• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:07 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/diy

Youtube Guide is HERE
PDF Guide

For a limited time, we are making a G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kit available. If you have an ASUS VG248QE monitor, you can purchase the kit and mod your monitor. Assuming you are proficient with moding, this solution might be right for you. The installation process should take approximately 30 minutes.

To prepare yourself with the modding process, we recommend carefully reading the Installation Guide (PDF, 6.7 MB) and watching the installation video below.


Note that unless directly caused by NVIDIA’s own negligence, NVIDIA is not responsible for any product damage or warranty issues, including, but not limited to, the voiding of a third party product warranty that may occur by using, integrating or substituting the warrantied product with or into third party product.

Product Page NA shipping:

United States
Canada
Puerto Rico
Virgin Islands

For UK users & others, there is no news at this time.


You might need to watch this page (or your region equivalent) for more info. It should appear in the sidebar at the bottom similar to the US page.
jayu26
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:11 AM)
jayu26's Avatar
I don't know about you guys, but $200 on top of price of monitor is a bit much for me...
Rur0ni
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:12 AM)
Rur0ni's Avatar
$199 tho?
TucoBenedictoPacifico
Banned
(01-11-2014, 02:12 AM)
Weren't these things supposed to be priced around 40 bucks when they talked about them the first time?
Rur0ni
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:13 AM)
Rur0ni's Avatar

Originally Posted by TucoBenedictoPacifico

Weren't these things supposed to be priced around 40 bucks when they talked about them the first time?

I think we were looking at $130 or so introductory, and then coming down from there to $75 or something. Would have to look back at the threads.
copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:16 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar
In other news, BlurBusters will have Part 2 of their G-Sync Review available sometime on Monday.

That's what I'm personally waiting for before I pull the trigger.
Rur0ni
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:18 AM)
Rur0ni's Avatar
Since it's limited to DisplayPort, perhaps I can purchase (1) for my primary display.
Tenck
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:19 AM)
Tenck's Avatar
Is there specific GPUs that are required? I'd love to give this a try with my current setup, but I'd like to avoid the headache of finding out that I need a new GPU.
Loofy
Banned
(01-11-2014, 02:22 AM)
Are there any IPS gsync monitors? seems like a downgrade if you have to go TN.
TouchMyBox
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:22 AM)
TouchMyBox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rur0ni

Since it's limited to DisplayPort, perhaps I can purchase (1) for my primary display.

Don't give up the dream! :(
Unai
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:24 AM)
Unai's Avatar
Too bad they aren't bringing the kits to the benq monitors. I can't justify buying a new one right now.
copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:24 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tenck

Is there specific GPUs that are required? I'd love to give this a try with my current setup, but I'd like to avoid the headache of finding out that I need a new GPU.

Kepler GPUs (GTX 600/700 series), specifically the GTX 650Ti BOOST and higher

Check page 3 of the PDF file.

Just know that you NEED an NVIDIA gpu.
Tenck
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:25 AM)
Tenck's Avatar

Originally Posted by copelandmaster

Kepler GPUs (GTX 600/700 series), specifically the GTX 650Ti BOOST and higher

Check page 3 of the PDF file.

Just know that you NEED an NVIDIA gpu.

Alright cool.
baphomet
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:25 AM)
baphomet's Avatar
I was under the impression the part was going to be much smaller. The installation is cake at least.
TheFrza
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:35 AM)
TheFrza's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnaiGamer

Too bad they aren't bringing the kits to the benq monitors. I can't justify buying a new one right now.

Has this been stated? I was hoping that Asus was just the first monitor...
BreakyBoy
o_O @_@ O_o
(01-11-2014, 02:37 AM)
BreakyBoy's Avatar
The installation is quite easy if you've got any experience with electronics.

$200 is steep though.

I'm thinking about it.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-11-2014, 02:40 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar

Originally Posted by jayu26

I don't know about you guys, but $200 on top of price of monitor is a bit much for me...

I don't care how cool and hip GSYNC is. You are absolutely right. It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff. No way in hell I'm buying a 300+ monitor on top of a little 200 dollar chip.
outsida
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:40 AM)
outsida's Avatar
Cool this is the monitor I have.
Truespeed
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:41 AM)
Truespeed's Avatar
What a missed opportunity. Nvidia should have called it N-Sync.
baphomet
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:43 AM)
baphomet's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

I don't care how cool and hip GSYNC is. You are absolutely right. It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff. No way in hell I'm buying a 300+ monitor on top of a little 200 dollar chip.

Its not really a chip. Youre basically buying 1 complete monitor and then the insides of another monitor.
Anony
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:44 AM)
use the 200$ to buy a better gpu, problem solved
Damian.
Banned
(01-11-2014, 02:45 AM)
That's a lot more complicated than I imagined. Seeing that and the price on top of it makes me second guess whether I want to do this or not. At $99 I would have jumped on it immediately. Tough call.
matrix-cat
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:46 AM)
matrix-cat's Avatar
That video's pretty surprising. The guy actually takes out all the guts of the monitor and pretty much throws it away, except for the connecting cables that he uses to connect the new circuitboard. It's not just a little chip that he's plugging in, like I thought; the G-Sync 'module' is actually the circuitboard for an entirely new monitor that you're just plugging in to the panel and case for the one you own.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-11-2014, 02:46 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar

Originally Posted by baphomet

Its not really a chip. Youre basically buying 1 complete monitor and then the insides of another monitor.

Doesn't look much more than a small PCB that doesn't look worth anywhere near 200. Chip was used loosely on my part but my point stands. Price talk more than anything on this.
BreakyBoy
o_O @_@ O_o
(01-11-2014, 02:48 AM)
BreakyBoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

I don't care how cool and hip GSYNC is. You are absolutely right. It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff. No way in hell I'm buying a 300+ monitor on top of a little 200 dollar chip.

The reports coming out from CES are saying that there will be G-Sync ready monitors coming out from various manufacturers that are on board.

I've heard of 2560x1440 monitors overclocked to 144hz, and the MSRP being ~$650. Haven't heard if they're TN or IPS though. And you can't really judge quality until some people get these in their home/labs.

You can get a VG248QE for $250 if you shop around, $300 if you don't. With the separate G-Sync module, you're looking at $550 for the total package. Considering this is an option obviously targeted to the enthusiast/early adopter market. It's not an awful deal.

For someone who already has the monitor, like myself, it might even be a better one.

Still, $200. I'm not sure if I'll jump in.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-11-2014, 02:52 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreakyBoy

The reports coming out from CES are saying that there will be G-Sync ready monitors coming out from various manufacturers that are on board.

I've heard of 2560x1440 monitors overclocked to 144hz, and the MSRP being ~$650. Haven't heard if they're TN or IPS though. And you can't really judge quality until some people get these in their home/labs.

You can get a VG248QE for $250 if you shop around, $300 if you don't. With the separate G-Sync module, you're looking at $550 for the total package. Considering this is an option obviously targeted to the enthusiast/early adopter market. It's not an awful deal.

For someone who already has the monitor, like myself, it might even be a better one.

Still, $200. I'm not sure if I'll jump in.

It's a tough pill to swallow. I'd buy a monitor with the thing for 400 but not anymore. Not right now.
copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:52 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

Doesn't look much more than a small PCB that doesn't look worth anywhere near 200. Chip was used loosely on my part but my point stands. Price talk more than anything on this.

While I'm sure there is a profitable markup on these chips, the price is high because the board is apparently a FPGA. Supposedly FPGA's are normally used for prototyping and not normally massed produced, hence they are expensive. Newer monitors won't be using these chips, they'll be mass produced specialty chips that are much cheaper.

For me, I got my monitor on a deal at $250. The board will cost me $210. So about $460 total for the whole deal.

Yeah, that's expensive, which is why I am waiting on blurbusters. You lose the functionality of DVI and HDMI, and we don't know if the ULMB mode is really better than ToastyX Lightboost (like can you use it in borderless fullscreen {like lightboost}, or will it strobe at 60hz - something Lightboost can't do)
outsida
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:53 AM)
outsida's Avatar
Wait so I would lose the ability to use HDMI if I did this mod? My monitor doubles as my second Xbox 360 set up (probably replaced by my PS4 soon) at my desk.
Zombie James
Banned
(01-11-2014, 02:55 AM)
Zombie James's Avatar
Yikes, $200 :/
matrix-cat
Member
(01-11-2014, 02:59 AM)
matrix-cat's Avatar
I imagine the pre-installed G-Sync monitors are going to be much better value, because you won't be buying two separate sets of monitor guts. If Nvidia has some partnership with Asus where they can just slot these PCBs in on the assembly line instead of the regular stuff, that should keep the costs down.
Jtwo
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:00 AM)
Jtwo's Avatar
200$ :|

This monitor was 250$ by itself. I was so sure I was gonna be among the first to get this technology but now I'm thinking I might just wait for my next display upgrade.
BreakyBoy
o_O @_@ O_o
(01-11-2014, 03:03 AM)
BreakyBoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by outsida

Wait so I would lose the ability to use HDMI if I did this mod? My monitor doubles as my second Xbox 360 set up (probably replaced by my PS4 soon) at my desk.

Yep, you will. The board provided doesn't have anything but one DisplayPort input. Not sure if there are HDMI to DisplayPort converters out there, but I don't think they'd be cheap if there are.
copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:03 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar
If there is any upside on the price, it's that the monitor does come with the proper DisplayPort cable (PDF page 2)
Jtwo
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:03 AM)
Jtwo's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreakyBoy

Yep, you will. The board provided doesn't have anything but one DisplayPort input. Not sure if there are HDMI to DisplayPort converters out there, but I don't think they'd be cheap if there are.

Ok. Its decided. No gsync for me this year. I'm actually quite bummed.
HoosTrax
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:03 AM)
HoosTrax's Avatar
I don't feel like watching the whole video to find out -- do I need to solder anything?
copelandmaster
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:04 AM)
copelandmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by HoosTrax

I don't feel like watching the whole video to find out -- do I need to solder anything?

Nope
Future PhaZe
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:20 AM)
Future PhaZe's Avatar
Yea I may hold off. 130 sounded good to me, but 200 is kind of getting into my nope territory.
Jtwo
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:22 AM)
Jtwo's Avatar
I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, theres not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.
Hazelhurst
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:24 AM)
Hazelhurst's Avatar
I have this monitor. However, I don't have an nvidia card. Amd all the way.
Pops Maellard
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:24 AM)
Pops Maellard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jtwo

I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, there's not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.

Yeah, pretty much this.
ab.aeterno
Member
(01-11-2014, 03:26 AM)
ab.aeterno's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreakyBoy

You can get a VG248QE for $250 if you shop around, $300 if you don't. With the separate G-Sync module, you're looking at $550 for the total package. Considering this is an option obviously targeted to the enthusiast/early adopter market. It's not an awful deal.

Well, if you already have a 660Ti Boost or higher nVidia card. A lot of people don't. I have 2 x 7970 GEs right now. To keep the same level of performance I'd need, what, 2 770s or 780s? On top of the $600 for a monitor and this kit? That's almost, what, $1,500?

I mean, I spend money like a drunken sailor, but that's a lot of fucking money.
Fried Food
Banned
(01-11-2014, 03:40 AM)
SOLD. Looking forward to trying it out
emiranda061288
Banned
(01-11-2014, 03:43 AM)
I'm waiting for the factory installed gsync module to buy one of the monitors.
wiggleb0t
Banned
(01-11-2014, 03:48 AM)
Will purchase when they're in the 100$ or less range... Really looking forward to these puppies. Not at that price though.
Actionhank
Banned
(01-11-2014, 04:22 AM)
For $200, I can get myself another monitor or even another GPU.
Czigga
Member
(01-11-2014, 04:32 AM)
Wtf I thought they said kits would be $100
BoosterDuck
Banned
(01-11-2014, 04:34 AM)
eeeh I'll wait for Freesync
mkenyon
Banned
(01-11-2014, 04:40 AM)
mkenyon's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreakyBoy

Yep, you will. The board provided doesn't have anything but one DisplayPort input. Not sure if there are HDMI to DisplayPort converters out there, but I don't think they'd be cheap if there are.

HDMI can't output past 60Hz anyway, which kills the entire point of the module.

Originally Posted by Jtwo

I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, theres not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.

Supposedly the chip they use on them sells for $1000 MSRP. This is from a random display tech hobbyiest on the Blurbuster's forum.
xJavonta
Member
(01-11-2014, 05:09 AM)
xJavonta's Avatar

Originally Posted by mkenyon

HDMI can't output past 60Hz anyway, which kills the entire point of the module.

Supposedly the chip they use on them sells for $1000 MSRP. This is from a random display tech hobbyiest on the Blurbuster's forum.

He wanted to use it for his console as well (not Gsync, just the monitor)
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(01-11-2014, 05:21 AM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff.

You should seriously ask yourself why it makes you upset that there's one company out there actually creating and selling enthusiast products for the gaming market.

Because of 3D vision we got 120 Hz LCD monitors, because of its further development we got Lightboost and reclaimed motion clarity, and because of G-sync variable refresh rate adoption in gaming displays at the very least got a massive mindshare and development boost, and we just got the first official 1440p 120 Hz monitor announcement.

Thread Tools