• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG Bugbear's 'Next Car Game' has the most incredible destruction ever!

ASTROID2

This is just the best thing ever. I love the destruction.
2014-01-17_00001zms3c.jpg

aravuus

Oh snap, didn't realize you can already play the game with a controller!

The damage indicator seemed to have some problems on the derby I had just now. It's saying the front left of my car is undamaged, yet I looked like this
YJgBtwJ.jpg

Wish I could have gotten a proper screenshot of the state my car was when I wrecked the final opponent. The front was completely missing at that point, the car practically ended at the windscreen.

epmode

If you bought directly through Steam, you should have something called Next Car Game Sneak Peek 2.0 in your Steam library. If you bought from Bugbear's site, you have to install it from a zip file they mentioned in an email.

It's weird that they didn't give everyone a Steam key for the tech demo. Might just be a temporary issue.

Gangxxter

How is the handling of the cars compared to Flatout 1 and 2? Is it more challenging/realistic like in Flatout 1 or is it more action-oriented and easier like in Flatout 2?
Also, I saw an "Anti-spin" option in the Giant Bomb video. What does it do? Does it prevent your car from oversteering in curves?

Personally I enjoyed Flatout 2 way more than 1 because the handling was more action-oriented. But I heard that Next Car Game is going back to the roots and feels more like Flatout 1 so I'm not sure if I should buy the Early Access version or not.

Another question: Do I get both, the "Next Car Game Technology Sneak Peek 2.0" (the white test arena) and the "normal" sneak peak (destruction derby and races) when I buy it on Steam?

Aerocrane

How is the handling of the cars compared to Flatout 1 and 2? Is it more challenging/realistic like in Flatout 1 or is it more action-oriented and easier like in Flatout 2?
Also, I saw an "Anti-spin" option in the Giant Bomb video. What does it do? Does it prevent your car from oversteering in curves?

Personally I enjoyed Flatout 2 way more than 1 because the handling was more action-oriented. But I heard that Next Car Game is going back to the roots and feels more like Flatout 1 so I'm not sure if I should buy the Early Access version or not.

Another question: Do I get both, the "Next Car Game Technology Sneak Peek 2.0" (the white test arena) and the "normal" sneak peak (destruction derby and races) when I buy it on Steam?

You should get both the Early Access version and the Sneak Peek 2.0 as separate items in your Steam games list. To get a bit of a feel for the handling, you could download the free version of the Sneak Peek by signing up for their newsletter from their website.

Gangxxter

You should get both the Early Access version and the Sneak Peek 2.0 as separate items in your Steam games list. To get a bit of a feel for the handling, you could download the free version of the Sneak Peek by signing up for their newsletter from their website.
There is a free version of the Sneak Peek? Thanks, didn't know that, sweet! Will download that now.
Omg, that's really awesome, can't wait to try it!

Gangxxter

Just tried the free version and damn, this game is a lot of fun! Definitely buy the early access version now.
I like the handling of the cars, perfect mix between simulation and arcade racer. Not too difficult but still challenging (and I could only test it with a shitty laptop keyboard for now, it was still very good!).

If I buy it on their website (cheaper than Steam store), do I get Steam keys for both, the Sneak Peak 2.0 and the Early Access version?

I loved what I played of the game

and the little sandbox tech demo that comes with it as well. It is hilarious how smashed up you can get your car, yet it will still drive or at least rev. I think at one point it gets down to one wheel and the entire front end of the car gone, still revs.

I think early access is the new (and better) version of Kickstarter. That way you get something right away and have an idea of what the final product will be, besides a lick and a promise, per say.

Skyzard

Banned
Game looks awesome. Not getting bored of the physics I take it?

Jeff was a bit of a bummer to listen to on the Giantbomb video though!

Sentenza

Jeff was a bit of a bummer to listen to on the Giantbomb video though!
Are you talking about Jeff Gerstmann?
I didn't watch it so I'm not sure what you are referring about, but... Is he ever NOT a bummer to listen talking about any game?

Skyzard

Banned
Are you talking about Jeff Gerstmann?
I didn't watch it so I'm not sure what you are referring about, but... Is he ever NOT a bummer to listen talking about any game?

Lol I am, I don't know why but every now and then I look at him and think this guy is going to be awesome to listen to talk about games and then he just kills enthusiasm and I end up not returning to giantbomb for another a few months - I just figured it was my bad luck catching him at bad times, but maybe not?

He spent half of it sighing and basically wishing someone was making a destruction derby sim game instead, I felt for the other guy. Even when he was positive about it he was like "i'll take what I can get!" which is true but still, the game looks so awesome.

Probably a bit offtopic but damn.

He is right though, I totally wish someone would make a derby sim. There's has never been a realistic one, I guess it's not exciting enough for gaming. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction came the closest.

It would need slower speeds, tactical destruction (eg. where there is more to it than simply taking the engine out, like aiming at the wheels to stop the car from moving), rules (no hitting drivers side door, demolition derby specific upgrades (eg. extras batteries, moving exhaust from the edge of vehicles to stop it being pinched). I can only dream! Hopefully someone mods some more simesque features.

Shaneus

He is right though, I totally wish someone would make a derby sim. There's has never been a realistic one, I guess it's not exciting enough for gaming. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction came the closest.

It would need slower speeds, tactical destruction (eg. where there is more to it than simply taking the engine out, like aiming at the wheels to stop the car from moving), rules (no hitting drivers side door, demolition derby specific upgrades (eg. extras batteries, moving exhaust from the edge of vehicles to stop it being pinched). I can only dream! Hopefully someone mods some more simesque features.
No offense, but that sounds pretty damn boring. I love basically all driving games but I reckon I'd give that a pretty wide berth.

This game looks incredible. I loved the Flatout games to Bugbear and I'm an old Destruction Derby veteran, so this should be perfect!

jamsy

Except if there was such a game, your car would stop functioning after a single big hit. This does not sound fun. At all.

Skyzard

Banned
No offence taken, I understand its a pretty small market!

I mean it doesn't sound that bad... but this looks pretty amazing, how about some love (from Jeff).

The way he talked about having to slam on the brakes if it turns out you're going to collide with the drivers side - just makes it seem like a sim game would be so hard to judge...it would be a mess in the arena...but a strictly ruled mess lol. Know what I mean?

I guess if the cars were perhaps slower so you can time things better but it's hard to judge the slower speeds always in games for some reason, for me.

I dunno, maybe it might be good.

But anyway, glad this game features some destruction derby at least! My PC has been out of action for ages but subbed and keeping an eye on this game for when I'm back. Missing out on the new Trackmania 2 expansions too :'(

How'd they get the damage to look so good with this?

Flunkie

Banned
Bugbear is amazing. Flatout 1 is one of the absolute best games ever made. I've never seen a game more focused on having fun and you can tell the developers feel passionately about it, since all they're doing here is making a badassier version of FO1.

CLEEK

These are the wankers that killed off Ridge Racer with that Unbounded abomination, yeah?

The only damage model I want to see is the office of Bugbear being bulldozed, so they can never make another videogame.

These are the wankers that killed off Ridge Racer with that Unbounded abomination, yeah?

The only damage model I want to see is the office of Bugbear being bulldozed, so they can never make another videogame.

xD

i miss ridge racer:( (and wipeout,and rollcage, and extreme g3 and f zero and the CMR games)
the psp games and rr4 were awesome as was rage racer

I remember flatout as some B tier ish game (b tier for its time, now i'd love a game half as fun as the first flatout when I look at rivals or hot pursuit 2012 etc...) so never bothered with the sequels but this looks pretty cool, reminds me of destruction derby

How can it have been killed if another entry in the series came out after it? Stop being an idiot.

slapnuts

This game looks incredible. I loved the Flatout games to Bugbear and I'm an old Destruction Derby veteran, so this should be perfect!

Yeah same here...i been a big fan of the flatout games even though they were never super popular...i remember how impressed i was with Flatout Ultimate....these guys know how to make nice looking racers. Nice to see them bring out a next gen flatout type game again...going to put my 3770K to some use finally...along with my 7970

Bugbear is amazing. Flatout 1 is one of the absolute best games ever made. I've never seen a game more focused on having fun and you can tell the developers feel passionately about it, since all they're doing here is making a badassier version of FO1.
They have a stellar track record too. Flatout 1 & 2, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (great 'reworked' or modernized version of 2 outside of GFWL), SEGA Rally on the PSP and Ridge Racer: Unbounded were all fantastic racing games with their own share of innovations. A shame Unbounded's track creator went unrecognized, for that matter.

Or you can stop being an ignorant cunt, considering Namco approached Bugbear (not the other way around) to make a Ridge Racer spin-off in that style. Not mainline entry, spin-off.

Not their fault they did what they were paid to do (and doing so competently) over a publisher's misguided priorities and insistence to cash-in on established IP's in any way possible, even if the end result isn't remotely similar to its legacy games.

DBT85

11849280864_82dc87fb8e_o.gif

Since the rest of the gifs are pretty big ~30MB I'll just link them.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/11848567685_9c8aa9ee8b_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/11849901844_f3195bfa34_o.gif
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/11850290646_6178026531_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/11850279196_8fa2e7a5c6_o.gif

Can't wait until there's more to this game. Some of these crashes kinda reminds me of that first Motorstorm trailer when the yellow car crashes at the end.

My brother and I pooled the vouchers we got from a relative one Christmas to buy Destruction Derby. I don't remember how I bought many other games. That should speak volume as to how much I want a new one.

aravuus

Jesus fucking christ, the ignorance

Having played this now im in two minds:

One part of me fucking loves it, because i was a huge fan of DD2 back in the day, and this is essentially a spiritual sequel to DD2. The physics are glorious and the destruction is a boatload of fun.

The other part of me remembers that in DD2, it was next to impossible to win a race by racing. The crash happy AI, massive pile-ups, and car damage meant that in any race, you would more than likely get rammed off the track at the first corner leaving you trailing by miles. Or youd have lost a wheel by lap 2. The only way to win in DD2 was to lie in wait on the track and tray to wreck your opponents as they came around, and get a high enough score to win by default. And so far, NCG is exactly like that, i havent come first in any races due to being rammed or running into a pile up. The best i managed was 2nd place, and even then i had to do a massive shortcut to catch up with the leaders after i got rammed into a signpost.

The derbys are impossible to win unless you just actively avoid all the other cars, wait for them to smash each other up, and then go for the last car. Otherwise youll just wreck your own car long before the others do. Which kinda defeats the purpose of a destruction derby.

Theres plenty of time yet for development, and its looking awesome so far, i jsut hope they make it so that racing is a viable option to win

Riggs

Banned
Wow I missed this! Money spent I am a complete and total physics whore so I imagine this will be quite a bit of fun.

jet1911

The engine is probably not optimise for that but I'd love to see an Hulk game with this kinf od destruction. Punching through building, throwing and kicking cars into big destructible skyscrapper. Now I'm sad that it won't happen. :(

A shame Unbounded's track creator went unrecognized, for that matter.
This game could do with one of those I reckon. Or rather, letting you place objects on the existing tracks and arenas. With all the nonsense that's on the test arena you could make some stupid shit happen.
But yeah, with Unbounded's editor not catching on I don't think they'd be too keen on trying that again. Half the point of that stuff is sharing with other players, and online activity is never a sure thing.

The test arena playable in multiplayer, that should happen.

Having played this now im in two minds:

One part of me fucking loves it, because i was a huge fan of DD2 back in the day, and this is essentially a spiritual sequel to DD2. The physics are glorious and the destruction is a boatload of fun.

The other part of me remembers that in DD2, it was next to impossible to win a race by racing. The crash happy AI, massive pile-ups, and car damage meant that in any race, you would more than likely get rammed off the track at the first corner leaving you trailing by miles. Or youd have lost a wheel by lap 2. The only way to win in DD2 was to lie in wait on the track and tray to wreck your opponents as they came around, and get a high enough score to win by default. And so far, NCG is exactly like that, i havent come first in any races due to being rammed or running into a pile up. The best i managed was 2nd place, and even then i had to do a massive shortcut to catch up with the leaders after i got rammed into a signpost.

The derbys are impossible to win unless you just actively avoid all the other cars, wait for them to smash each other up, and then go for the last car. Otherwise youll just wreck your own car long before the others do. Which kinda defeats the purpose of a destruction derby.

Theres plenty of time yet for development, and its looking awesome so far, i jsut hope they make it so that racing is a viable option to win

That is a potential problem and was a problem in previous Flatouts. As the competition ramped up and it became more important to race properly, the unpredictable chaos became less fun and more frustrating. Creating a fair challenge in a game like this is a challenge. The chaos of the random physics and aggressive AI is what makes the game what it is, actual proper racing isn't what these games have excelled at. So I'd rather the difficulty was more on the lenient side, or at least have options for making it so.

Flunkie

Banned
They have a stellar track record too. Flatout 1 & 2, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (great 'reworked' or modernized version of 2 outside of GFWL), SEGA Rally on the PSP and Ridge Racer: Unbounded were all fantastic racing games with their own share of innovations. A shame Unbounded's track creator went unrecognized, for that matter.

Or you can stop being an ignorant cunt, considering Namco approached Bugbear (not the other way around) to make a Ridge Racer spin-off in that style. Not mainline entry, spin-off.

Not their fault they did what they were paid to do (and doing so competently) over a publisher's misguided priorities and insistence to cash-in on established IP's in any way possible, even if the end result isn't remotely similar to its legacy games.
I like you.

just a reminder that the sales promotion ends tomorrow for those that haven't gotten it yet, best 25$ I've spent on a game in a while.

Man, so much of this game is basically about matching up to CGI or target demo trailers where so cool shit would happen.

This one reminds me of the Motorstorm trailer:
iH6FnvqogSoNL.gif

Aerocrane

Communication from Bugbear has been lacking since the Early Access release, but with this blog post titled "Weekly Report" hopefully we will have more information about future updates regularly.

New blog post detailing an update coming next week:
Team Bugbear said:
The second update is incoming next week, and it will contain some great new content as well as significant gameplay improvements. The highlights include a completely new cinematic camera mode for taking great screenshots, highly customizable races with both lap and opponent count settings, rotating steering wheels, a plenty of new upgrade parts such as different types of differentials, another chase camera higher and further back, more precise gameplay damage, as well as a hefty amount of small but important improvements and tweaks. More about the details next week!

One thing that we know many of you are anxiously waiting for are new cars, and we’re happy to let you know that the update will see an addition of a typical 80s style American sedan. It has more weight to it than either of the cars that are now included while it’s perhaps not as maneuverable. We’re pretty confident that it will offer a great new race and derby experience. Naturally the car comes with a set of upgrade parts.

And that’s not all. A figure 8 style track is probably something that many players will consider as *the* derby track, so we thought we’d put one in! That’s right, the next update will contain a modified version of the derby arena with a figure 8 track built inside it. The space is pretty confined so speeds never get that high, but imagine the chaos and destruction with all 24 cars going after each other in such a small space!

04.png

Top Bottom