• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TOAO_Cyrus
(01-28-2014, 02:38 AM)
Edit: Official CCP stats
75 Titans, 13 Supercarriers, 370 Dreadnaughts, 123 carriers, 11 trillion isk, 330k USD.

And its still going with no end in site.
http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh
Remember years ago when killing one titan was a big deal?

Some backstory, like all great eve events it began with a mistake. Someone forgot to pay a rent bill which caused sovereignty of the staging system of one of the two current power blocks in the game to go neutral. The enemy quickly dropped a small fleet of capital ships to capture the system and it has escalated from there for the last ten hours. So far a confirmed 57 Titans have died on both sides with twice that number still on field. Real life currency value is estimated at 200,000 USD destroyed thus far. This completely dwarfs the famous battle of Asaki one year ago.

EDIT looks like the streamer has disconnected here is an alternate stream
http://www.twitch.tv/dobbb

EDIT: better stream
http://www.twitch.tv/dnoiz1

EDIT: now at least 69 Titans with 32 still on field for the side that has taken the bulk of the losses.

EDIT: 92 confirmed dead 55-37 split between each side.
Last edited by TOAO_Cyrus; 01-30-2014 at 12:23 AM.
darkwing
(01-28-2014, 02:44 AM)
57 titans is mind boggling
Nabs
(01-28-2014, 02:45 AM)
Welcome to the Space Jam.
Grisby
(01-28-2014, 02:46 AM)
I know that losing a Titan is kind of a thing.

With my expertise knowledge on EVE.
MiniBossBattle
(01-28-2014, 02:47 AM)
I thought destroying a Titan is really difficult. I can't imagine how 57 of them could be destroyed.
razgriz417
(01-28-2014, 02:47 AM)

Originally Posted by TOAO_Cyrus

And its still going with no end in site.
http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh
Remember years ago when killing one titan was a big deal?

Some backstory, like all great eve events it began with a mistake. Someone forgot to pay a rent bill which caused sovereignty of the staging system of one of the two current power blocks in the game to go neutral. The enemy quickly dropped a small fleet of capital ships to capture the system and it has escalated from there for the last ten hours. So far a confirmed 57 Titans have died on both sides with twice that number still on field. Real life currency value is estimated at 200,000 USD destroyed thus far. This completely dwarfs the famous battle of Asaki one year ago.

O.O god damn
Tagyhag
(01-28-2014, 02:48 AM)
$200k? Wah? I'd rip my hairs out.
SmartBase
(01-28-2014, 02:48 AM)
Jesus Christ, 57? Damn!

Inb4 the dumb dumbs posting spreadsheets.
sn00zer
(01-28-2014, 02:49 AM)
And I thought I was mad at my roommate when he was lat with rent
IAmRandom31
(01-28-2014, 02:50 AM)
Yeah the players and basically bored at this point it seems. Too much ISK flowing around and resources galore for these squads.

That is a ton of resources going boom though. Miners are probably salivating in high sec lol. Prob can't find a decent asteroid belt.

I knew one guy who had 10 accounts just for mining.
Camwi
(01-28-2014, 02:50 AM)
$200k? Holy shit. How much is a Titan worth?
789shadow
Banned
(01-28-2014, 02:51 AM)
EVE Online simultaneously sounds incredibly boring and interesting.
Lima
Safety dance
Soulflarz
Holy shit o.o 200k?!
Scum
Holy shit! :o
StopMakingSense
(01-28-2014, 02:52 AM)
God I remember when there were like 3 titans total.
gutterboy44
(01-28-2014, 02:52 AM)
I have never played a single second of EVE, nor will I likely ever, but it fascinates me to no end.
titusandronicus
(01-28-2014, 02:54 AM)
If there was a game with all this economy and piracy stuff, but you could have Halo 2/3 style gameplay on top of all the menu gameplay...it would be the best thing ever.
Mulberry
(01-28-2014, 02:55 AM)
This is both why and why I don't want to play EVE.
Amagon
Something something, Attack on Titans.
clem84
Forgive my ignorance. I know nothing of this game. What is a Titan? I imagine a huge ship? Does it cost real life money to acquire? Or maybe it takes a long time to build? Why is it such an event if one is destroyed?
Grisby

Originally Posted by sn00zer

And I thought I was mad at my roommate when he was lat with rent

Hey bro, did you pay the rent?"

"What?"
Mr.Marston
(01-28-2014, 02:56 AM)
57 titans? Damn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZLkk2Qmj0

This video pretty much explains how much effort goes into constructing just one.
jjp14
I guess you could say... they saw a lot of titans fall.

=/
adj_noun

Originally Posted by 789shadow

EVE Online simultaneously sounds incredibly boring and interesting.

Like watching paint dry on a burning house.

In space.

Originally Posted by Mulberry

This is both why and why I don't want to play EVE.

I'm in that "it's probably not for me, but I love the stories that come out of it" crowd.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(01-28-2014, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by clem84

Forgive my ignorance. I know nothing of this game. What is a Titan? I imagine a huge ship? Does it cost real life money to acquire? Or maybe it takes a long time to build? Why is it such an event if one is destroyed?

It's like a floating base, biggest ship in the game, takes so long to build due to the training requirements/skills. Crazy expensive and huge, monstrous, motherships.
phants
(01-28-2014, 02:57 AM)

They take up to two years to build and are worth $2-3k in cash.
Leunam
(01-28-2014, 02:58 AM)
Some magical shit going on in that stream.
gutterboy44

Originally Posted by Leunam

Some magical shit going on in that stream.

Lol, right? I have no idea what the fuck is happening.
razgriz417

Biggest, most expensive ship in the game. Takes a ton of money and a full month (real time) to build. And you also need to invest ton of time before hand to do quests to unlock the right to even pilot one
Tehalemi
(01-28-2014, 02:59 AM)
EVE battles can get raw and intense from what I hear. D: Wouldn't be surprised if this escalates into a full out war.

I don't know much about this, but wouldn't it be possible that unsuspecting newbies who don't know battles like these are happening end up within the line of fire, thus being royally screwed? Or is there a warning sign/alarm that's like, "don't come near this area! A gimungous clusterfuck battle of the century is happening from this point onward!! If you value your resources, gather your shit and clear out!!!"
-Horizon-

Originally Posted by phants

:O
WetPotatoBread
Am I the only one singing the whole song?
Mahonay
(01-28-2014, 03:00 AM)
Just tuned into the stream and it's a skeleton dancing to Pokemon. So, pretty good.
TOAO_Cyrus
(01-28-2014, 03:01 AM)
One titan is worth approximately 3.5k USD. This basically the equivalent of what would happen if the cold war went hot. Eve has evolved into two huge powerblocks that are effectively in an arms race. There have had several near misses for quite a while but this is the first time both sides got their full supercapital fleets on the same grid at the same time without crashing the server.

EDIT: looks like whoever is running the stream has disconnected, here is an alternate stream http://www.twitch.tv/dobbb
Nilaul

Originally Posted by Tagyhag

$200k? Wah? I'd rip my hairs out.

Only 200,000. I bet these titans would had costed a million in real life.
TTOOLL
what the hell am I watching?
adj_noun
(01-28-2014, 03:02 AM)
EVE is a skeleton dancing to the theme from Snake Eater.

I...huh.

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

Art.
clem84
(01-28-2014, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by phants

Wow if I had spent all that money and time to build one and lost it I would probably quit playing this game.
SnakeEyes
(01-28-2014, 03:03 AM)

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

What we refer to as a beautiful trainwreck - you shouldn't watch, but you just can't look away...
legacyzero
(01-28-2014, 03:03 AM)
Odrion
The reasons were sound.
(01-28-2014, 03:04 AM)
Last edited by Odrion; 01-28-2014 at 03:06 AM.
DR3AM
Banned
why does the game run at 5fps during big battles? cant they fix that shit. also, i have no idea how eve works
adj_noun

Originally Posted by legacyzero

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE
Jipan

Originally Posted by Camwi

$200k? Holy shit. How much is a Titan worth?

3,333 USD a pop.

I saw a bit of it earlier and didn't understand what was going on other than a Doomsday beam every now and then, explosions, and with total ISK loss at about $88,000. The person who's streaming it had Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon music playing in the background.

I'm shocked it's still ongoing but the stories are always fascinatiing to read about. It sounds like one hell of an epic battle.
TOAO_Cyrus
(01-28-2014, 03:05 AM)

Wow if I had spent all that money and time to build one and lost it I would probably quit playing this game.

They actually take about two months to build but it does take 2-3 years to train a character to fly them.
Slashlen
(01-28-2014, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by DR3AM

why does the game run at 5fps during big battles? cant they fix that shit. also, i have no idea how eve works

It's how they handle heavy server load. They just slow everything down until it works.
IAmRandom31
(01-28-2014, 03:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Tehalemi

EVE battles can get raw and intense from what I hear. D: Wouldn't be surprised if this escalates into a full out war.

I don't know much about this, but wouldn't it be possible that unsuspecting newbies who don't know battles like these are happening end up within the line of fire, thus being royally screwed? Or is there a warning sign/alarm that's like, "don't come near this area! A gimungous clusterfuck battle of the century is happening from this point onward!! If you value your resources, gather your shit and clear out!!!"

It should really. It is like China and the US pretty much. Not politically, but power wise. They basically own the entire Null-Sec area, any other groups out there are " renting " space for ridiculous amounts ( 2 billion was our number per month for just 2 systems ).

It got to the point to where a newb guild became popular simply because they went out and actually attacked people. Eve Online is a novel idea, freakin brilliant to play, but once you get sucked into the politics and you are flying around in a ship that will cost you weeks of playing time to lose, yeah it loses its fun factor.

Noone wants to die, noone wants to fight, etc. Until now anyway.

The bad thing about these battles though, there is absolutely no sense of scale or excitement or war. It is just a giant bubble with ships thrown all around. I for one would set a point 300KM away from the main battle and send my ships there. Send fleets of Frigates / Destroys. Fleets of Cruisers and Battlecruisers, etc. Try to add some feel of actual epic war to the whole thing. Most will use 1 ship and 1 point to warp everything in all at once all in the same area, which is why all the major battles look like a giant mass of ships pointed in all different directions.
bLaiSe
Well, that was something.
legacyzero

Originally Posted by adj_noun

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

LOL I couldn't stop watching.