• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Demoncarnotaur
(01-27-2014, 06:42 PM)
I figured this was new thread worthy as it is a lot more direct than Phil Spencers spin:

+

Originally Posted by crazy buttocks on a train

btusk inst not that B!g. teh spygam WAS REAAL.
preriod.
n itwa$ good.

Apologies if this belongs in the other thread.
Last edited by Demoncarnotaur; 01-27-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(01-27-2014, 06:44 PM)
Reminds me of when Retro cancelled all their games to work on Metroid. This new IP is the new Raven Blade.
MercuryLS
(01-27-2014, 06:46 PM)
I really don't get why MS's PR needs to constantly spin and lie. It's been like that since the reveal last year. They must thing we're idiots and can't see through their bullshit. It just makes the company look really bad in my eyes and they keep doing it.

Just be straight up with is, if the new BT IP has been put on hold for Gears, just tell us. Don't act like that was some sort of "prototype" and BT was working on nothing before acquiring the Gears franchise.
Demoncarnotaur
(01-27-2014, 07:05 PM)
Also, CBOAT had this to say..

Originally Posted by crazy buttocks on a train

btusk inst not that B!g. teh spygam WAS REAAL.
preriod.
n itwa$ good.

=/
Canis lupus
(01-27-2014, 07:06 PM)
"Black Tusk has been working on new IP...

until now."
Osiris
(01-27-2014, 07:07 PM)
Yup, shelved then.
SwiftDeath
(01-27-2014, 07:08 PM)
I love how this openly contradicts Phil Spencers statements. Just straight up no possible misunderstanding, Phil was not being honest
WolfForager
(01-27-2014, 07:13 PM)
Must be heart breaking to be working on something for a year or more and then to have something else forced on you just 'cause it'll sell well.
SuperSonic1305
(01-27-2014, 07:13 PM)
Unless Gears comes out and doesn't do as well as expected I don't see Microsoft allowing them to ever go back to a new ip. This gen may only last 5-6 years after all and given the choice Microsoft would surely choose to squeeze another Gears in over an unproven ip.
Serrenn
Banned
(01-27-2014, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by MercuryLS

I really don't get why MS's PR needs to constantly spin and lie. It's been like that since the reveal last year. They must thing we're idiots and can't see through their bullshit. It just makes the company look really bad in my eyes and they keep doing it.

Actually, most consumers are idiots.
PR wont work for people who can wade through bullshit, but simple folk eat it up just fine.
outsida
(01-27-2014, 07:15 PM)
It's pretty clear the want Gears out as soon as possible so they put the new IP on the back burner. Spencer just doesn't want a dust up over them moving the team over to an established franchise as opposed to the new IP.
Hero_of_the_Day
(01-27-2014, 07:19 PM)

Originally Posted by WolfForager

Must be heart breaking to be working on something for a year or more and then to have something else forced on you just 'cause it'll sell well.

Seriously. Some cold shit to tell an entire studio to scrap all that work so they can go work on someone else's creation.
Elginer
(01-27-2014, 07:20 PM)
They really are hoping that Gears gets that bone in more homes and ASAP. Shame that Black Tusk's hard work has been shelved. What happened to all that bullshit Phil was spewing about fostering internal studios and all that shit. Yeah... whatever Phil.
Metalingus5150
(01-27-2014, 07:21 PM)
For one. I hope Black Tusk gets to release the ip that they've been working on.
Give them a chance.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(01-27-2014, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

Seriously. Some cold shit to tell an entire studio to scrap all that work so they can go work on someone else's creation.

It sucks, but honestly as I've said the right move to do in business terms. Go for the successful huge IP rather than an unproven one.

But man would it have been so hard for Phil to say, "Black Tusk has some stuff in the works that's very exciting, but this huge opportunity for us to bring Gears to the next gen was too much to pass up, and from what we've seen internally of Black Tusk's work they've proven to be a tremendously talented group that will really deliver a great entry into this multi-million dollar franchise. We can't wait to see what the future hold for the team."

Instead its "oh yeah that project never existed and Black Tusk was kinda sitting around doing nothing so we handed them this project, hooray!"
Last edited by chubigans; 01-27-2014 at 07:30 PM.
BoboBrazil
(01-27-2014, 07:22 PM)
Welcome to your future Black Tusk http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707691 Replace Kinect with Gears of War.
eznark
john deere tramp stamp
(01-27-2014, 07:23 PM)
Man the game must've been real shitty if they are being forced to scrap it to make a Gears sequel.
R dott B
(01-27-2014, 07:23 PM)
Wonder how the morale is.
LilWayneSuckz
(01-27-2014, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by eznark

Man the game must've been real shitty if they are being forced to scrap it to make a Gears sequel.

CBOAT already said he saw the spy game in action and it looked great in his opinion.

Microsoft probably had them shelve it once they were certain they'd get the Gears IP and needed a 1st party studio to take control of the franchise
Chobel
(01-27-2014, 07:25 PM)
Future not decided = Spy game is on hold now.
Tagyhag
(01-27-2014, 07:26 PM)
Why wouldn't they just let them finish it? I know Gears is a priority but that new IP will probably feel dated if they shelve it for the future.

Originally Posted by MercuryLS

Of course most devs think we're idiots, look at how painfully easy today's games are. It's not like we're proving them wrong either.
Speedy Blue Dude
Banned
(01-27-2014, 07:26 PM)
Ugh... Gears is the only Xbox Exclusive I've NEVER liked. Just never got into it. Well... I don't like Fable either. Ack Microsoft should have let Gears die, and let this new IP have a chance to shine. They just wasted Black Tusk and their potential.

Ugh, I hope at least Black Tusk WANTED to work on Gears. I hope Microsoft didn't crush their hopes and spirits.
Osiris
(01-27-2014, 07:27 PM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

It sucks, but honestly as I've said the right move to do in business terms. Go for the successful huge IP rather than an unproven one.

But man would it have been so hard for Phil to say, "Black Tusk has some stuff in the works that's very exciting, but this huge opportunity for use to bring Gears to the next gen was too much to pass up, and from what we've seen internally of Black Tusk's work they've proven to be a tremendously talented group that will really deliver a great entry into this multi-million dollar franchise. We can't wait to see what the future hold for the team."

Instead its "oh yeah that project never existed and Black Tusk was kinda sitting around doing nothing so we handed them this project, hooray!"

It really is baffling, any PR person worth his salt could have coached/scripted a better line to use than a straight up lie such as the one he used, in the days of "Internet memory" it really beggars belief, Stuff said less than a year ago is still in the 'active content" category online, we're not even talking about "need to find a cache" territory. Amateur hour.
Juan29.zapata
(01-27-2014, 07:28 PM)
"Black Tusk working on fucking Gears"

It's the only thing I feel since this new IP looked awesome :(
Pie and Beans
Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Microsoft once again showing their long term commitment to sticking around in the industry and not rushing to perceived quick fix bandaid solutions at the cost of new IP.

*blech*

Oh sorry, I made myself sick from too long a sarcastic sentence.
Nafai1123
dirty Netflix p00rs!
breathing my air
Would not be surprised if several people from BT end up leaving after this news.
Last edited by Nafai1123; 01-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats

Originally Posted by Speedy Blue Dude

Ugh... Gears is the only Xbox Exclusive I've NEVER liked. Just never got into it. Well... I don't like Fable either. Ack Microsoft should have let Gears die, and let this new IP have a chance to shine. They just wasted Black Tusk and their potential.

Ugh, I hope at least Black Tusk WANTED to work on Gears. I hope Microsoft didn't crush their hopes and spirits.

They work in game development...what hope and spirit?
Juan29.zapata
(01-27-2014, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

They work in game development...what hope and spirit?

Believe it or not, some devs actually like doing games. I know, it's surprising.

EDIT: I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk. Sorry if it comes out like that!
Last edited by Juan29.zapata; 01-27-2014 at 07:33 PM.
RE_Player
(01-27-2014, 07:31 PM)
Hope you're happy Gears of War fans.
Loch Doun
(01-27-2014, 07:39 PM)
If we see a mass exodus of Black Tusk employees leaving for other jobs then we'll know for sure that the new IP was canceled.

I just wish they'd be more upfront about it.

Usually when a project is cancelled, the media knows about it. So perhaps there's hope?
coolasj19
Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
(01-27-2014, 08:01 PM)

But man would it have been so hard for Phil to say, "Black Tusk has some stuff in the works that's very exciting, but this huge opportunity for us to bring Gears to the next gen was too much to pass up, and from what we've seen internally of Black Tusk's work they've proven to be a tremendously talented group that will really deliver a great entry into this multi-million dollar franchise. We can't wait to see what the future hold for the team."

chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
Today, 01:22 PM, Post #15

Yes they should Chubigans. Yes they should.
Mass Effect
(01-27-2014, 08:07 PM)
Makes me wonder if people will start leaving BT in the coming months.
RE_Player
(01-27-2014, 08:14 PM)
Do you guys really expect a massive amount of people leaving? I would be pissed if the entire direction of the studio changed after years of work but in this competitive industry a job is a job.
Haklong
(01-27-2014, 08:14 PM)

Agreed.

While I'm disappointed that the new IP might not happen why do people think this is a surprise to the guys at Black Tusk? You really think they all found out that they would be handling GoW today? This talk must have been going on for months. I'm sure they knew if an agreement was made that the other project would go on the back burner. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get outright cancelled. Then again maybe I'm wrong. They all got in ready to work on new gadgets/weapons for their new IP and the news dropped on them this morning....
SwiftDeath
(01-27-2014, 08:15 PM)
Curious if Geoff saw the game. From what I can tell he's pretty dialed in to all the major 3rd party projects for whatever reason. I'd love to hear his view on how the game looked

Originally Posted by Haklong

Agreed.

While I'm disappointed that the new IP might not happen why do people think this is a surprise to the guys at Black Tusk? You really think they all found out that they would be handling GoW today? This talk must have been going on for months. I'm sure they knew if an agreement was made that the other project would go on the back burner. I'm just hoping that it doesn't get outright cancelled. Then again maybe I'm wrong. They all got in ready to work on new gadgets/weapons for their new IP and the news dropped on them this morning....

Ok Black tusk studios is told to pretty much cancel their new IP that they've spent at least a year working on a couple months ago instead of today because MS bought the Gears IP from epic and is reassigning them to make the new Gears game. How in that scenario are employees at Black Tusk not just as likely to be heartbroken and potentially thinking about leaving black tusk? It takes several months to line up a new job.
Last edited by SwiftDeath; 01-27-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Zornack
(01-27-2014, 08:18 PM)
Damn, I would have much preferred a new IP to another Gears game.
Dr. Kitty Muffins
(01-27-2014, 08:18 PM)
I predict some people will leave.
TheRealTalker
(01-27-2014, 08:23 PM)
This also means that we won't be seeing the next Gears until 2016

maybe some teaser in late 2014 / early 2015
gogosox8
(01-27-2014, 08:26 PM)
So did they flat out cancel this? That's the vibe I'm getting from this "future not decided" talk. I would expect a lot of people to leave if that's the case.
Jito
(01-27-2014, 08:27 PM)
Damn it Microsoft, I wanted to see some new IPs not just Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable for another generation. And give me Banjo Threeie already.
Majanew
Banned
(01-27-2014, 08:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Speedy Blue Dude

I'm pretty sure Black Tusk were excited about bringing the new IP they were working on. This is what Microsoft does. They shit on devs and force them to make what they demand. It's why Bungie wanted the hell out. "You will make Halo games and only Halo games, slaves."
peterb0y
(01-27-2014, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Majanew

I'm pretty sure Black Tusk were excited about bringing the new IP they were working on. This is what Microsoft does. They shit on devs and force them to make what they demand. It's why Bungie wanted the hell out. "You will make Halo games and only Halo games, slaves."

Why did they sign w activision
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-27-2014, 08:31 PM)

MS has been having lots of problems being honest. Dunno why or what t make of it. They're to the point where they are lying about things that don't even matter. Just because, it seems.
Majanew
Banned
(01-27-2014, 08:34 PM)

Originally Posted by peterb0y

I guess because they got to make Destiny and needed a big publisher's financial backing. That was probably good enough for them. Destiny would never exist if they were still at MS.
LTWheels
(01-27-2014, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by peterb0y

"You will make Destiny games and only Destiny games, slaves." 10 years.
Carl
(01-27-2014, 08:36 PM)
When GeOW sells well, the new IP will be shelved in favour of more GeOW
Mifune
Mehmber
(01-27-2014, 08:37 PM)

Originally Posted by LTWheels

"You will make Destiny games and only Destiny games, slaves." 10 years.

Bungie is not owned by Activision. Big difference.
LTWheels
(01-27-2014, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Mifune

Bungie is not owned by Activision. Big difference.

No but their contract with Activision is for 10 years. That's a long period of time.
Mifune
Mehmber
(01-27-2014, 08:41 PM)

Originally Posted by LTWheels

No but their contract with Activision is for 10 years. That's a long period of time.

Well, it seems like it's Bungie's ten year plan. It's what they want. So Activision was the right partner for that.
walltowall
(01-27-2014, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Juan29.zapata

"Black Tusk working on fucking Gears"

It's the only thing I feel since this new IP looked awesome :(

What did you see of the new IP?
Any highlights you could share?