• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Vince McMahon
(12-08-2013, 09:54 PM)
http://www.newson6.com/story/2416547...hes-for-statue

OKLAHOMA CITY - Republican lawmakers in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a satanic statue when they approved a Ten Commandments monument for the Statehouse steps.
A spokesman for the New York-based Satanic Temple notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a statue to go next to the Ten Commandments monument. It's planning to submit one of several possible designs this month. Spokesman Lucien Greaves says one potential design involves a pentagram.

The Legislature authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009. It was placed on the Capitol grounds last year, although legal experts questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit.

But Greaves says the move opened up a public space for the satanic group.

I say go for it. If they want to dance around and put a Ten Commandments statue at the Capitol and find a "loophole", let that loophole get exploited and be fair.
Loxley
(12-08-2013, 09:58 PM)
If Oklahoma's government wants to blatantly ignore the whole "separation of Church and State" thing, then they have to deal with things like this.
Vince McMahon
(12-08-2013, 09:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Loxley

If Oklahoma's government wants to blatantly ignore the whole "separation of Church and State" thing, then they have to deal with things like this.

That's how I feel about it too. Swings both ways. Or all ways, to be fair.
maquiladora
(12-08-2013, 10:03 PM)

OKLAHOMA CITY - Republican lawmakers in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a satanic...

The opening line had so much awesome potential.
Camp Lo
(12-08-2013, 10:04 PM)
They definitely should go for it. Take down all religious bullshit or let every religious bullshit in.
Madness
(12-08-2013, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Vince McMahon

That's how I feel about it too. Swings both ways. Or all ways, to be fair.

Problem is, you risk antagonizing groups that might start to become more 'militant'. I mean I understand the need to do so, to promote fairness and demonstrate the separation between church and state, but still.
Tesseract
(12-08-2013, 10:05 PM)
it's fun to stand back and watch this shit from afar.

lol
Elginer
(12-08-2013, 10:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Tesseract

it's fun to stand back and watch this shit from afar.

lol

It really is. Dis gon be good.
Escape Goat
(12-08-2013, 10:06 PM)
I hope they get it just so I can be amused by the meltdown.
mhs004
(12-08-2013, 10:07 PM)
Imagine if this happens lol. I'm from NW Arkansas, which is really close to OK, it would piss ALOT of people off from the area and around.
Fiktion
(12-08-2013, 10:07 PM)
Can we Kickstart this?
Arkos
Nose how to spell and rede to
(12-08-2013, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by maquiladora

The opening line had so much awesome potential.

Hahaha good catch. And good for them, as others said, you can't only allow one religion. This should indeed be pretty funny.
daycru
(12-08-2013, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Fiktion

Can we Kickstart this?

Nah, but I'm planning an Indie Go Go to fund the installation of giant e-meters. Finally, standard tech will be available to all who need it.
pizza dog
Banned
(12-08-2013, 10:09 PM)
What a bunch of antagonistic pricks.
ChiliManiac
Banned
(12-08-2013, 10:09 PM)
Well, it would be awesome if the law makers actually followed the 10 commandments instead of breaking them on a dailybasis, I think they need a reminder of what they actually are lol.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Ten Commandments

20 Then God spoke all these words, saying,

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of [a]slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods [b]before Me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself [c]an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not [d]leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

8 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who [e]stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

18 All the people perceived the [f]thunder and the lightning flashes and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood at a distance. 19 Then they said to Moses, “Speak [g]to us yourself and we will listen; but let not God speak [h]to us, or we will die.” 20 Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may [i]remain with you, so that you may not sin.” 21 So the people stood at a distance, while Moses approached the thick cloud where God was.

22 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘You yourselves have seen that I have spoken [j]to you from heaven. 23 You shall not make other gods besides Me; gods of silver or gods of gold, you shall not make for yourselves. 24 You shall make an altar of earth for Me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to be remembered, I will come to you and bless you. 25 If you make an altar of stone for Me, you shall not build it of cut stones, for if you wield your tool on it, you will profane it. 26 And you shall not go up by steps to My altar, so that your nakedness will not be exposed on it.’
Last edited by ChiliManiac; 12-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Juice
(12-08-2013, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by pizza dog

The guys who put the ten commandments there? Agreed
Northeastmonk
(12-08-2013, 10:11 PM)
Found this in the comments sections, I laughed a little.

You idiots laughing should be concerned about the moral decline of this country. It is you and these devil worshipers I will be praying for.

I can't wait till the day when excuses like "We can't visit our state capital because the depictions of satan and his demons scare the children".
Last edited by Northeastmonk; 12-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Rei no Otaku
(12-08-2013, 10:12 PM)

Spokesman Lucien Greaves

Perfect name for the spokesman of a satanic church.
Fiktion
(12-08-2013, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Northeastmonk

Found this in the comments sections, I laughed a little.

I would actually consider devil worship if it gave me super powers like you see in horror movies.
BertramCooper
(12-08-2013, 10:13 PM)
Probably a good idea, since it's only a matter of time before President Barack Hussein Obamacare mandates this sort of devilry.
Acorn
(12-08-2013, 10:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Fiktion

I would actually consider devil worship if it gave me super powers like you see in horror movies.

You only get superpowers if you eat a baby. Baby eater.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(12-08-2013, 10:18 PM)
How can we help this noble cause?
Aylinato
(12-08-2013, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by GK86

How can we help this noble cause?

Create the first sonic the hedgehog statue and give it ten commandments
Alcotholic
(12-08-2013, 11:12 PM)
The satanic religion is not really a bad one. They have great virtues and morality, and they don't sacrifice shit. So I would support this cause. People should be open to learn more about it.
Lactose_Intolerant
(12-08-2013, 11:14 PM)
Not the first time something like this has happened.

Shaanyboi
(12-08-2013, 11:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Loxley

Completely agree.
Escape Goat
(12-08-2013, 11:15 PM)

Louisiana Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, is retracting her support for Gov. Bobby Jindal's voucher program, after realizing the money could be applied to Muslim schools, Livingston Parish News reports

Hodges initially supported the governor's program because she mistakenly equated "religious" with "Christian," according to the report. Jindal's reform package allows state education funds to be used to send students to religious schools.

Unfortunately it will not be limited to the Founders’ religion... We need to insure [sic] that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana," Hodges was quoted as saying in the Livingston Parish News.

NotTheGuyYouKill
(12-08-2013, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Escape Goat

Good lord.
Mario
Sidhe / PikPok
(12-08-2013, 11:25 PM)
Next stop, Sharia Law. Thanks Republicans!
User Name Here
(12-08-2013, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Lactose_Intolerant

Not the first time something like this has happened.

May the spaghetti be with you.
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(12-08-2013, 11:28 PM)
I support it.

It goes both ways, and you can't discriminate.

Solution; stop fucking mixing religion with government whose sole function is to represent a myriad of citizens, of all religions.
zeemumu
(12-08-2013, 11:29 PM)
Never really understood Satanic people. Is the goal to get superpowers, or are they just convinced that they're going to Hell so they're trying to brown nose the devil?
Perfect Cha0s
(12-08-2013, 11:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku

Just what I was thinking. Goddamn.. what a badass name.
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(12-08-2013, 11:32 PM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

Never really understood Satanic people. Is the goal to get superpowers, or are they just convinced that they're going to Hell so they're trying to brown nose the devil?

The goal is for their religion to be treated equally under the law and representation.
nailbombxx
(12-08-2013, 11:34 PM)
A statue of baphomet or something would be pretty cool.
onadesertedisland
(12-08-2013, 11:36 PM)
Satanists aren't worshipers of a christian devil, but rather a tongue-in-cheek humanist group.
Mario
Sidhe / PikPok
(12-08-2013, 11:36 PM)

That depends on whether they are theistic or atheistic Satanists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
Pumpkin King
(12-08-2013, 11:38 PM)
I live in Oklahoma. The fight to get the 10 commandments monument was a good one too. I for one think this is funny as hell.
Bo
shoot bullets from her arse
(12-08-2013, 11:40 PM)

Roughly divided into two groups: party people and weirdos.
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(12-08-2013, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Bo

Roughly divided into two groups: party people and weirdos.

Thats every single religion, or hell. Group of people.
Kettch
(12-08-2013, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Madness

Problem is, you risk antagonizing groups that might start to become more 'militant'. I mean I understand the need to do so, to promote fairness and demonstrate the separation between church and state, but still.

There is definitely a misunderstanding, with many people believing that separation of church and state is some atheist anti-religion crusade. This should be a good lesson that it actually protects religious groups from unwanted influences.
Soka
(12-08-2013, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku

This guy recently officiated at a ritual in which gay couples kissed over the grave of the mother of the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Never heard of him before this thread, and I normally find desecrating a grave/disrespecting the dead in bad taste... but this I find just a tad humorous I have to admit. Oh, and his original (maybe legal?) name is Doug Mesner.
Sho_Nuff82
(12-08-2013, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by pizza dog

You are talking about people who literally worship Satan though.
Bo
(12-08-2013, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by commedieu

Thats every single religion, or hell. Group of people.

Well, the point is that the order for Satanism is reversed: it's the weirdos that take all the ritual and symbolism literally, whereas it's the party people who troll for good causes such as this one. It's a distinction most evangelical Christians won't discern, which adds a nice element of the absurd to the affair.

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

You are talking about people who literally worship Satan though.

Figuratively, in this particular case.
Moff
(12-08-2013, 11:49 PM)

modern satanism is mostly tied to respect nature and giving in to our emotions. the references to "satan" and any other christian symbols are mostly out of protest against its hipocrisy. it sounds good on paper, but most satanists I met were dumbasses.

I would definitely support some satanist statues, though. I bet they would look cool.
perfectchaos007
(12-08-2013, 11:54 PM)
This is currently my favorite religious statue in Oklahoma on the campus of ORU.

I wonder if the satanic group will try to top it

A6M3
(12-08-2013, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Alcotholic

The satanic religion is not really a bad one. They have great virtues and morality, and they don't sacrifice shit. So I would support this cause. People should be open to learn more about it.

Yes they do its not a real religion its a cult
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(12-08-2013, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Bo

Well, the point is that the order for Satanism is reversed: it's the weirdos that take all the ritual and symbolism literally, whereas it's the party people who troll for good causes such as this one. It's a distinction most evangelical Christians won't discern, which adds a nice element of the absurd to the affair.

Figuratively, in this particular case.

I get that, but weirdo is subjective. From the outside looking in, all religions have their 'weirdos.' Alls i was sayins.

Originally Posted by A6M3

Yes they do its not a real religion its a cult

Some Satanic churches are tax exempt... Thats as real as religion gets in America. Bottom line wise.
Last edited by commedieu; 12-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Kinitari
Black Canada Mafia
(12-09-2013, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

This is currently my favorite religious statue in Oklahoma on the campus of ORU.

I wonder if the satanic group will try to top it

Religious? Why sir, that's just a high-five right before or right after the smacking sound.
Bo
(12-09-2013, 12:03 AM)

Originally Posted by commedieu

I get that, but weirdo is subjective. From the outside looking in, all religions have their 'weirdos.' Alls i was sayins.

Weirdo in this context was merely a loose standby for normative. For most religions, the hedonistic party set are the outlier.