• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Killing Floor 2, Blackgate HD, HALF MINUTE HERO 2, etc leaked on Steam

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Blackgate HD is the real headline here.

Though didn't this same method "leak" that PC version of Halo 3 that never happened?

Halo 3 leaked through the registry, not the stats page. Also, I'd replace "never happened" with "hasn't happened" -- the app is private but a changenumber slipped through a month ago and it wasn't due to a general registry-wide update pushed through by Valve itself (though you should ignore the most recent update to the app for this reason).

Listonosh

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of Killing Floor fans. I had absolutely no idea that game was popular. I always judged it poorly by all its "cover art" on steam, and its description just sounded like a poor man's L4D. So this game is actually good?!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of Killing Floor fans. I had absolutely no idea that game was popular. I always judged it poorly by all its "cover art" on steam, and its description just sounded like a poor man's L4D. So this game is actually good?!

Killing Floor is simply MAGNIFICENT ... much better than L4D imho ... definitely worth giving it a fair chance

Grief.exe

Its very good, there is a huge fan base for the game and Tripwire has kept us satiated with plenty of free maps.

JaseC

I hadn't even heard of it until now.

First Tecmo game on Steam? I want more preferably Ninja Gaiden Sigma

That would be Dynasty Warriors 7. It was never released on the store proper and instead is limited to select Asian retailers (I bought a copy through Atraveller for AUD$65), but it's still technically on Steam.

DocSeuss

Killing Floor is simply MAGNIFICENT ... much better than L4D imho ... definitely worth giving it a fair chance

It's not like L4D at all.

For the person you were replying to: It's just a wave-based shooter (think a less-good Horde Mode from Gears) with really dull AI and enemies that ragdoll alright when you shoot them, giving a sense that the weapons are really great, even though they're kinda crap.

Grief.exe

That would be Dynasty Warriors 7.

Apparently that is only available from retail stores in China and activates on Steam.

Only you would know about this game's existence lol. Do you have it yet Jase?

It was never released on the store proper and instead is limited to select Asian retailers (I bought a copy through Atraveller for AUD$65), but it's still technically on Steam.

That edit.

I should have known you would have it.

How is the port?

JaseC

Mirror of fate 3DS got a HD port on xbla and PSN so i was gonna say i wouldn't be surprised arkham origins blackgate got a HD port to steam/ etc

Alex

I really hated Killing Floor, like the concept though, would be willing to give a sequel another chance.

Half Minute Hero 2! Steam saves another.

Sajjaja

That makes sense, so it could either be Extraction or their unannounced game that is listed on the site.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2. With Enemy Territory graphical upgrade.

jizz-in-my-pants.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like L4D at all.

For the person you were replying to: It's just a wave-based shooter (think a less-good Horde Mode from Gears) with really dull AI and enemies that ragdoll alright when you shoot them, giving a sense that the weapons are really great, even though they're kinda crap.

I'd take Killing Floor over Gears Horde mode any day plus the weapons are fantastic. Tripwire support is also second to none. The Killing Floor community will last for years, Gears won't.

JaseC

But seriously, if Microsoft does end up porting the Halo Trilogy, best case scenario would be if they included ODST for that delicious Firefight.

I'd say ports of later Halo games will depend on how well the trilogy (or rather 3 in particular) performs. In a perfect world it'd sell like hotcakes and Reach would come to Steam with ODST as a pre-purchase incentive.

DocSeuss

I'd take Killing Floor over Gears Horde mode any day plus the weapons are fantastic. Tripwire support is also second to none. The Killing Floor community will last for years, Gears won't.

The weapons are dull. The enemies respond to the weapons by ragdolling or exploding, which gives the impression that they're awesome, and the aiming is basically default Unreal 2, so it has the right stiffness. It's not as if you play radically differently based on the loadout you have, the way you would say... if you were playing FEAR (where enemies function kinda like Killing Floor, but way sturdier), or, yeah, Gears of War 3.

And of course Gears won't last for years. Gears is on a console, and a third-person shooter. KF is a lot simpler to get into, plus it feels more like a classic PC game.

Killing Floor is ugly graphics/art-wise but it's very fun. It's also different from L4D. It has classes, waves of enemies and you don't have to go from Point A to Point B.

Different gameplay. It's not like one is better than the other.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The weapons are dull. The enemies respond to the weapons by ragdolling or exploding, which gives the impression that they're awesome, and the aiming is basically default Unreal 2, so it has the right stiffness. It's not as if you play radically differently based on the loadout you have, the way you would say... if you were playing FEAR (where enemies function kinda like Killing Floor, but way sturdier), or, yeah, Gears of War 3.

And of course Gears won't last for years. Gears is on a console, and a third-person shooter. KF is a lot simpler to get into, plus it feels more like a classic PC game.

Well I guess it depends what you are looking for in the weapons. Of course the weapons are standard military fare but they all feel really good to shoot. The slight camera shake, the recoil, the sound and the ragdolling/exploding all combine to make a very fun/satisfying game to play. If it wasn't satisfying to play I doubt it would retain the community it has. Of course this is all personal preference but I find Killing Floor to be one of the most satisfying shooters around.

Each class has its place and I'd argue that playing as Demo is different from playing as melee. They are all used to take out different enemies quicker and more useful in certain situations, especially on the higher difficulties. I won't argue about the AI being braindead but then it's not exactly the highest budget game. I'd still say it's the best game of the FPS horde type though.

Yeah of course I was being a bit cheeky in comparing a console game/PC game but Epic used to support their PC fans really well, even Gears 1 was on PC but they saddled it with that GFWL crap. But they've shown a complete disregard for their PC fanbase whilst Tripwire consistently support their own game, let players host their own servers and provide steam workshop/mod support. Whilst of course that may not be appealing to yourself as someone who doesn't like the game, as a fan that goes a loooooooong for way me. Hell even in this day and age it's hard enough to get PC games that let players provide their own servers!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Its the best horde mode shooter on the market with the best support and the best gunplay and classes that all fill a different role (minus poor firebug, I'd rather have serkers and commandos.) It also requires really good teamwork and is brutally difficult on higher levels. Requires smart coordinated play and everyone fulfilling their role correctly or its easy to get overrun or picked off (depending on whether you are hunkered down to set up a kill zone or constaly moving to stay ahead of the tide of enemies and whittling them down.)

Honey Bunny

Play it

THE REAL MEGATON IS HALF MINUTE HERO 2 😦

Indeed, I remember in an interview of Xseed with Kotaku, they said the game sold bad, really bad even for their standards (they focus on niche games)

So yes, sometimes games are even too smalltime for a small publisher like Xseed. And their biggest regret, Berry said, is that they can’t bring over the sequels to games that didn’t sell well, like Retro Game Challenge or Half-Minute Hero.

“I mean, we take so much flack from our fans,” he told me, “because they say they bought it and they loved the first one, and why can’t we bring over the second one? Well… Half-Minute Hero was probably one of our worst-selling games.”

I asked how many copies they sold.

“Just imagine our hypothetical threshold and then cut that by five,” Chavez said.

Berry laughed. “Look on ******** and then take like 1/5 of that and that’s probably it.”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/12/the-game-savers-how-a-tiny-company-gives-neglected-japanese-games-new-life-overseas/

The game must have been really successful on PC with all that sales.

breadtruck

Killing Floor 2 is indeed intriguing, though expected. It is one of Tripwire's most popular games.

I just hope they don't rush it out the door like they did with Red Orchestra 2. That game suffered for quite a while from its abysmal launch. Thankfully the Rising Storm expansion redeemed the game in many's eyes.

Take your time Tripwire.

Top Bottom