• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

hawk2025

I just want to know the framerate...

Why is it so hard to get a solid answer on this 2 weeks before release? :(

Also, it might be telling that they are using the PS4 version to showcase the game everywhere.

Also, it might be telling that they are using the PS4 version to showcase the game everywhere.

I think we all might as well give up any hope on getting 60 frames.

We don't really need anyone to say "It's 30 FPS" to know that it's 30 FPS.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Usually when a developer is dodgy about an answer, you can typical choose the lowest common denominator. If it was 60fps, they would be touting that as a bullet point.

Pretty meh

I really hope these "definitive" versions don't become a standard thing. Black Flag PS3 vs. PS4 was a more notable difference than this - new gen, new IP please. We can start the inevitable retreads later.

Definitely a large improvement, but not $60 large.

Needs to be watched in 1080p in full screen. New Lara looks much better though.

Man, I really think they messed up the new face.

Cover her body with your hand and just look at the face. It just looks weird. Way too baby-faced.

Edit: Her skin is really oddly red too. It's like she's constantly blushing at all times. Not just her face...like her whole body.

Ahahaha I love the previous gen comment that includes 360, PS3 and PC. There is no way you can justify making this $60 when the PC version has been like $5 and still looks and runs better.

Needs to be watched in 1080p in full screen though.

True, the PS4 version does look quite a bit better.

I'm also liking the new face. The older one looks weird now.

Despite that, I think this may be better sold at ~ $40. Then again, maybe that's because I've already played it on PC. Maybe $60 would be fine for those that never gave it a chance.

Aside from Lara's character model, the game looks identical to the one I played a year ago.

It blows my mind that they decided to re-release the game at all, let alone charge $60 for it. I would be incredibly shocked if this sold well.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think it's cool what they're doing, but it's not a good enough reason for me to double dip. People who skipped over the game last gen should definitely give it a shot when the price is at a comfortable level for them though.

hawk2025

...this is going to be another PC vs. Consoles thread, isn't it?

Trying to bring it back on-topic: We know that this version will include all of the multiplayer DLC, but have we seen yet that part running? The multiplayer was particularly crappy on consoles before, I think I might give it another shot if they fixed it up nicely for this version.

SJRB

Gold Member
If this is supposed to sell me on their 65 euros "definitive" edition, they failed.

Also still not feeling facelift Lara. Tomb Raider is a good game, buy it for PC people.

So wait, how much did they genuinely change from the PC version to this new enhanced version? I've only played the 360 version, so obviously its a huge bump up, but I know the PC version was absolutely gorgeous.

dEvAnGeL

My latest upgrade, which will allow me to play this downsampled at 1080/60, cost me 300. So....

your latest upgrade, what about the rest you didnt upgrade? we know PC games look better, perform better, i have a gaming PC, but to blatantly compare performance per dollar with a ps4 is kind of silly, that console gives you very good visuals for a very affordable price, nobody can deny that

Ahasverus

Impressive, the original Tomb Raider is the best looking game I've seen on the 360 and got better, welp, the new Lara model fits better for some reason.

Xav

The comparison video mainly highlights how great Tomb Raider looks on current gen systems. I'll likely double dip once the price drops to a reasonable level, no way I'm paying full price for this.

eliochip

Liked what I saw. I played this on PC with pretty good settings, but i'd love to play this again with those enhancements.

BigDug13

30fps 1080p for $60

60+FPS 1080p+ for less than $10

Will the graphical bells and whistles of the PS4 version be better than 2x or more framerates of the old graphics?

Needs to be watched in 1080p in full screen. New Lara looks much better though.

I did - not seein' it. The IQ and effects just haven't seen enough of a bump to be calling this next gen, or to be charging 60. The character model is definitely the best part, and the lighting is better, but even then...

If this kind of bullshit is going to happen, it needs to drop some jaws. Otherwise, it's just a cash grab. Which Square Enix are highly likely to get down on, given we know they were disappointed with initial game sales (a lol in and of itself).

I'm very impressed with the TressFX. They have the movement much more realistic in this version compared to the PC version. That said, the PC version at 4K is glorious. It'd be nice to see these changes make their way over but I doubt that will happen.

Top Bottom