• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

judhudson
(01-13-2014, 02:54 PM)
SimCity Blog - http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/ar...line-is-coming

Yes, Offline is coming as a free download with Update 10 to all SimCity players. When we launch it, all of your previously downloaded content will be available to you anytime, anywhere, without the need for an internet connection. We are in the late phases of wrapping up its development and while we want to get it into your hands as soon as possible, our priority is to make sure that it’s as polished as possible before we release it. So, until then… testing, testing and more testing. As one of the final steps, we’re putting Offline into the hands of some of our most hardcore players, the DevTesters. This group of volunteers is going to put Offline through its paces before we release it.

Bringing the game Offline means big things for our wonderful community of Modders. They can now make modifications to the game and its components without compromising the integrity of the Online game. Modding is a big part of our studio’s legacy and we’re excited to see what you guys create. Check out this thread to learn about Oppie85’s Central Train Station, which you can put into your game right now, and if you’re interested in making your own content take a look at the Modding Policy. To get you started, we will be rolling out a series of tutorials from the studio that surfaces how we’ve created some of the content that you’ve seen so far in hopes of inspiring your creativity.

I still recall them saying "SimCity Offline is NOT possible" and that the game requires too many calculations handled by the EA servers for it to not function if it were to be offline.

Ha!

But now with this announcement, perhaps I'll finally consider picking up the game now. It was my biggest gripe.
inky
(01-13-2014, 02:55 PM)
Arthur Gies redeemed!

Oh wait, what's the other word?

Originally Posted by judhudson

But now with this announcement, perhaps I'll finally consider picking up the game now. It was my biggest gripe.

Small cities that limit longevity, crap simulation, having to run multiple cities to get access to most stuff, etc. Don't bother really. It's a crappy game. The always online was just icing on the shit cake.
Last edited by inky; 01-13-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA

I wouldn't waste your money. The game is still fundamentally flawed. It's like an incredibly unambitious game built with tools that could have made something groundbreaking.
FloatingDivider
Banned
I'd care but I dont really. Call me back when it's on steam :D
Rustafur
Banned
Impossibru is nothing?

Last edited by Rustafur; 01-13-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Kinyou
(01-13-2014, 02:56 PM)
Surprised that it took so long. I guess almost a year after release they aren't too worried about piracy anymore
Hasney

Trust me, don't. It's a dull, plodding shadow of the older SimCities still even if you can play it offline.
LiK
LOL, should've been there day one.
Carl
(01-13-2014, 02:57 PM)
Wow, i thought this happened ages ago
paolo11
Blizzard should do this for Diablo 3 on PC.
Sinfamy
Let me know when they increase map size and add teraforming.
toythatkills
Must be about to turn the servers off.
neorej
ERMYGERD!
(01-13-2014, 02:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Dragonzord

I wouldn't waste your money. The game is still fundamentally flawed. It's like an incredibly unambitious game built with tools that could have made something groundbreaking.

Yup, when you look at what the sim-engine CAN do, and what it actually does.... it's underwhelming.
PriitV
(01-13-2014, 02:59 PM)
Will there be cheetah speed?
EvilKatarn
I never thought the day would come when our home computers would be as powerful as EA's SimCity Cloud Servers™.
silkysmooth
Most fun I had with the game was watching someone else play, create a bustling metropolis that became a souless, traffic congested city, and then seeing him destroy it with natural disasters.
Rustafur
Banned

Originally Posted by Sinfamy

This.
bjork

Originally Posted by toythatkills

Must be about to turn the servers off.

It's the EA way.
THEaaron
I hate myself for buying this game. I regret it so much.
theaface
Sufficiently embarassing for EA and Maxis then? Guess the whole "it's designed from the ground up to be a connected experience, we can't change it, your tiny brain couldn't possibly understand, etc." waffle was just that.
Muku
(01-13-2014, 03:00 PM)
Not interested until cities get bigger and teraforming. I really hope they add, but doubt they will. I'd love a new SC.
Shinjica

During a recent Twitter Q&A with the Maxis staff, many unsatisfied customers asked the developer to patch an offline mode, in order to prevent such an occurrence from happening again, which is a great idea and should have been implemented from the start. Unfortunately, adding offline is impossible, according to Maxis GM Lucy Bradshaw, who had this to say during the session:

“We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts.

"The game was designed for MP, we sim the entire region on the server so this is just not possible."

It was "impossible" in March and now it's happening.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
Prophet Steve
Such a technological achievement to achieve the impossible.
Nymphae
(01-13-2014, 03:01 PM)
Haha wow. I'm really glad I'm not a fan of this series, because if I was, they would have lost me with this garbage.

Also lol @ those claiming this was impossible, remember Gies's tweets about that? Who's talking out of their ass now Gies, hmm?
davidsaurus
(01-13-2014, 03:01 PM)
Lets hope they learn from their mistakes and apply them to a Sim City 2. The promise of this game was great, but the fact is that it's got some fundamental problems. Either that or they continue improvements and increase city sizes and AI over time.
WanderingWind
Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
(01-13-2014, 03:02 PM)
I wonder if this, Diablo III, ME3 ending DLC and Dragon Age 2 have finally gotten the fact that you may want to listen to your fanbase occasionally out into the public air. I hope we see less SimCity nonsense in the future.
ricochetguro
I hope bigger cities will come one day but I wonder if it's even possible given how unoptimized lightbox seemed to be when I played a bunch at launch. Constant drops to 40 FPS when the cities grew with a GTX670.

Really can look quite nice and charming so one can only imagine SimCity 4 style cities.
TheSpoiler
In other news, Gies is a liar, water is wet, etc.
Carl

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Arthur Gies in talking out of his arse shocker.
jim-jam bongs
most certainly will not be getting forcibly fucked by a gigantic canoe

Originally Posted by Muku

Not interested until cities get bigger and teraforming. I really hope they add, but doubt they will. I'd love a new SC.

If it can be modded, someone will do it even if Maxis won't.
rakhir
Did they ever fixed that fucked up agents pathfinding? I remember laughing at the water agents never visiting some parts of the cities, taxi agents riding in circles, primitive traffic agent AI that was always picking the shortest route, not the fastest (dirt road vs two lane) and always turning right on every crossroad.
Arksy
(01-13-2014, 03:03 PM)
What a fucking mess of a game. It just sucks that there's nothing on the horizon regarding a competent city building game.
The Cowboy
Cool, looking forward to playing it offline. Now if only Blizzard would do the same with Diablo 3.
Zomba13

Originally Posted by paolo11

I might end up buying it if they did that. I tried the beta or demo or whatever and it took me ages to be able to 'log in' to play my game single player and then when I was in I seemed to be lagging (as it, trouble connecting to a server lagging). Promptly uninstalled it and played some Diablo II instead.

On topic though, nice of them to finally give people the option to play this offline. No need at all to force online.
PriitV
(01-13-2014, 03:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Arksy

What a fucking mess of a game. It just sucks that there's nothing on the horizon regarding a competent city building game.

How about Banished?
inky

Originally Posted by WanderingWind

I wonder if this, Diablo III, ME3 ending DLC and Dragon Age 2 have finally gotten the fact that you may want to listen to your fanbase occasionally out into the public air. I hope we see less SimCity nonsense in the future.

Considering they released the entirety of the D3 expansion for testing, ME3 had considerable rewrites and DLC to explain the crappy ending, and DA3 has been in development for more than 12 months, I'm guessing they are starting to catch up. Just a little.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston

Originally Posted by ricochetguro

I hope bigger cities will come one day but I wonder if it's even possible given how unoptimized lightbox seemed to be when I played a bunch at launch. Constant drops to 40 FPS when the cities grew with a GTX670.

Really can look quite nice and charming so one can only imagine SimCity 4 style cities.

Awhile back they said offline mode was possible and they were looking into it, but there was nothing they could do about the small city size.
Mattias
Banned

Originally Posted by Sinfamy

This and they fix the pathfinding.
kazebyaka
Banned
(01-13-2014, 03:05 PM)
Now all i need are large (or infinitely large) cities.
Interfectum

Haha wow is this guy ever right?
Data West
coaches in the WNBA

Originally Posted by WanderingWind

Bioware's problem is that they listen too much to their fanbase.
LiK

Originally Posted by paolo11

They should and maybe add in support for console UI/controls. I'm planning to get the PS4 version when that comes out.
CecilRousso
Always Online is the future. #Gies #CliffyB.
Seanspeed
(01-13-2014, 03:06 PM)

Just in case people somehow think this news makes the game worth playing.
LCfiner
Incredibly late but at least they're working on it.

Quadruple the maximum city size and maybe they'd actually have a proper Simcity?

edit: saw post above. quadruple still isn't enough, ha
Baleoce

Entered thread for this. Gies gonna gies.
Muku

Originally Posted by jim-jam bongs

If it can be modded, someone will do it even if Maxis won't.

They'd probably do it better than Maxis anyway. Though that AI needs some help too after seeing what it was like when it came out.
shinobi602
(01-13-2014, 03:07 PM)

MmmSkyscraper
(01-13-2014, 03:07 PM)

We are in the late phases of wrapping up its development and while we want to get it into your hands as soon as possible, our priority is to make sure that it’s as polished as possible before we release it. So, until then… testing, testing and more testing.