• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 6 for Android seems to have a major freezing glitch

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
For the love of God, tell me you didn't tested Battlefield 4, please.

No, I'm on The Sims 4. I also tested the Future expansion pack for The Sims 3 as well as a few stuff packs. I also worked on a few Madden games and a UFC game a few years ago. Madden is really bad with the devs refusing to fix bugs we find. Doesn't help that half of us (myself included) couldn't care less about football. The Sims is pretty great though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Maybe I should have tabloid-ed the thread title up a bit. Something like SQUARE ENIX DEATH WATCH: Moribund shell of once-good developer shamelessly demands premium price for unfinishable game would have been a fair bit more attention-grabbing.

Probably hit a character limit, tho.

So that's why they released on Android first. Free QA.

Maybe I should send them an invoice.

terrisus

On the flipside, this means that Final Fantasy 6 for Android is, technically speaking, the first ever version of the game where
General Leo doesn't die.

SNES Game Genie codes where you got to play as
General Leo
were always fun.
The GGCCC (Game Genie Code Creators Club) back in the mid-90s came up with all sorts of nifty things.

MechaX

Man, and this is what worries me about SE's approach on mobile; They want to go full steam ahead but with absolutely none of the effort. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Eusis

Man, and this is what worries me about SE's approach on mobile; They want to go full steam ahead but with absolutely none of the effort. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, if we were seeing legitimate high quality, non-exploitive works there I think people would just be miffed they don't port those to handhelds too. As is it just feels like they're digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole as far as quality is concerned and are absolutely self destructive. Have to hope this burns them on the ass so they shape up, peacefully or violently.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As someone who works as a QA Tester for EA, I know what it's like to find an issue and have the devs say "Fuck it, that's not worth fixing", but an issue like this is ridiculous. A game ending hard lock like that is an A class bug that is a mandatory, top priority fix. We'd immediately be cross checking on other devices to see if it occurs on those too. With a team of at least 5 or 6 people on different devices playing the game for 40 hours a week, I highly doubt they wouldn't have found this issue. I also highly doubt that that "espier" typo wouldn't be spotted. I'm having doubts that this went through QA at all.

Good point. It does seem like this is something QA would have caught right away. Particularly the "espier" typo, doesn't it appear at the very beginning of the game? It beggars belief that not a single tester would have reported it, so it's almost more logical to assume there was no QA at all, though that's really pathetic.

redgaffer

Neo Member
No, I'm on The Sims 4. I also tested the Future expansion pack for The Sims 3 as well as a few stuff packs. I also worked on a few Madden games and a UFC game a few years ago. Madden is really bad with the devs refusing to fix bugs we find. Doesn't help that half of us (myself included) couldn't care less about football. The Sims is pretty great though.

I wonder, did anybody not pick up on the horribly horrible pathing issues Sims 3 suffers from? I can never stay in a town too long without turning into a horribly laggy mess.

ixix

As someone who works as a QA Tester for EA, I know what it's like to find an issue and have the devs say "Fuck it, that's not worth fixing", but an issue like this is ridiculous. A game ending hard lock like that is an A class bug that is a mandatory, top priority fix. We'd immediately be cross checking on other devices to see if it occurs on those too. With a team of at least 5 or 6 people on different devices playing the game for 40 hours a week, I highly doubt they wouldn't have found this issue. I also highly doubt that that "espier" typo wouldn't be spotted. I'm having doubts that this went through QA at all.

There's also the sheer insanity of Sabin's Blitz menu not telling you how to do the moves. There's no way you can play through the game without immediately realizing that that renders all but one of his abilities effectively useless unless you refer to the internet, but even if you do that you can't map some of the inputs for previous versions onto the new Blitz input system they devised.

I figured out how to use Suplex after about half an hour of trial and error, but that was only two inputs I had to guess. I still have no idea how to use Chakra, because absolutely none of the buttons the move originally used exist in the Android version. Where are you even supposed to start the process of figuring out a six-input move through the guess and check method?

Good point. It does seem like this is something QA would have caught right away. Particularly the "espier" typo, doesn't it appear at the very beginning of the game? It beggars belief that not a single tester would have reported it, so it's almost more logical to assume there was no QA at all, though that's really pathetic.

It's literally the first scene, with Biggs, Wedge, and Terra on the cliff overlooking Narshe.

SilverArrow20XX

I wonder, did anybody not pick up on the horribly horrible pathing issues Sims 3 suffers from? I can never stay in a town too long without turning into a horribly laggy mess.

Yeah bro. I personally dropped at least 2 routing bugs a week. It's incredibly difficult to find all of them. Most of the times these issues would only occur in very specific setups, and each issue is an unrelated problem. Never had any bad lagging problems though, and I was testing on a low spec machine. Now, I only worked on Sims 3 at the very end of its life span during the production of its final expansion pack, so it was probably worse before, but trust me when I say we cleared up a ton of stuff before release. Even now that most of the team has moved on to Sims 4, we still have a few guys on Sims 3 for patches.

DonDraper

Banned

When I was a QA Lead at Activision I sometimes had some stupid testers on my teams who couldn't spell correctly to save their lives. So while I have no doubt that this possibly wasn't tested at all, I would also believe the testers were just too stupid to realize what was there.

SilverArrow20XX

When I was a QA Lead at Activision I sometimes had some stupid testers on my teams who couldn't spell correctly to save their lives. So while I have no doubt that this possibly wasn't tested at all, I would also believe the testers were just too stupid to realize what was there.

Even then, I would think you would have to have at least a few who do. I've spent entire weeks doing text sweeps of games and weeding out every error I could find. It's easy to do and it has a high bug number yield, so I'd always hop right on that during ad-hoc time. You seriously didn't have a single guy like that? I mean, it only takes one grammar nazi on a team to do a text sweep.

MrXee

Unconfirmed Member
I would be curious what the android SDK console logs have to say about this crash... If I reach that point in the game I'll have a look see and figure out what happens

Truespeed

For extra credit you could post the stack trace of the exception. It should be located in data/system/dropbox. You'll need root to navigate to it, though.

While they're at it, they can remove the archaic "MY GAME WON'T LAUNCH IF YOU'RE ROOTED" B.S. because I'm unhappy about having a game I can't play on my phone (well, 'having'...I guess I did technically own it for 10 minutes...got a refund once it wouldn't launch for me.)

I'm not bitter about that or anything.

ixix

I would be curious what the android SDK console logs have to say about this crash... If I reach that point in the game I'll have a look see and figure out what happens

I guess I could hook up USB to my tablet and run logcat and cause the crash again, but it takes a little while to get there from the nearest save point and, y'know,

Yeah let's do Square Enix's job.

I rather agree with this sentiment.

DonDraper

Banned
Even then, I would think you would have to have at least a few who do. I've spent entire weeks doing text sweeps of games and weeding out every error I could find. It's easy to do and it has a high bug number yield, so I'd always hop right on that during ad-hoc time. You seriously didn't have a single guy like that? I mean, it only takes one grammar nazi on a team to do a text sweep.

Yeah. I would always have text guys who would love to just go through all the text the game. I had the grammar nazi, but I always had stupid useless people as well who were just extra bodies. You know how it goes. "Hey! Let's just throw more bodies at it."

I'm just trying to give SE some benefit of the doubt. I can't believe they are truly this incompetent or even going as far as not doing any QA. They can't be. Just can't be. At my current place, we do iOS work and right now I'm the only QA on multiple projects and our shit goes out cleaner than this mess.

jackal27

Banned
I would love to play Final Fantasy VI on my mobile if they had actually made a quality remake. This is awful. Looks terrible and is unplayable as well now? Just awful.

MrXee

Unconfirmed Member

Magnus

"The icon for Sabin's Blitz ability now displays correctly" makes it sound like they don't even know what they're talking about.

There may have been an intended icon appearance that displayed the button inputs for a blitz command when chosen in battle.

It's easy to imagine that they'd want the input commands visible in battle these days, instead of memorized from a menu.

Dammit... despite my best thought out plans before hand I purchased this... If I had known that my game experience was likely to be killed half way through I wouldn't have. You know what? Even though I hated on the graphics, it looked much better on my phone than screenshots implied it would and was even enjoying it.

(edit) Acknowledging the glitch and saying they'll fix it eventually doesn't inspire me with hope... there are lots of SQ games with known issues that they still haven't fixed.

VoidZero

Banned
They also acknowledged that Chrono Trigger on Android has a problem and promised to fix it.

* Android Compatibility *
"CHRONO TRIIGER" may not perform as intended on the latest version of Android. We ask for your patience and understanding as we work to address this issue in the coming days.
Chrono Trigger Play Store

But they still haven't fixed it.

terrisus

FFVI deserves so much better than this port.

It already received a better port

final-fantasy-vi-advance.jpg

MrXee

Unconfirmed Member
They also acknowledged that Chrono Trigger on Android has a problem and promised to fix it.

Chrono Trigger Play Store

But they still haven't fixed it.

How can such a huge company make so many dumb errors?! It shows they just don't care about their English version when they make typos in one of the two words of Chrono Trigger :

[...] enjoy playing "CHRONO TRIIGER"

Square just doesn't care anymore.

ixix

"The icon for Sabin's Blitz ability now displays correctly" makes it sound like they don't even know what they're talking about.

I'm guessing they meant to have the command icons visible under the move name in the Abilities menu but they're not showing up for some reason. If you look at this screenshot I made right before Chakra nearly drove me to a breakdown there's a bunch of empty space in the move selection buttons that looks like it might have been intended to contain icons for how to perform the move.

There's a lot of negative space in the on-screen buttons in most places, but for the most part stuff is vertically centered. My hypothesis is that the Blitz names in that menu are top-aligned to make room for the commands to be displayed, but for some reason they aren't showing up.

On the other hand "SE has no idea what it's doing" is both a simpler and saner explanation, isn't it? Kind of the Occam's razor option.

VoidZero

Banned
FF6 has been updated today, with a patch that fixes this issue.
The following bugs have been addressed:
- The game no longer crashes during the cutscene showing the fight between Kefka and General Leo.
- The icon for Sabin's Blitz ability now displays correctly.
- A misspelling of the term "Esper" has been corrected.
- Various other minor bugs.

It's funny how mobile is supposed to be their future, when they seem to have put more effort into their phone releases before the advent of smart phones. You can argue whether or not Square is wise to go in the mobile direction, but it's strange that they aren't willing to try.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not, All the Bravest simply wouldn't boot up on my Nexus 7 when I grabbed it for free while it clearly booted for most people on iOS.

And it has been version 1.00 since it was released. No updates whatsoever to try to resolve issues.

Top Bottom