• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

paolo11

Would you notice a difference, TN or IPS?

Dragon Center is essential, especially as the new one lets you create fan profiles.

Nahimic? Might as well mess around in it a bit, to see if it hurts or helps the SQ. I know a lot of people uninstall it.

Both IPS OR TN

Let me be honest. I wanted to get the Alienware 15 with 1070 and I wanted to make sure about the response time for the 4k screen on fighting games like Street Fighter V. I wanted a powerful laptop that can be played on the go easy ( carrying to office, travel).

I do not know the response time for 4k laptop screen. How is it?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Is never a bad answer? Unfortunately, the answer is never, in Canada. For perspective, the old he GTX 970M laptops still aren't that cheap, and at their lowest are in the $1600s.

That Asus GL702VM is over $2k CAD on Amazon Canada.

You guys get hosed on gaming laptop pricing, sorry.

Both IPS OR TN

Let me be honest. I wanted to get the Alienware 15 with 1070 and I wanted to make sure about the response time for the 4k screen on fighting games like Street Fighter V. I wanted a powerful laptop that can be played on the go easy ( carrying to office, travel).

I do not know the response time for 4k laptop screen. How is it?

Well the 4k screen is a standard laptop IPS, so expect the response times to be in the 25ms region.

paolo11

Is never a bad answer? Unfortunately, the answer is never, in Canada. For perspective, the old he GTX 970M laptops still aren't that cheap, and at their lowest are in the $1600s.

That Asus GL702VM is over $2k CAD on Amazon Canada.

You guys get hosed on gaming laptop pricing, sorry.

Well the 4k screen is a standard laptop IPS, so expect the response times to be in the 25ms region.

Ah I see. I guess I have to wait for the 120hz gysnc then.

Does anyone here try to bring their 17 inch laptop most of the time traveling? Is it ideal?

To be honest actually, I may need advise...

When the 120hz option comes out;

Should I go for the AW15 with the 120hz screen or

Should I wait for November, buy the AW 17 with the 1080gtx and QHD 120hz?

I wanted power,slim factor and portability.

stoff

First of all thanks for the Thread/OP. Very informative.

I have a kinda interesting question for you guys. (maybe?)

First off: I do not own a Desktop PC. Nor do I ever want to game on one again. I sit at a desk all day in my job and have zero intention to do it any second in my free time as well.
I am however a fan of City Builders, Strategy Games and Management Games that are pretty much exclusive to the PC. I want to play on my Laptop on my couch at home. No travelling. Don't want to play on the TV either. Laptop is just fine.

So far I've been playing on an old Acer Aspire, which I am still very happy with. However, many years have passed and my companion has gotten into the habit of shutting down due to overheat.

So, I was thinking:
Should I buy a new Notebook
OR
Should I build an equally powerful but much much cheaper little Desktop, but actually use Steam's In-House Streaming to play games on my old Laptop.
Connection would be wireless, I don't play a lot of action games, nor do i care about competetive play. Some input lag or even stutter doesn't affect my sessions of Civ.

I basically never play PC Games not on Steam. Maybe I'd miss out on EA games, but outside of FIFA I don't care for their output.
So, what do you think? Does that seem idiotic?

I'd like some recommendations for potential Laptops nonetheless, as I have no knowledge of Hardware whatsoever.
Country where it would be purchased: Germany
Maximum budget: 0 - 1.500 €
Max size: 17inch / 43cm Minimum
Planned usage: See above: Cities Skylines, Civ VI, Rocket League, atm but I also want to catch up on GTA V and got Witcher 3 gifted.
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP: I'm really not a graphics whore, but as I don't intend to buy another laptop for several (5+) years, I'd like something High to Ultra tiered just to be somewhat future-proof.
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc: Should come with Windows and Low Noise would be much much much appreciated. Please no "gaming aestheic" either. Can't stand funky colors or edges. Would gladly stick with acer as well, as I was very satisfied with my old one.
Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers: Had good experience with: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/
There's also obvious stuff like: http://www.mediamarkt.de or http://www.saturn.de/

Spinky

Do they really have "REPUBLIC OF GAMERS" written below the screen?

That's such a deal breaker.

Ha, I've always said that I would not be caught dead owning a laptop with "Republic of Gamers" on it. Never seen anyone else agree with me. It's literally the one thing that's put me off buying one of the new ones with a 1060.

so I have a 2k budget, and mainly getting a laptop to hook up to me tv, I don't have space for another monitor or a tower, I'm looking at the 1070 version of msi 62vr and it looks great for what I'm looking for and asking for. Is there a catch?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154290&cm_re=gt62vr-_-34-154-290-_-Product

How malware-y is MSI stuff?

For what it's worth, I ordered this one: http://www.gentechpc.com/MSI-GT62VR...l-GTX-1070-p/msi-gt62vr-dominator-pro-087.htm

It's $300 cheaper than the machine you linked to and I think the only difference is it has 16 gb RAM instead of 32. Mine will be here tomorrow and I can let you know how it is after a few days of use. I've been told by people in this thread that really the only super bloatwarey thing is Norton Anti-Virus.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
For what it's worth, I ordered this one: http://www.gentechpc.com/MSI-GT62VR...l-GTX-1070-p/msi-gt62vr-dominator-pro-087.htm

It's $300 cheaper than the machine you linked to and I think the only difference is it has 16 gb RAM instead of 32. Mine will be here tomorrow and I can let you know how it is after a few days of use. I've been told by people in this thread that really the only super bloatwarey thing is Norton Anti-Virus.

Holy... glad I asked, yeah don't need the ram. curious if the money for the no bloat/tuned system is worth the 50$.

Thanks!

Holy... glad I asked, yeah don't need the ram. curious if the money for the no bloat/tuned system is worth the 50$.

Thanks!

No problem. May want to look at the two machines side by side just to make sure I didn't overlook any other differences,

Can't speak to paying the $50 as I just tend to take care of any bloat myself.

K.Jack

First of all thanks for the Thread/OP. Very informative.

I have a kinda interesting question for you guys. (maybe?)

First off: I do not own a Desktop PC. Nor do I ever want to game on one again. I sit at a desk all day in my job and have zero intention to do it any second in my free time as well.
I am however a fan of City Builders, Strategy Games and Management Games that are pretty much exclusive to the PC. I want to play on my Laptop on my couch at home. No travelling. Don't want to play on the TV either. Laptop is just fine.

So far I've been playing on an old Acer Aspire, which I am still very happy with. However, many years have passed and my companion has gotten into the habit of shutting down due to overheat.

So, I was thinking:
Should I buy a new Notebook
OR
Should I build an equally powerful but much much cheaper little Desktop, but actually use Steam's In-House Streaming to play games on my old Laptop.
Connection would be wireless, I don't play a lot of action games, nor do i care about competetive play. Some input lag or even stutter doesn't affect my sessions of Civ.

I basically never play PC Games not on Steam. Maybe I'd miss out on EA games, but outside of FIFA I don't care for their output.
So, what do you think? Does that seem idiotic?

I'd like some recommendations for potential Laptops nonetheless, as I have no knowledge of Hardware whatsoever.
Country where it would be purchased: Germany
Maximum budget: 0 - 1.500 €
Max size: 17inch / 43cm Minimum
Planned usage: See above: Cities Skylines, Civ VI, Rocket League, atm but I also want to catch up on GTA V and got Witcher 3 gifted.
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP: I'm really not a graphics whore, but as I don't intend to buy another laptop for several (5+) years, I'd like something High to Ultra tiered just to be somewhat future-proof.
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc: Should come with Windows and Low Noise would be much much much appreciated. Please no "gaming aestheic" either. Can't stand funky colors or edges. Would gladly stick with acer as well, as I was very satisfied with my old one.
Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers: Had good experience with: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/
There's also obvious stuff like: http://www.mediamarkt.de or http://www.saturn.de/

Buy a desktop.

Thanks!

Paypal me the $50 instead. For the culture.

Onaco

Trying to help my girlfriend find a gaming laptop that's portable and subtle. The ROG orange and black laptop is not exactly on the subtle side, and the competitors that have 1060s in them are a bit too bulky.

She plays WoW a lot, and is in fact in a top-100 guild. She's moving around a lot for school and finds it difficult to play WoW on just her desktop, so we're looking at laptop solutions for her.

Keep this in mind:

• Needs a decent screen resolution, or display of colors
  • Subtle; trying to avoid gaming branding like "Republic Of Gamers"
  • Portable
  • Under 15 Inches
  • 1060 or 1070 GPU
  • $1500 Budget
  • Will be used to play or grind for high-tiered WoW raids, Overwatch, and run Adobe Products for school (Graphic Arts major)
  • For my girlfriend.

Side note: she LOVES Chroma and purple is her favorite color. She has purple fans on her custom rig. The MSI might be a good choice, but we're confused on the Windows key placement being on the right side of the keyboard.

Trying to help my girlfriend find a gaming laptop that's portable and subtle. The ROG orange and black laptop is not exactly on the subtle side, and the competitors that have 1060s in them are a bit too bulky.

She plays WoW a lot, and is in fact in a top-100 guild. She's moving around a lot for school and finds it difficult to play WoW on just her desktop, so we're looking at laptop solutions for her.

Keep this in mind:

• Needs a decent screen resolution, or display of colors
  • Subtle; trying to avoid gaming branding like "Republic Of Gamers"
  • Portable
  • Under 15 Inches
  • 1060 or 1070 GPU
  • $1500 Budget
  • Will be used to play or grind for high-tiered WoW raids, Overwatch, and run Adobe Products for school (Graphic Arts major)
  • For my girlfriend.

Side note: she LOVES Chroma and purple is her favorite color. She has purple fans on her custom rig. The MSI might be a good choice, but we're confused on the Windows key placement being on the right side of the keyboard.

If she does graphic arts she might need a screen with better color accuracy which makes your choices more difficult. Many gaming laptops have wonky colors.

Dell hasn't updated their laptops yet, but it cannot be long. We're talking weeks now. XPS 15 can be had with IGZO Touch display (lets face it- touch is useful and really nice) and 4K for just a bit over 1500 Dollars. It looks inoffensive as heck; http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9550-laptop

But you know what you could also do?

You could get a inofensive Dell laptop with a 960m (more than enough for games listed) and a quad-core for 800 dollars- You can upgrade the ram and HDD yourself, and add a m.2 if you're a boss; http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7559-laptop
The downside is that the colors are average. But for 800 dollars you meet almost all of your needs. You could tell your GF to spend the rest toward a really nicely color calibrated monitor. Bring laptop to school, then do color grading at home, and play at home. She could use the remaining money to get a nice 27-inch display which is just gonna be much nicer to play games like WoW in.

She could also get a Razer Stealth with Kabylake. Dave Lee just had a review and I was surprised at the results it was getting in CSGO and DOTA 2; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRLOEeSC9Q < It's tiny, portable, now pushes 7-8 hours of battery life. Also comes with 16 gigs of ram, and starts at 1000 USD. Also has chroma (at least on the 14-incher)

On the other hand; Adobe CC is a resource motherfucker. And on the other hand, WoW can really be taxing with all the post processing effects they've added. I got a GTX 970 in my desktop and some of the more expirmental max setting really kills frames.
Also a there is a disparity between needing a portable workhorse and a workhorse that runs cool for many hours.

Like- I've been impressed with the Alienware 13 and 15 because as gaudy as they look, they actually have really good battery life when not gaming. And I think that matters for your daily driver and using your machine for non gaming tasks. Also having them run so cool with priority on cooling makes the product just last longer. Plus they are fully chroma, so you can turn off or set all the lights to purple. the new models just came out and they now have ASS-Grills like the Asus 17 ROGs; http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-15-laptop

Asus are probably going to update their 15-inchers soon. The new 501 might be up her ally. It also looks remarkable similar to a Macbook Pro, with a red outline, like the Dell 7559 (the 800 dollars good value one).
You could also look at the HP Omen. Though I am not sure I trust HP<.< Or even Razer for that matter. Razer products have been hit or miss for me- so it's like fuck- you want something that has a decent build quality too.

We're going to see a hell of lot 960m laptops being upgraded to 1060 in the next 3 months. If your GF can hold tight she might have more to choose from.

So I got my GT62VR yesterday and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I uninstalled Norton out of the box right away. There were a few things I had to "fix" to get it operating the way I wanted though. First of all the GeForce experience for some reason refused to find the latest drivers so I had to go on nVidia's website and grab them manually and install them myself. The other thing was that whatever drivers the Killer Networking card shipped with were awful. I had to update those through the Windows drivers to get them to work right. Lastly, and this isn't a MSI problem, but Windows failed updating to the newest version and then refused to find the proper updates again through Windows Update so I had to do that manually as well. Now that I got all of those issues sorted I am good to go and really liking the laptop.

Anyone ever dealt with GenTech before? I bought my MSI laptop there. It was advertised as having an ESS Sabre DAC on the GenTech page (and other resellers as well like Xotic). I received my laptop last week and found out it was included and called MSI to confirm. It's not the main reason I bought the laptop, but it was a feature I wanted. I emailed GenTech about it and haven't heard back yet. Had I know that the MSI laptop didn't include it I would have likely ordered the comparable Sager model because it does. I could return it and order the Sager as a replacement, but GenTech charges a 10% restocking fee. It's not worth the $170 fee to exchange it, and I'm not totally sure it's GenTech's fault since they are just using promo materials that MSI provided. I did notice that MSI removed the Sabre DAC from their product page when I'm sure it was there a few weeks ago. Do I have any recourse when something like this happens, or am I SOL with being able to exchange it for a Sager without paying a 10% fee?

Tizoc

I am considering getting a new laptop for my sister for her birthday.
She doesn't really play video games so something to watch videos on is enough, but also one that is light and 'portable'.
I was thinking of getting her one of those laptops with detachable screens and wanted to know what's a good model between USD 500-800 or cheaper.
I found this list which has a few interesting models
http://teradatariver.com/741/best-detachable-laptop/

K.Jack

Anyone ever dealt with GenTech before? I bought my MSI laptop there. It was advertised as having an ESS Sabre DAC on the GenTech page (and other resellers as well like Xotic). I received my laptop last week and found out it was included and called MSI to confirm. It's not the main reason I bought the laptop, but it was a feature I wanted. I emailed GenTech about it and haven't heard back yet. Had I know that the MSI laptop didn't include it I would have likely ordered the comparable Sager model because it does. I could return it and order the Sager as a replacement, but GenTech charges a 10% restocking fee. It's not worth the $170 fee to exchange it, and I'm not totally sure it's GenTech's fault since they are just using promo materials that MSI provided. I did notice that MSI removed the Sabre DAC from their product page when I'm sure it was there a few weeks ago. Do I have any recourse when something like this happens, or am I SOL with being able to exchange it for a Sager without paying a 10% fee?

Gentech will have to eat the restocking, if they advertised a nonexistent feature.

Knowing them as I do, they will.

Do they sell the Sager you want? I'm sure they will work out an exchange.

I know there's confusion, as I checked all of the pages myself. Only the GT83 and GT73 have the DAC this generation.

I am considering getting a new laptop for my sister for her birthday.
She doesn't really play video games so something to watch videos on is enough, but also one that is light and 'portable'.
I was thinking of getting her one of those laptops with detachable screens and wanted to know what's a good model between USD 500-800 or cheaper.
I found this list which has a few interesting models
http://teradatariver.com/741/best-detachable-laptop/

Why not a Surface Pro?

Gentech will have to eat the restocking, if they advertised a nonexistent feature.

Knowing them as I do, they will.

Do they sell the Sager you want? I'm sure they will work out an exchange.

I know there's confusion, as I checked all of the pages myself. Only the GT83 and GT73 have the DAC this generation.

Why not a Surface Pro?

I'm not 100% set on sending it back, but yes they have the Sager I would get. I do like the MSI apart from the lack of the DAC, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the hassle. I think what happened is that MSI must have provided the advertising materials that resellers are using, and when it originally got sent out in July or August it mentioned the DAC. Even MSI's page had it listed (last I looked there was probably 3 weeks ago) but has since been updated. Is it worth my time to box up and send out my current laptop to exchange it for one just for the purpose of the integrated DAC? What are people's views on MSI vs Sager in terms of quality anyways?

ruddiger7

Banned
Grabbed an awesome deal on a nvidia resistance vr fury 1080 laptop. The guy i bought it off won it in a competition and it retails for $5000 australian. Bargained him down to $2300 australian . Sports a 6700k, a 1080. Upgradable ram etc. Screen only 120hz 1080p though.

K.Jack

I'm not 100% set on sending it back, but yes they have the Sager I would get. I do like the MSI apart from the lack of the DAC, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the hassle. I think what happened is that MSI must have provided the advertising materials that resellers are using, and when it originally got sent out in July or August it mentioned the DAC. Even MSI's page had it listed (last I looked there was probably 3 weeks ago) but has since been updated. Is it worth my time to box up and send out my current laptop to exchange it for one just for the purpose of the integrated DAC? What are people's views on MSI vs Sager in terms of quality anyways?
I guess the impact of the DAC comes down to your headphones. What do you have?

The GT72 and 62 still have dedicated amping for the headphone outputs, my GT72 in particular does a very respectable job, even with my Planar Magnetic cans.

I do use my own Amp/DAC (Geek Out 1000), so the laptop having a DAC, or not, matters much less to me than it may you.

I haven't heard much about the Sabre equipped laptops, to know if it makes a huge difference with power hungry cans. Have you seen or read anything on that?

Grabbed an awesome deal on a nvidia resistance vr fury 1080 laptop. The guy i bought it off won it in a competition and it retails for $5000 australian. Bargained him down to $2300 australian . Sports a 6700k, a 1080. Upgradable ram etc. Screen only 120hz 1080p though.

What laptop is this?

Echoes

Razer opened preorders for the new Razer Blade (GTX 1060), ships on October 25th:
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

Really tempted to get it. Love the design, the weight and the battery performance. I just wish it had a g-sync screen... I game on my desktop and the ASUS g-sync monitor that I have is really amazing for games that dip below 60fps (lately Forza Horizon 3 and Witcher 3 with mods). Gaming on a weaker machine with g-sync would be such a cool thing. Alas.

Gonna wait and see what Dell does with the XPS 15.

The GT72 and 62 still have dedicated amping for the headphone outputs, my GT72 in particular does a very respectable job, even with my Planar Magnetic cans.

I do use my own Amp/DAC (Geek Out 1000), so the laptop having a DAC, or not, matters much less to me than it may you.

I haven't heard much about the Sabre equipped laptops, to know if it makes a huge difference with power hungry cans. Have you seen or read anything on that?

What laptop is this?

Well at this point I don't have anything terribly power hungry as I've sold off all of my headphone collection in the past year. I need to buy a decent pair of headphones since I will be gaming on a laptop which I haven't done in the past. I quickly hooked up a pair of Steelseries headphones to my new GT62VR and they sounded pretty decent and the output seemed like it could get plenty loud. Not sure I'd ever even use something as power hungry as something like HD600s. Honestly not sure what headphones I'll be buying, but the thought of a DAC was just more for future proofing any headphone purchase I make, but I guess I could just buy a USB DAC if I really felt the need to.

I have not seen any reviews of really any of the Sager/Clevo new models, and haven't really read anything about the Sabre DAC in any laptop review. Not even sure which laptops use it besides the Sager models and the few MSI models you mentioned earlier.

ruddiger7

Banned

What laptop is this?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36501/resistance-vr-fury-gtx-1080-17-3in-ips-gaming-notebook

Is too heavy and big for a take with me everywhere laptop. I was torn between a media server and small gaming machine and decided i could have both.

I ended up getting the Dell 15 7559 from Amazon because it seemed like a good deal. Haven't received it yet (it's going to my cousin in Miami and my aunt will be bringing it over around the 20th), but I'm wondering about storage space for it. It only has the 128 GB m2 SSD, and I didn't buy anything else for it. Am I able to use an old hard drive from an old laptop? Or should I just bite the bullet and get an SSD so I can start fresh and with minimal effort? I watched this video for reference.

I ended up getting the Dell 15 7559 from Amazon because it seemed like a good deal. Haven't received it yet (it's going to my cousin in Miami and my aunt will be bringing it over around the 20th), but I'm wondering about storage space for it. It only has the 128 GB m2 SSD, and I didn't buy anything else for it. Am I able to use an old hard drive from an old laptop? Or should I just bite the bullet and get an SSD so I can start fresh and with minimal effort? I watched this video for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXcxFPDRvRo

Think this should answer your question.

K.Jack

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36501/resistance-vr-fury-gtx-1080-17-3in-ips-gaming-notebook

Is too heavy and big for a take with me everywhere laptop. I was torn between a media server and small gaming machine and decided i could have both.

You got away with murder. Did this guy not look up what it was worth first?

Congrats, that's an absolute monster of a laptop.

Do we expect 960m laptops to drop in price when 1050s come out?

No, absolutely not.

Thank you. I think I'm just overthinking everything lol. I've researched some and it just seems to be as simple as 'install and format' for either option. Now to decide if I want to go full SSD or use a HDD...

Put a 2.5" 1TB SSD in there. Embrace eternity. Shed the era of HDDs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01578ZK9A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thoughts on this laptop? I'm not looking to max out the newest games, I'm fine with medium settings at 60 fps or so. Plus, I would most likely be playing slightly older games like Total War, GTA, or Subnautica, to give an example of the type of games I would be playing.

This Dell has the same CPU, same GPU but an additional 2GB of VRAM [GPU ram] for $200 less, does have half the ram but you could spend $40 bucks to fix that yourself

Thoughts on this laptop? I'm not looking to max out the newest games, I'm fine with medium settings at 60 fps or so. Plus, I would most likely be playing slightly older games like Total War, GTA, or Subnautica, to give an example of the type of games I would be playing.

I have the 960M 2GB in my Dell XPS 15 inch and it is performing beyond my expectations (especially w/ forza horizon 3).

I don't play Total war so I can't help you there. However, there are youtube videos on others playing GTA w/ the 960M and it didn't seem too bad IMO. But I would check out those videos first.

I upgraded to the 512GB SSD so your speed may be slower since the laptop your looking at has the old school 7200rpm HDD.

A lot of people will scoff at the idea of still grabbing anything but the newer 10 series (1060, etc) of video cards but the 960M is still a good option to get, especially for those wanted a ultrabook (like me).

If you have extra dough, get the 4GB model, especially if you want to play GTA.

K.Jack

I was trying to be cheap, but fuck it lol. May as well invest in something worth it, yeah? Is the Samsung 850 EVO okay?
Another victim tempted to the dark side.

EVOs are solid choices.

I've never been a fan of buying large laptops, for weak GPUs. Might as well buy a lighter machine for a 960M.

jetsetrez

Any updates/hints on 1050M? And is it assumed that Dell 7559 will be updated with a 1050 at some point? Nvidia killin' me over here.

Lindsaymv

Hi there, been lurking this topic for the past few days. My laptop has pretty much imploded and I'm looking to get a new one in the next week or two. Haven't kept up with laptop specs at all (and my computer is 4-5 years old at this point) so I'd love some input.

Country where it will be purchased: Germany
Maximum budget.: 700 euro max, trying to save money though so less is better.
Max size: I'm used to 15 inch monitors, so 13-15 would be good.

Planned usage: Light gaming - if I can play Hearthstone and the occasional indie game, I'm basically fine. I have a backlog of games from Humble Bundles, but only old games like Dark Souls, Dead Space etc. My main requirement is I want a well built laptop - my last laptop had decent enough specs for the time, but the graphics card was constantly overheating and crashing, and everything basically deteriorated wildly after a while. I don't mind giving up gaming if I feel like I will be able to trust the build quality and get a few years out of it.

Whatever else you find relevant Not too worried about portability or battery life - I'm a freelance musician so I do travel for gigs, but I'm pretty used to just taking my phone and PSVita and leaving laptop behind. My last computer was an Acer Aspire, and as I wrote above I had a pretty negative impression overall. It's not a dealbreaker though, if an Acer is really the best deal (I've seen Acers recommended throughout this topic, so I'm guessing they've upped their game since then).

Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers.
http://www.saturn.de/
http://www.mediamarkt.de
www.notebooksbilliger.de

On the last of those three websites, they seem to have a 50EUR discount on ASUS computers at the moment. What do you guys think of this one? http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/business/asus+x555ub+xo256d

Hey guys, a friend of mine (in the US) is in the market for a new laptop, mostly for Blizzard games (World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 in particular). The budget is $1000. Any nice laptops in that range that can play these games at 1080p and decent settings?

Thanks in advance!

Harmen

Hey guys, short question here: I am looking to buy a 15,6 inch laptop (from Medion) that contains the following:

-Intel Core i5 6200U (Skylake)
-8 GB DDR3L (with slots/support for more apparently?)
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4 GB DDR3 (how much does this type of memory gimp the card?)
-1 TB SATA hybrid with 8 Gb cache (does that cache even help?).

This together is 750 euro's, which is my max budget. I won't use it for modern gaming (PS4 and I plan to buy a desktop eventually), but it would be nice to play some older games every now and then (Witcher 1 and 2, Alan Wake, adventure titles such as the PS3-era Sherlock games etc.). I am fine with 30 fps and 900p if that is how games will run. This is why I aim to buy a laptop that at least contains a graphical card, which limits my options significantly.

So, is this sufficient?

On a sidenote, is it possible to eventually change the HDD to SSD in a relatively safe/easy way (maybe trough a specialist)? (soft edit: I saw a review stating the slots are pretty accessible, so I assume this will be a potential future upgrade).

K.Jack

Any updates/hints on 1050M? And is it assumed that Dell 7559 will be updated with a 1050 at some point? Nvidia killin' me over here.

1050 Ti and 1050 are launching this month, so I'd expect to see them in notebooks in November.

Hi there, been lurking this topic for the past few days. My laptop has pretty much imploded and I'm looking to get a new one in the next week or two. Haven't kept up with laptop specs at all (and my computer is 4-5 years old at this point) so I'd love some input.

Country where it will be purchased: Germany
Maximum budget.: 700 euro max, trying to save money though so less is better.
Max size: I'm used to 15 inch monitors, so 13-15 would be good.

Planned usage: Light gaming - if I can play Hearthstone and the occasional indie game, I'm basically fine. I have a backlog of games from Humble Bundles, but only old games like Dark Souls, Dead Space etc. My main requirement is I want a well built laptop - my last laptop had decent enough specs for the time, but the graphics card was constantly overheating and crashing, and everything basically deteriorated wildly after a while. I don't mind giving up gaming if I feel like I will be able to trust the build quality and get a few years out of it.

Whatever else you find relevant Not too worried about portability or battery life - I'm a freelance musician so I do travel for gigs, but I'm pretty used to just taking my phone and PSVita and leaving laptop behind. My last computer was an Acer Aspire, and as I wrote above I had a pretty negative impression overall. It's not a dealbreaker though, if an Acer is really the best deal (I've seen Acers recommended throughout this topic, so I'm guessing they've upped their game since then).

Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers.
http://www.saturn.de/
http://www.mediamarkt.de
www.notebooksbilliger.de

On the last of those three websites, they seem to have a 50EUR discount on ASUS computers at the moment. What do you guys think of this one? http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/business/asus+x555ub+xo256d

This is an absolute steal.

Hey guys, a friend of mine (in the US) is in the market for a new laptop, mostly for Blizzard games (World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 in particular). The budget is $1000. Any nice laptops in that range that can play these games at 1080p and decent settings?

Thanks in advance!

Look up Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK on Amazon.

Hey guys, short question here: I am looking to buy a 15,6 inch laptop (from Medion) that contains the following:

-Intel Core i5 6200U (Skylake)
-8 GB DDR3L (with slots/support for more apparently?)
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4 GB DDR3 (how much does this type of memory gimp the card?)
-1 TB SATA hybrid with 8 Gb cache (does that cache even help?).

This together is 750 euro's, which is my max budget. I won't use it for modern gaming (PS4 and I plan to buy a desktop eventually), but it would be nice to play some older games every now and then (Witcher 1 and 2, Alan Wake, adventure titles such as the PS3-era Sherlock games etc.). I am fine with 30 fps and 900p if that is how games will run. This is why I aim to buy a laptop that at least contains a graphical card, which limits my options significantly.

So, is this sufficient?

On a sidenote, is it possible to eventually change the HDD to SSD in a relatively safe/easy way (maybe trough a specialist)? (soft edit: I saw a review stating the slots are pretty accessible, so I assume this will be a potential future upgrade).

If that is the best dedicated GPU within your budget, go for it. GDDR5 VRAM would be ideal, but that takes a GTX 960M at the minimum.

1050 Ti and 1050 are launching this month, so I'd expect to see them in notebooks in November.

This is an absolute steal.

Look up Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK on Amazon.

If that is the best dedicated GPU within your budget, go for it. GDDR5 VRAM would be ideal, but that takes a GTX 960M at the minimum.

Whoa, that dell 2512 is an absolute steal. £400 in the U.K, may pick that up for myself.

Was planning on waiting till next year and getting a new Alienware 15 with a 1070 but if I can pick that up so cheap, purely for playing WoW, I may just go for it.

L.O.R.D

my friend has Sager NP9377 with SLI GTX880m
and want to replace them at least with one GTX 1080 or GTX 1070.

Xotic PC told him he can't because of the motherboard
that's weird,i know he should be able to use any card with the same size.

Background: I have an Asus N53S laptop, with a GT430M in it. It's now 4 1/2 years old. It gets the job done on the fairly basic games, running on fairly medium settings. I can even manage Overwatch on it, though that's about the testiest test it can handle, and even then it's pretty raw.

About 15 months ago, I picked up a BenQ 1080p monitor for it, and I basically use the Asus as a desktop.

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet which I've recently tried to replace with an Asus Flip Chromebook (for when the Android apps get supported).

What I Had Been Planning: I assumed that at some point I would buy a desktop, with all the bells and whistles, and maintain this odd assortment of other devices. After all, I'm basically using the current laptop as a desktop and using the Chromebook as my mobile device.

Why That Might Be Changing: So, there are two things that are really impacting this whole plan. One, 4K gaming. One of our TVs is on the fritz, so when Black Friday rolls around it's highly likely that we're taking the plunge on a 4K TV. Which would also allow me, when the TV isn't being used for Xbox gaming or watching shows, to plug in a laptop to push epic graphics on the big screen. I'm also aware that the BenQ I picked up last year is only 1080p... and so now I'm thinking that I would rather have a 4K monitor. Two, Pascal. I believe I'll be able to pick up a 1060 or 1070 that isn't an M version and can give me quite a good run of high graphics gaming.

The Options: I currently only have about $400 saved up. So this is really looking out about 9 months or so, to next summer.

1. I stick with the current plan, buy a desktop, eventually buy a monitor to replace it, and potentially look into a Steam Link to play games on the 4K TV. I ditch the N7 and keep the Chromebook for mobility (by the way, I'm not really playing the Android games I thought I'd be playing).

2. I change the plan, buy a 1060/1070 laptop with a 4K monitor, ditch the N7 AND the Chromebook and use the laptop for mobility.

Option 2 seems to simplify my life quite a bit while giving me the option to max out games in 4K. It's the way I'm leaning now.

What's the likelihood that I'd be able to get into a 1060/1070, 4K monitor laptop for under $2K about 9 months from now. I'm in the US.

Do you guys think we can expect a Dell XPS 15 update with GeForce 10xxM GPUs soon?

The last one didn't come out lightning fast, so I'm not really expecting it in this case to come out day and date with the 1050/1050ti.

This is completely based on nothing but my anus, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm expecting early next year for it.

Maximum budget: ~£200
Max size: 15"
Planned usage: Everyday use such as watching movies, sports streams, youtube, and browsing the web.

Getting rid of my desktop and looking to get a laptop instead, budget is around £150-220, I've seen a couple that I'm interested in but I don't really have any day to day experience with the type I'm looking at. Both are Dell Inspirons but one is an i3-4005u and the other an i3-3217u, is the performance a big enough leap to go for the 4005u or can I save some money and buy the older cpu instead. Thanks

Top Bottom