• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA: Release of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter postponed

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nintendo Official Website

Pokémon Bank Announcement
Release of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter postponed due to a large volume of traffic to the Nintendo Network service

Information:
Nintendo and The Pokémon Company International have postponed the launch of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter - two software applications that were originally scheduled to launch for Nintendo 3DS on Dec. 27 - due to a large volume of traffic to the Nintendo Network service. Due to the high traffic, players are having trouble setting up Nintendo Network IDs and downloading content in the Nintendo eShop on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. We truly regret the inconvenience, and wish to reassure everyone that providing a solution is our top priority. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience.

Not unexpected. Many of the eShop troubles seem to have started with the release in Japan, with people needing an NNID to download Bank/Transporter. They wouldn't want to release this until they're sure things have been stabilized.

Firestorm

Honestly, there's a reason no technology company in the world releases something major after the first week or so of December. Right now Nintendo is scrambling to get their network up and running with minimal staff due to the holidays. Not sure why they thought trying to launch their very first cloud storage system for their biggest current release between Christmas and New Years was a good idea.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised but it's a little annoying being unable to finish up my team. Hope this gets fixed soon... Aside from the Chicago grassroots tournament this weekend, we're just 2.5 weeks away from the first Regional Championship for X and Y.

Griss

Not good, but getting the eShop up and running has to be the priority. Pokefans can certainly wait for Pokebank.

I will miss the purity of the first two months of Pokemon X and Y, where every monster you saw was a non-hacked, 3DS-only beast, and the game seemed so fair because of it.

Rich!

Honestly, there's a reason no technology company in the world releases something major after the first week or so of December. Right now Nintendo is scrambling to get their network up and running with minimal staff due to the holidays. Not sure why they thought trying to launch their very first cloud storage system for their biggest current release between Christmas and New Years was a good idea.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised but it's a little annoying being unable to finish up my team. Hope this gets fixed soon... Aside from the Chicago grassroots tournament this weekend, we're just 2.5 weeks away from the first Regional Championship for X and Y.

I guess they believed Microsoft's claims of the infinite power of the cloud.

I just realized something: The real reason the Nintendo forced 3DS users sign up a NNID account in last firmware upgrade was to mitigate the massive downtime seen in this Christmas and the release of Pokebank. Too bad it didn't help much.

The Lamp

Wait what? My friend who doesn't follow games at all told me like 4 or 5 days ago that this was being delayed past its original date. Was it only officially announced right now?

The network traffic sounds like a cop-out excuse because it wasn't this way a few days ago when my friend told me it was going to be delayed.

Clov

Ugh, this sucks. I was really looking forward to bringing my old team into the new game. Worst of all there isn't even a new date given. I just hope it's up the moment the eShop is fully functional again. Ugh.

backlot

Wait what? My friend who doesn't follow games at all told me like 4 or 5 days ago that this was being delayed past its original date. Was it only officially announced right now?

The network traffic sounds like a cop-out excuse because it wasn't this way a few days ago when my friend told me it was going to be delayed.

I think your friend was making stuff up. Pokemon Bank was actually already released in Japan and was just recently pulled from the eShop after this mess started.

Cbajd5

No, it was released in Japan for a bit and people were able to transfer some of their Pokemon before the all of nintendo's online stuff was basically knocked out by the number of people trying to get that/download ALBW in Japan/Christmas. They then took it off the eShop in Japan and delayed it here.

Your friend's just locally psychic or something.

The Lamp

No, it was released in Japan for a bit and people were able to transfer some of their Pokemon before the all of nintendo's online stuff was basically knocked out by the number of people trying to get that/download ALBW in Japan/Christmas. They then took it off the eShop in Japan and delayed it here.

Your friend's just locally psychic or something.

Well that's weird. His exact words were "Did you hear the news about Pokebank? It was delayed :("

And I was like "What? Really?"

"Yeah it sucks. I was wanting to transfer my Pokemon. No date yet. We'll have to wait I guess."

Usually I'm the one that brings him gaming news. Strange.

Sandfox

I'm expecting it to hit the week after New Years but it sucks that it has been delayed. I already got most of want I wanted via GTS so I'm not in a rush.

Cbajd5

Well that's weird. His exact words were "Did you hear the news about Pokebank? It was delayed :("

And I was like "What? Really?"

"Yeah it sucks. I was wanting to transfer my Pokemon. No date yet. We'll have to wait I guess."

Usually I'm the one that brings him gaming news. Strange.

I'm tellin' ya, he's locally psychic. Ask him for some lottery numbers near something that would have winning lottery numbers on it in the future.

Roto13

Between bundling digital versions of what should be physical games with their new hardware and releasing Pokemon Bank on their servers' busiest day of the year, it's like they were specifically trying to bring the whole thing down.

Do new Wii U's still have to download that giant firmware update?

ffdgh

Between bundling digital versions of what should be physical games with their new hardware and releasing Pokemon Bank on their servers' busiest day of the year, it's like they were specifically trying to bring the whole thing down.

Yeah my NSMBU bundled wii u did but thankfully I did it earlier this December.

Probably, since before holidays the system was essentially stillborn. I doubt there were very many new units on shelves.

Very strange that they delayed this, but not the new eshop games released today like Mario Tennis GBC. If Nintendo delays anything pokemon related, you know its serious.

JoeM86

Very strange that they delayed this, but not the new eshop games released today like Mario Tennis GBC. If Nintendo delays anything pokemon related, you know its serious.

Not really. As I noted in the first thread about the removal and delay, within 5 minutes of it coming out on the Japanese eShop, it slowed to a crawl. It begun the massive Nintendo Network downtime. As it uses both the NNID server and the eShop server in addition to any standalone server it uses. As such, it created the high demand.

On their own, Pokémon Bank would cause strain on the server, as would Christmas. Both happened this time with Christmas following Bank.

Nintendo didn't just delay it on a whim, they did it because it killed the Nintendo Network

What would be the solution here? To release Pokémon Bank in each country step-by-step to ease the server load? It was already released in Japan, but if they pulled it off there too, then that means we're back to square one. Hopefully the release dates aren't too far off.

Sandfox

What would be the solution here? To release Pokémon Bank in each country step-by-step to ease the server load? It was already released in Japan, but if they pulled it off there too, then that means we're back to square one. Hopefully the release dates aren't too far off.

Apparently its already back up in Japan and I'm guessing the delay in the west is only going to be a few days.

That sucks. I actually stopped playing Y after beating it and planned to pick it back up when Pokebank came out. I guess I'll just play some other games.

Fandangox

That's pretty bad.

Good news is that some kind soul wonder traded me a Cindaquill making me one step closer to getting my dreamed 6 fire starter team.

Top Bottom