• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

impact

Banned
Anyone got any tips for getting used to the control scheme? Also dpad or analog?

I like the game but my god I suck at the odd controls.

grapetile

Neo Member
Anyone got any tips for getting used to the control scheme? Also dpad or analog?

I like the game but my god I suck at the odd controls.

I go with dpad. I feel like I have more control that way.
I'm still pretty bad at the controls myself, but I'm definitely starting to learn how it wants you to do tricks. Like how fast you have to move your thumb from down to back, how long you can rotate in the air, when you should hit X or start grinding, etc..

CLEEK

I would wait for a patch before buying. I've had a few sessions now, and each one has suffered crashing. So annoying.

The UI is horrible. Touch only, with poorly sized and placed buttons. A game like this needs an instant retry button, like TrialsHD. But the menu buttons are all touch only and in crazy places on screen, so you can't quickly press them. A games like this, with very short levels, you spend as much time in the menus as in the game, so the UI is a big part of the experience. You can tell this started life as an iOS game. The in-game controls are honed for the Vita, but the menus sure aren't.

The devs haven't said anything about fixing the UI, so I guess the game will always be stuck with it.

As for the actual game, it has a step learning curve, but I don't thing it has the instant satisfaction of Hotline Miami. So to improve, you'll spend a while just wondering why the fuck you're failing to land jumps or do tricks. I'm improving in this, but it still hasn't clicked for me.

hohoXD123

Why is it that sometimes you can do a spin in mid-air with L or R whilst other times you can't? Is it to do with your speed?

Doombear

It's not there, not with that name at least!

I'll try all and see what I can come up with.

Cheers all!

Oops, sorry, I didn't actually look close enough at the trick you were asking about. >.>

I believe this is hold L, press up, and then keep holding L until you get a 360. Just pressing up gets you a 180, I believe, so you gotta hold it for another little bit.

That's exactly what you should do Massa!

Why is it that sometimes you can do a spin in mid-air with L or R whilst other times you can't? Is it to do with your speed?

I think it is more to do with timing. If I try to press it too soon on a more complex trick like a lol360 Hardflip then I will usually not spin. If I wait a bit (if I even have the elevation TO wait on that trick) and then press, a spin will usually fire off.

rCIZZLE

I'm just not convinced the controls are all that clean. Both this and my characters love of ignoring my inputs and defaulting to "ollie" between grinds is kind of frustrating. Don't think it's me since I've gone on long grind bars and hit the exact input for a move and it alternated between the correct trick, ollie, and some other trick with ollie being the most common. (I was using tricks that never used or passed through dpad=up too)

nakedeyes

Banned
Similar soundtrack... what?
Are you involved with this game in any way? PR? Dev?

HAHA!!! No.. I work on Disney Infinity! Not OlliOlli.

I wasn't saying its the exact same music. Yeah its different. But they are both modern electric music ( OlliOlli being more mainstream dubsteppy shiz..[there is variety for sure, so its not all like that] Hotline being more driving, droney, stoney shiz ), they are both great soundtracks that are pretty fast paced, and don't restart the song when you restart a level.

I was drawing a similarity. That's all. Like I said, I chose Canabalt over Hotline Miami as my comparison, I just think its a bit apt is all

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm just not convinced the controls are all that clean. Both this and my characters love of ignoring my inputs and defaulting to "ollie" between grinds is kind of frustrating. Don't think it's me since I've gone on long grind bars and hit the exact input for a move and it alternated between the correct trick, ollie, and some other trick with ollie being the most common. (I was using tricks that never used or passed through dpad=up too)

I've stopped trying to do tricks when coming off a grind. I just jump off and spin as much as I can before my next grind/landing.

VanWinkle

I love this game. However, the lack of leaderboards and detailed stats in a game like this is utterly inexcusable. I cannot understand the developers' mindset behind this. This is the type of game that CRAVES stats and leaderboards. I mean, my goodness. And they are charging about the full price for an indie title (almost $15).

Massa

Silly me... I just realized what the L and R buttons actually do (spin while in the air). Thanks for the help everyone.

nakedeyes

Banned

I found myself with this same issue. One thing I noticed: You will ollie by default at the end of a rail, so if you do a quarter circle forward for a kickflip or some shit, but you haven't fully released the command and stick has returned to center by the time you hit the end of the rail you will do an ollie every time in that scenario.

Once I realized that, I found that when I deliberately do the command early I experienced that much less. YMMV of course, cause I do think there is a bit of funkyness in those controls myself.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I found myself with this same issue. One thing I noticed: You will ollie by default at the end of a rail, so if you do a quarter circle forward for a kickflip or some shit, but you haven't fully released the command and stick has returned to center by the time you hit the end of the rail you will do an ollie every time in that scenario.

Once I realized that, I found that when I deliberately do the command early I experienced that much less. YMMV of course, cause I do think there is a bit of funkyness in those controls myself.

How early are we talking?

nakedeyes

Banned
How early are we talking?

I think the key is to have the stick back to neutral position ( which I think is what kicks off jump tricks.. pull to start holding trick stance, release to execute ) before you reach the last few pixels of the rail ( at which point, it will automatically olli off )

If you try to make sure you do it super early, you will see that you will execute your intended trick pretty often. If you don't pull it off in time, you resort to a super weak scoring ollie. Thats the risk / reward I guess. Its pretty hard to pull off a full circle move like an impossible when jumping off a short rail going fast.

Skyzard

Banned

I think the key is to have the stick back to neutral position ( which I think is what kicks off jump tricks.. pull to start holding trick stance, release to execute ) before you reach the last few pixels of the rail ( at which point, it will automatically olli off )

If you try to make sure you do it super early, you will see that you will execute your intended trick pretty often. If you don't pull it off in time, you resort to a super weak scoring ollie. Thats the risk / reward I guess. Its pretty hard to pull off a full circle move like an impossible when jumping off a short rail going fast.

I had the same issue, more in the beginning but it still happens sometimes - thanks for pinpointing the problem!

I love this game. However, the lack of leaderboards and detailed stats in a game like this is utterly inexcusable. I cannot understand the developers' mindset behind this. This is the type of game that CRAVES stats and leaderboards. I mean, my goodness. And they are charging about the full price for an indie title (almost $15).

I'm not sure how it got past Sony either really, they should be looking out for this...and crashes, especially from the tutorial.

Although about crashes, I've played a few hours since the tutorial and had no more issues myself.
I've been sitting next to the router the whole time, not always connected to PSN with the game (coming out of standby or something) but the Vita has had good signal when I've played this and outside of that one time in the tutorial (I think someone mentioned it's when you retry more than once) I haven't had any crashes so I'm thinking it is the network stuff...maybe?
I have some (screen-display) popups disabled though, like when someone signs online.

Anyway, hopefully the patch submitted fixes it but as VanWinkle said - really enjoying the game, but I want to compare scores pretty bad and should be able to. Hopefully they realise their mistake there.

rCIZZLE

I'll have to pay attention to this and try it out. Mostly happened with moves that required any kind of circular motion. Kickflips and Heelflips seemed to work most of the time which is probably due to the motions being completed much quicker.

Coconut

Banned
Damn game keeps crashing, probably because I'm so good at it.

I wish the game had an endless mode no score or anything just music and dope ass tricks.

Downloaded this yesterday. I saw the videos and I didn't think it would be this much fun but man it is. Tricks and grinds are fun and fast.

Skyzard

Banned
I JUST realised the daily grind is trying to teach you
(remember to do perfect grinds, not just lands, you get a speed boost that way)
by making it pretty much impossible to do anything without them. And then once you realise the level just gets pawned! (and then I missed the landing :p)

Kinda helps with the base level I was stuck on too, nice.

ampere

This really looks fantastic.

I gave my Vita to my brother, but he loves skateboarding so this will probably be right up his alley.

Goddamn, been trying to beat the worldwide top score on one of the levels for the past half hour and feel like my thumb's gonna fall off. This is the best I can manage;

iTxSIAKUXwhmP.jpg

ascii42 said:
Awesome, a 0 point submission for today's daily grind.

I managed to get 6 :|

Skyzard

Banned
Great score, Bootaaay, I'm stuck on the normal version of that level. It's been whooping my ass for the past half hour

-wait Port 5 I mean. Want to see the neon lights :( The Port stages really make you learn the mechanics properly just to get to the end.

-doh not port, base 5. not going to try it before i sleep though, wouldnt be the best idea.

VanWinkle

I totally get the Hotline Miami comparison. It's a retro styled game that's hard as nails, fast and easy to die, has instant restarts, and makes you keep trying some levels like 50 times to get it right.

Doombear

I totally get the Hotline Miami comparison. It's a retro styled game that's hard as nails, fast and easy to die, has instant restarts, and makes you keep trying some levels like 50 times to get it right.

That's exactly what I got from the comparison as well. I just don't think there was a lot of explanation from any of us that felt that way (until your post). Oh and add in a great and fitting soundtrack too.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
I go with dpad. I feel like I have more control that way.
I'm still pretty bad at the controls myself, but I'm definitely starting to learn how it wants you to do tricks. Like how fast you have to move your thumb from down to back, how long you can rotate in the air, when you should hit X or start grinding, etc..
Holy crap! I didn't know you can play with the dpad! Here we gooooooooo. I am enjoying the game immensely though.

I'm now completely stuck, Urban 5, third jump, always hard locks when I land it. It's practically unplayable at this point, with both WiFi on or off (as suggested could help). I feel like I've wasted my money here.

Jindrael

Banned
I really wonder why the crashes are so varying ... I bought the game the second it came online in the EU Store and since then have unlocked all Challenges and only need 2 stars to unlock Rad Mode but I had only 1 crash this whole time with Wifi enabled. =(

And some people get crashes and softlocks every 5 minutes Oo

I choose to ignore this thread because of the "S' at the end of Hawks.

I understand it is correct as it referring to multiple Tony Hawk games but it still looks wrong to me and I cannot overcome this.

Novocaine

Man these snow levels are giving me hell. It's so satisfying when you pull off what you need to for the challenges though. I've moved over to the d-pad and it's actually been a lot easier.

I choose to ignore this thread because of the "S' at the end of Hawks.

I understand it is correct as it referring to multiple Tony Hawk games but it still looks wrong to me and I cannot overcome this.

Umm..

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Anyone crazy enough to have finished rad mode? I managed to beat all the level 5 ones since they all involve grinding which is significantly easier to pull off compared to perfecting landings. I still can't beat level 1 amateur because I always mess up a landing. Really infuriating but when you finally nail it, damn does it feel rewarding.

Edgeward

I can't progress to the next stage until I complete all the challenges. Something about it just always teases me when left incomplete.

Bikram

This game is super addictive. I have got a project delivery coming up this Monday and this is a perfect 20 minutes break from the hectic work schedule.

I only got a couple of crashes so far in the game.

chogidogs

Other than trick specific challenges, am I missing anything by not using the L button? Tht one is kinda uncomfortable to use when you use the stick so heavily.

Nags

Banned

A more apt comparison would be Canabalt or Bit Trip Runner.
It fits all that criteria you just mentioned.

Hotline Miami is nothing like an endless runner.

Finally played this yesterday... for bloody ages! I love it. Initially I found it hard to separate the actions of my LEFT thumb from my right. I think it's years of Tony Hawk muscle memory, but letting go of the left stick to jump was a hard disconnect to make in my mind - like separating your foot from your arms when drumming for the first time. But I've got there.

One question, though: is there any way of viewing your friends on a leaderboard? I can't see any leaderboard options at all.

Jindrael

Banned
Working on RAD mode and wow is it satisfying to hit all the perfect landings :D

Current RAD progress: Urban 10/10, Junkyard 8/10 Neon City 2/10

wouwie

Played some more yesterday and had a great time. I'm not particulary good at it but it's fun. I'm still learning and wondering about some of the things that happen at times. For example, sometimes i'm doing a trick after a grind and sometimes i'm just doing an ollie and i'm not sure why. Also, i'm bad at remembering all of the tricks and combos. And i haven't learnt to rotate yet.

I do agree that the game needed at least one button for quick restart. Since you'll restart a lot in this game, having to leave your play position on the controller to touch the buttons on the UI is getting a bit annoying. Also, it would have been nice if the game had at least one level that is endless, making it possible to practise without needing to restart, which is the case with the tutorial levels.

The music system is nicely implemented and that it keeps playing as one continuous "tune" throughout. It's a neat idea.

All in all, money well spent and a surprisingly satisfying and fun game to play.

I bought this last night but didn't download it literally until about midnight. Thought it was a bit late to get myself into a stress when I'm inevitably shite at it. I'll give it a whirl later.

Top Bottom