• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1 & 2 Mobile spotted on ESRB

B.K.

Here are a few screens of Dragon Quest 1 from the Japanese site.

P3Gn6DI.png
qkNLCBM.png
pL7X9ld.png

I assume this is based off the GBC remake and not the originals?

Either way, I'm usually hesitant to buy and play games on my iphone, but I guess it beats trying to track down a copy. And also playing it on an actual Gameboy

Looks gross. There's a lot of bad scaling and sub-pixel nonsense going on. How hard could it have been to make a clean version where pixels were as tall as they were wide?

Pretty ugly. I'll be interested to see if they just toss the DS remakes on there. I'm down for another play through of 5 and 8.

I've played through the first 2 enough in my lifetime at this point

Also, place your bets on price... $15?

Pretty ugly. I'll be interested to see if they just toss the DS remakes on there. I'm down for another play through of 5 and 8.

I've played through the first 2 enough in my lifetime at this point

Also, place your bets on price... $15?

I dunno, these look drop dead gorgeous compared to the FF Mobile remakes. Just don't care for the vertical screen orientation.

Plus I'd love to play 1 and 2 with the modern localization style. Count me in!

NolbertoS

Square Enix, I would pay "royally" for a Dragon 1 through 8 port on the 3DS..iOS future is not the way of "butchering" classics :(

I misread the topic as "Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2" and got so excited. Come on Square Enix, give the 3DS some more love...

RM8

Will buy because I'm an irrational DQ fanboy. But that looks terrible :( And meanwhile, I'll resume not being able to play Terry's Wonderland on 3DS.

Velcro Fly

They don't look that bad, honestly.

Way easier to acquire than relying on really old GBC carts or worse.

If the price is right I'd likely be in for DQ1-3.

I dunno, these look drop dead gorgeous compared to the FF Mobile remakes. Just don't care for the vertical screen orientation.

Plus I'd love to play 1 and 2 with the modern localization style. Count me in!

The FFV and FFVI remakes I can see. 1, 2, 3, 4, 4:TAY though look pretty good

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does this mean were getting 2 games in 1?

Dragon Warrior/Quest 2 is one of my favorite rpgs of all time.

Having just played both DQ1/2r, I found DQ2r to be pretty dreadful compared to DQ1r. DQ1r's structure lent itself to feeling more like a proper adventure, where I learn the lay of the land and gather my own clues to progress.

Dueck

Banned
I hope they keep churning them out until at least DQ6. My iPhone is basically just a JRPG device half the time.

Tizoc

Are they not using the subtitles that were trademarked? Or would those not be in the ESRB listing?

ESRB would list a game if it had a subtitle, if these don't have subtitles then the registered DQ games from months back may be different than these.

KiTA

There is something weird about this entry - if you search for it on the ESRB's main page it's not registered to Square Enix.

KiTA

Hmm..you're right, it's "Handster". Who's that?

Edit: They're an "Application Store solution company".

Googling it, they apparently ran an alternative to Google Play that was bought by Opera and now are... pushing those apps to the Blackberry store? So they're ... kinda like a team that makes sure your ebook gets on all the stores or something? Submit to one guy, get it out there to everyone?

Edit: I'm hearing a bit of fluff that this is an old, OLD entry (although equal amounts of fluff that no, no it's not) -- something about bad ripoff games / prepackaged emulators + roms being submitted to the iOS App store, which get auto-ESRBed and screw things up. But again, I'm also hearing fluff that this was NOT there a week or two ago when people were searching for leaked DQ releases, so...

Edit2: Something else to consider, these are listed in order of registration on the ESRB site, and you can see the registration number -- so this is very, very new.

Goli

It's a little weird how these are rated, yet I don't think any of SE's iOS games are ESRB rated, in fact I don't think I've ever seen an iOS game rated by the ESRB.

I´m fine with the game coming over here on iOS.

HOWEVER: Why can´t we have the GBC remakes on the eShop as well ?

Let me give you my money, Squeenix.

It's a little weird how these are rated, yet I don't think any of SE's iOS games are ESRB rated, in fact I don't think I've ever seen an iOS game rated by the ESRB.
I'll admit I never bothered to think about age ratings on digital distribution games, so this is a little weird to me. Is this also the case for games that exclusively release on Steam/PSN/eShop/XBL?

Will buy 10 copies if it'll help any 3DS DQ titles make it over here.
If you don't buy ten copies, Square Enix will think the west doesn't care about Dragon Quest. If you do, they'll think the future of the franchise lies on phones. Welcome to the mobile jungle, RAW64life.

Top Bottom