This has been a troubled year for the still relatively young music game franchise, and unfortunately for the most part the news has not been good. I'll start by recapping what we know:
- After many delays due to reasons beyond Pentavision Global's control, DJMAX Technika Tune for the PS VITA comes out a few months behind schedule. It fails to attract any retail attention, with neither Amazon nor GameStop stocking even a single copy, and is sold almost exclusively through technikatune.com and PSN.
- Pentavision Global's community manager, Eddie, leaves the company shortly after Technika Tune's release, and the DJMAX Facebook page goes largely silent.
- After a long silence, a new product is finally unveiled: DJMAX Technika Q for iOS and Android. Notably, Pentavision's branding is nowhere to be found; Neowiz had acquired Pentavision some time ago but this is the first instance where they did not use the brand.
- Technika Q's release in Korea comes and goes, and absolutely nothing is spoken as to releases outside of that country.
- Planetboom, a long time member of the DJMAX development team, reveals in November he has left the company, and that no one else from the DJMAX team remains. Some content has been left in Neowiz's hands for future updates, but the future of the series is up in the air.
- Earlier this month, shocking everyone, the game's Japanese publisher, CyberFront, is suddenly and without warning dissolved by their parent company.
- Neowiz announces that they are pulling the plug on all online services for DJMAX Technika (arcade) and Trilogy. The server shutdown has occurred, and as feared, no end-of-life patch to the game was applied, meaning close to 80% of DJMAX Technika's content is now completely inaccessible.
- Yesterday, after sporadic updates, the DJMAX Facebook posts this. Subtle, no?
And in comments:
Hello everyone. I am Jinho from South Korea, mother country of PENTAVISION. Thanks to Eddie, I became another administrator with Eddie. It's great to see all you guys. Since PENTAVISION disappeared, DJMAX series was maintained really hard by some members from PENTAVISION. In 2013.12.31 AM10:00 KST, DJMAX TECHNIKA's PLATINUM CREW(Online service) stopped operating and also DJMAX Trilogy's server was closed too. I'm really sorry that only remaining DJMAX is now DJMAX TECHNIKA Q which is on iOS/Android. I will update some news for DJMAX TECHNIKA Q and I can help you about having problems to play with. Also, I will upload new songs for TECHNIKA Q. For last, I am not directly related to PENTAVISION or NEOWIZ MOBILE so Me and Eddie cannot respond to the TECHNIKA TUNE's DLC release.... So sorry for that...
Because I am not company official, I cannot tell you about the plan. But 'There is NO DEVELOPERS OF TECHNIKA / TECHNIKA TUNE in NEOWIZ NOW'. I feel really sorry for it :( DLC may not available for older products of TECHNIKA.
One can only hope this series goes out with a bang rather than a whimper, but at this point, I'm not optimistic.
Because I'm not a member of NEOWIZ mobile, I cannot tell you exactly. Through tweets of Xeronion, NEOWIZ is still thinking to publish game globally.(I saw tweets about they are positively thinking of publighing to another country) In the game data file, English and some other language support file had been founded. Maybe It can come out.(This is not the company's official opinion)
EDIT 1/26/2014: Since the last timeline update, what used to be the official DJMAX Facebook page run by Pentavision Global was renamed by their administrators, and the Facebook alias was changed to djmaxfanpage to reflect its change in status. At some point after this renaming, someone not affiliated with Pentavision Global nor Neowiz created a new page with the old djmaxofficial alias, as it had been vacated due to the rename. Do not treat "djmaxofficial" as a reliable source of information.
In the meantime, it appears many of DJMAX's developers have gathered and formed a team named "Nurijoy". They won't be able to use the DJMAX name without Neowiz, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this...
Links above have been updated to once again link to the correct posts as the URLs have changed due to the renaming.
EDIT 12/21/2014: Information above is a bit dated since this thread is from last year, but a basic summary of events since:
- A company formed by former DJMAX devs, Nurijoy, develops and premieres a new arcade music game, Beatcraft Cyclon. Many musicians who contributed to the DJMAX series are supporting the new game. Notably, it is designed as an upgrade for existing DJMAX Technika cabinets, though it does not share the same gameplay mechanics.
- Neowiz Mobile eventually did release DJMAX Technika Q outside of Korea for Android and iOS.
- A third party succeeds in (mostly) reverse engineering the DJMAX Technika 3 server protocol and launches an unofficial server, reenabling the content previously rendered inaccessible by the official server shutdown.