• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

zakislam

Edit: All major updates added to the bottom of the OP as the situation progresses with any major developments. Everything seems to be up in the air now as massive networks like Machinima seemingly don't even know why this has happened.

EDIT: YOUTUBE OFFICIALLY RESPONDS: It’s Official: YouTube Affiliate Channels Subject To New Copyright Claims

We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.

Video explaining it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-TOZat-wo

This seems to be in relation to the "affiliate" vs "managed" changes YouTube are implementing soon apparently that was announced a few days ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730378&highlight=youtube

Hundreds of content ID claims (which the channels affected say means it results in no more earnings off from the video content ID claimed anymore but instead the earnings going to the copyright owner) now being issued every minute it seems between hundreds of large gaming channels:

http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/10/youtube-contentid-flag-gaming-videos/

Some of the large YouTube gaming channels currently detailing constant updates on receiving content ID claims, and many saying the claims are erroneous as they're coming from companies and even individual channels not related to the copyright in any way every few minutes:

https://twitter.com/thaRadBrad
https://twitter.com/GhostRobo

438c81c6e55296f7a3bb47b05f9aeafe.png

d0796edf7ad71cc4e42adcf444c9bd55.png

https://twitter.com/tetraninja

https://twitter.com/ZackScott
https://twitter.com/GameRiotArmy

When we first heard of YouTube’s plan to begin screening videos from Affiliate channels of YouTube Multi-Channel Networks and subjecting those videos to a process of monetization review, we figured we had at least another month and an explanatory blog post still to come before the changes would take effect. Apparently, however, some of the changes associated with the new system may have come sooner than we expected.

Dozens of prominent YouTubers mostly in the gaming vertical are reporting that Content ID has flagged tens, and sometimes hundreds of their videos. What’s more is many of the copyright claims are coming from suspicious third-party sources who – in some cases – don’t appear to be the owners of the questionable content.

Many of the creators whose videos have been flagged are among the most popular on YouTube. TheRadBrad, a gamer whose walkthroughs have earned him nearly two million subscribers and multiple appearances on our Top YouTube Channel Charts, has seen many of his videos flagged, with background music serving as the culprit. Other gamers, such as Tetraninja and GhostRobo, have seen their videos cited as well, with offenses sometimes as trivial as infringing background music playing within a game.

TheRadBrad seemingly made "affiliate" and hit by content ID claims (largest gaming walkthrough/let's play YouTuber with nearly 2 million subscribers):

Tetraninja: "Hooray I come home to find this. 60+ vids and counting."

While this isn’t necessarily the upcoming monetization review process in action, the Content ID claims seem to be mostly targeting channels that are either Affiliate channels of an MCN, or not with an MCN at all. We’ve reached out to several YouTubers in the gaming vertical who claim to be in a Managed relationship with their multi-channel network, and none are receiving the quantity of Content ID claims as the channels mentioned above and below.

These copyright claims beg the question of why gaming companies (who are not Nintendo) would want to remove videos that popularize and bring exposure to their games. But in the vast majority of these cases, it’s not the game companies flagging videos; many claims have come from third parties seemingly unaffiliated.

TotalBiscuit has brought to note a channel named 4GamerMovie that is flagging footage from the game Metro: Last Light.

82cb4ea5338f0904993d07b368f2908a.png

These unjust claims are reportedly rampant among the hundreds of videos that have been flagged thus far. Even MCNs (like Machinima and its head of Affiliate Network) seem to have been blindsided by the wave of ContentID claims.

7d691140b66bb9d7fad3af60df4d5e6a.png

But look for those MCNs and the creators to begin fighting back soon. Many of these claims will likely get thrown out as they are revealed to be improper. For now, however, many creators are left with blocked revenue streams. It’s a mini-crisis for YouTube, its networks, and those networks’ partners, one that will hopefully get sorted out sooner rather than later.

Totalbiscuit apparently a "managed" partner so he hasn't got affected yet:

Update: Machinima's network managed on the situation:

Update 2:

Deep Silver not content ID claiming any videos and https://twitter.com/Pewology/status/410523484536983552. Also see: https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/410113842229051393

Update 3:

Company who claimed theRadBrad's part 1 video (over 1 million views so that's a lot of lost revenue and future revenue I'd presume) are involved in the distribution of music (via Orayn):

Did a little reading on this: Apparently IDOL and Merlin Phonophile are groups involved in the distribution of music, which means they probably have entries in the big YouTube copyrighted content database that triggered the content ID.

Update 4:

Jim Sterling video that has nothing to do with Capcom is content ID claimed by Capcom. His video about the whole situation here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8565-Copyright-War

Update 5:

Video from a large gaming partner showing the mass content ID claims:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkYWvsKIis

Update 6:

Capcom responds:

Update 7:

Naughty Dog responds:

Update 8:

Update 9:

Game Informer hit:

Update 10:

Nintendo responds, claims are seemingly not a "mistake":

Update 11:

Entities not related to a video that contains copyrighted material now issuing content ID claims:

Update 12:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RajmanGamingHD

Update 13:

Seems the really big gaming channels are being hit now, although it's not a video related to gaming weirdly enough (same guy that did this):

Update 14:

It’s Official: YouTube Affiliate Channels Subject To New Copyright Claims

We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.

“Flagged” seems like it's such an horrible big word these days… it just means that YouTubers are not getting revenue anymore from these videos. Nothing is blocked, accounts are not penalized. It's just whining for money really.

It has begun. As for Machinima helping their folks out. AngryJoe was claiming even he isn't safe from all this and included on the manage side (versus affiliate) and he is pretty big. So yeah.... good luck everyone and godspeed. It was fun while it lasted. I personally don't make a living off my content so doesn't really bother me but still sucks for others.

Alienous

Welp, that explains the delay in theRadBrad's videos. When I heard about the Youtube news, he was the first person my mind went to.

Well, the free internet age is slowly dying.

andycapps

It is kind of strange that someone can benefit monetarily from playing someone else's work. Not saying people shouldn't be allowed to make the videos, but profiting from ads on those videos? Seems strange.

AppleMIX

Fucking disgusting.

“Flagged” seems like it's such an horrible big word these days… it just means that YouTubers are not getting revenue anymore from these videos. Nothing is blocked, accounts are not penalized. It's just whining for money really.

We're quit literally talking peoples livelihoods here. People think that is it easy to edit videos and provide commentary but it really isn't. For every good monetized letsplayer there are about 10 bad unmonetized ones.

Where does it end? Are Giantbomb not allowed to do quicklooks anymore? What about REV3 games?

Yes, because if someone cut off your income, it wouldn't be a big deal, right?

You do realize that this will have future consequences resulting in fewer and lower-quality videos, right?

even my channel got a few flags on some Zelda WW dolphin vids I did. I made a whopping $5 from my channel last month...penalize me all you want motherfuckers :lol

Orayn

Before the thread goes completely insane, it bears repeating that content ID does not mean the video is getting taken down, nor does it put a copyright strike on your account.

Videos are not being removed en masse. It's still pretty shitty, but we should at least be clear on what's actually happening.

What it means you can't monetize the video unless you supply proof that you're allowed to. Some people have also successfully argued fair use, but that's on a case by case basis and not guaranteed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

By this logic, if you paycheque didn't clear for a few months, you'd just be "whining" because it's not like you're prevented from doing your job or anything, you just might not get paid.

Batigol

Banned

Yeah, don't see the problem with it really. You can still make videos

Yes, because if someone cut off your income, it wouldn't be a big deal, right?

It remains to be seen whether the income is due to you or not. By using other people's work without prior permission you are exposing yourself to such eventual issues.
Also, YouTube drastically improved the counter-notification system over the last 2 years and there is always a way to send a dispute; then again you have to act in good faith and provide written proof you're allowed to make commercial use of the content.

What it means you can't monetize the video unless you supply proof that you're allowed to. Some people have also successfully argued fair use, but that's on a case by case basis and not guaranteed.

Except that the ultimate decision is left to the company issuing the claim...and they're not exactly unbiased and have no incentive to allow it

Madao

lol and i was complaining about having 5 videos flagged.

clearly not a good thing. i wonder if there will be some sort of movement against this.

It remains to be seen whether the income is due to you or not. By using other people's work without prior permission you are exposing yourself to such eventual issues.

Except channels that have had permission are being affected too. And again, you don't need permission for "Fair Use," but the decision lies with the company issuing the claim, which is beyond silly.

Also, YouTube drastically improved the counter-notification system over the last 2 years and there is always a way to send a dispute; then again you have to act in good faith and provide written proof you're allowed to make commercial use of the content..

It's still a risk, as they threaten a strike if your counter is declined. 3 of those and it's bye-bye channel.

Kumubou

You are aware that a lot of these claims are completely illegitimate, right? They're just people/companies with accounts looking to claim videos that they have no IP rights to whatsoever in order to siphon off the advertising money to their account. So someone could put a video up for a game where the publishers have either implicitly or explicitly given permission to post (or even monetize) the content, but that won't stop other companies from submitting Content ID claims. Granted, these claims can be contested but Youtube's arbitration can be... arbitrary, and if you lose one you end up with a copyright strike (and three of those will kill an account).

Also correct me if I'm wrong but any video that is claimed... that company gets the revnue on your videos now. Please someone tell me I'm wrong... but if I'm not... HOLYSHIT.

Expect Marcus beer and the Total Biscuit guy to start going berserk on twitter, if they haven't already. Who can blame them?

Edit: Total Biscuit says he's actually recieved 0 content ID flags thanks to keeping his content PC focused.

All I can think when I look at that first pic is that the battery needs to be charged lol.

But seriously, Youtube is becoming ridiculous. I was already annoyed by all the constant nagging to link it to google+ and to use my real name and all that, now this crap comes up. It's like they're trying to hinder people from actually using the site.

Orayn

Also correct me if I'm wrong but any video that is claimed... that company gets the revnue on your videos now. Please someone tell me I'm wrong... but if I'm not... HOLYSHIT.

That depends on the content owner. Some just let you disable monetization entirely, others will automatically put their own ads on the video.

As I said previously, I am genuinely surprised Maker has not started a network-wide transition away from YouTube and onto Blip.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, I actually have some like this, but I'm not set up to get money. Guess it will just preemptively do it too.

Except channels that have had permission are being affected too. And again, you don't need permission for "Fair Use," but the decision lies with the company issuing the claim, which is beyond silly.

If you believe your Fair Use rights are not respected, you are free to go to court like some people have done in the past (cf. that Universal case with the Prince dancing video). But then it seems the same people who earn thousands of dollars per month of YouTube ad revenue don't want to.

zakislam

That's why all the YouTubers are complaining and freaking out. Apparently, that's exactly what it means. You don't get the revenue anymore but the company does.

So the rumors about the 2014 thing on gaming channels is looking more real. In a way, it is kind of wrong to make money off someone else's property but still, controlling everything and limiting what people can do and can't is shitty.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I still don't understand what publishers end game is for this. Do they feel they are losing money from these channels or something?

Interfectum

no revenue = less incentive to stream / talk about the game = less free marketing for publishers

Top Bottom