• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

UrbanRats
Member
(01-12-2014, 12:57 PM)
UrbanRats's Avatar
Too many awards, let the hate begin!

Yeah, it was my goty too, great game.
sofiabudapest
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:03 PM)
sofiabudapest's Avatar
It's a great game and this success will definitely help to see more of this quality and scope from Neil Duckman and the rest of the team on the PS4.
charsace
Accidental Member
(01-12-2014, 01:10 PM)
charsace's Avatar

Originally Posted by oti xero

I hope Microsoft sees that as some sort of challenge to release something of this scope themselves (not developing it, but funding a riskier project and pushing it with all their marketing strength). They haven't given me any reason to believe they`re capable of doing this, but I hope they'll prove me wrong some day.

More of those kind of games, better for all of us and video games.

-

I hope Quantum Break could be it, but who knows. Could be great, could be ok.

Last of Us is about as risky as Gears. Which is to say not risky at all.
CurlySaysX
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:10 PM)
PS4 GOTY edition all but confirmed. Glad I haven't played it yet.
Vizzeh
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:12 PM)
Great video from IGN on The Last of Us 2013 GOTY
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/01/10/...me-of-the-year
ldcommando
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:13 PM)
ldcommando's Avatar
The best game.
That Wont Fit In There
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:15 PM)
That Wont Fit In There's Avatar
There's no way a ps4 version isn't coming. Sony would be dumb to miss it. Just picture how the box art would look with all those awards.
Sn4ke_911
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(01-12-2014, 01:16 PM)
Sn4ke_911's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vizzeh

Great video from IGN on The Last of Us 2013 GOTY
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/01/10/...me-of-the-year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQnMfIPE10
TheRagnCajun
(01-12-2014, 01:19 PM)
Dat lasting impression. GJ ND
NIGHT-
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:19 PM)
NIGHT-'s Avatar
Good game. Not my goty though
Vizzeh
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Sn4ke_911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQnMfIPE10

Cheers That video link of IGN's GoTY will probably serves peoples purpose better than my direct link. Especially people with Smart TV's etc :) - its great to watch in 1080p on the big screen.
Rozart
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:27 PM)
Rozart's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sn4ke_911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQnMfIPE10

Thanks for the link! That was a surprisingly lovely video that succinctly sums up TLoU's GOTY-worthiness quite well.
Vizzeh
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:30 PM)

Originally Posted by CurlySaysX

PS4 GOTY edition all but confirmed. Glad I haven't played it yet.

I just hope they are not relying on Playstation NOW as the only method to play this game on PS4. I want this in my Game collection. It would be great in 1080p with Slightly better resolution textures etc at a solid Frame rate.

I wish I could play this for the first time again. Where is the Men In Black when you need them?
boredandlazy
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:33 PM)
boredandlazy's Avatar

Originally Posted by faridmon

The fact that a person had to go certain length in order to count those awards is quite simply sad.

You feeling the need to post about it isn't much better.
Kydd BlaZe
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:40 PM)
Kydd BlaZe's Avatar
We'll deserved. Fantastic fucking game.

Does anyone know how many GOTY awards Grand Theft Auto V and BioShock Infinite pulled in, for comparison?
szaromir
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:42 PM)

Originally Posted by charsace

Last of Us is about as risky as Gears. Which is to say not risky at all.

You're right as far as the high level concept is concerned. But a lot of things can go wrong when developing an expensive new game.
plainr_
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:46 PM)
plainr_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by CurlySaysX

PS4 GOTY edition all but confirmed. Glad I haven't played it yet.

Good idea. To those that still haven't played the game at this point, I would definitely wait for the definitive version for PS4. It's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Also, congrats to ND for making an amazing game.
PerZona
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:56 PM)
PerZona's Avatar
Well deserved. It's my GOTY too.
Byron Bluth
Banned
(01-12-2014, 01:59 PM)
Most overrated game ever. People believing this is the first good story in games.

Grim Fandango had a better story and that was 16 years ago.
yurinka
Member
(01-12-2014, 01:59 PM)
yurinka's Avatar
Well deserved, it's awesome! And definetively more fresh than GTAV. Long live to the new IPs!
Theecliff
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:10 PM)
Theecliff's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

Most overrated game ever. People believing this is the first good story in games.

Grim Fandango had a better story and that was 16 years ago.

Could you point to me someone claiming it as the 'first good story in games'?
Last edited by Theecliff; 01-12-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Certinty
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:18 PM)
Certinty's Avatar
Can't believe this game is winning so much. Not that it wasn't good but so far this really does seem to be the most overrated game for a very long time.
Shin-Ra
Junior Member
(01-12-2014, 02:19 PM)
Shin-Ra's Avatar
Jesus fucking Christ.

Chills down my spine with this news.


(but seriously, with the mid-year release and massive GTA hype I expected GTAV to take the most awards this year.)
UnrealEck
so much fail
so little time
(01-12-2014, 02:19 PM)
UnrealEck's Avatar
A good game I enjoyed renting but I thought there wasn't much to it gameplay wise. I thought its strengths were mostly in the presentation.
Byron Bluth
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Theecliff

Could you point to me someone claiming it as the 'first good story in games'?

Pretty much every video or article giving it GOTY, people I speak with in person, etc.

The gameplay is nothing special and the reason why people are gushing over it is because of the story. Some have even blatantly stated that the game doesn't have anything special gameplay wise, that there are games this year with better gameplay, but the story is what made it win.

Ridiculous IMO, and GTA V won 126 awards in comparison, so it's not some resounding success for The last of Us that the OP made it seem.

Most overhyped GOTY in a long time. It's because people are just so obsessed with the characters, not because the game was actually good in anyway. I thought it was really easy, I best it on my first playthroughs on Hard and I didn't upgrade any weapon (had over 20 000 upgrade pieces left when I finished) and only upgraded maximum health, no not even the shiv defence thing.

Gameplay was easy and exploitable. For those saying it married story and gameplay together like no game did, that pretty much is BS when Ellie clips through a fucking clicker and nothing happens because the AI is coded to only react to you in certain sections, same with Bill and other AI comparisons. Lame. BioShock did it better making Elizabeth much more transparent while she was with you.
Tabby
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:21 PM)
Tabby's Avatar
Deserved. One of the better games of last gen.
Count of Monte Sawed-Off
un33dab@dpu$$y
(01-12-2014, 02:22 PM)
Count of Monte Sawed-Off's Avatar
Easily my favorite of the year. Glad others agree with me this year.
Popnbake
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:26 PM)

Originally Posted by MrCookiepants

Impressive considering the competition this year. I really thought GTA was going to sweep.

If GTA Online actually lived up to the hype without all the negative feedback then there was a good chance for that to happen.
IncandescentPrecept
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Popnbake

If GTA Online actually lived up to the hype without all the negative feedback then there was a good chance for that to happen.

I don't think GTA Online is what's stopping GTA from winning.
Certinty
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:30 PM)
Certinty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Popnbake

If GTA Online actually lived up to the hype without all the negative feedback then there was a good chance for that to happen.

If that's the case it's pathetic that GTA Online is the reason. Last time I checked The Last of Us' online was hardly memorable. GTA Online might have been a huge mess at first but the last few months it's been nothing but an amazing experience for me.
Prince Vultan
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:31 PM)
Well deserved.

I lost my shit at the posts claiming no one would remember the game in a couple of months. The exact same posts we've been reading since last June.

Not liking the game is fine, but some of the hyperbole and outright bullshit some are pushing so aggressively these days about it is outright embarassing.
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(01-12-2014, 02:34 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

Gameplay was easy and exploitable. For those saying it married story and gameplay together like no game did, that pretty much is BS when Ellie clips through a fucking clicker and nothing happens because the AI is coded to only react to you in certain sections, same with Bill and other AI comparisons. Lame. BioShock did it better making Elizabeth much more transparent while she was with you.

There are computing limitations to AI. While I would have loved to see Ellie take cover and be aware of when an enemy was in her vicinity so she could get out the way it would have melted my PS3. There are a lot of situations where your party isn't invisible, and will get attacked though, so it's not really that much of a rule. Just more obvious when it happens because it does look dumb when she's crouching on your head or whatever.

That said, it has nothing to do with the marriage of story and gameplay because that is pacing and direction related.
Daedardus
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:35 PM)
Daedardus's Avatar
While it's certainly a good game, I still can't grasp why everything must be the best to be good. Why do we like putting complex entities on a linear superlative scale so much?

Comparing games is much like comparing people. Some are good at certain facets, while others are better at different things. Choosing a best game out of them all is like choosing which one of your kids you love the most.
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(01-12-2014, 02:36 PM)
Emwitus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragonzord

MGS 4 won goty, and now I see many posts about how it's stupid and shitty and the worst MGS.

And it won game of the year twice. Years apart
Vizzeh
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by daviyoung

There are computing limitations to AI. While I would have loved to see Ellie take cover and be aware of when an enemy was in her vicinity so she could get out the way it would have melted my PS3. There are a lot of situations where your party isn't invisible, and will get attacked though, so it's not really that much of a rule. Just more obvious when it happens because it does seem dumb.

That said, it has nothing to do with the marriage of story and gameplay because that is pacing and direction related.

I have a feeling alot of that code was stripped prior to ps3 release, I think even the original demo shown small elements. Hopefully a ps4 version will include it :)
Theecliff
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:37 PM)
Theecliff's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

Pretty much every video or article giving it GOTY, people I speak with in person, etc.

The gameplay is nothing special and the reason why people are gushing over it is because of the story. Some have even blatantly stated that the game doesn't have anything special gameplay wise, that there are games this year with better gameplay, but the story is what made it win.

Ridiculous IMO, and GTA V won 126 awards in comparison, so it's not some resounding success for The last of Us that the OP made it seem.

Most overhyped GOTY in a long time. It's because people are just so obsessed with the characters, not because the game was actually good in anyway. I thought it was really easy, I best it on my first playthroughs on Hard and I didn't upgrade any weapon (had over 20 000 upgrade pieces left when I finished) and only upgraded maximum health, no not even the shiv defence thing.

Gameplay was easy and exploitable. For those saying it married story and gameplay together like no game did, that pretty much is BS when Ellie clips through a fucking clicker and nothing happens because the AI is coded to only react to you in certain sections, same with Bill and other AI comparisons. Lame. BioShock did it better making Elizabeth much more transparent while she was with you.

I want to point out that I haven't actually played the game yet so wouldn't know if the story is shit or not, but I haven't heard anyone claim it as having the first good story in videogames (which would be a ridiculously bold claim) - just people claiming it has a good one. Unless I'm misunderstanding your original complaint of people 'believing it has the first good story in games'.
Last edited by Theecliff; 01-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(01-12-2014, 02:37 PM)
RustyNails's Avatar

Originally Posted by Certinty

If that's the case it's pathetic that GTA Online is the reason. Last time I checked The Last of Us' online was hardly memorable. GTA Online might have been a huge mess at first but the last few months it's been nothing but an amazing experience for me.

Yeah TLOU's online experience was not as memorable at all. Here is a hint to ND if they are reading (and they are): Leave Team Deathmatches to the big boys CoD/BF. Focus on your strengths. Take a leaf out of Left 4 Dead's gameplay and make it survivors vs infected. That shit wouldve been tons of fun.
Uno Venova
(01-12-2014, 02:37 PM)
Uno Venova's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

snip

I think the last of us handled it much better with ai companions actually interacting with enemies in combat rather than being invisible in the situation like Elizabeth. Could you also link to these reviews talking about the game being the first great story, there's apparently a lot of them.
Vizzeh
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:39 PM)

Originally Posted by RustyNails

Yeah TLOU's online experience was not as memorable at all. Here is a hint to ND if they are reading (and they are): Leave Team Deathmatches to the big boys CoD/BF. Focus on your strengths. Take a leaf out of Left 4 Dead's gameplay and make it survivors vs infected. That shit wouldve been tons of fun.

I disagree completely. TLoU had many features that made it some peoples favorate online game last year.
Santiako
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:39 PM)
Santiako's Avatar
It's not my GOTY, but it is a damn good game, well deserved.
Rodelero
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:41 PM)
Rodelero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth


The gameplay is nothing special and the reason why people are gushing over it is because of the story. Some have even blatantly stated that the game doesn't have anything special gameplay wise, that there are games this year with better gameplay, but the story is what made it win.

Ridiculous IMO, and GTA V won 126 awards in comparison, so it's not some resounding success for The last of Us that the OP made it seem.

Most overhyped GOTY in a long time. It's because people are just so obsessed with the characters, not because the game was actually good in anyway. I thought it was really easy, I best it on my first playthroughs on Hard and I didn't upgrade any weapon (had over 20 000 upgrade pieces left when I finished) and only upgraded maximum health, no not even the shiv defence thing.

Gameplay was easy and exploitable. For those saying it married story and gameplay together like no game did, that pretty much is BS when Ellie clips through a fucking clicker and nothing happens because the AI is coded to only react to you in certain sections, same with Bill and other AI comparisons. Lame. BioShock did it better making Elizabeth much more transparent while she was with you.

Haha. Compare these issues (severity/regularity) with the GOTY's from the last two years (Skyrim, XCOM/The Walking Dead). Laughable argument.

Also, TLOU has a great multiplayer mode.
Last edited by Rodelero; 01-12-2014 at 02:44 PM.
sleeping_dragon
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:41 PM)
lol. seems like some got butthurt because is the most popular GOTY in many years and its exclusive to the PS3.
Byron Bluth
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Vizzeh

I have a feeling alot of that code was stripped prior to ps3 release, I think even the original demo shown small elements. Hopefully a ps4 version will include it :)

I feel like you guys are just talking out of your ass here. BioShock and Half Life 2 did it already and on the same console.

The AI was broken for me, there were parts where Ellie would disappear but she would be talking and the 7.1 surround made it obvious she should have been right beside me (and I know there are parts of the game where she hangs back).

In the end, 2 years straight where games with shitty gameplay get GOTY because of a greats story. (The Walking Dead last year had poor "gameplay" and a lot of bugs).
Sn4ke_911
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(01-12-2014, 02:42 PM)
Sn4ke_911's Avatar
Anyone should watch Neil Druckmann's IGDA Keynote.

Fantastic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6qIz7MjSk
Byron Bluth
Banned
(01-12-2014, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Rodelero

Haha. Compare these issues (severity/regularity) with the GOTY's from the last two years (Skyrim, XCOM/The Walking Dead). Laughable argument.

As for how easy you found it, I don't think TLOU is a game I would class as easy generally speaking. Did you turn listen mode off?

You shouldn't have to change those settings to have a challenge, I should have been able to play it on normal for a challenge! and I played it on Hard.

No the laughable argument is that games are finally getting good stories, when like I said, it was done 16 years ago by games like Grim Fandango and Half Life.

Next!
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(01-12-2014, 02:44 PM)
RustyNails's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vizzeh

I disagree completely. TLoU had many features that made it some peoples favorate online game last year.

Dont get me wrong, it's my GOTG (that's untill The Last Guardian is released ;_;), but I could not get into the online part as much as I wanted to. I actually had more fun in GTA5 online.
Coulomb_Barrier
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:45 PM)
Coulomb_Barrier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Magic Mushroom

The Last of Us is leading by a landslide.

Where can you vote in this? I haven't seen the GAF GOTY thread?
Uno Venova
(01-12-2014, 02:48 PM)
Uno Venova's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

You shouldn't have to change those settings to have a challenge, I should have been able to play it on normal for a challenge! and I played it on Hard.

No the laughable argument is that games are finally getting good stories, when like I said, it was done 16 years ago by games like Grim Fandango and Half Life.

Next!

You can't seem to chow many, or any examples of people making that argument.
Rodelero
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:49 PM)
Rodelero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Byron Bluth

You shouldn't have to change those settings to have a challenge, I should have been able to play it on normal for a challenge! and I played it on Hard.

Why should you have been able to play it on normal for a challenge? Is there some written rule that says that you, Byron Bluth, should find normal a challenge? Given what you said, you are apparently far more skilled playing games than the average Joe (congratulations), so naturally you should be trying to play on the hardest difficulty you can. You didn't.

No the laughable argument is that games are finally getting good stories, when like I said, it was done 16 years ago by games like Grim Fandango and Half Life.

I didn't make that argument. Please explain to me why games like Skyrim, XCOM, and The Walking Dead, which all have significantly more issues than TLOU, are so much more deserving.

Next!

Child.
kulapik
Member
(01-12-2014, 02:50 PM)
kulapik's Avatar

melty.fr Coca-Cola zero Gaming Zone (FR) : The Last of Us

Dat PS moneyhat

Thread Tools