• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
Far Cry 1 and 2 are 75% off today.

Is Far Cry 2 decent? I enjoyed Far Cry 1 (whenever it came out), but I did not care for Far Cry 3 that much (felt too much like Assassin's Creed and the game becomes crazy easy too soon)

Always a good time to throw some love at Theme Hospital. That game was one of a number of childhood defining titles.

I tried playing it yesterday and I had no idea what I was doing, I probably should had click on the "First Game?" option whenever I was starting up my game, lol

Linkark07

Banned
Even though I promised I wouldn't buy anymore games I still bought some.

Bought Caesar III, Zeus, Unreal Tournament 99 and Far Cry.:(

Is Far Cry 2 decent? I enjoyed Far Cry 1 (whenever it came out), but I did not care for Far Cry 3 that much (felt too much like Assassin's Creed and the game becomes crazy easy too soon)

To me, yes, it's a masterpiece. The atmosphere and tension are unparalleled.

To a lot of others, no; it's terrible shit. They hate it. It's very difficult to know which camp you'll fall in.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
When it came out, I described Far Cry 2 as "the worst purchase I have ever made." In retrospect, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But it wasn't a good time. The gunplay was passable, but the game's progression was really messed up. They made open-world gameplay less like Far Cry and more like Oblivion, which basically sapped any sort of satisfaction out of it. Far Cry 1's open world gameplay served to let you tackle enemies in a variety of different ways, but did so without sacrificing direction. Regardless of how you approach a level, you know what your goal is every step of the way. Far Cry 2, by comparison, feels utterly aimless. And it got repetitive as shit after the first hour.

I am a huge fan of Far Cry 1, and I don't want to write another tirade on why it's great, so I won't. But it's one of my favorite shooters ever. Great gunplay, expert use of an open-world, and plenty of variety in the sorts of challenges you'll face. Some people don't like the Trigens, but to them I say "man the fuck up."

mclem

Apparently today's release will be Fract OSC (For now linking to the Eurogamer review), not coming out until this evening.

There's also a Twitch Q&A at about the same time. I'm not really getting a feeling that it's leading into a big announcement, but it's not impossible.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why would you ever play a permadeath run of a game with infinite respawn/random aggro spawn enemies.

Danny Dudekisser

No new release today? Or maybe it'll be some kind of late afternoon release again.

Anyway, I watched GOG's Twitch Q&A yesterday. They didn't really say anything outside of the obvious. No new game/publisher announcements, at least -- just the standard "we're working on it" line.

Also, after seeing Bloodrayne Betrayal get announced for PC yesterday, I really want Bloodrayne Betrayal on GOG. Majesco already published the shitty original ones there, so maybe now we can get the good one!

Hopefully...

mclem

They spoke about it during the Twitch Q&A. Apparently they thought they were making real progress with Lucasarts... then Disney happened. They're still going through the motions, but they're now having to sell the idea of GoG to different people, and it set them back somewhat.

At least, I assume that's what the post refers to. I don't see it on GoG itself.

Edit: It's on facebook, and it is referencing the Q&A

Catshade

Free Dracula 5 for anyone who has Dracula 4. Got Dracula 4 in a previous Indie Gala, so that's technically one freebie this week.

Minsc

Gold Member

DS42MLO.png

oXcyKJq.png

VEPFi5t.png

Three more this week, and catching up with a lot more that didn't make the cut. First, those that did:

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena got some mention in this thread, and I know people enjoyed the original game, but it seems there's quite a good value here with the 2 games for 1 package, as Dark Athena also gets its share of love. Generally the first game gets points for being the first, and having the prison settings which some people find more enjoyable, and the second gets points for better design and being a bit friendlier. Both have high marks for the story telling / atmosphere / voice-acting, but some people found them to have aged a bit compared to modern day stealth gameplay. Still, most people find them enjoyable, so on to the list they go.

Blackwell Bundle gets on the list due to the new game bringing my attention to the older ones. Very, very high praise, if you haven't played them, and like adventure games, time to fix that. Hardly any negative comments, and most comments are along the lines of "best adventure game series since the golden years." Well written, and each game in the series is generally seen as better than the last. The first four included in the bundle, with the newest / final as a separate purchase.

And lastly for the recommended list, time has given us enough impressions to add Age of Wonders 3. Again very high praise, most people find it very addicting, with that hard to stop playing / I didn't notice the last 6 hours pass experience. Only real complaints were performance (which was largely fixed with patches) and that it lacks some content when compared to Shadow Magic, but that is generally forgivable being Shadow Magic built off an existing product, and this is just a base game... but a very complete one. Visuals are also often praised, and the combat is a bit hit or miss between people, but more hit than miss this time.

Now for the stuff that didn't make the list (there's actually a decent amount, so I'll just list them):
- The Last Federation (too new for enough impressions, revisit later)
- The Samaritan Paradox (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- Redline (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- FRACT OSC (too new for enough impressions, revisit later)
- Sudeki (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- Blackwell Epiphany (too new for enough impressions, revisit later)
- Dracula 4-5 (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- Tower of Guns (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- Escape Goat 2 (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)
- Ether One (didn't make the cut / not enough impressions)

epmode

I'm glad I made it into the Blackwell blurb! I really love those games.

BTW, I just finished Epiphany and it's the best in the series.

Danny Dudekisser

Riddick totally deserves to be recommended. What a fantastic game. I thought that it was supposed to disappear sometime soon, though... Wasn't it? I know it got delisted from steam at least...

Well, whatever. Glad I bought it on GOG.

Cheddahz

Banned
Riddick totally deserves to be recommended. What a fantastic game. I thought that it was supposed to disappear sometime soon, though... Wasn't it? I know it got delisted from steam at least...

Thanks for reminding me that I bought it on GOG a while back, I need to get around to it sometime

Persona7

Banned

I think it was pulled from steam due to a issue with the DRM or something like that. There was a period with Atari having issues and games were going to be pulled but I don't think that happened.

Really great game.

Danny Dudekisser

I think it was pulled from steam due to a issue with the DRM or something like that. There was a period with Atari having issues and games were going to be pulled but I don't think that happened.

Really great game.

Huh. I wonder if the Steam version still had TAGES in it. I remember that my friend bought the retail version of the game, and couldn't even get the thing to run until he used a crack, because TAGES had some issue with his computer. It was bad, man.

But anyway, I still have instances where I'm talking to a friend and I can say "wanna live, get a shiv," and they totally know what's up. Any game that's so endlessly quotable has to be good.

Persona7

Banned
Huh. I wonder if the Steam version still had TAGES in it. I remember that my friend bought the retail version of the game, and couldn't even get the thing to run until he used a crack, because TAGES had some issue with his computer. It was bad, man.

But anyway, I still have instances where I'm talking to a friend and I can say "wanna live, get a shiv," and they totally know what's up. Any game that's so endlessly quotable has to be good.

Yeah, it does. The activation limit is annoying as well, after three activations/hardware changes it stops working completely.

Every game that uses TAGES was removed from steam. The GOG version also had issues with the DRM leftovers and a file they used to deactivate it and antivirus vendors incorrectly flagging one of the files as being malicious.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I swear to god "nexus" has to be the most overused word in fantasy and scifi game concepts, and the ridiculous/annoying thing is most of them try to use it as a proper name for something rather than just the generic noun that it is.

Persona7

Banned
Picked up King of Dragon Pass, Darwinia, and Uplink: Hacker Elite from this sale. As usual, I've not played any of these before, but bit the bullet largely based on positive, compelling descriptions from user reviews and/or other regions of the web. And, you know, gut feelings. I have pretty good intuition about these things.

Although I've drastically increased my PC gaming time this year, I nevertheless have clearly come down with the GOG equivalent of Steam Sale Syndrome, as I feel like I buy something from this site every week or two while my backlog grows and grows.

I need to write a album about my neverending backlog.

Maybe I'll load up Darwinia instead.

I don't know why I bought Sudeki. I am not going to play it anytime soon and I could have waited on a sale. Oh well. I need to not memorize my credit card information.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Picked up King of Dragon Pass, Darwinia, and Uplink: Hacker Elite from this sale. As usual, I've not played any of these before, but bit the bullet largely based on positive, compelling descriptions from user reviews and/or other regions of the web. And, you know, gut feelings. I have pretty good intuition about these things.

Although I've drastically increased my PC gaming time this year, I nevertheless have clearly come down with the GOG equivalent of Steam Sale Syndrome, as I feel like I buy something from this site every week or two while my backlog grows and grows.

King of Dragon Pass is an amazing genre fusion. I cant think of anything quite like it.

Speaking of reviews, gogs are mainly trash, and I think the main reason is that it's impossible to leave detailed reviews due to the super-short character limit. I think that's why all the scores there are so high, a lot of people interested in writing serious critques probably give up on the tenth attempt of making it fit into gog's limit.

So on that note I urge people to upvote this request:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/increase_character_limit_on_reviews

I'm glad I made it into the Blackwell blurb! I really love those games.

BTW, I just finished Epiphany and it's the best in the series.

This. So, so good, and a fitting end to the series. Pretty much the best Point & Click game we've had for about the last five years.

Persona7

Banned
Classic Gem Promo: Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich + flash competition!

http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_freedom_force_vs_the_3rd_reich

Freedom Force Vs. the 3rd Reich, a real-time tactical RPG that pits a pack of quirky superheroes against the nazi supersoldiers, is 60% off on GOG.com. That's only $2.39 for the next 24 hours.

Minuteman can jump like an overpowered cricket and deflect bullets with his psychic force field while smashing the enemies with his powerful punches. Tombstone is the master of electricity and a ghost-whisperer. Quetzalcoatl embodies an ancient vengeful Aztec deity. Bullet can move so fast, that many people believe he can be in several places at a time. Those are only few of many superhuman operatives known as the Freedom Force. Their new, somewhat unexpected mission: to go back in time and stop the nazis from winning the World War II. A task that would've been much easier if the Third Reich didn't have its own super-soldiers.

There is also a competition

EXTRA! Flash-competition:

Freedom Force Vs. the 3rd Reich comes with a versatile character creation tool, that let's you design your very own golden age-style comic superhero. We've been thinking about a hero that represents what GOG.com stands for: Guardian of Games, a keeper of the gaming archives, a bringer of joy, and mankind's first line of defense against DRM. So, how should Guardian of Games look like? Show us your custom-made character here, in the forum thread, before the promo ends (use of custom textures allowed!). We'll choose three best entries and award 3 gift codes for $9.99 games to the best, 2 to the second, and 1 to the third-best entry. Start channeling Kirby, Lee, and Kane and--most importantly--have fun!

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/classic_gem_promo_freedom_force_vs_the_3rd_reich

Persona7

Banned
Release: Consortium: The Master Edition

Consortium: The Master Edition, a high-tech Sci-Fi adventure combining RPG and first-person shooter gameplay, is available 40% off on GOG.com. That's only $11.99 for the next 48 hours!

Game One of the iDGi-1 Trilogy. Taking place entirely aboard a massive futuristic aircraft, CONSORTIUM is a first person science-fiction role-playing experience unlike any other. The story begins in our world - the "real world" - where we here at Interdimensional Games have developed a satellite (iDGi-1) capable of opening a digital rift through time and space… Anyone can log on and travel through this rift and awaken within an alternate dimension from our own - the "game world" - in the year 2042.

In Consortium: The Master Edition you'll act as detective investigating an on-board murder, while simultaneously playing peacemaker to a large band of mercenaries who seem to want YOU dead. Or play diplomacy with a smoking barrel, and let the tragedies continue to mount. The story unfolds based largely on your actions. You may use diplomacy and talk your way through the entire game - never shooting anyone! OR, decide to use deadly or non-lethal force. The game features an all original orchestral score by award winning composer Jeremy Soule (available as a bonus MP3 download)!

Step through the digital rift and prepare for one of the most original gaming adventures you've ever had, with Consortium: The Master Edition for only $11.99 on GOG.com. The special 40% release discount offer lasts until Thursday, May 1, at 9:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/release_consortium_the_master_edition

Danny Dudekisser

Another week of nothing for me. And it's kinda disappointing, because Bloodrayne Betrayal came out on Steam this week, and would've made complete sense on GOG, and yet...

nothing.

Persona7

Banned
Another week of nothing for me. And it's kinda disappointing, because Bloodrayne Betrayal came out on Steam this week, and would've made complete sense on GOG, and yet...

nothing.

I was hoping to see it too..I did email the publisher, developer and Majesco about it though.

Danny Dudekisser

Pinball World looks like a purchase down the line, since I'm moderately interested in these games.

I played Pinball World back in the day. It was okay-ish. I never got into it as much as some of the other old-school pinball games, like Epic/Extreme Pinball.

I still maintain that the best pinball game ever, though, is Balls of Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom