• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Montreal bringing Tetris to next-gen consoles

SJRB

Gold Member
Today, Ubisoft® and The Tetris® Company announced a partnership to develop the iconic Tetris franchise for digital channels on Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the Sony PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

The Tetris franchise celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2014 and has sold hundreds of millions of units worldwide across more than 50 different platforms since its launch in 1984. Tetris-branded products are available in more than 50 languages and in 185 countries around the world. Ubisoft draws from experience in creating memorable experiences for casual gamers with licenses such as The Smurfs™ and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World™, as well as the recent announcement of a partnership with Hasbro.

“We welcome Ubisoft to the Tetris family. I am 100% sure they will develop one of the best versions of the Tetris game ever,” said Henk B. Rogers, managing director of The Tetris Company, LLC.

“We’re very excited to start working with this world-renowned brand, and can’t wait to combine Ubisoft’s expertise and all the capacities of next-gen consoles to create an exciting new Tetris experience for fans,” added Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft co-founder and CEO.

Link [beware, this site layout is very in-your-face]

Thoughts?

mclem

Finally, a franchise can breathe without being held back by the limitations of the previous generation.

marrec

Banned
I'm looking forward to a version of Tetris made by a multinational team that respects all creeds and religions.

Nymphae

Banned
Nothing will ever come close to Tetris DS.

Nothing beats the Grandmaster series. I'm really pissed that those games have essentially outlawed by the Tetris Company because it doesn't follow their shitty rule set. The closest thing you have is "Radical" mode, which does 20G tetris, but the lock times and rotation are still easy mode.

Even though it probably won't be mindblowing, I will definitely pick this up.

esterk

tumblr_lx6tic5sFo1r9x0sdo1_400.gif

Next gen Tetris? I'm in.

ccbfan

Isn't Tetris DS the one where you can cheat and keep turning so you can't lose?

Sure the side games are good but if you can't even get the base Tetris game right, you fail at Tetris.

Soroc

Jeez Wii U can't even get Tetris, I mean yeah skip the company that made it a worldwide phenomenon. LOL

This is not port begging, just an observation

Nymphae

Banned

Sure the side games are good but if you can't even get the base Tetris game right, you fail at Tetris.

Yes that is the one, it allowed for infinite rotation which many players feel ruins the game.

The infinite rotation really doesn't bother me, if you want to take 45 seconds to place one piece, have at it. I'm busy sending Tetris's at you.

Infinite Spin has been adopted to the official Tetris rules and license since 2006. Every official release Tetris game MUST implement infinite spin.

bryehn

Jeez Wii U can't even get Tetris, I mean yeah skip the company that made it a worldwide phenomenon. LOL

This is not port begging, just an observation

But Tengen has been gone for a long time and doesn't have a platform.

MechDX

Next gen killer app.

UNO was that on the X360. Hours and hours spent playing that when it came out. remember playing a game online when it came out and a friend saying "Isnt it awesome how we spend thousands of dollars on HDTVs and surround systems so we can play UNO online for hours?"

What a pleasant surprise! I remember good ol' "Tetris" on the Nintendo and the PC. Weird that it's laid dormant for so long.

CalebW

Banned

Yep, that's why it isn't the best Tetris ever. Tetris DX for life.

UNO was that on the X360. Hours and hours spent playing that when it came out. remember playing a game online when it came out and a friend saying "Isnt it awesome how we spend thousands of dollars on HDTVs and surround systems so we can play UNO online for hours?"

My god the things I saw playing Uno on the 360.

Top Bottom