• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Game Room (CGR / CGR Undertow) leaves Youtube because of Content ID issues

Yes, really. :(

http://classicgameroom.com/forums/topic/how-does-the-content-id-claim-madness-affect-cgr/
Wind Squid (Mark of CGR) said:
All I can say at the moment is that it’s absurd. We’ve had content flagged that was sent to us by game publishers who are happy to see their video games reviewed!! The game companies are helping out and we’re fixing what we can on our end. CGR is journalism. We follow the law. This is YouTube’s issue, not the game companies.

You’ll see what Lord Karnage thinks of this soon.

Video (without the details in the post above):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kIrsw8-io

For now at least Mark has now moved to his own site, www.classicgameroom.com. He had a side before, I remember, but it kind of died for quite a while... well, it's back now, clearly The old reviews seem to still be there on Youtube, but the newest review, the one for Soldier Blade that he mentions in that video above, is on DailyMotion... or at least it's running in a DailyMotion player in the CGR page: http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/soldier-blade-pc-engine/

Very sad situation here... CGR is big enough that they probably will have some success on their own site and with this DailyMotion player, but for smaller people, this is probably the end, isn't it, unless something is done. Protecting copyright is one thing, destroying the ability of people to post video reviews, even videos that use content sent to CGR by publishers no less, is quite another.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Blip.tv and DailyMotion should and need to take advantage of this and host these guys. Blip.tv is already better for movie reviewers and more in touch when it came to copyright issues that youtube and they don't have a robot content system.

ibtV2moE02GfvK.gif

NOW it's fucking personal. More big channels need to leave.

Mark handled this admirably. If Youtube doesn't want them then fuck Youtube. Everyone should do this instead of desperately clinging on. That would send a much bigger impact as gaming videos are a huge part of Youtube. Every time I access the site when I'm logged out then all I see is Minecraft, Slender and Dota stuff.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Didn't Youtube just get a bunch of streamers back recently due to easing up on stuff a while back? Whelp they're gone now.

Eusis

Very sad situation here... CGR is big enough that they probably will have some success on their own site and with this DailyMotion player, but for smaller people, this is probably the end, isn't it, unless something is done. Protecting copyright is one thing, destroying the ability of people to post video reviews, even videos that use content sent to CGR by publishers no less, is quite another.
I'm feeling optimistic that many of the bigger guys will pitch in for the smaller guys; if there's reliable out then many will flock to it, and may get assistence for it.

I do kind of expect LP for profit to be done, though that's the case where a 50/50 revenue split is probably most justified given it's literally playing through a whole game and showing it to everyone.
You'd think he'd be pretty safe from publisher censorship since he likes pretty much every game.
It's sounding like this is more Youtube's problem, not necessarily the publishers. At most I can see publishers having issues with SOME videos then Google deciding to take the brute force option, almost like you hire someone to fix a rodent infestation and they do this by making the home toxic for anything to live in.

If you really want to be cynical though, I could see this as possibly Google seeing a lot of videos WITHOUT ad revenue but based on game footage, and seeing both a way to protect themselves and get money by going to publishers and getting them registered with content flagging so they'd all get hit with ads. Note that THEY approached Notch, and possibly Nintendo, over this.

ahuffman

Banned
Man Google is just finishing the destruction of YT that they started when they bought it. At least Mark and co have their own site, so we can continue to enjoy CGR!

Taker34

Banned
I probably just stop visiting YouTube since I used the site almost exclusively for gaming related stuff. Very unfortunate but this situation and the Google+ implementation are good reasons to follow channels like cgr on their own websites. No big loss for me.

xemumanic

This situation is as dumb as it gets. I keep thinking YouTube is doing this to appease groups like the MPAA, because many game companies have come out saying they didn't ask for this.

And if this was some sort of mistake, their statements yesterday killed any hope of that being the case.

I probably just stop visiting YouTube since I used the site almost exclusively for gaming related stuff. Very unfortunate but this situation and the Google+ implementation are good reasons to follow channels like cgr on their own websites. No big loss for me.

I also mainly go YouTube for gaming stuff. Is this is what they're gonna do, then fuck YouTube.

I hope there's a revolution, maybe like a torrent-streaming system with an HTML5 player that you can get ad-revenue from, and then everyone starts using it as a default player. To the cloud, fuck the assholes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CGR predates youtube. He's been doing videos for 15 years.

Hopefully this causes people to upload little videos to youtube telling people to go to their personal sites, where they can get proper ad revenue.

I LOVE CGR. YouTube, this just got personal. You are BUILT off of these chanels, AngryJoe, Bogie2998, and CGR. I subscribe and watch almost all of these guy's videos...and now you stab them in the back? I really hope something BIG happens. Something needs to change and someone needs to be fired.
edit: PewDiePie is the most subscribed channel on YouTube. What's going to happen to him?

Teknoman

Well guess i'll be signing up for mark's site. I wonder if pat, game chasers, clan of gray wolf, happy video game nerd, that turbo views guy, and more will move too?

Then again, alot of them also upload to punk effect.

wtf

Did something big happen today with youtube?

Yeah. Essentially, Content ID has been turned up and more claims have been going through, especially for fraudulent claims or stuff that contradicts previous agreements.

There's also been some sub-drama about multi channel networks (Machinima, Maker, FullScreen, RPM, Polaris etc) dividing their networks to managed channels (protected from Content ID, but has to share three copyright strikes between the other managed channels) and affiliates (which is everyone else, who has been stripped of the main benefit of partnering, which was protection from Content ID), but to the best of my knowledge CGR was not partners with any of them, so they simply went "screw YouTube" and left for their own site (and DailyMotion).

Eusis

I LOVE CGR. YouTube, this just got personal. You are BUILT off of these chanels, AngryJoe, Bogie2998, and CGR. I subscribe and watch almost all of these guy's videos...and now you stab them in the back? I really hope something BIG happens. Something needs to change and someone needs to be fired.
As big of a deal as this is and how troubling a precedent this can be for people trying to do video reviews and whatnot, let's be real here: YouTube probably built themselves more off of funny cat videos and Rickroll than guys playing games.

Theecliff

Banned
Holy shit, that sucks. Wasn't a big fan of some of the way he did reviews, but you could tell that he enjoyed what he did. This Youtube thing sounds fucking ridiculous.

Syf

Banned
YouTube's handling of this has been horrible. There's publishers out there working with the channels to get through all of the claims, but I don't understand why they were claimed in the first place if the publishers either don't care if the videos are posted or want them to be. Patiently awaiting a real YouTube alternative.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well guess i'll be signing up for mark's site. I wonder if pat, game chasers, clan of gray wolf, happy video game nerd, that turbo views guy, and more will move too?

Then again, alot of them also upload to punk effect.

Pat the nes punk already was on Blip.tv iirc so I guess he'll just return and focus on it.

Lame. Almost everything I'm subscribed to includes gameplay of games. Youtube can't ostracize EVERYONE who uploads gameplay..... Hopefully.

Top Bottom