• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

NIN90

Anyway, how much does this game rely on the DPAD/Left Stick and the L button? My left hand is kinda handicapped at the moment so I'm having a hard time accurately hitting stuff on the left side.

Dachande

Anyway, how much does this game rely on the DPAD/Left Stick and the L button? My left hand is kinda handicapped at the moment so I'm having a hard time accurately hitting stuff on the left side.

The left stick is where all the tricks take place. It requires Street Fighter-style flicking, is the closest I can think of to describe it. Or kind of like the actions on the Right Stick in the Skate series.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
OOlJHh7.jpg

AAAAAARGHHHHH! How the hell am I supposed to pull off 50 spins? Got to 91x combo with a score of 1.83 million and that still wasn't enough. My thumb cannot take more punishment.

Cheddahz

Banned
I've actually been curious about this one, as I grew up loving Tony Hawk Pro Skater (even got to meet Tony Hawk a few years ago and we had a pretty cool conversation) and I miss the skateboarding genre. I might have to check this one out

Mononoke

Banned
Well shit, I'm getting crashes. I had my first crash 2 min into playing for the first time. Basically it happens at the tutorial section. If you fail something and have to retry it more than once, the game crashes. It's happened twice to me now. :(

Number45

AAAAAARGHHHHH! How the hell am I supposed to pull off 50 spins? Got to 91x combo with a score of 1.83 million and that still wasn't enough. My thumb cannot take more punishment.
Aaaand now I regret my impulse buy.

Well shit, I'm getting crashes. I had my first crash 2 min into playing for the first time. Basically it happens at the tutorial section. If you fail something and have to retry it more than once, the game crashes. It's happened twice to me now. :(
They've said it seems to be related to WiFi popups, so if it's stopping you from progressing maybe put the Vita into airplane mode?

Played it on the train today. These base levels are getting pretty challenging.

Had two crashes so far. Both times during a good run on a spot. :/

bought this game sight unseen thanks to all the GAF-hype. Excellent stuff, although I can't see myself pouring a lot of time into it since I'm still only a few dungeons in on P4G.

Really wish the Daily Grind would give you 3 attempts and then submit the best of those 3 scores - two days now and I've racked up a big high score in practice, only to completely fuck up on the very first obstacle :p

chogidogs

Just learned spins. Now I wipe most of the time because I become too greedy. When I get to land a sick trick with triple spins though, sooooo satisfying.

Wozman23

It took me a while to get everything to transition well, but it's starting to click now (most of the time). I'm having a lot of fun, despite a lot of face plants.

VariantX04

If I wasn't already bald, I'd have pulled my hair out because of 5-3 Pro (50 spins). I'm close to giving up on it but I can't put my damn Vita down. Send help.

SO, buy or no buy?

If you like these types of games and enjoy a good challenge, definitely buy it. It's hard to put down when you get into the groove of things.

Doombear

I kind of wish that the tricktionary would, I don't know, indicate somehow if you have successfully done the trick. I want that trophy, but I have no idea which tricks I am still needing. I also don't know if it counts if you do it but then bail.

Is that even a complaint? I don't think so. I am still loving this little beauty.

Nymphae

Banned
This game has made me realize the Vita stick isn't as perfect as I thought it was. My hands get sweaty when I play games and the vita thumbstick loses all grip once this happens, making for a non-optimal experience considering the game is almost completely played with the left stick. That's on me though. I can't stay mad at this game.

Skyzard

Banned
^ used to happen to me in summer as well, there are analogue grips you can get on ebay, bit fiddly to put on and they can come off if you use a tight case but they are cheap and help quite a bit.

Been using my Vita bare for about a month without too much problem though, left all my vita gear somewhere else, used to always have a grip accessory with it. Would probably help my hand out with this game a tad.

Very nice, Jindrael. Crazy looking score!

The left stick is where all the tricks take place. It requires Street Fighter-style flicking, is the closest I can think of to describe it. Or kind of like the actions on the Right Stick in the Skate series.

Reminded me of street fighter as well with the forces my left-stick is having to put up with, I'd wait till your left hand is feeling better tbh.

Takes a little while to get accustomed to the inputs the game requires while playing. Longer than most arcade games. But you get in the zone after a bit of practice and you feel like a badass. It looks deceptively simple from the videos but that challenge really makes pulling of a good run very satisfying.

I'm mostly focusing on timing and adding 180s+ to my tricks. Not so much on what exact trick to do but I like how I just end up learning a couple from doing the same input. Love the animations quite a bit too. Loved just going slow yesterday before I slept and flipping the dude around with some consistency and seeing the animations for the different tricks. Has a great feel like you really are in control and can pretty much get the guy to do whatever, if you are good enough with the inputs! Still getting there, long way to go but having a lot of fun, more after the first hour, which was quite challenging - figuring out the mechanics, getting used to them.

Once you do though, even just doing a big jump and spinning (and landing) feels good.

-Also thanks for making the OT, OP.

eroots

Great game, no crashes here.. With the play promo, gets cheaper if you buy 2 games or more.. Got this and will definitely be getting Txk. No brainer, with $3 off..

Great OT for a really great game! There's some good challenge here for such a deceivingly simple looking game.

Only issue is that I get a crash whenever I try to go back to the stage select when I'm offline. Game kicks out, but I appear to retain my progress.

VariantX04

Finally finished the 50 spins (5-3) challenge thanks to a helpful tip from a friendly twitter stranger. Using the dpad makes it much easier to pull off spins. Got it on my 3rd try after I found out.

Mostly the quick-death instant-restart nature of the game that is very similar, but also somewhat the sprites too.

More or less this. There is a certain gameplay loop that is extremely similar to Hotline Miami where you either don't hit a trick well or straight up bail and restart from the beginning. Sometimes this happens 2 seconds in and sometimes it's more like 20 but I played HM the very same way.

Coconut

Banned
More or less this. There is a certain gameplay loop that is extremely similar to Hotline Miami where you either don't hit a trick well or straight up bail and restart from the beginning. Sometimes this happens 2 seconds in and sometimes it's more like 20 but I played HM the very same way.

Canabalt meets Tony hawk.

SoundLad

About to pull the trigger...haven't bought anything for the vita since KZ: Mercenary, hope it's as good as it sounds.

Top Bottom