• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club Announced for PC, PS4, Xbox One- Coming this Spring

Wish they would have some licensed courses along with the custom ones, but I'll keep my eye on it.

HB Studios is used to porting games for larger publishers. This will be the first game they have self-published (and it looks like they'll be self-publishing the XB1 and PS4 versions). They have a limited budget. The Executive Producer said that licensing fees would have been cost prohibitive at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised that if before long, we start seeing some fairly faithful recreations of famous courses. I hope they're going to offer a demo; it's likely going to be one of those games you have to experience to appreciate.

Mdot

HB Studios is used to porting games for larger publishers. This will be the first game they have self-published (and it looks like they'll be self-publishing the XB1 and PS4 versions). They have a limited budget. The Executive Producer said that licensing fees would have been cost prohibitive at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised that if before long, we start seeing some fairly faithful recreations of famous courses. I hope they're going to offer a demo; it's likely going to be one of those games you have to experience to appreciate.

Yea, makes sense. And you're right about user re-created courses, so hopefully there will be a thriving community that keeps it viable.

Just watched the trailer again and noticed the swing speed looks really slow. Is it just me or did anybody else notice this?

Yea, makes sense. And you're right about user re-created courses, so hopefully there will be a thriving community that keeps it viable.

They have announced they will be releasing packs containing additional course objects and structures. They're going to have to do that to have faithful recreations of famous courses. I'm wanting to recreate Quail Hollow CC, and I know I'm going to need a variety of upscale home structures to make it look believable.

Just watched the trailer again and noticed the swing speed looks really slow. Is it just me or did anybody else notice this?

I always thought the swings in the Tiger Woods series looked too fast and inertia free. I know there was definitely no feel of inertia or momentum in the Tiger Woods swing interface, save for a slight hint of it in Tiger Woods 10. More to your question though, I thought the speed looked okay, but the video was a bit 'framey'. That probably has more to do with the videocapture than the game though. I'd like to read others thoughts on this as well.

ShaneB

I was just looking at the main website yesterday for an update on a beta or anything, lol. This is great. I'll be buying this when I get home.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm in.

Will buy on PC and probably PS4. So glad it's not 'cartoony golf' those have their place and I love Hot Shots but I've been dying for a golf sim that isn't tiger woods.

ShaneB

I guess a closed beta or something has been going on for a while, since the user review shows..

"Recommended

1,149.4 hrs on record

A M A Z I N G

Posted: April 17th, 2014 "

That' s a lot of hours!

RoadDogg

I want to buy this, but I can't justify it for more then $15 with Mario Golf coming out so soon. I know they are 2 very different games, but I don't need 2 golf games.

bender

What time is it?
I'll try it but I'm skeptical of the controls. I've never cared for a game that didn't use a three-click system.

Interesting, curious to hear more about their console release dates. Let us know how it is in early access if anyone ends up getting it.

So wait, how DOES the swing mechanic work if I'm using a mouse? Or hell, how does it work on a controller, for that matter? I think every golf game I've ever played (Wii Sports Golf aside, of course) has used some form of the three-click meter.

Looks like shovelware, but I love golf, so I might give it a try after I read some impressions.
It's coming this spring, mostly not a good sign either when announced so close to release.

I'll try it but I'm skeptical of the controls. I've never cared for a game that didn't use a three-click system.

Not really sure why you'd want such an old gameplay system that has nothing to do with golf. Analog swinging is much more suited.

I played a couple quick rounds. It's pretty good so far. Plays very similar to the old Tiger Woods games, without the stupid arcade, controlling the ball mid air type stuff.

Visually solid, without being outstanding. Positive so far, especially given we haven't had a good golf game on PC for many years.

Some screens for anyone interested...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109810236@N08/sets/72157644042402942/

So wait, how DOES the swing mechanic work if I'm using a mouse? Or hell, how does it work on a controller, for that matter? I think every golf game I've ever played (Wii Sports Golf aside, of course) has used some form of the three-click meter.

Haven't tried mouse control yet, but with an analog stick controller, you pull the stick back for your backswing and then forward to hit the ball. If you push to either side slightly, that affects your shot. How far you swing back controls the power. It's not perfect but it works well and I much prefer it to the oldschool clicking.

bender

What time is it?
Not really sure why you'd want such an old gameplay system that has nothing to do with golf. Analog swinging is much more suited.

Because that system works well and that's my preference? I don't think there is anything wrong with an analog system, it's just not for me.

Sorry if this has been answered but has there been any news of when it's coming to PS4? They announced it as a spring release...and it's now spring. Just curious.

ShaneB

I played a couple quick rounds. It's pretty good so far. Plays very similar to the old Tiger Woods games, without the stupid arcade, controlling the ball mid air type stuff.

Visually solid, without being outstanding. Positive so far, especially given we haven't had a good golf game on PC for many years.

Sounds solid enough to me (especially the no nonsense mid air stuff), excited to get home and start playing. I've had money in my Steam Wallet collecting dust for ages now, figure it's time to splurge.

Because that system works well and that's my preference? I don't think there is anything wrong with an analog system, it's just not for me.

I am a bit disappointed to hear it's not the tradition 3 click system as well, as that's my preference, but I've got no problem with the analog swing system either.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. I just personally don't like the 3 click system.

I just checked, there are mouse and keyboard controls in this version. It's not the click method though. You move the mouse back and forward like you would the analog stick.

Seems to be a few fair courses to try as well. Solid start to an early access I'd say. :)

Shadybiz

Ah, forgot about this one. I may end up getting it. If it came out having 1:1 motion tracking with Eyetoy and Move for PS4, it would be an insta-buy. Either way, it could be a neat thing to have, just for the lack of good golf games on PC.

I'm usually not one to complain about graphics, but for what they are charging that Youtube trailer is a little disappointing. It's early access so hopefully they can do something about all that shimmering in the trees. I want this to be good and for $35 US it will need to be.

r3n4ud

Send the devs a message and ask them if they can create a three-click swing. The more options the better.

I'm usually not one to complain about graphics, but for what they are charging that Youtube trailer is a little disappointing. It's early access so hopefully they can do something about all that shimmering in the trees. I want this to be good and for $35 US it will need to be.

You remove most of that in higher resolutions and even more so with downsampling, but I've asked on the Steam forums (where a dev has been answering questions already) for some graphics options in an update.

It's apparently the Unity engine so I have no idea how configurable that is.

But yeah, there is certainly something 'cheap' looking about the background visuals. The skyboxes especially.

13890824452_e7908d9774_o_d.jpg

13914364164_17385773f3_o_d.jpg

13890835691_f341d23e3b_o_d.jpg

d0g_bear

I've played a couple of hours now, here's some initial impressions. FYI I have never golfed IRL. If that makes my opinion invalid, so be it.

In short - this is a game with intuitive and challenging mechanics, but the early access version is limited by lack of campaign mode and unoptimized performance.

The swing mechanic is similar to Tiger Woods PGA: you draw back the right stick to backswing, and push it forward for your swing. It's the sort of thing that's really satisfying to do when you pay attention and get it right, but if you're sort of half-paying attention it's easy to screw up. Clubs are automatically selected for you, but you can change if you want (I rarely do), and you can enter "advanced mode" to change the loft of your swing (I sometimes do).
There's an asynchronous multiplayer on steam against "ghost balls" - it looks pretty cool when you see other balls with different-colored tails trailing alongside your own. I haven't played online multi with friends, but I imagine this asynchronous pattern would help in reducing the tedium of golf.
Local multi is excellent - like classic tiger woods was back in the day. This kind of game is really best played in a chilled out social atmosphere. There's no campaign mode yet, which does limit it's single player scope (of course it's still early access).

Performance is unoptimized in this early stage: I was getting fps in the 20s at high settings, 1080p, with a gtx480l and 45-50fps at low settings 1080p. I hope and assume that this will improve.

hydruxo

New PS Blog post: The Golf Club is coming to PS4 this summer

New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAq8kugMT20

If you’re not familiar with The Golf Club, it’s a realistic golf simulation game that features procedurally generated courses. With only a few button presses you can be playing a brand-new course that you can share with your friends. For those who feel creative, we also have a fully-featured course editor that allows you to customize, tweak, sculpt, and craft any course you can imagine. All of these courses can be shared with your friends where you can rate them and favorite the ones you love.

The Golf Club also has what we feel is a fresh model for online interaction. Using what we like to call “ghost balls” you can compete against your friends’ best round on a course or your closest rival’s round without them needing to be online. You can create your own custom tours and tournaments and compete against the world — all completely asynchronously. You can compile your favorite courses, the hardest courses — or just the most interesting that you’ve encountered into your own personalized tour and share that with the world.

Morpheus support might be coming:

And finally, we’ve had the amazing opportunity to be among the first developers to have access to the newly announced Project Morpheus VR tech prototype — and we’ve been exploring how we could possibly integrate this into The Golf Club. Golf seems like an excellent fit for this kind of technology — the ability to look around your environment and really live inside the procedural courses is exciting. We’re anxious to see what we can do with this new tech and how we can create a compelling VR experience for The Golf Club with Morpheus.

I didn't see a current thread or OT for this game, so I figured I'd just post here. Picked this up on PSN (PS4) last night, and while I do like it, especially with the course creator which ensures you'll never run out of courses, I find the visuals to be pretty damn bad. It just looks unfinished. It gives you the option to enable or disable v-sinc, but it seems to have little effect on the overall presentation. V-sinc on looks just as bad as with it off. It was on $34.99 and I think that's close to the right price, but I do feel a little let down just because the graphics are so mediocre. I don't know how to describe them - they just seem to have either low count polys or something. The trees in particular have a weird shimmer effect when it pans around or when it does the hole previews. I'm probably not describing it well, all I know is it looks pretty underwhelming and not something I'd expect to see on the PS4.

There are also odd little things that have me scratching my head. Like sometimes other people's ghost data and their shots show up while you're playing. But most of the time they don't. (edit: I have since figured out why that was happening, it's not a glitch.) There are also small UI things which are weird, like not being able to change your aim or trajectory's path while you're looking at the course from above. You can only change your aim from the "at the tee" view, then go back up to the overhead, back to the tee, adjust, back to the overhead, etc.

I like The Golf Club, but it seems like it could have used another 6 months in the oven. Sony didn't start releasing early access games on PS4 without my knowledge, did they?

DKJ, there's a reasonably active thread about this game going on in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873221&page=4

BTW, I have both the PS4 and XB1 versions of this game. Just bought the PS4 for this game... and later DriveClub, Project Cars, and a few others. The PS4 version of TGC ,makes the XB1 look like a PS2 game. It plays a lot better too due to maintaining significanty higher frame rates. Your points about its graphics shortcomings are valid though, but I'm enjoying the PS4 version enough to warrant my purchase yesterday.

Top Bottom