• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Spazznid

<3

11699959714_8b1a41a761_o.png

11700347296_e7c2771144_o.png

11699831573_fcc6ccf122_o.png

11699586345_d486368dae_o.png

RedSwirl

The gist of it is that JPEG will pretty much always be lower, but depending on quality, it can be nearly imperceptible or it can be hugely evident.

A max quality JPEG is near indistinguishable from a lossless PNG file.

The main problem with that is that most image hosts do NOT support maximum quality JPEG files and add compression.

Here's an example. Click the images to view them full size.

For this post, I will be using Sta.sh as the lossless host and Imgur as the lossy host. Imgur used to be MUCH worse in terms of compression but they've been stepping their game up lately, compressing images less and allowing larger files to be hosted there.

Here's the lossless PNG uploaded to a lossless host as a reference image.

Here's a max quality JPEG uploaded to a lossless host.

Now here's that max quality JPEG uploaded to a lossy site.

Now here is an example of the difference between the original image, and the ones being hosted on both the lossless site and the lossy site.

Holy shit. Looking at this on a TV, I literally can see no difference between any of the Tomb Raider shots. Not even the lossy ones. It's probably because I have this TV's sharpness at near zero. It's a necessity for when I have to run 720p console games that have no AA on this display.

image.php

This is the ENB and vegetation mod you posted in the last thread right? Can you go ahead and re-link it? I need to keep that on reference for the next time I install FO3. How much impact does that ENB have on performance?

Jesus Christ. What is that water mod?!

Spazznid

Whoa, how do you take shots like these? Is there a free roam camera or something?

If by Free raom you mean Parkour, then yes. I get in to tight spaces and use the Scoped weapons and the Scanner to take my shots. It unfortunately messes with the color grading and isn't exactly what the colors look like in gameplay. But it's the only way I can think of to snap shots without my character in the way.

here's some more!

11702473316_35c9d6c539_o.png

11702472876_efd822642f_o.png

One3rd

Such a cool space ninja!

Some quick snaps. Sucks that I cant create single player bot matches like I could in the original.

11696990173_9a195fb917_o.jpg

11696752925_dbf63c5c25_o.jpg

The clipping is so bad in this game. That sword is attached to his side yet it's slicing right through him...
Try below from this post;

To set a local server with any map you want AND bots AND have all the screenshot binds available, you will need to do the following.

1. Open the console using the tilde (~) key.
2. Type "open <map name>" to start the map that you want. List of map names and other server commands can be found in the SDK documentation in this post.
3. Add bots by typing "addbots 10", and do this multiple times for more bots! Not sure how we can define the class and loadout of these yet so they are random for now. [anyone know how to do this?]

Vin Diesel is one awesome guy. Just sayin'.
Game still holds up really well, was incredible for it's time. Still a great game today.
Couldn't agree more with both of these statements. I really wish the new Riddick game they are working on ends up being SP rather than an MMO. IMO, the character Riddick made the game(s) not the mercenary environment it was set in.

Wanny

This is the ENB and vegetation mod you posted in the last thread right? Can you go ahead and re-link it? I need to keep that on reference for the next time I install FO3. How much impact does that ENB have on performance?

ENB itself is actually not that bad. It's when you go into higher resolutions and higher ugrid that it can get ugly. Vegetation mod is Flora Overhaul and it's quite lightweight surprisingly. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19864/? There are many presets too.

edit: This is the greener version.

n1fgo4g.png

n2ftpva.png

Top Bottom