• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanic group pushes for statue in Capitol of Bible Belt state

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

casabolg

Banned
I never really understood Satanism. You want to pick the stooge from someone else's mythology and worship him?

It's that, yes, but moreover focuses on adopting the catholic view of European traditional religions and dismissed Semitic gods and indirectly coming to understand whatever correlations exist between them all. That's why you see images like the pentagram.

Popular Satanism, however, tries to adopt Satan not as a figure but an overarching virtuous concept and generally promotes epicurean philosophy (rational hedonism) with other esoteric mess.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hmm.

Thinking about it Satan really does seem like the good guy.
Gives us knowledge, lets us have fun, killed far less people than God in the bible.

Hmmmm...

Anura

Better they both do extremely shitty things, may I ask how does one objectively even begin to rate either. Read the story again sin was part of it but OT makes it clear their are various groups of mixed humans some with nephilim blood and he did it to keep purity. Rampant sin was a result of the problem not the cause. You not caring for it shows. You don't have to be a theological scholar but knowing the details really helps as that is basically what a lot arguing in the bible comes down too. Being an atheist isn't an excuse for ignorance or leaving out big bits of huge stories in something you happen to be talking about.

Dai101 they lose their immortality and basically become the two sole human beings responsible for the suffering of everyone to come after them. Pretty bad if you ask me, though I'm not up for the whole living in ignorance paradise business either. Bible is pretty shitty and horrific all around.

Still it's just one story of something God did that is in the grey area of morality. That stuff really doesn't excuse an all powerful omnipotent being killing nigh everything. Sorry he still doesn't sound like the good guy.

Also I think being an atheist is a pretty good excuse for only having a rudimentary knowledge of someone else's religion. It's not my job to know the ludicrous stories of that faith but if you want to correct me go ahead I'm fine with that

televator

Is this the same place that got the atheist monument next to the commandments? If so, good. The more the merrier. Can't let a one religion get away with having a state sponsored religious icon being accommodated on public tax paid grounds. I still say Muslims should get in on it. Even Satanists and atheists can't make christian theocrats' hair catch on fire quite like Islam.

Ohwiseone

I live in Oklahoma.

Needless to say, this is become super hilarious to sit back and watch.

Personally, I hate everything about our state government, the way its run.

So watching the Derplahomans freak out, is pretty fucking entertaining.

Will southern republicans ever not be an embarassment to functioning democracies?

In all honesty, Probably not.
Hell people here still think Obama is fucking Muslim and obamacare is the work of devil. (Seriously, People have told me this)

Because you know, instead of the State government actually attempting to DO something that applies to being helpful for the citizens. They are currently attempting to pass a law so people can say "Marry Christmas" SERIOUSLY.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/oklahoma-lawmakers-push-to-protect-christmas/-/11777584/23401524/-/pkrv4y/-/index.html

This state is so fucked.

casabolg

Banned
Still it's just one story of something God did that is in the grey area of morality. That stuff really doesn't excuse an all powerful omnipotent being killing nigh everything. Sorry he still doesn't sound like the good guy.

If you wish to judge the current understanding of philosophy between God and Satan, God is a collectivist and Satan an individualist. But you have to look beyond your humanism when speaking about God killing people. To believe God exists implies that heaven and hell and all that mess exists. Earth is just a temporal testing ground.

Anura

If you wish to judge the current understanding of philosophy between God and Satan, God is a collectivist and Satan an individualist. But you have to look beyond your humanism when speaking about God killing people. To believe God exists implies that heaven and hell and all that mess exists. Earth is just a temporal testing ground.
Interpretations and what not. Yours is but one of many.

televator

It really isn't difficult to divulge the nature of this conflict in the bible and yet so many right wing Christians in the US are blatant individualists. It's no surprise that Fox news is now clashing with the new pope who espouses a very collectivist ideal.

casabolg

Banned
It really isn't difficult to divulge the nature of this conflict in the bible and yet so many right wing Christians in the US are blatant individualists. It's no surprise that Fox news is now clashing with the new pope who espouses a very collectivist ideal.

Oh definitely, but that collectivism that the current pope espouses is commonly taken by both sides as an economic argument though, typically misunderstood as leaning on marxist ideals when the catholic church would be more distributist than marxist or capitalist but focuses on social values being strengthened instead of morality enforced by by laws and regulations.

Edit: That said, the west is generally more individualist than not.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It's that, yes, but moreover focuses on adopting the catholic view of European traditional religions and dismissed Semitic gods and indirectly coming to understand whatever correlations exist between them all. That's why you see images like the pentagram.

Popular Satanism, however, tries to adopt Satan not as a figure but an overarching virtuous concept and generally promotes epicurean philosophy (rational hedonism) with other esoteric mess.

I really think people are into it for the crazy chicks. They're kinda like Juggalettes but with better hygene.

casabolg

Banned
I really think people are into it for the crazy chicks. They're kinda like Juggalettes but with better hygene.

Church of Satan gets a lot of this. Whatever crap they do that could get people involved in 'relations' they have to put barriers of entry to see if they are there for the fun or for the religion.

massoluk

Banned
Up there for sometime, but things got more awesome this morning as Hinduism joined the fray. You may get to see Hanuman statue at OK Capitol.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...-equal-placement-on-oklahoma-capitol-grounds/

The fourth-largest faith group in the U.S. – and third-largest in the world – said it would like to join the religious displays to honor Oklahoma’s Hindus and raise awareness about their faith.

Zed said he’d written the preservation commission chairman and others to ask for detailed procedures, required forms and outlines for conditions to be met for proper approval.

The Hindu group said their planned statue of Lord Hanuman would be “big and weather-proof.”

casabolg

Banned
Would have preferred Ganesh if they wanted to do a large statue but I doubt they'd get away with making it large. Hanuman will be interesting.

televator

Would have preferred Ganesh if they wanted to do a large statue but I doubt they'd get away with making it large. Hanuman will be interesting.

How many people do you think won't mistake that for Mohammad?

Ohohohoho! Need to buy some popcorn in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom