• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 09:40 PM)
ixix's Avatar
Update: The January 22 patch for the game fixes the issue, and the cutscene now plays without freezing.

Summary version: Final Fantasy 6 for Android has a major glitch that renders the game unplayable a little less than halfway through. Don't buy it until Square Enix addresses it.

In the recently released Final Fantasy 6 for Android at the scene in Thamasa just under halfway through the game, I and numerous others have encountered an unavoidable hard freeze at the moment where (FF6 plot spoiler alert) Kefka tells General Leo that the image of Gestahl was an illusion. The game hard locks and the only way to get out of it is to return to the home screen and kill the process.

At present, I've found no way to get past the freeze, and I've encountered no reports on the internet of someone successfully getting past it. This section of the game is a major story sequence that can't be skipped, effectively rendering the game unplayable past this point.

It's been reported to occur across a wide range of devices, and seems to be an issue with the game itself, not an incompatibility issue with certain hardware.

On the flipside, this means that Final Fantasy 6 for Android is, technically speaking, the first ever version of the game where General Leo doesn't die.

So huzzah for that, I guess.

References:
Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread
GameFAQs thread on the issue
Last edited by ixix; 01-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Rubicaant
Junior Member
(01-19-2014, 09:48 PM)
I've submitted a support email to Square Enix, they have yet to reply. $16.00 for this is insulting.
thecharrr
Member
(01-19-2014, 09:52 PM)
thecharrr's Avatar
So pretty much quite a few flagship devices have the bug? That's not good.
Last edited by thecharrr; 01-19-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Wazzy
Member
(01-19-2014, 09:54 PM)
Wazzy's Avatar
That's a pretty ridiculous glitch to have.
Jazzy Network
Member
(01-19-2014, 09:58 PM)
Jazzy Network's Avatar
I don't have one of the devices listed. Hurray. Also I won't buy till it goes on sale, which every FF on Android has almost a few weeks after they get released.
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 09:59 PM)
ixix's Avatar
Further evidence that this is something of a serious issue: the game can't be screencapped properly once the glitch happens. This is the result:

The missing bottom half of the screen should be a dialogue box reading "That was an illu" but the screen grabber can't see it, apparently.

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

I don't have one of the devices listed. Hurray. Also I won't buy till it goes on sale, which every FF on Android has almost a few weeks after they get released.

That's not an exhaustive list of hardware it occurs on; it's only the ones that have been directly reported to have had the glitch occur. It seems highly likely that this is a universal problem that will require a patch to fix.

Bottom line: do not buy this game until SE says something about the issue.

Actually I think I should add a summary at the top of the OP.
Last edited by ixix; 01-19-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Jazzy Network
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:03 PM)
Jazzy Network's Avatar
I doubt Square gives a shit. Hell Chrono Trigger is still unplayable to like 80% of Android users.
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 10:06 PM)
ixix's Avatar
I would also like to once again put forward my suggestion that this game be referred to colloquially as "Final Fantasy 6: Hot Mess Edition".

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

I doubt Square gives a shit. Hell Chrono Trigger is still unplayable to like 80% of Android users.

Well this is looking like it might be an even larger percentage of users, so... I rather hope they elect to give a shit. Or two, if possible.
EvilKatarn
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:07 PM)
EvilKatarn's Avatar
So, not only is it ugly but it also doesn't work.

Great, just great.
BY2K
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:07 PM)
BY2K's Avatar

Galaxy Note 2

God damn it.
Chindogg
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:08 PM)
Chindogg's Avatar
The future of traditional gaming!
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 10:13 PM)
ixix's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvilKatarn

So, not only is it ugly but it also doesn't work.

Great, just great.

It's really kind of impressive in a way, isn't it?

Can't nobody fuck up a port the way Square Enix can fuck up a port.
udivision
(01-19-2014, 10:17 PM)
udivision's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chindogg

The future of traditional gaming!

Don't go there.

Especially when the connection isn't very strong.
Shiina
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:20 PM)
Shiina's Avatar

Originally Posted by udivision

Don't go there.

Especially when the connection isn't very strong.

10/10
Magnus
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:21 PM)
Magnus's Avatar
Hope this is absent from the iOS version, and that no other such bugs exist in the rest of the game.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:23 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar
I am shocked that this incredibly well put-together product that seemed to have so much care poured in to it has what appears to be a major hole.
Zee-Row
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:24 PM)
Zee-Row's Avatar
This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(01-19-2014, 10:24 PM)
Suikoguy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.

Not in this case, too many flagship hardware types being effected.
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 10:26 PM)
ixix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.

But in this case all the fragmented hardware seems to be in agreement, and what they are all saying in unison is "Fuck this noise, Leo lives."

I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda want an FF7 port with a roughly equivalent glitch now, honestly.
vareon
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:26 PM)
vareon's Avatar
Playtesting for mobile device is a bitch, but yeah the first step for SE is to acknowledge this first.
Jazzy Network
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:28 PM)
Jazzy Network's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.

Get this shit out of here. It's 2014. This shit belongs in 2010.
Uncle Rupee
Jump! Hammer! It's all in the mind!
(01-19-2014, 10:28 PM)
Uncle Rupee's Avatar
Karma.
But in all seriousness, they'll probably fix it within the year.
Prelude.
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:29 PM)
Prelude.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Windows is bad. Wait...

It's Square Enix, plain and simple. All of ther mobile efforts are garbage.
Zee-Row
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:31 PM)
Zee-Row's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prelude.

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Windows is bad. Wait...

It's Square Enix, plain and simple. All of ther mobile efforts are garbage.

PC is a different story since settings can be tweaked. You can't do that with Apps.
Cheeky
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:34 PM)
Cheeky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

I doubt Square gives a shit. Hell Chrono Trigger is still unplayable to like 80% of Android users.

Dont remind me, it baffles me that it just wont work on anything above 4.2(i believe) and it hasnt been fixed... ever.

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

This is probably why having fragmented hardware on Android is bad.

Nah, this is purely Square-enix. as said, Chrono trigger just wont work on devices past 4.2 even if they worked before.
Last edited by Cheeky; 01-19-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Prelude.
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:35 PM)
Prelude.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

PC is a different story since settings can be tweaked. You can't do that with Apps.

It's not a matter of settings. Do you usually create a patch if a PC game doesn't work?
SpaceDrake
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:35 PM)
SpaceDrake's Avatar
Mother of twelve bastards. FFVI deserves better than this, and the game would crash on my phone regardless. Unbelievable.
railGUN
Prine Fan
(01-19-2014, 10:37 PM)
railGUN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chindogg

The future of traditional gaming!

Because of a buggy Final Fantasy port? Really?
vareon
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:38 PM)
vareon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheeky

Dont remind me, it baffles me that it just wont work on anything above 4.2(i believe) and it hasnt been fixed... ever.

...what!? I was planning to buy it sometime.
Cheeky
Member
(01-19-2014, 10:48 PM)
Cheeky's Avatar

Originally Posted by vareon

...what!? I was planning to buy it sometime.

Well i would suggest not, it wont even start on devices with android 4.3 or higher.
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-19-2014, 10:52 PM)
ixix's Avatar
Well upon fiddling a bit more it appears you don't need to kill the process, it actually dies all on its own a second or two after it loses focus when you return to the home screen. So it's not so much a freeze as a crash, I guess? I dunno the technical terminology 'cuz I'm not a QA tester.

Actually, on that note, this seems like an opportune time for a reminder:

Dear Square Enix,

I am not a QA tester.

xoxo
ixix
DonDraper
Junior Member
(01-19-2014, 11:44 PM)

Originally Posted by ixix

Well upon fiddling a bit more it appears you don't need to kill the process, it actually dies all on its own a second or two after it loses focus when you return to the home screen. So it's not so much a freeze as a crash, I guess? I dunno the technical terminology 'cuz I'm not a QA tester.

Actually, on that note, this seems like an opportune time for a reminder:

Dear Square Enix,

I am not a QA tester.

xoxo
ixix

I do come from a QA background and something like this is horribly incompetent. I get that's its hard to test across so many different devices, but you should at least have many of the flagship devices covered. At least! A progression breaker like this just says sloppy and poor QA and/or producers who didn't give a fuck. I bet dollars to donuts that the producers were aware of this issue and said "fuck it!", thinking it may be device specific and hoping it was just a small minority of devices.
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(01-19-2014, 11:44 PM)
Yoshichan's Avatar
Hopefully this shit is fixed for the iOS version.
Stumpokapow
AFK, please contact someone else for help
(01-19-2014, 11:46 PM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar
I think you erred by reporting this as "hardware this is reported to freeze on" rather than assuming it freezes on all hardware, and simply listing exceptions if any are found. Are there any devices where users have gotten past this point successfully yet?
Necromanti
Member
(01-19-2014, 11:57 PM)
Necromanti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

I think you erred by reporting this as "hardware this is reported to freeze on" rather than assuming it freezes on all hardware, and simply listing exceptions if any are found. Are there any devices where users have gotten past this point successfully yet?

I was wondering the same thing. Because if it's the case that it is impossible to progress further on any device, then...the game is fundamentally broken to the core, and Square-Enix didn't even test it at all to see if it worked.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(01-20-2014, 12:00 AM)
Mpl90's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

I am shocked that this incredibly well put-together product that seemed to have so much care poured in to it has what appears to be a major hole.

*boom*

My sarcasm meter. It just...exploded. Wow.
CronoShot
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:01 AM)
CronoShot's Avatar
Chrono Trigger's been completely broken since 4.3 came out. They even have a little message on Google Play (with a typo, no less) saying it would be fixed "in the coming days." That was 6 months ago.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix.
DonDraper
Junior Member
(01-20-2014, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Necromanti

I was wondering the same thing. Because if it's the case that it is impossible to progress further on any device, then...the game is fundamentally broken to the core, and Square-Enix didn't even test it at all to see if it worked.

It's entirely possible they barely did much testing. I've been part of Android releases with very little testing due to their lax submissions process. But a huge thing like this from a large company? I have no words for how low things have gotten for SE. So far remove from my fond memories.
SilverArrow20XX
Junior Member
(01-20-2014, 12:27 AM)
As someone who works as a QA Tester for EA, I know what it's like to find an issue and have the devs say "Fuck it, that's not worth fixing", but an issue like this is ridiculous. A game ending hard lock like that is an A class bug that is a mandatory, top priority fix. We'd immediately be cross checking on other devices to see if it occurs on those too. With a team of at least 5 or 6 people on different devices playing the game for 40 hours a week, I highly doubt they wouldn't have found this issue. I also highly doubt that that "espier" typo wouldn't be spotted. I'm having doubts that this went through QA at all.
kiryogi
Considers fanny-packs to be the utmost in haute fashion. :x
(01-20-2014, 12:29 AM)
kiryogi's Avatar
D: Well this is further depressing.
Chacranajxy
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:29 AM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar
And here I thought the graphics were the only thing leaving me cold.
Corleth the Fey
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:34 AM)
Corleth the Fey's Avatar
Reminds me of me having my Imported US FFIII (aka FF6. PAL user here) SNES cartridge crash through my convertor adaptor back in the day. Phoenix cave, and a guaranteed lock up halfway through the end sequence. Square Enix keeping it real for me!
ixix
Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
(01-20-2014, 12:39 AM)
ixix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

I think you erred by reporting this as "hardware this is reported to freeze on" rather than assuming it freezes on all hardware, and simply listing exceptions if any are found. Are there any devices where users have gotten past this point successfully yet?

Yeah, that was a mistake in retrospect. I'm just gonna edit that out because it seems to be making people think "If I don't have one of these devices I'm golden" instead of making them think "Well hot diggity, this is pretty much a universal problem, innit?" which is more what I was going for.

If anybody has gotten past this point they haven't said anything about it on the internet, near as I can tell.
VoidZero
Banned
(01-20-2014, 12:49 AM)
Wow, one should expect for them to do a proper QA for the price they're asking.
Random Painted HIghway
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:52 AM)
Random Painted HIghway's Avatar
Ouch plz have fixed for ios release thx
May16
(01-20-2014, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Rubicaant

I've submitted a support email to Square Enix, they have yet to reply. $16.00 for this is insulting.

I have yet to have a good experience with Square Enix customer service.
heringer
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:57 AM)
heringer's Avatar
So that's why they released on Android first. Free QA.
rpmurphy
Member
(01-20-2014, 12:59 AM)
rpmurphy's Avatar
Also read in the reviews that the game flat-out doesn't work if you have Xposed installed? What is that about?
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(01-20-2014, 01:03 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar
What a joke, SE should fix this ASAP.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(01-20-2014, 01:04 AM)
Mpl90's Avatar

Originally Posted by SilverArrow20XX

As someone who works as a QA Tester for EA, I know what it's like to find an issue and have the devs say "Fuck it, that's not worth fixing", but an issue like this is ridiculous. A game ending hard lock like that is an A class bug that is a mandatory, top priority fix. We'd immediately be cross checking on other devices to see if it occurs on those too. With a team of at least 5 or 6 people on different devices playing the game for 40 hours a week, I highly doubt they wouldn't have found this issue. I also highly doubt that that "espier" typo wouldn't be spotted. I'm having doubts that this went through QA at all.

For the love of God, tell me you didn't tested Battlefield 4, please.

Thread Tools