• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiko Yoshida (FFT, TO, Vagrant Story, FFXII) confirms that he has left Square Enix

duckroll

In "The Art of Bravely" (the Bravely Default artbook which just came out), Yoshida's message to fans confirms that he left Square Enix since November. He says he'll still work on the series as needed though, probably on a contractual basis.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious to see what he does in the future.

Since Square Enix doesn't make that many non-mobile games anymore, and he's not on their two remaining console projects, I imagine he wanted to spread his wings.

The writing was on the wall for a while.

As long as they still contract him for future Bravely and Ogre games, I think it's probably for the best. Now we can see some other companies utilize his stuff.

Though as obvious by the art for Bravely Second, he's already working with SE again.

Since Square Enix doesn't make that many non-mobile games anymore, and he's not on their two remaining console projects, I imagine he wanted to spread his wings.

Does the platform really matter so much for an artist? One who worked plenty on less capable devices than modern smartphones?
As long as they still contract him for future Bravely and Ogre games, I think it's probably for the best. Now we can see some other companies utilize his stuff.
Will they even make more Ogre games?

In "The Art of Bravely" (the Bravely Default artbook which just came out), Yoshida's message to fans confirms that he left Square Enix since November. He says he'll still work on the series as needed though, probably on a contractual basis.

Oh no.

He's the best artist at SE.

First Matsuno, now Akihiko Yoshida, who's next?

Yoshida should go hook up with Sakaguchi and get him back to making proper console games instead of taking pictures of sunsets and posting them on Facebook. :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does the platform really matter so much for an artist? One who worked plenty on less capable devices than modern smartphones?

Will they even make more Ogre games?

Well, I imagine the amount of effort that goes into the games and recreating said art is more relevant than the hardware.

Eusis

Ideally they'd just give Ogre to Matsuno and be done with it, but you never see that happen with Japanese companies and he'd need his own studio again for that to even matter anyway.
Oh no.

He's the best artist at SE.

First Matsuno, now Akihiko Yoshida, who's next?
Nomura leaves. Then we truly witness the internet lose its collective shit.

DJIzana

I'm curious too... there's no one that has a better art style as amazing as Akihiko Yoshida, in my opinion. Nomura is still a talented one there and he's pretty good but absolutely no comparison between him and Akihiko Yoshida.

Once Nomura leaves... I'm out.

danthefan

Though as obvious by the art for Bravely Second, he's already working with SE again.

There's a future Ogre game!?

pirata

WHAT
noooooooooooooooooooo

At this point, working for Square means you're pretty much consigned to cell phone games for all eternity. You should be glad that a talented developer escaped that fate. Hopefully the indie movement will become big in Japan soon. The country desperately needs it.

HeelPower

Wasn't he also responsible for FFXIV ARR's art ?

Well it sounds bad ,but hopefully he can still work with SE from time to time.

:/

Gutss

Vagant story what a game this is, its hard but its so rewarding, good call leaving Sqenix dont want you to root with a mobile game company, go some where else like monolith, mistwalker.

Eusis

At this point, working for Square means you're pretty much consigned to cell phone games for all eternity. You should be glad that a talented developer escaped that fate. Hopefully the indie movement will become big in Japan soon. The country desperately needs it.
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't seem to have favorable conditions for their systems, but I wonder if Sony does for theirs? Would be interesting if the PS4 takes off in that regard, especially if we get companies that will localize that stuff like CarpeFulgar.

... Man, I really do think I'll be reminiscing when SE made non-mobile games by the end of this next generation. :/
Guess bravely second might be the last game he fully works on with SE
Well, it does sound like he'd still work with them probably on a contractual basis, so admittedly I can see it being a situation where it's effectively the same as before, just that he shows up in non-SE games again.

Pappasman

Yoshida is one of my favorite artists in gaming. His work is incredible. Hopefully he can move on to quality products.

Glass Rebel

Huge loss for Square-Enix. He's the best artist they've had, arguably the best in the industry. For fans of his work this could be better though.

Knurek

Team Ogre:
Yasumi Matsuno
Akihiko Yoshida
Hiroshi Minagawa
Hitoshi Sakimoto

Was Sakimoto ever employed by Sqeenix? I imagine they contracted him (or Basiscape) for the few games he scored for Matsuno.

Also, you forgot Masaharu Iwata, who scored half of TO/OB scores and Hayato Matsuo (few tracks for OB, loads for OB64)

Rumors say Nomura is going to leave to found an indie belts-and-zippers manufacturing firm, with a side business of hair-gel manufacturing.
LoL! And a mobile phone business, since he always puts in mobile phones in his games.

I doubt Nomura would leave...he still has at least ten years to finish KH3 and FFXV!

How about Kitase? What is he going to so without Lightning!?

It seems that a lot of former Square-Enix staff end up on working on mobile games or just fade away into the ether. And it's not like their prospects were any more positive when they were still at the company, anyway. Mistwalker's output has been kind of meager as well. This is depressing.

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't seem to have favorable conditions for their systems, but I wonder if Sony does for theirs? Would be interesting if the PS4 takes off in that regard, especially if we get companies that will localize that stuff like CarpeFulgar.

... Man, I really do think I'll be reminiscing when SE made non-mobile games by the end of this next generation. :/

I don't think it's the platform conditions that are the biggest barrier, but the way that the doujin scene works in Japan.

Eusis

I don't think it's the platform conditions that are the biggest barrier, but the way that the doujin scene works in Japan.
Oh yeah, I definitely figure a cultural shift in that scene would need to happen first and foremost, but it doesn't help when someone like Nintendo's way more restrictive in Japan than in America or Europe.

Teknoman

Im fine with this if it means his art spreads to other genres and developers as well as keeping with S-E RPG when needed.

EDIT: A game with Yoshida, Uematsu, and Sakaguchi would be pretty nice nowadays.

What else has Amano done recently aside from FF title art and concept pieces every so often?

jiggle

At this point, working for Square means you're pretty much consigned to cell phone games for all eternity. You should be glad that a talented developer escaped that fate..
Guess what platform he'll most likely end up on next

LoL! And a mobile phone business, since he always puts in mobile phones in his games.

I doubt Nomura would leave...he still has at least ten years to finish KH3 and FFXV!

How about Kitase? What is he going to so without Lightning!?

He will be fired halfway through the development of his next project when upper management discovers that he has replaced every single character in said game with Lightning in a different outfit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
qc5y1SB.png

Dark_castle

This sucks.

Hate to see talented designers leaving one after another.

If Hiroyuki Ito and Hiroshi Minagawa are the next ones to leave, this company will be stripped of nearly all the good apples.

Top Bottom