• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

gran turismo 4: #28 in 2005
gran turismo 5: #10 in 2010
gran turismo 6: #63 in 2013

i always thought this series had more love.

Well GT5 did but GT6 was not bought by many people and some felt like GT3- --> 4 that it was more of a retread. A PS4 GT would no doubt do significantly better.

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance
01. The Last of Us (3.29)
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
03. Europa Universalis IV (2.80)
04. Super Mario 3D World (2.74)
05. Persona 4 Golden (2.59)
06. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2.56)
07. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (2.55)
08. Fire Emblem Awakening (2.54)
09. Grand Theft Auto V (2.53)
10. The Wonderful 101 (2.51)
11. Shin Megami Tensei IV (2.41)
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2.41)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
14. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2.36)
15. Final Fantasy IV: A Realm Reborn (2.33)
16. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.32)
17. Rocksmith 2014 (2.31)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)
19. BioShock Infinite (2.29)
20. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (2.24)
The only list that matters to me frankly, as it is not biased towards widely popular games. Bioshock averaged merely 2.29 points and earned its place #2 solely due to its high sales.

GamerJM

Banned
smt iv sold about 100,000 units in the us and wasn't released in europe at all so...

...yeah.

don't know how that explains w101 + tearaway though.

GAF seems to love both of those games, moreso than SMT4 I'd argue. Rightfully so as they're really unique and creative titles.

My list was quite different to this... but the right game won, TLOU is just incredible.
WRT GTA I'm in the "it's an impressive game but is way too frustrating in lots of ways" camp, and since launch I've been surprised at how many people share my view.

demidar

As if I needed any more reassurance that my tastes are wildly different from everyone's.

Tearaway making it so high is a surprise. Same with BInfinite.

Eusis

My list was quite different to this... but the right game won, TLOU is just incredible.
WRT GTA I'm in the "it's an impressive game but is way too frustrating in lots of ways" camp, and since launch I've been surprised at how many people share my view.
... Actually, that is a good point, Rockstar games have typically been kind of janky. Definitely an area Naughty Dog and Irrational destroyed them in.

Corto

Great work Cheesemeister and Timeto kill. Can't thank you enough for all your yearly work on these threads. You guys rock!

Ctrl+F Shadow Warrior = 0 Results

:'(

I feel that more people here need to play Shadow Warrior

I will, I promise! If it's indeed that good it will be my 2014 2013 LTTP GOTY

Uh, whaaaaat? These are adventure games?! *rubs eyes* Did someone just forget to write action-adventure or some other thing that encompasses this? Brothers is alright there though. I get that this was a year where not many high-class adventure games released (except for The Inner World, The Novelist, and Gone Home) and most of them were not finished because of episodic nature (Broken Sword 5, Kentucky Route Zero, The Wolf Among Us, etc). But come on, adventure games usually means no combat and mostly exploration with story. I guess I need to revise what people think are adventure games.

adventure.png
gtav.png

Adventure Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V = 1058 points, 38 honorable mentions
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds = 905 points, 16 honorable mentions
3. Tomb Raider = 486 points, 39 honorable mentions
4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag = 437 points, 21 honorable mentions
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons = 336 points, 16 honorable mentions

Nice to see Metro Last Light love!
fps.png
bsi.png

FPS Game of the Year: BioShock Infinite = 1080 points, 34 honorable mentions
2. Metro: Last Light = 125 points, 8 honorable mentions
3. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon = 106 points, 13 honorable mentions
4. Battlefield 4 = 97 points, 5 honorable mentions
5. Killzone: Shadow Fall = 88 points, 7 honorable mentions

NICE NICE NICE!
puzzle.png
swap.png

2577669-0190699586-ibpTl.gif

Puzzle Game of the Year: The Swapper = 103 points, 7 honorable mentions
2. Gunpoint = 90 points, 15 honorable mentions
3. Antichamber = 85 points, 3 honorable mentions
4. Toki Tori 2 = 23 points
5. Thomas Was Alone = 13 points, 2 honorable mentions

Props for those Race The Sun noms!
racing.png
srace.png

Racing Game of the Year: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed = 60 points, 5 honorable mentions
2. Gran Turismo 6 = 53 points, 3 honorable mentions
3. Need for Speed Rivals = 28 points, 2 honorable mentions
4. Forza Motorsport 5 = 21 points
5. 3D Super Hang-On = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. Asphalt 8: Airborne = 5 points
5. Race the Sun = 5 points

Soundodger+ love, nice :D
rhythm.png
rsmith.png

Rhythm Game of the Year: Rocksmith 2014 = 30 points, 3 honorable mentions
2. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F = 21 points, 2 honorable mentions
3. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 = 6 points
4. Soundodger+ = 4 points
5. HarmoKnight = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions

Ooh great work chubigans on Cook, Serve, Delicious!
simulation.png
acnl.png

Simulation Game of the Year: Animal Crossing: New Leaf = 281 points, 17 honorable mentions
2. Papers, Please = 275 points, 24 honorable mentions
3. Attack of the Friday Monsters! = 19 points, 4 honorable mentions
4. Surgeon Simulator 2013 = 9 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. Cook, Serve, Delicious! = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions

I really need to get a Vita for Tearaway.
Vita Exclusive Game of the Year: Tearaway = 454 points, 18 honorable mentions
2. Persona 4 Golden = 83 points, 1 honorable mention
3. Soul Sacrifice = 64 points, 9 honorable mentions

Simogo developer cleaning up!
Mobile Exclusive Game of the Year: Device 6 = 21 points, 1 honorable mention
2. Year Walk = 11 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. Cook, Serve, Delicious! = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions

LANG ZONE!
Fighting Game of the Year: Injustice: Gods Among Us = 51 points, 5 honorable mentions
2. Divekick = 21 points, 1 honorable mention
3. Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus R = 4 points

Kaswa101

Good list. :) TLOU really swept it all.

Glad AC4 made the top 10 too, but I wish it was higher up lol. Amazing step-up from AC3 imo.

abrack08

Surprised (but glad) Infinite got second. I guess it's easy to be fooled by the (apparently relatively small group of) detractors in almost every BI thread. Personally I thought it was amazing, and I don't normally even like FPSs.

Would have been nice to see SMT4, but I guess it just didn't have the sales (and didn't come out in EU of course)

ViviOggi

Ctrl+F Shadow Warrior = 0 Results

:'(

I feel that more people here need to play Shadow Warrior

Its encounter design went downhill so fast in the second half that, within 2-3 hours, I had absolutely no desire to finish it left. It's a shame.

MGR and NnK making it is great. FE: Awakening is way too high up there.

Ys is nowhere to be seen, but also not out in europe.

yo, where is Dragons Crown.

I dont recognize many ppl from the buddy list this year, weird.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't get how MGR got this high though.

One of the ugliest and most repetitive games i've played in years.
Boss fights are all the same, the areas are so drab it hurts the soul, every enemy encounter is exactly the same..
Nah, I had to force myself to finish it. If that was one of the best games of the year, 2013 was a terrible year.

Riposte

I too was fooled by detractors on BioShock Infinite. On the matter of predictions, I wouldn't have thought Fire Emblem would get higher than Rising and Tomb Raider higher than Black Flag. Other than that, about what I'd expect, which I'm not saying in a snobby tone.

2013 was the year of overhyped, average or disappointing titles. I hope this year will be better.

This kind of talk fits my image of you dispassionately playing games because of lacking much else to do.

Boss fights are all the same, the areas are so drab it hurts the soul, every enemy encounter is exactly the same..
Nah, I had to force myself to finish it. If that was one of the best games of the year, 2013 was a terrible year.

People, at least action game fans, generally don't agree with you, especially on the matters you listed. That's how.

hohoXD123

Very nice list, good to see Tearaway getting some recognition. Bit disappointing that Puppeteer didn't win anything though.

AniHawk

not every game can be ni no kuni

Category G

Neo Member
The only game of the top 20 which I actually beat comes in at number 16, guess my tastes in gaming really are quite different (granted I do own Bioshock: Infinite and Metal Gear Rising, just not loaded them up yet). D:

Temujin

Good list. The top 20 has 5 handheld games (or 6 if you count Guacamelee!). If you don't have a 3DS and Vita, you're missing out on a lot of quality games.

Berto

I'm very glad Bioshock Infinite managed to get 2nd place dispite all the backlash it gets here. I never understood why people are not that critical and demanding about other flawed games like GTA V and The Last of Us as they are with Bioshock.

It's very unfortunate to not see Europa universalis IV but thats kinda expected because it's a niche and not very well known game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
not every game can be ni no kuni

Ni No Kuni honestly made me happy when I played it, a smile from ear to ear from the visuals, sound, Ghibli art-style, writing and combat and mechanics.

In comparison, MGR almost made me want to shoot myself.

Eusis

This kind of talk fits my image of you dispassionately playing games because of lacking much else to do.
Heh, I considered it more a year of lots of very good games but few that were great. But I'll take it over some of the years we've had which seem to be just barren with only a few games really worth paying attention to. I think 1996 was like that with the generational shift and general winding down of Genesis/SNES though they still had a few explosive games and the year ended very well at least.

Corto

After checking the affinity data I just want to say that I speel my dreenk, megalowho, Drek, EvaristeG, jetsetrez, Apdiddy, McBacon, acevans2, Osla and haikira are all fine gents in my book! Drinks are on me tonight. Cheers!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i haven't played it. i just seem to remember that repetitiveness seemed to be one of its main complaints.
I wrote stuff about it. Lots of stuff. I thought it was one of the most inelegantly-designed games I'd played all year with an inefficient and half-baked battle system, repetitive sidequests, repetitive game design, a last act that feels like a direct-to-DVD movie, terrible pacing, horrible AI, spoonfed answers, an inadequate monster-capture system, and it ends up giving you mechanics 12-20 hours into the game when you could have used it hours earlier.

wow, Wonderful 101 actually made it in. I probably would have voted Rayman, but didn't finish it until today :(
Now off to check the affinity charts, I love that you guys manage to have something like that.

Riposte

Heh, I considered it more a year of lots of very good games but few that were great. But I'll take it over some of the years we've had which seem to be just barren with only a few games really worth paying attention to. I think 1996 was like that with the generational shift and general winding down of Genesis/SNES though they still had a few explosive games and the year ended very well at least.

I honestly can't name a bad year in videogames in recent memory. Maybe bad years in genres, but not the medium as a whole. My taste is pretty wide as far as genres go and I go out of my way to expand it, so YMMV.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Surprised The Wonderful 101 actually came that close to the top ten, above Gone Home, Papers Please, and Two Brothers. I guess those that loved it really, truly loved it (and rightly so).

The Last of Us was a predictable winner, seeing the trend in ballots. If it wasn't at the top it was still on a huge amount of lists.

Infinite ranks a lot higher than I predicted. It may have only just edged out GTAV, but I figured if anything would give The Last of Us some heat it would be Rockstar, not Irrational. Didn't expect Super Mario 3D World to rate so highly too. Not sure why, just gut feeling.

Not surprised to see A Link Between worlds make the list. Lots of praise on GAF, appearing on a lot of ballots.

Rising rates a little lower than I expected, but only by a couple of points. Again, not surprised it's in the top ten. Appeared on a lot of ballots.

Tearaway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I guess Black Flag is the Creed that won some tired franchise fans over.

Top Bottom