day. the date is the thing here, nothing else. you've just seen 'parity' tossed around too much in console war threads, maybe?

what is going on in this thread. it's very straightforward.

Wereroku

Then it doesn't make sense why vlambeer would need to avoid this. Most companies would release the newest version of their code on each respective platform. This is concerning the release to market date specifically. If they do not coincide you cannot release on XBO its hard to misinterpret.

1. PS4 version is complete.
2. Xbone version is in development.
3. PS4 release is now delayed until the Xbone version is ready thanks to this clause.

This clause really doesn't benefit anyone at all except MS. Developers either have to sit on a finished product they could be earning money from or dramatically increase their workload. Developers and consumers both lose out, big time.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Did you gloss over the sentence just before that one?

"We do not require exclusivity agreements. However, we do ask for day one parity with other console game platforms," a Microsoft spokesperson told SavyGamer.
That's the discussion we're having, day and date parity.

Top Bottom