• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Deadpool, Spider-Man, and X-Men games disappear from digital stores

Update:

Oh man, I didn't catch this earlier, apparently a few Spider-Man and X-Men games were also taken off Xbox Live and PSN. This was posted by the Activision Community Manager, Dan Amrich.

https://twitter.com/OneOfSwords/status/418444711305940992

Yea, looks like it is all the Marvel stuff.

9nDLrLf.png

Game Informer has a confirmation from Activision:

Activision has confirmed that Deadpool is gone for good. We've also learned that other titles have been removed from their respective digital delivery services.

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, X-Men: The Official Game, X-Men Destiny, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine have now been removed from storefronts. If you have a desire for any of these games, it's recommended that you secure a retail copy as soon as possible. It's likely that no additional copies will be entering retail channels.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...disappeared-from-steam-xbox-live-and-psn.aspx

----

As title. It appears that Activision really cheaped out on the licence. If you want it digitally, Steam keys are still available in sites such as Gamefly, but be quick about it.

Astarte

Is the game any good from a gameplay perspective?

Not really. Everything just feels pretty loose, but if you're a Waypool fan go for it. If you're a fan of Deadpool before Daniel Way got his grubby mitts on him, then skip out.

Saiyan-Rox

that explains it's sudden vanishing act in the community vote earlier. lucky thing I bought it for £6 on GMG yesterday I guess?

Is the game any good from a gameplay perspective?

Nope. It's kinda like Wolverine's Origins, but the combat isn't as good. Actually the game is kinda annoying to play. I got shot up so much that I spent most of my time behind corners healing, or shooting people as much as I can.

The cutscenes, and Deadpool's humor is worth it. That's one thing that was really great about the game. Deadpool really had me laughing a couple of times.

Amazingly funny game and a real blueprint on how a Deadpool movie could be done, but the gameplay, graphics, level design and bosses were shit.
A game made on the cheap for sure, it's no surprise Acti didn't invest in a long license.

High Moon made two great Transformers games, but after Deadpool and then seeing their studio in the credits for COD:Ghosts, I guess Acti is not interested in using their talents in the right way. Sad.

Cardon

It's kind of a shame that this game didn't get more of a buzz going. Sure, the gameplay isn't great as it is rather mediocre (camera and shooting controls are awful), but the writing, acting, and comedic tone is absolutely priceless at times.

Gartooth

If your a fan of Deadpool and considering this game then do yourself a favor and skip it anyway. Easily worst game I've played this year on Steam and the only positive was some of the gags which could just as easily be watched online.

Icarus

Marvel licenses are really expensive and the term starts when development starts, not when the game comes out.

Assuming two years of dev, which isn't that long and a year on shelf, you're at a 3 year term. If the game performed well enough, they could have negotiated an amendment to the original term though that probably wasn't possible. I don't believe the game's sales set the world on fire.

Grayman

I had some fun with the game and it wasn't terrible. I actually bought the map pack or whatever it was during this sale so hopefully that activates.

Astarte

If your a fan of Deadpool and considering this game then do yourself a favor and skip it anyway. Easily worst game I've played this year on Steam and the only positive was some of the gags which could just as easily be watched online.

I'm a fan of Deadpool, but I hated this game. It's not the Deadpool I'm a fan of, really. It's just that lolsowackyXD humor that was ingrained in the character since Way influenced the character. He's been on the road to recovery since then, but jesus christ.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It wasn't amazing, but the game was funny if you like Way's Deadpool and Nolan North's voice acting. It felt like a B-movie experience, exactly what I look for in Deadpool anyway.

Orayn

Acti is one of the publishers most likely to do this. They delisted their licensed Shrek games from Steam, which is a shame because they stand to gain a small amount of money from my ironic purchases of them.

EDIT: Or it could be a Marvel thing, I guess? Didn't think it would affect a game released so recently.

Grayman

Acti is one of the publishers most likely to do this. They delisted their licensed Shrek games from Steam, which is a shame because they stand to gain a small amount of money from my ironic purchases of them.

EDIT: Or it could be a Marvel thing, I guess? Didn't think it would affect a game released so recently.

Other Marvel licenses have been pulled recently too. There may be a Disney thing going on.

Gartooth

I'm a fan of Deadpool, but I hated this game. It's not the Deadpool I'm a fan of, really. It's just that lolsowackyXD humor that was ingrained in the character since Way influenced the character. He's been on the road to recovery since then, but jesus christ.

Oh I agree, if anyone is looking for a mature Deadpool story you certainly won't get it here, in fact you could say this game doesn't even have one. I'm not a fan of Waypool either but a few of the jokes got me.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Good thing I bought it before the take down. That license ran out really quick though, yikes.

Pingoreous

Wow Disney is rounding up all the Marvel properties. I wonder what they are trying to do. Sony and Fox will never give them back the rights for Spiderman/x-men/fantastic four movies. I guess they trying to prevent that from happening again with all the Marvel properties. Just another reason to buy physical media.

Top Bottom