• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excalibur: a NeoGAF Pathfinder Play by Post Campaign

<I could've sworn that the Rapier counted for your Dex ability, I remember even double checking it.>

((My dex to damage feat is dervish dance, which as written, only works with scimitars. If you want to change that to all finessable weapons though, you won't hear me complaining. It would actually be better since there is a new magic weapon ability for investigators, but it cannot be added to scimitars.))

((Cool.))

Draco swipes the scimitar that was never a rapier, which will functionally be a rapier in his hands anyways. Its heavier then his own, but it more then makes up for it with power so w/e.

((Yup, those are some good drops. Looks mostly like stuff for Draco, but no harm in asking who wants what/ what will get sold.))

By the time Tiberious gets back, the enemy drow is dead. Dreadstone and Draco appear to be having some kind of secretive conversation, probably about confusing smart people stuff. Before resuming training with his two new weapons, he goes over to congratulate Thaddeus. "Looks like that other drow was no threat after all! Well fought Thaddeus, nothing like a good deathmatch to calm the mind."

((Yup, those are some good drops. Looks mostly like stuff for Draco, but no harm in asking who wants what/ what will get sold.))

By the time Tiberious gets back, the enemy drow is dead. Dreadstone and Draco appear to be having some kind of secretive conversation, probably about confusing smart people stuff. Before resuming training with his two new weapons, he goes over to congratulate Thaddeus. "Looks like that other drow was no threat after all! Well fought Thaddeus, nothing like a good deathmatch to calm the mind."

Thaddeus looks at Leo and pauses to think. A queer sort of lopsided smile appears on his face. "Yes, I suppose so. A shame we can't celebrate over a drink in this town."

He hesitates again. "Perhaps I spoke too hastily by threatening your life last night. You are a good man, Leo, and I would prefer not to fight you to the death. You took me by surprise and I overreacted; I apologize. Let us save the... er... 'death matches' for the enemies who deserve it."

Leo winds up putting on a grin of his own. "No problem, Thad! When things get tense, stuff like that happens. May we cut down hundreds of Orphans and evil Thieves' Guild people in the near future! That should be more than enough to keep us from slaying each other. As for the drinks, I'm sure there'll be plenty in Alydar. We can make up for lost time then!"

If the party's about to leave, he'll head back to the wagon. If not, he'll go off to train with the mace and spear some more. Either way, any troubles with Thaddeus are resolved in his tiny brain now.

Thaddeus nods, finally catching his breath. He stands up taller and faces Dreadstone and Draco, in their huddle, and clears his throat. "Though I cannot abide the thought of an unscrupulous band of thieves raiding any sort of town for weapons and armour, the gentleman who offered to disguise our wagon as a traveling merchant band may be on to something. Shall we enlist his services and proceed to Alydar?"

Mike M

Nick N
Dreadstone turns to Thaddeus as Draco busies himself with the equipment plundered from the fallen Drow assailant. He cocks an eyebrow for a moment, unsure of what to make of the paladin's former demeanor making a reappearance, but senses that it would be unwise to draw attention to it and rock the boat.

Sometimes a man's just gotta work out his own issues in his own fashion. If anything, Thaddeus is to be commended for working through it so quickly. Meanwhile the tiefling has been dressing like the reaper and spooking the criminal element for decades like a little rich boy dressed as a bat on False Face Eve.

Dreadstone nods in agreement. "Let's see what these folk can do when they put their minds to doin' somethin' good for a change."

Once returned to the mess hall, the man, a fellow making himself as well dressed as the situation can allow, a guard uniform creatively converted into a dress coat by removing decorative and identifying markings, same for the hat. He is a pudgy one with a stache. He offers, "Like I was saying before, perhaps if we take your little puttering machine and give it some oxen, lift the wagon cover and put a rack to show off any weapons and armor you may not need; throw on a few disguises, we could surely fool or hell even attract some traders that want to out-fool us. We can smuggle you across the country for sure!"

<I don't know if I'll actually involve any disguise checks at the checkpoint, but if I do any extra weapons and armor added on are +5 to the bonus, as well as anybody that makes a good disguise check.>

"We need to get to Alydar," Thaddeus replies to the man immediately. "And as quickly as possible. Do what you need to set up, and let us hit the road."

Tiberious's attention is caught by the disguise talk. "Ooh, costumes? They're not a part of acting I dabble a lot, but I know a bit about throwing them together."

"Not to worry! The wagon curtain will only be pulled up just enough to show off the weapons, we'll need to keep that little singer hidden away, so do your best to hide."

<Yep. I can give circumstance bonuses if you are creative enough.

Also find something to do with Lovegood. Although Thaddeus' actions are questionable, he did traumatize her enough to be favorable in getting her to cooperate.>

Thaddeus still holds Lovegood in contempt and mostly just doesn't acknowledge her. Though he may have recovered from the initial boiling-over of rage, he is a changed man now, and holds very little sympathy for the brat.

Instead he busies himself with creating a passable disguise. He cuts his long locks of hair off, and then he stows his armor away and manages to procure a bit of makeup to try and alter his features.

Disguise check (1d20+3=4)

Unfortunately, deception of any sort has never been his strong suit....

Mike M

Nick N
Dreadstone studies the alterations made to the cart. A false wall cleverly conceals a space large enough for two with a hidden latch to allow entry and egress to the occupants. "You do nice work," he comments with genuine admiration to the former prisoner now serving as a carpenter of Freetown.

When the time comes to depart, Gnaw comes trotting up, his gray and white fur now dyed black by some brave soul. The dog circles the wagons, eying the oxen as he contemplates if he might be able to take them, as his tiefling partner looms over the now compliant Lovegood. "After you," he says flatly, nodding into the wagon.

Once he and Lovegood are in place, Dreadstone secures the hatch behind him. Dreadstone can see the girl trembling on her side of the wagon as easily as if it were broad daylight, but knows to her he must look like an inky blot, absorbing the faint rays of light that leak in. "Causin' trouble would go badly fer you," he warns. "Just sit tight an'stay quiet, an'you'll be just fine."

Code:
Stealth check:  1d20+18=35
((Does Gnaw need a roll?))

<Probably not, since an NPC would have dyed Gnaw for him.>

As Lovegood is brought into the hidden compartment with the tiefling, she asks bluntly, "What is to become of me?"

Tiberious goes off to dress up, throwing a long cloak over himself to cover nearly all of him and hunching a little to blur his height.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=74431]Perform (Disguise): 1D20 + 11 = [2]+11 = 13
[/url]
He then slips into a completely different sounding, rough accent.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=74432]Perform (Oratory): 1D20 + 17 = [9]+17 = 26
[/url]
"A'ight guys, for this 'ere ride, I ain't Tiberious. No, I'm Antonio Stoneshoe, your typical traveler headin' to Alydar."

With that, Tiberious makes his way into the back with the others.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=74433]Stealth: 1D20 + 1 = [10]+1 = 11
[/url]

Mike M

Nick N
<Probably not, since an NPC would have dyed Gnaw for him.>

As Lovegood is brought into the hidden compartment with the tiefling, she asks bluntly, "What is to become of me?"

"That's for me t'know an' you t'find out," Dreadstone snaps. "Now put a lid on it 'fore we need to escalate to forcible measures."

Dreadstone hopes Lovegood is sufficiently cowed, because he hasn't the foggiest notion of what they're supposed to do with their captive while they remain fugitives from justice themselves and doesn't feel like answering a bunch of questions about it.

As the party gets ready, the buggy's mechanical workings are quickly hidden under a box, and rigged with a wagon pull. Forrester adjusts her newly cleaned driving clothing, taking the reigns, "It's good to be working with you again, sirs!" The kobold, with a top hat on, chatters a bit and takes the reigns of another oxen.

Lovegood is silenced by the threat.

---

Days pass moving across the map. The disguised buggy has worked well so far even with some of the party members poorly obscured, allowing travel without notice by enemies. On one day the party makes it to the check point monitoring people crossing the river, and the guards there are quick to begin to look over the wagon as the man helping with the ruse begins explaining himself, "This is a family's business you see, trying to compete with the Dwarves at their own game. Competition is good for the consumer the smart ones say! No, I don't have a permit, since when are permits required? I thought this was a free market! What do you mean that was changed a decade ago?"

Dreadstone is still with Lovegood.

Mike M

Nick N
"Not a word outta you," Dreadstone hisses to Lovegood. He has one hand on his bow and another on the hidden latch, ready to spring into action if his companions aren't able to defuse the situation peacefully.

Tiberious resists the urge to come out swinging and looks to the others in the wagon, unsure of how to proceed. As quietly as he can manage, he asks, "I think they're catching on to us, what do we do now?"

Both men are interrupted by Draco's question, and the guard, a completely average human in a two piece uniform and hat answers, "It appears Mister.. Maestro, was it?, doesn't appear to have a permit to sell wares in this country, nor a pass to cross into the Eastern half of the country."

EDIT: <Completely relevant.>

Mike M

Nick N
((Stall him whil I forg–OH WAIT.

Anyone have a descent bluff or diplomacy score? Maybe do a sense motive to see if we can't just bribe them?))

Mike M

Nick N
Like a snake strike, Dreadstone's limbs wrap around the teenaged girl and clamps a hand over her mouth. He remains silent, the tips of his claws digging into her cheek speaking threat enough.

((Appropriate rolls? Are we formally initiating grapple here?))

((I'm not sure how successful diplomacy to get them to look the other way would be. Maybe a bluff that we've submitted the paperwork and were told by a fairly new clerk to come pick it up in Alydar? That might work. What's your bluff modifier again? I forget which one of us is higher.))

((7. not bad, but not great... probably good enough for a random toll booth guard are w/e he is.))

"Oh yes, sorry my good man. We, and I am truly embarrassed to admit this, lost our papers. We are actually on our way to pick up some new papers in Alydar... I realize this might be a bit troublesome, but if there is anyway we could convince you to let us through, we would be extremely grateful."

Bluff+Insp.: (1d20+7+1d6=13)

((Welp... here's hoping his sense motive sucks, and he rolls like crap. Or he's corrupt and takes a hint at the potential bribe.

...Having come from Alydar, would I have these papers? Or is it just for merchats?))

<@Dreadstone: she is grappled

@Draco: you'll probably need to somehow ICly find out if he can be bribed>

The man's eyes narrow, "Your good friend here was just acting like he didn't know what they are moments ago. You also seem quite familiar somehow. If you want to have a permit, you will need to obtain one in South Port."

...Having come from Alydar, would I have these papers? Or is it just for merchats?))
<It is just for merchants. You were able to get past this checkpoint before thanks to your military credentials which are now defunct.>

"That is... unfortunate. We aren't even really here on business. I was actually hoping to see some family in Alydar, but I wanted it to be a surprise. And its been so long since I've seen my uncle... I don't suppose there is anything we could do to convince you to let us pass, just this once? We don't even have many supplies on us to sell anyways and we could skip on buying anything while we are in town, if that'll make you feel better."

Bluff+insp: (1d20+7+1d6=21)

Seemingly unconvinced, he decides to come up with a compromise anyway, but one that benefits him more than you, "You alone can go back to the inn and pick up a ticket to ride to Alydar. The rest of you will have to get a permit to do business during war time."

<Sorry guys, I keep winning sense motive rolls.>

Top Bottom